I swallowed hard.
It was only natural that Noelier cared more about Southerners than about us Northerners.
'What if something goes wrong with my mental health? What if they tell me to take responsibility?'
I glanced at the bundle of money hidden in the corner.
'How could I take the money I earned...!'
I rolled my eyes and looked at the man.
Aside from the arm singed by Noelier's touch, he looked fine overall. Of course, his clothes were burnt black. Well, never mind that.
'Shall I take a look?'
I approached him cautiously. His snake-like eyes turned toward me.
“Are you okay?”
"..."
Suddenly, the man stiffened. At the same time, his face began to flush red.
'Surely the fever hasn't completely gone down, has it?'
I definitely didn't feel anything, but I was about to place my hand on his forehead to check the wound.
"Ah...!"
Suddenly, a short groan was heard. I stopped reaching out my hand and turned my gaze.
"Noelier? What's wrong?"
"Eve."
He was like a restless puppy. Looking anxious. He kept biting his lip.
"That..."
"...?"
Noelier mumbled and could not continue speaking.
Why is that? Just as I was tilting my head in confusion, a thought suddenly crossed my mind.
"No way!"
I suddenly lifted my head. Startled as well, Noelier flinched.
“Do you have a fever?”
"... Yes?"
I gestured to the man who was still sitting down.
The skin, which had turned black the moment Noelier's hand touched it, was proof of the power Noelier possessed.
Suddenly, I remembered my first meeting with Noelier.
In the original story, Noelier touched his fingers with Rachel's to prove they were siblings. At that, a flame burst forth from Rachel's hand as if it had been waiting for this moment.
'Surely the heat hasn't transferred or anything like that... it can't be, right?'
There might be a hidden power in that gem.
As I thought about it that far, my mind became troubled.
Noelier, looking momentarily bewildered at my words, hurriedly nodded.
"Yes. That's it. I have a fever."
As expected, I let out a deep sigh. It is a good thing I was quick-witted; otherwise, I might have met a tragic end.
"If that were the case, you should have told me sooner."
I got up from my seat.
“Is it that bad?”
"..."
Noelier nodded with a flushed face. Seeing how red it had turned all the way to the tips of his ears, it seemed really bad.
As their eyes met, Noelier blinked slowly. His left eye opened half a beat later. It was an unintentional wink.
'I mean, he has the kind of beauty that would have charmed a lot of people.'
I shook my head and marveled quietly.
'But unexpectedly, he has a surprisingly innocent side.'
The way he trembles every time we touch, and the way he blushes—it's all like that.
'If it weren't for the dragon, I would have devoured it. You should consider yourself lucky.' I opened my mouth, hiding the cunning wolf's heart.
"Where is it worst?"
At my question, Noelier shook his head with a tearful expression, as if he didn't know.
He seemed like the scariest person in the world when dealing with that man.
It seemed that even for Noelier, the surging heat was unavoidable. Seeing how endlessly gentle he was becoming like this.
I stretched out my hand to cool him down. However, due to the significant height difference, my hand could not reach his head.
In the end, I waved my hand a couple of times as if asking him to lower himself. At that, Noelier shook his head with a tearful expression.
"No, you do not want?"
"That's not it..."
As if hesitating, Noelier bit his lip, avoided my gaze, and muttered.
"I would like you to hold my hand."
"..."
"I thought it would be a bit cooler that way..."
Noelier trailed off, looking shy. Seeing him like a blushing bride, I struggled to hold back the steam threatening to burst out.
"Of course I'll do it for you."
Actually, other places besides the hands are fine too...
No, this isn't the time for this. What are you thinking right in front of someone who is having a hard time?
I held onto my composure and carefully took his hand.
Then, as if he had been waiting for this, he put on a gasp. A wave of stinging heat rushed into my body, and I flinched involuntarily.
Noelier let out a trembling breath. Seeing his relaxed face, I couldn't help but smile. At times like this, he looked even gentler than Zion.
"What on earth is this...?"
Just then, a small murmur cut through between us. Snake-like eyes were staring at Noelier and me in confusion.
"Do you know how to control the leader's heat? By what means?"
The man looked at me with a look of disbelief.
'Oops!'
I hurriedly pulled my hand away. I would be mistaken for a wolf even if I just stood still, but to think I even showed him ice magic...!
However, the man who witnessed our contact muttered with a serious face.
"A Northerner controlling the Leader's fire..."
Could it be the wolf that stole the heart?
At the man's muttering, I trembled like someone struck by lightning.
No! Don't think!
I managed to fool the innocent siblings well, but this man might have noticed.
I hid my hands behind my back. I hit a hard wooden table.
'Apple, where is the apple!'
It was then that I was fumbling around looking for an apple.
Squeak.
The old wooden door opened slowly. Our gaze naturally turned toward it.
"Ruby!"
The person who entered was Rachel. Zion approached Rachel's side with a flushed face.
"..."
The red eyes, resembling Noelier's, looked exceptionally calm today. As if the way she cried out of fear was all an illusion.
"Ruby."
Zion circled around Rachel like a puppy coming out to greet its owner.
"Did you have a good walk? Is your head okay? You can't hear that strange voice anymore?"
"..."
Rachel quietly nodded. Her eyes were slightly swollen, though not as much as Zion's.
"Miss!"
The man sprang to his feet. Rachel's red eyes followed him.
"What on earth happened? You know everything, don't you, young lady?"
Everything?
I looked at Rachel with surprised eyes. Rachel was still staring at the fuming man with an expressionless face.
'Did you fully regain your memory because of the shock just now?'
I unconsciously swallowed hard.
Rachel slowly turned her head. Her red eyes met mine. I flinched involuntarily. It felt as though she would figure out my true identity at any moment.
"Rachel...?"
I smiled awkwardly. Rachel slowly approached me. Her movements were like those of a beast with its prey right in front of it.
Rachel stopped between Noelier and me. I swallowed hard.
"...Sister."
Then, Rachel opened her arms toward me.
“Please hug me.”
"... Yes?"
I just blinked my eyes with a flustered expression.
"Hug me, sister."
As I remained still, Rachel waved his arm and urged me on. Seeing that she looked no different than usual, I felt a little relieved.
Is it because you're anxious?
I leaned down toward Rachel. Rachel clung to me like a koala.
After adjusting my hold so I could hug her comfortably, I let out some cold air to prepare for any unforeseen circumstances.
At that moment, Rachel raised her head toward Noelier, who was standing next to me.
The siblings' red eyes met.
"..."
"..."
It was around the time when everyone's eyes in the cabin were focused on Rachel.
“Hehe.”
As if she had never cried, Rachel turned her head toward me with a wide smile. Then, she stretched out her arms with all her might and tightly hugged my neck. A warm heat enveloped my body.
“...Rachel?”
"Yeah, older sister."
Rachel returned to her adorable self. I looked bewildered, with a question mark floating above my head.
Rachel, who had been rubbing her face against my chest, suddenly lifted her head.
When she rubbed her face against my chest, Rachel suddenly lifted her head.
“Here, here.”
Then, she reached out her small hand and pulled Noelier's arm.
Noelier instinctively snuggled up beside me. His upper body was leaning slightly toward me. Thanks to that, our shoulders touched.
"..."
"..."
Our eyes met. At such a close distance, I involuntarily gasped.
My heart felt like it was pounding violently. It was a strange thing. Was it because of his heat?
Rachel, holding me with her left arm and Noelier with his right, shouted with a proud look on her face.
"They are my older sister and brother!"
“...Sister?”
The man narrowed his eyebrows and asked back.
Rachel nodded vigorously and spoke in a spirited voice.
"Yes. My sister-in-law!"
I gaped.
...What sister?
Sister- in -law?!
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment