Warm sunshine shining down, incomparable to the North, and pretty flowers blooming everywhere.
Zion and I opened our eyes wide as if we couldn't believe it.
It was a stark contrast to the dreary North. One could truly say it looked as if it had been modeled after heaven. To think I would see things so fresh and youthful, brimming with a sense of life just by looking at them!
"Sister, this is heaven..."
"That's what I think too..."
Zion and I muttered blankly and busily rolled our eyes.
"Ma'am."
It was around the time I was exploring the South with excited eyes. I scurried over at Noelier's call.
"The servants are carrying the luggage. Weren't you tired?"
"Not at all. Thank you for worrying about me."
"That is a relief, then."
Noelier smiled gently as if relieved.
“Leader.”
Just then, someone's voice cut between us.
A white-haired man wearing a monocle was approaching us.
“Hopper.”
"Leader, it's been a long time."
He stopped and bowed politely to Noelier.
'If it's Hopper!'
I recalled the content of the novel.
He was someone who strongly opposed Rachel bringing Zion to the South for the first time.
The Minister of the South, the one who has served the leader Noelier since childhood!
I swallowed hard. Maybe that person really does recognize that I am a wolf...!
Thinking that made me tremble. I stuck close to Noelier. Of course, I didn't forget to tuck Zion under my arm.
Hopper, who had approached us before we knew it, adjusted his glasses and narrowed his eyes.
"...It is indeed that person."
I was extremely nervous at the tone that sounded like it came from many years of experience, so I clutched the hem of my clothes tightly.
"I have been waiting for you, my dear companion."
"... Yes?"
However, the response was the exact opposite of what I expected.
"I am Hopper, serving the Leader."
Hopper, wearing a benevolent smile, bowed to me.
"Hello!"
Unlike me, who bowed my head in bewilderment, Zion greeted him with an energetic voice and bowed deeply.
I spoke to Zion with my eyes.
'You must never show your ears. Not your tail, either!'
It was something I had warned him about time and time again before coming here, but no matter how much I said it, it felt like it wasn't enough. Sensing my gaze, Zion pounded his chest with a triumphant look on his face. It meant that I should trust only him.
'You have to be able to believe it...'
I shook my head as I recalled Zion's achievements.
"Hi, little one."
At that moment, Hopper met Zion's eyes and smiled brightly.
Hopper welcomed Zion and me with such a kind attitude. No, rather than kindness, rather...
"I hope you had no trouble getting here."
“Yes. Not at all.”
"I am relieved. I was very worried that you might be inconvenienced."
You look overflowing with love?
I couldn't believe it. In the original novel, Hopper had a stubborn personality and felt like the very 'textbook example of a deputy.'
Of course, it was only natural to hate wolves, who were sworn enemies. Moreover, Rachel brought Zion in after the death of the leader, Noelier.
To think of a wolf in that situation, and a hybrid at that. It was understandable that he would despise Zion. It was a part I somewhat accepted while reading the novel as well.
'Then, do you really firmly believe that I am human...'
I glanced at Hopper. He showed no signs of suspicion or trying to probe.
"You must have had a hard time getting here, so why don't you rest first?"
Hopper spoke with a benevolent smile. Noelier nodded as if to say so, but I hadn't come here to rest.
"There is a place I’d like to visit before that. I’d like to look at some old books; would that be possible?"
I needed more information about the legend. I thought that perhaps there might be important clues written in the ancient texts.
But even so, seeing an old book as soon as we arrived seemed strange, even to me. However, Hopper nodded without much thought.
"Understood. I will guide you."
Then, others followed behind me. It was Zion on the right, Rachel on the left, and Noelier behind.
“Do you want to follow me?”
At my question, the three of them nodded as if they had made a pact.
'Come to think of it. I don't know the geography of this place very well, either. It's good for asking questions about things not in the book.'
I nodded slightly.
“Leader.”
However, Hopper, who was walking ahead, called out to Noelier with a troubled expression.
"I apologize... but there are many things I have to wait for the Leader's approval. I have also received a reply regarding the matters you mentioned at that time."
Noelier did not answer and kept his mouth shut. Judging by the way he gestured at me, I could sense that he was hesitating.
'It would be strange to throw a tantrum and ask to go with me at a time like this.'
I nodded as if to say it was okay.
"Go on over. I'm fine."
As soon as I said that, Rachel stuck to my leg.
“It’s okay because you have me.”
"..."
Noelier, who had been looking back and forth between Rachel and me, soon let out a sigh.
“I’ll be back soon.”
I shook my head as if to say I was fine and followed Hopper again with the children.
The place Hopper showed me was a library so large that my neck hurt just looking around.
As if it had been deliberately left empty, no other presence was felt.
"The books are mainly managed here. If you are looking for a specific book, please let us know here."
With those words, Hopper moved away from me.
"Wow, this place is really spacious!"
Zion ran around busily, as if astonished by the enormous quantity of books.
"You should be quiet in a place like this, Zion."
Of course, they stopped right away at my words, though.
"Zion, come over here. I'm going to show you something fun."
Rachel smiled brightly and waved to Zion. Zion, who had been sulking, scurried over to Rachel's side as if nothing had happened.
The children started whispering to each other with a small book between them.
'Now I can finally watch it comfortably.'
Only then could I look around the study with peace of mind.
However, the volume of books was too vast.
'Where on earth is it?'
While I was wandering around for a while, a book caught my eye.
I could tell it was old just by looking at the cover. I carefully took out the book.
<History of the Caspian Continent and the South>
I slowly read through the table of contents.
The Death of the First Leader and the Politics of Continental Partition
I read through the paragraph while skipping over the other parts.
...With the heavens ruled by gods and the underworld by death, a being was needed to rule the earth. Thus, he sent dragons down to the world in his place.
The dragons who had settled in the warm south begged the red dragons, the strongest among them, to rule this place.
The Red Dragon, the strongest among them, did not welcome this. Rather, he wished to enjoy a leisurely life while caring for the weak Beastmen.
Admiring his gentle nature, the Southern Beastmen begged the Red Dragon to become their master, and unable to refuse, the Red Dragon took the position of the first leader of the South.
Meanwhile, some humans, misunderstanding that the dragons' two hearts signify eternal life, invaded the South.
The first leader captured the dragon hunters, but in the process, fell victim to human trickery and suffered serious injuries.
At this time, a cunning northern wolf stole the first leader's heart and ran away, and the first leader, unable to control his overflowing power, died with the words, "I will return and kill that wolf with my own hands."
The dragons, having lost their leader, headed north to find the wolf, and eventually, a war broke out between the South and the North.
However, they could not recover the heart of the first leader, and the long war gradually expanded its power, spreading to the East and West.
Eventually, the mermaid leader of the East and the lion leader of the West appeared and mediated the fight.
Following the wishes of the first leader, who had always cared for the prisoners, the war came to an end, but the strained relationship between the South and the North became irreparable.
Meanwhile, some people appeared, claiming that since the North and the human world are adjacent, the wolves collaborated with dragon hunters to sell their hearts to the human world.
That claim triggered a war between the dragons and the human world, which led to the complete separation of the beast world and the human world, and the whereabouts of the heart became a mystery.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment