WMHMS - Chapter 48




"I guess I have to go. I have an important appointment."

"Take care!"

"Get my contact information from Carcel."

Isar waved his hand dismissively, and soon his figure vanished along with a blue light.

“He's gone.”

"He's the type of guy who always comes and goes like the wind. I absolutely detest staying in one place."

"Still, I finished all the work for today!"

I held up the things I had gained today, my eyes sparkling.

So, what I obtained today was a contract and a recording magic tool.

And then, upon returning to the Count's mansion after going to the bank to keep the contract, I came face-to-face with the moment Linea was being abused.

***

"I recorded everything on the magic item I got today."

Carcel had a troubled look on his face.

"Honestly... I was hoping I wouldn't have a need to use it."

Writing this ultimately meant that Linea had been abused.

"Is your daughter alright?" 

"Probably."

To be honest, I couldn't be sure about Linea's condition.

She looked more intimidated than before.

I soon forced a smile.

"Still, Linea is a strong child, so she will get better. As long as she doesn't go back to that house."

If she went back, my mother-in-law's abuse would probably intensify, and Linea's wounds would deepen.

As if reading the sadness in my eyes, Carcel reached out his hand.

He slowly wrapped his arms around my hand as a gesture of comfort.

At that warmth, I gave a faint smile to Carcel.

"I will help Asha so that your daughter can be happy as well. You will never return to that house again."

"..."

"By any means necessary."

Carcel's words were filled with certain conviction.

I soon grasped Carcel's firm hand that had been holding mine.

"Thank you."

Carcel has truly done everything he could for me all this time.

"Honestly, Carcel is too good for me."

"I've noticed that when praise starts, the ending is often not a good story."

His suspicious look on his face was so funny that I burst out laughing without realizing it.

"What! Can't I even give a compliment? That's ridiculous."

"Especially when excessive praise is given, doesn't it usually end with the words, 'But we aren't a good match, so let's stop'?"

"Then, shall we wrap it up?"

Carcel shook his head with a face full of worry at my mischievous question.

"We still have one more date left."

I shook my head because his strangely gloomy appearance was funny.

"Don't worry! It's just a joke."

Carcel opened his mouth, staring at me with an unreadable expression as if deep in thought.

"If the former Countess finds out about this today, she probably won't stay quiet."

"I was actually thinking of visiting a law office I had looked up earlier this morning."

It was that lawyer who initially informed me of the imperial law precedents needed to take the adopted daughter upon divorce and what evidence was required to prove the abuse.

Then Carcel made a suggestion to me.

"How about entrusting this case to my legal counsel?"

"We've only done a consultation and haven't taken on the case yet, so it's fine, but... is that okay?"

I was worried that I might be relying on Carcel too much.

"If Asha agrees, I am willing to give her a heads-up at dawn."

"Time was of the essence, so I would have been grateful if you did that."

I gently shook Carcel's hand that I was holding.

"Haha."

The gaze directed at me was particularly fierce today after I smiled for no reason.

After my brief laughter, Carcel slowly parted his lips.

"Asha, I didn't mean to say it like this..."

In that moment, Carcel's eyes and mine met in the air.

It was a desperate look that made it impossible not to know what he was trying to say by starting the sentence like that.

"Now that the situation has turned out this way, I want to bring Asha under my authority and gain the right to protect you."

Perhaps thinking that I might feel burdened, Carcel explained calmly.

"Didn't you say it was a contract marriage? How about we start from there for now?"

"If it's a contract marriage, I'm sure what I'm gaining... Carcel just wants to do this because you like me, right?"

He continued speaking to me as I pointed out his actions of trying to do anything for me.

"My mother is pressuring me to get married anyway, and since I can live in the same house with Asha and your daughter, doesn't this contract marriage only have advantages for me?"

"Hmm..."

I could tell Carcel that I like him right now.

However, it feels a bit wrong to tell him things I cannot confidently say just to benefit my situation.

'To be more precise, I suppose I should say that I don't have the presence of mind to think about Carcel because of my situation.'

That's my personality.

You need to have some leisure first to be able to date, you know!

Carcel spoke to me in a lower voice than usual.

"I want to be on Asha's side more than anyone else's, your most reliable... To do that, I think it would be easier to persuade you if our relationship appeared believable to people."

"Honestly, I do like Carcel, too. It's just that I think a lot."

My head hurts just thinking about what's going to happen today!

Carcel nodded as if he fully understood my feelings.

"Does Asha not calculate and worry in advance about the numerous concerns that might arise at any moment?"

At those words, my mouth was tightly shut.

I simply couldn't say no.

Carcel was the type of person who, surprisingly, grasped everything without ever having to say it.

He is kind to me, so I forget for a moment, but he was still as sharp as when we first met, as if he had a razor-sharp sword hidden behind his back.

"Always desperate like someone fleeing from a fire, yet in the midst of it, trying to gently take full responsibility."

Carcel looked languidly into my eyes and gave a faint smile.

"I like Asha like that, and I find you lovely, but."

I bit my lip hard.

Then Carcel tightened his grip on my hand.

It's just something I have in my grasp.

In an instant, all the strength drained from my body, and for some reason, I felt helpless.

Carcel whispered to me in a low voice.

"Sometimes, I have a dark desire for Asha to entrust everything to me like an innocent child who knows nothing, and just lean on me."

"That..."

"I have never felt this way for anyone other than Asha."

Carcel's smile looked sensual and wicked, like that of the devil.

I swallowed hard, completely captivated by him and not knowing what to do.

"So, Asha, will you marry me?"

At those words, I opened my eyes wide.

“That means.”

"I intended to give Asha more time, but it seems the time has come."

Carcel let go of my hand and took out the ring case from his inner pocket.

As per the standard procedure, Carcel got up from the sofa and knelt on one knee.

"Gasp."

The gem in the open ring case was enormous, unlike anything I had ever seen in real life.

Just as I was turning pale from that alone, Carcel said to me.

"Please don't feel burdened. It simply means that from the moment you accept this engagement ring, Asha agrees to a contract marriage with me."

"You're just saying that so I don't feel pressured, right?!"

Is it becoming more burdensome?

"Let's start fresh and light."

Carcel whispered to me lazily in a slow, low voice.

"All I need is to be able to use the same last name as Asha. And with me as your backer, Asha will be able to do whatever you want."

I opened my mouth, stunned by his sharp gaze.

"I want you to use me as a tool to legally grant Asha the power to wield. So that no one can harm Asha and your daughter."

Carcel was more sincere than ever.

"Even if you do not choose the contract, I will actively cooperate in going to the Delmore estate with Asha today to bring your daughter back." 

"Carcel."

When I called his name, Carcel suddenly spoke at length.

"And regarding Asha's business, I will continue to support you with everything you need, and I will not cause you any disadvantage for not getting engaged to me, but..." 

"Carcel!"

Only then did he stop speaking.

Is it because I haven't answered for a long time?

Carcel's gaze seethed with even greater anxiety, and I wanted to reassure him.

So I simply extended my left hand to him without a word.

Seeing that, Carcel moved his lips like a fool.

I shouted at Carcel, who was looking up at me with an unreadable expression, my cheeks flushed.

"I was going to say I would do that from the beginning anyway!"


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments