Etienne, who visited the fishing spot with his friends, could not concentrate on fishing the whole time.
"Your Excellency, all the fish have escaped."
Because of the fish that only ate the bait and ran away, Cedric repeatedly pulled up the empty fishing rod next to him and hooked the bait.
Even with Cedric's reprimand, Etienne's stern expression remained as he leaned deeply back in his chair.
'This can't go on like this.'
Even though he had made up his mind to hurt her, his resolve strangely kept wavering whenever he saw Shioana.
Taking Diana and her friend to the sea was also done with the intention of tormenting Shioana.
'Actually, Shioana didn't really care.'
Diana blatantly flirted with his arm and tried to seduce him, but Shioana didn't even blink. Instead, she provoked him by flirting with Count Tenubis.
"...Your Excellency."
"What."
His eyes were bloodshot as he straightened his back from being called several times by Cedric.
"I have gathered all the materials."
Cedric, who was conscious of the other nobles while fishing across the lake, whispered in a low voice. Over the past few months, they had gathered evidence to prove someone's wrongdoing.
It was by no means an easy task, as most of those involved in the incident long ago had passed away and left almost no evidence.
"But as I looked around, I found something interesting."
"Could anything be more interesting than this?"
"It seems Marquis Calix looked after the Grand Madman."
Etienne let out a hollow laugh at the unexpected combination.
Marquis Calix also had a bad relationship with the Bernhard family. The Marquis tried to take his life several times.
However, it was hard to believe that Grand Mother Bernhard and Marquis Calix had joined hands.
"What about the son's side?"
"It seems Raul has nothing to do with this."
"That's a shame."
If Raul was even slightly involved in this matter, Etienne intended to get rid of him first.
'Because I kept disapproving of the way he was hitting on Shioana.'
Although he was relieved to have her in this mansion through marriage, he still didn't feel lighthearted.
“Why am I not satisfied?"
"Is there something weighing on your mind, Your Excellency?"
"I mean the Duchess. How have the past fifteen days been?"
Although he had already read the report Cedric had prepared, Etienne was curious about Shioana's daily routine. He had been consumed by thoughts of her the entire time they were apart.
"Didn't she go out separately?"
“As far as I know, yes.”
At Cedric's words, Etienne's lips twisted cruelly. He knew very well how much Shioana relied on Martha.
So, under the pretext of treatment, he deliberately kicked Martha and the child out.
"Now that I'm the only one by her side, she'll only look at me."
"... Yes?"
Cedric flinched in surprise at the chilling madness felt in broad daylight. His surprise was brief, however, and to fulfill his duty, Cedric cautiously began to speak.
"Your Excellency, by the way, what do you intend to do about Miss Diana?"
"Why should I care about that woman?"
It was Cedric who was put in a difficult position when the Duke made a face as if he had absolutely no idea.
Rumors were rampant at the Bernhard estate that the current Duchess would soon be cast out and Miss Diana would become the mistress.
"I say this because you often go out together, and Miss Diana is staying at the mansion."
"Miss Diana is the Grand Madam's guest; I have no interest in her."
"Couldn't the Duchess have an unnecessary misunderstanding?"
The Duchess could not possibly be unaware of the rumors spreading throughout the mansion, but looking at His Excellency now, he had absolutely no intention of divorcing.
"For now, we must not arouse unnecessary suspicion in the Grand Madam, so do not convey any unnecessary words."
"All right."
Wiping the cold sweat from his forehead, the Duke opened his mouth while looking at the newly cast fishing rod.
"The fish are starting to bite, so I think it's time to reel that in."
At his words, Cedric looked at the fishing rod cast into the lake, but it did not move at all.
Then, a moment later, realizing the Duke's true intentions, he bowed his head.
"We will ensure that preparations proceed without any setbacks."
***
The Grand Madam insisted that they gather to drink tea at least once a day.
They said it was to build a strong bond, but for Shioana, it was nothing more than taking bitter medicine.
"Make sure not to leave a single drop."
Grand Madam personally checked to see if Shioana finished drinking all the medicinal tea.
As Shioana finished drinking the bitter medicine and wiped the corners of her mouth with a handkerchief, Diana rubbed the Grand Madam's arm and flattered her.
"How can Mother be so kind?"
"Isn't it only natural for a mother to look after her daughter-in-law?"
At the mention of 'daughter-in-law', Shioana almost burst out laughing. The Madam had never once acknowledged her as family. Even when they were together, she never once offered Shioana a warm word.
'The same goes for Etienne, though.'
He forced the marriage and turned her into a Duchess in name only.
"Mother, how is your skin so beautiful? I would like to learn your secret."
"Oh come on, what's so great about my old skin?"
As Shioana watched the two of them chatting affectionately, she felt a sense of familiarity. After all, her father and Eli had always treated her as if she weren't even there.
'How amazing.'
Even though they were different in gender and age, the Grand Madam resembled Count Noah or his aunt Marilyn.
The two of them laughed again, and as Shioana endured the torture-like time, she pictured Harriet in her mind.
'Because if I just hold out a little longer, Harriet can get healthy.'
It is a bit difficult being away from her only family, but if she can just get through this hurdle, she might be able to go out with Harriet.
When she thought of her nephew toddling toward a flock of pigeons near the fountain, she felt annoyed, and the situation didn't matter at all.
"Mother, His Excellency would want a son more than a daughter, wouldn't he?"
"Of course. Sons are the best. What use are women when it comes to carrying on the family lineage and elevating its prestige?"
Shioana, who had raised her head at their words, barely managed to swallow the laughter that was about to burst out.
'Does she realize that she is calling herself a useless human being with her own mouth?''
After all, the three people in the drawing room are daughters of the nobility.
Shioana covered her mouth with her hand, but the Grand Madam opened her mouth as if in a dream.
"How lovely would a child who resembles both of you be?"
"Oh my, I'm embarrassed to hear that already."
"No, don't do that. Let me see your hand. I'd like to give this to Diana."
The Grand Madam placed the large ruby ring she was wearing on Diana's hand.
"Mother, that is such a beautiful ring."
"This ring has been given to the mistress of the Bernhard family for generations. Let me see. It suits you well."
Katrina was genuinely happy as she stroked the back of Diana's hand wearing the ring.
"Instead of this, shall we look at some other things?"
Several intricately crafted jewelry boxes brought by an employee were stacked in rhythm, and Katrina opened them and recommended them to Diana while explaining.
"This is the brooch I received when I married the late Duke. What do you think?"
The butterfly-shaped brooch was densely packed with diamonds and rubies, making it dazzling just to look at.
"Mother, I cannot accept something this precious."
Diana declined, and Katrina gestured to Shioana, who had been quietly watching them.
"Come here and help our Diana."
"...What?"
"Let's choose the jewels together to be used as the wedding gifts for Diana and Duke Bernhard."
Of course, she didn't want to do that.
However, since she could not ignore the Grand Madam's words, she sat down beside them with a reluctant expression.
"I also have a tiara set with rubies; I think it would be really nice to wear that together as well."
While the Grand Madam and Diana looked at various jewelry, Shioana grew increasingly pale. Ignoring her was bearable.
'No, actually, am I just pretending to endure it?'
Shioana felt a strange sensation as she watched her mother-in-law, the Madam, personally acknowledge Diana as her daughter-in-law.
'It feels like my spot has been taken away.'
It wasn't even a real marriage.
Just then, Diana, who was stroking the ring that was a family heirloom of the Bernhard family, spoke up as if she were doing a favor.
"You'd better hurry up and ask His Excellency for at least a mansion as alimony. You'll need to secure a way to live with the child."
"...Ah."
Overwhelmed by a sense of humiliation, Shioana tightly clutched the dress above her thighs with her hands.
'I never thought I would officially become Duchess Bernhard. It’s not that I didn’t know that someday I would have to leave this mansion again.'
There was a big difference between knowing something and actually facing it.
'I know everything...'
As she recalled Etienne's unusually cold face, a surge of sadness welled up inside her.
'I thought he would at least say goodbye himself...'
It seemed that even that was a vain wish of hers.
At that moment, Shioana felt nauseous and had a strong urge to vomit.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment