“Hands?!”
Of course, all this time, I held his hand every time I got on and off the carriage.
But since the purpose wasn't the act of holding hands itself, I wasn't conscious of it...
It felt like a formal date. I was a little shy about holding hands.
'But catching it might be a good idea!'
In the end, I shyly nodded and reached out my hand to Carcel.
Holding the parasol and my bag in one hand, Carcel wrapped his other hand very carefully around my hand.
“It’s too small.”
"Honestly, Carcel is much bigger than average people."
I don't know his exact height, but judging by the eye, he looks like he's close to 190cm.
Carcel's palms were rough. They were calloused and had a hard texture.
Even in this situation, the long fingers with thick, protruding joints were exquisitely delicate. These fingers, which naturally elicited the word 'pretty,' swallowed my hand.
My hand disappeared without a trace, making it hard to say I had caught it.
He asked while gently holding my hand.
"Where shall we go? Do you have a teahouse in mind?"
"I told Linea I'd buy her a snack, too. I saw in the newsletter that if you go down that alley, there's a fancy teahouse called Rubelang."
"Is it so?"
He chimed in with a smile.
I still had more to learn about what Carcel liked.
But when I saw him last time, he really didn't seem to be picky about food. It just didn't seem like he particularly preferred sweet foods.
So I found a tea shop that sells less sweet snacks!
They sell financiers that Linea would like, carcels, and scones that are at least edible!
Feeling somehow proud of having found a great restaurant that would satisfy both of us, I confidently led him.
Without noticing in the slightest that Carcel's piercing gaze was directed at a specific person.
"How is it? Is it delicious?"
I ordered the scone with lots of cheese, which is said to be the best seller, and a plain scone.
With clotted cream, strawberry jam, and even bitter black tea to go with it, the food combination was perfect!
Carcel also had a satisfied look on his face while eating a plain scone with nothing spread on it.
"It looks like Asha came here knowing that I would like this flavor."
"Actually, watching Carcel eat the other day, it seemed like you don't particularly like sweets. You didn't even touch the dessert."
“I will eat from now on.”
Carcel said with a very determined expression.
I urgently stopped Carcel, who looked like he was about to stuff his mouth full of desserts at any moment.
"No, no! I didn't mean for you to eat it! I just mean that it doesn't seem to be Carcel's taste. Don't eat it!"
"It’s not so much that it’s not to my taste, but actually, the only snack I’ve eaten since I was little is licorice jelly."
"Licorice, you mean?"
Doesn't that taste like herbal medicine?
Carcel said he liked having snacks sent, but it seems the types of snacks were different from what I had in mind.
"Do you like the taste of licorice?"
"It's just okay. It's not a flavor I particularly prefer."
I tried the licorice flavor once and couldn't eat it again.
Carcell added.
"To be honest, I don't have a particularly keen sense of taste, so I eat pretty much anything. I'm not picky about food either."
"I see."
“But I have a specialty.”
He said seriously.
"As long as I have bones, jerky, and dried vegetables, I can make stew anywhere."
“Do you cook too?”
"I’m pretty decent. I had to cook regularly when I was young."
Do they make the kids take turns cooking at boarding schools?
It must have been a very poor place.
I nodded.
"It must have been tough to do a lot of cooking when you're young."
"Actually, since they were all men, it was easy because they ate well as long as it wasn't enough to make them throw up. To be honest, I wasn't interested in whether the food suited their taste in the first place."
My guess was gradually solidifying into certainty.
'To think that the boarding school only serves jerky and oatmeal porridge, and even makes Carcel, the Young Marquis, cook.'
To think they would make him do cooking duty even after seeing that face. That boarding school headmaster must be something else.
As we talked about this and that, before we knew it, it was almost evening.
"I have to go now. I need to pick up a book delivery and feed Linea dinner."
"I have some work to take care of, so I think I need to leave now."
After simply drinking tea like that, Carcel and I left the teahouse.
This time I do the math!
"Asha. Take care."
He said as he watched me climb onto the wagon-carriage he had caught for me.
I waved my hand at Carcel.
"I'll contact you again. Please don't send anything to the Count's mansion, just in case."
Because it looks like my mother-in-law is about to cause some trouble.
Carcel opened his mouth and spoke to me as I said that.
"Of course. And, Asha."
"Yes?"
"If you need to develop anything on that land, please contact me first. I have extensive connections, so I can connect you with a trustworthy contractor."
"Ah."
Carcel was not an easy person to deal with, as expected.
I nodded.
"Then, if I contact you again, would you like to go together?"
"...Is this included in the last date?”
If we meet one more time, it will be the third time.
I shook my head at the remark, which was clearly made with this in mind.
"No, this is also business."
"If that is the case, feel free to contact me anytime. I will make it my top priority."
He gently pulled my hand, which he was holding, toward himself.
And then he politely kissed the back of my hand.
It wasn't strange, though, as it is one of the greetings a gentleman gives to a lady.
'Why... isn’t it sexy?'
Even the moment Carcel pulled his lips away and subtly met my gaze, I felt as if time had stopped, as if I had unwittingly let myself be drawn to him.
At the same time, Carcel’s lips curved languidly upward, giving a sensual smile.
"Then I will be eagerly awaiting your call."
Saying that, Carcel walked away, and the door closed.
I just blinked my eyes, still feeling dazed.
And soon, the strength drained from my body, which had been stiff with tension, and I leaned back against the carriage seat with a thud.
'Seriously... my heart is pounding.'
My friends all say their hearts feel like they're going to burst whenever they talk about dating.
Honestly, I couldn't relate.
But today I realized it.
My heart really races like it's going to burst when I get a perm!
It was spring when, at some point, I was gradually falling for Carcel, as if seeping in.
***
Two hours later, Carcel was pressing down hard on someone's neck, just enough so that they wouldn't suffocate.
"Why you chasing after Asha?"
At the bitter sneer that he had never shown in front of Asha, the man at Carcel's feet squirmed.
"...Are you ready to earn some money now?"
He discovered this rat-like bastard right from the start.
From the moment he met Asha, Carcel already remembered the faces and physiques of everyone in the square.
It was nothing more than an occupational hazard, but at some point, he became convinced that someone was following behind.
He always lived with his animal instincts pushed to their limit.
Even though he was somewhat relaxed because he was by Asha's side, this man's tailing was ridiculously poor.
Even if he were an expert, there is no way he wouldn't know.
From the looks of it, he is a beginner.
It means they are such small fry that if you act even slightly threateningly, they will quickly spill their beans.
'I don't know if it was Asha who sided with them or me.'
Carcel's red eyes grew darker, turning as murky as blood.
If he had joined from an enemy targeting him, he had to bring Asha to his mansion and protect her immediately.
'But there is no way they would have assigned a guy like this.'
Carcel put more force into his foot.
He intended to begin the interrogation in earnest.
Knock knock.
Just then, someone knocked on the door.
"Come in."
As soon as he said that, Matt entered the room.
"Duke, Countess Delmore has contacted you."
“...Asha?”
Carcel picked up the receiver that Matt was holding out of the communicator he had brought from the office.
[Carcel. Can you communicate for a moment?]
Carcel answered expressionlessly, feeling the breathing of the rat hopping and jumping under his boots.
"Of course. As long as Asha contacts me whenever you want."
He whispered in an incredibly affectionate tone.
Carcel's gaze, looking down at the rat, shone with a radiance like that of a wild beast in the darkness.
[I was just out for a quick meal with Linea and wanted to use the communicator before coming back. Carcel, would you like to take Linea to visit the land I bought when you have some free time?]
"Anytime. How about tomorrow at 10 a.m.?"
At those words, Matt made a sad face.
Lately, Matt was having a terrible time because of his boss, who even worked all night overtime for dates.
[Okay! Then where shall we meet?]
"How about coming to my house and we leave together?"
[Okay. Then... See you tomorrow.]
At Asha's shy voice, Carcel slowly closed and opened his eyes.
"Yes, Asha. I miss you."
Communication was soon lost.
And Carcel gestured to Matt to leave.
Now it was time to cook the rat.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment