WMHMS - Chapter 43




“It’s special.”

While Isar and Carcel were exchanging words, Cain, who had returned, set out a simple table of refreshments to the beat.

And Carcel took out the documents placed beside him.

"It is the contract, so please read it, Asha. Isar has already reviewed it." 

"Thank you."

After handing me the contract, Carcel even placed black tea and finger food in front of me.

And Isar stared intently at Carcel, who was acting as a servant.

I nodded only after scanning the contract for quite a while.

“It’s a perfect contract.”

There was nothing to criticize.

All the conditions were written clearly and accurately, and I could feel that Carcel had put a lot of care into it.

However, Isar intervened.

"I should add a special clause here stating that if a unique magic stone is discovered, I will receive it in kind during my tenure."

"I will speak to a lawyer and have that part corrected."

Upon hearing those words, Isar opened his mouth.

"I'll have to go check it out myself tomorrow."

“In the mine?”

"Shouldn't we verify if Countess Delmore is right? At first, I intended to just do a half-hearted job and leave, but..."

Isar looked at me coyly like a cat and opened his mouth.

"My thoughts have changed a bit."

"So you're not saying you'll decide whether to sign the contract or not after seeing the situation tomorrow, are you?"

"Didn't Countess Delmore herself say she possessed a 'special ability' so that I could go and investigate for myself before making a decision?"

Isar smiled, pulling up the corners of his mouth as if to say, "Look at me."

"I want to see your capabilities first, so I will decide whether or not to respect the employer after that."

I answered before Carcel could say anything.

"Right. I think that's likely to happen as well. Revising the contract will take time anyway."

"Asha, will you be alright?"

"I'm not worried at all since I already know it's the Magic Stone Mine. Tomorrow... can Carcel come along too?"

It seemed like he was giving me too much time lately.

I asked worriedly.

"Aren't I taking up a lot of your time?"

"Do you perhaps want to go with Isar alone, Asha?"

I glanced sideways at Isar.

A man like that, acting like a snow leopard and making it obvious he really doesn't like something?

'If I go with you, I'll just be staring at that bored look on your face all day long.'

I shook my head.

"Honestly, I much prefer having Carcel."

"Then let's go together tomorrow. If we go with that guy, we'll use teleportation, so it won't take long."

Isar grumbled at Carcel's words, which sounded as if they were already decided.

"When did I ever say I would do it?"

Carcel easily ignored Isar's words.

"He is generally a useless fellow, but he does have a talent for magic."

It certainly seemed like the two of them were real friends.

Judging by how unrestrained they are at tearing each other down.

Eventually, Isar casually tossed out a remark.

"Then I'll go tomorrow at 2 PM."

“Teleport.”

As Carcel made the request expressionlessly, Isar swept his long hair back and grumbled.

"I said I'd do it for you, so stop being such a bother."

"Asha, is this time okay? If it's not convenient, we can switch anytime."

I thought deeply and nodded.

"I think it will be fine."

I saw the mother-in-law, who had tormented Mary all night, kick her out of the house early in the morning.

'Without even giving a letter of recommendation.'

Given my mother-in-law's personality, she will spread rumors and spew all sorts of malicious gossip for a while, so it will be difficult for Mary to get a job in the capital for at least a few years.

I was worried that I might get caught in the crossfire because of this, so I brought Linea along today.

My mother-in-law is going to go around spreading all sorts of nonsense about Mary tomorrow, so I'll have to leave Linea at home.

I had overheard that Countess Annexa was hosting a dinner party tomorrow. Since Countess Annexa’s gatherings are a hot spot even in the capital, there was no way my mother-in-law wouldn’t attend, so I nodded.

"Then let's check the place out in person tomorrow and sign the contract while we're at it." 

The gathering ended only after all three of us agreed to Carcel's suggestion.

***

Isar went back, and I went to pick up Linea.

"The maids will be looking after it."

"It looks like there was a maid as well."

Last time, there were only servants, so I thought there were no maids.

"When I went to my mother's house to pick up the ring, I told her that Asha had a daughter."

"Oh, you mentioned that too?!"

"Of course. It’s not a flaw."

“So, so?”

I was worried because I didn't think Carcel's mother's reaction would have been very good.

However, he answered nonchalantly.

"She sent the daughters of the nanny and maids who raised me."

“What about your nanny's daughter?”

"Ah, the Marquisate is a place with airtight security, so most of the employees work there for generations without exception."

So, the daughters of the people who raised Carcel have been dispatched to this house?!

"They didn't come here because of Linea and me, did you?"

"Since I find it difficult to deal with women, I used to only hire servants."

Carcel nodded.

"Mother asked, if the lady of the house and the daughter are coming in, wouldn't you need someone to look after the household in advance...?"

"You are a really thoughtful person."

"Well."

Carcel also answered as if he found it somewhat unfamiliar.

"Still, since they are people who have looked after the Marquis's family for generations, it is comfortable for me as well."

"Then, those of you who are watching Linea right now, too."

"Yes."

Then Carcel knocked on the playroom door and slowly opened it.

Then, Linea and the maids who were inside came into view.

I called Linea.

"Linea, huh?"

Contrary to what I thought, she would be scared, Linea was surrounded by her older sisters and happily munching on delicious fruit.

"Oh, so cute."

"Your cheeks are like dough."

"That's amazing! Were children always this soft and squishy?"

Linea, swayed gently in the arms of the unfamiliar older sisters, was relaxed and drowsy from their touch.

"Until now, I didn't realize it because the Marquis's children all seemed like the Marquis himself, but I didn't know they were this cute."

Saying that, the maids hugged Linea tightly and rubbed their cheeks against hers.

“Be pretty”

“Be lovely”

“You’re cute”

Linea, who was being held by her older sisters who were only saying nice things, met my eyes.

"Mother!"

Then, the maids also turned their heads toward us.

“Are you here?”

"After playing a fun game, I was just about to have a snack."

Suddenly, the maids distanced themselves from Linea with a soft shush, as if they hadn't hugged her tightly at all, and became professional.

"It turns out your daughter has a talent for drawing, too."

The picture he showed while saying that was geometric.

Lanea came running over and hugged my leg tightly.

"You had a good time, didn't you? What did you draw over there?"

"Guess!"

After giving Linea a moment of thought for saying that, I gave a serious answer.

"Hmm, red flowers blooming on a pile of dirt and sunshine?"

It was an answer reached after trying my best to interpret this modern art painting.

However, at that answer, a subtle look of disappointment flickered across Linea's face.

Soon, another answer flowed from above me.

"Isn't it Asha, your daughter, and me?"

"Oh!"

Linea gasped in surprise.

Then, the maids started clapping.

"You guessed it right, Marquis."

“Congratulations!”

As I stroked Linea's hair, I began to seriously suspect that there was something wrong with my eyes.

"My mother and the Marquis are standing together, and I'm playing over there behind them."

"Oh... I see. You drew it so well!"

"Hehe."

Linea blushed warmly and liked it.

That face was cute, so I eventually cherished the painting and accepted it from the maid.

'Yeah, what does it matter? Linea is so lovely.'

And there was one more person who acted even more ridiculously than me.

Carcel looked down solemnly at the painting from behind me and said a word.

"I guess I should frame it and donate it to the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts." 

"...Are you serious?"

Even so, I still retain at least a minimum of objectivity.

"If you give me the painting, I will get it framed."

"No, sigh, fine. Let's not donate it to the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts; let's just keep it for ourselves." 

"Very well."

When I handed the painting to Carcel, he smiled faintly.

"Asha, are you going home right now?"

"Doesn't Carcel have business today, too?"

"I'm fine, but would you like to have a meal before you go?"

"You're not setting a full table again just for us, are you?"

Carcel shook his head at me for asking so suspiciously.

"Recently, my attending physician personally prepared a meal plan for me, so the dining table had become more elaborate than before."

“Where does it hurt?”

"It's not like that...”

Carcel remained silent, his mouth tightly shut in an awkward predicament. In the end, I decided not to pry any further.

Instead, I accepted his invitation.

"Then I'll just have a quick meal together before I go. Thank you again today."

Carcel's expression, which brightened strangely at my answer, was cute.

I leaned my body against him.

Then, Carcel's body, like a solid old tree, stiffened.

“What’s wrong?”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments