Material things didn't hold much meaning for him in the first place.
Of course, the same would be true for the Duke's family.
Garen Wilbreed wasn't interested in Roselyn from the beginning either.
At first, her only way of resisting or retaliating against others was by venting her anger and irritation.
It was such a naive time.
Thanks to that, she had a pretty bad reputation in society, and as Garen disliked foolishness, he had no need to pay attention to her.
The first time he saw her was when Roselyn ran away from the Duke's mansion and was suffering from the retaliation of the nobles.
One day, she intercepted the business that Garen Wilbreed had started.
To be precise, the story is that information regarding the business Garen Wilbreed was pursuing was sold to another Count's family that disliked him.
The Count's family siphoned off people involved in the business without Garen's knowledge and snatched the business away under better conditions.
Garen Wilbreed, who had suddenly been robbed of his nose with his eyes wide open for the first time in his life, started with a hollow laugh that day and eventually burst into boisterous laughter.
At first, thinking it was the Count's family's doing, he tried to dig into their background and retaliate.
However, a month later, cries of lamentation came from another family, and three months after that, cries of lamentation flowed from yet another family.
The reason Roselyn was smart was that she rarely did anything that would harm the place to which she sold information.
Nobles have pride.
Moreover, no one would have wanted to bear the stigma of having bought information from someone like an exiled princess.
Moreover, since the businesses started by purchasing information were generally thriving, there was no reason for them to speak up.
Since they kept their mouths shut, the victimized family had no way to find out the source of the information.
Of course, Garen Wilbreed was quite persistent, so he didn't give up.
At first, he started tracking her out of rare anger, and when there were about three similar victims, including him, he continued tracking her out of curiosity.
And after threatening, persuading, and intimidating the Count's family that had stolen his business, he was finally able to hear the story from the Count.
The moment the name 'Daughter Bellion' came out of the Count's mouth for the first time, he was so delighted.
Garen Wilbreed burst into loud laughter for the first time since his wife died.
From then on, Garen Wilbreed's interest turned to Roselyn.
In fact, even after identifying Roselyn as the culprit and tracking her movements, it was not easy to obtain information.
From what he found out, she did not live a very happy life.
It seemed that she had suffered greatly for the first year or two after leaving home to become a monk.
However, instead of giving up, she gritted her teeth and threw it away, and it seemed she had decided to tear them apart with the information she had heard and gathered rather than submit and submit.
Roselyn, who blossomed by being thrown into the harsh world, was intelligent.
She was good at running away and spinning webs to avoid detection, selling information only to families where there would be no harm to one another.
With the money earned from selling information, she hired bodyguards and lived a prosperous life.
'What surprised me is that she was meeting with the Third Prince even after becoming a nun.'
To be precise, it seemed like the Third Prince was consistently visiting and meeting with jer, but...
'There was probably some information provided by the Third Prince as well.'
Yes, that is how Roselyn survived.
Even though she fell from the noblest position to the very bottom and became a merchant selling information, she ostentatiously indulged in luxury and pleasure with that money to show off.
Having survived like that, she threw filth at those who had bitten her, bitten the nobles, and finally driven her into a corner.
Thinking about it made him feel cheerful, but as he stared at the firmly closed door, his heart sank heavily.
Garen, who had suddenly found himself standing in front of the firmly closed door holding the jewelry she had sent, adjusted his clothes once and knocked.
Knock knock.
“Come in.”
Garen opened the door and went inside at the sound of a voice coming from inside.
The woman with water-colored hair saw Garen come in holding a box in his arms, and her eyes widened as she paused.
"...What are you doing here at this hour?"
"Oh dear, the Madam is already having refreshments. She asked me to have afternoon tea."
Garen looked at the traces of the tea time with a feigned sense of pity and spoke.
She lowered her gaze sourly to look at the half-destroyed dessert, then looked back at Garen.
"When are you going to grant me a divorce?"
Garen smiled silently at the question, which was now asked as if it were a greeting.
"I won't get a divorce."
"I can't breathe."
"Let's go for a walk."
The Marchioness kept her mouth shut as she watched Garen casually change the subject.
"I'm saying that I feel suffocated when I'm with you."
Her water-colored eyes, identical to her hair, were glaring at him with resentment.
"...That's why I only come over once a day for tea time, you know. Please let it slide."
Garen said as he placed the box down on the table.
"I don't understand why you're suddenly acting like this when you were so obsessed with work that you didn't care about me at all."
"I told you. That I like you."
"What kind of prank is this time? Please just leave me alone. If you're not going to divorce me, then just pretend you don't know me like you used to."
The Marchioness, who was usually calm and gentle, squeezed her eyes shut and screamed.
Garen remained silent, wearing a picture-perfect smile as always.
He believed the box he brought instead was in front of her.
"The child I want to adopt told me to give it to you."
The Marchioness's eyes widened at Garen Wilbreed's words.
"...What is it that you suddenly want to adopt as your child?"
"It is exactly as I said. If you have tea with me next time, I will let you know."
She clamped her mouth shut at Garen's words, mixed with laughter.
She opened the box with a reluctant look, opened her eyes wide, and paused.
Looking back and forth between Garen and the ornaments with an expression of disbelief, the Marchioness finally parted her lips after a long while.
"Marquis, why are you really doing this...?"
Garen remained silent at her question.
"After all, it was I who proposed the marriage first, so I didn't resent the Marquis even when you acted indifferently. Still, being human, I struggled too. So I let go little by little, and only now have I given up on everything, having barely managed to let go..."
"..."
"If you didn't want to hear me suggest a divorce, I won't do it anymore. I had no intention of tarnishing the Marquis's honor, so please, stop."
The Marchioness almost begged. Garen's eyelids trembled slightly.
Garen, who had been sitting in front of his frightened wife for a moment, slowly rose from his seat after a long silence.
"I'll be coming at this time again tomorrow."
"..."
"I have a lot I want to tell you, Madam. I will wait until you are ready, so please tell me whenever you are ready."
The Marchioness kept her mouth shut at Garen Wilbreed's words.
"Princess Bellion bought that. Even if I don't like it, she said she bought it out of consideration for you, so please don't throw it away."
"..."
"Have a good day today, Madam."
The Marchioness kept her mouth shut until Garen closed the door and left.
She stared down at the jewelry silently for quite a while, even after he had left.
***
“What, what... what?”
Ian Bellion, who had been gaping in confusion at Roselyn for suddenly showing up and making a bombshell out of the blue, stupidly asked back.
One eye was black and white, gauze was stuck to the cheek, and the face was so swollen that it was hard to recognize who it was.
It seemed that the rumors were true that he received mental training from the Duke personally every day under the pretext of sparring.
"I told you to quit the Makluxa."
"No! Before that!"
Ian Bellion screamed with slurred speech.
"Ah."
Roselyn let out a gasp with an expressionless face.
"If you don't quit, you'll die soon."
"Never mind that! Before that! And aren't you going to call me Uncle properly?!"
Roselyn frowned in annoyance at the ridiculous sight of Ian Bellion pointing his finger with a swollen face.
'Even before that?'
Ah. Bothered.
Roselyn decided to just repeat what she had said earlier.
"I saw a future where my uncle dies, and because of you, the whole family is ruined. Grandfather, Father, and even my uncle will all die."
"..."
She spoke once again, without any change in tone.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment