OIAR - Chapter 102




Evening a few days ago.

Duke Bernhard, the Duchess, the Grand Madam, Diana, and Viscount Conrad were at the table together.

"It feels like it's been a really long time since we've all had a meal together like this. Now it finally feels like a real home."

Katrina, who had been very pleased, cast a cold gaze at Shioana, who was sitting across from her.

"Yes, it is a great relief that the Duchess has also regained her strength."

"I apologize for causing you worry."

Shioana, who appeared a week after collapsing in the rain, whispered softly.

The meal continued quietly, but everyone was startled when Diana suddenly gagged loudly in the middle of it.

The Grand Madam, her eyes wide with surprise, stroked the back of Diana's hand.

"...If?"

“No, probably not.”

As Diana blushed and shook her head, the atmosphere at the dining table became awkward.

Then the Grand Madam smiled and spoke to the Duke.

"I wish the sound of a child's laughter would be heard in this mansion soon. What is your opinion, Duke?"

The Duke answered without the slightest hesitation.

"Well, I haven't thought about it."

"Still, doesn't Your Excellency's family need an heir?"

When Diana asked again, the Duke spoke dryly.

"That is a matter for me, the head of the household, to handle, so I do not think it is something to discuss here."

It was obvious to anyone that the Duke was annoyed by the child. At his words, Shioana, who had been extremely tense, let her shoulders slump.

'Etienne doesn't seem to like children very much.'

Furthermore, although she denied it, Diana might also be carrying his child.

'It’s not strange, since they always went around together.'

A pitiful look briefly crossed Shioana's face as she secretly stroked her lower abdomen.

'I don't want you to be a child who isn't loved.'

One child like her was enough.

She acted brave, but Eli and her father's indifference was more venomous than Regbell's coldness, leaving a hole in Siona's heart.

And the wound that had not yet healed continued to grow larger to this day.

***

As soon as Shioana got up from her sickbed, the Grand Madam forced her to drink tea again.

Because the Grand Madam was watching what she drank, it was impossible to throw it away secretly.

"Isn't it because your body is so weak that you keep collapsing?"

"... Yes."

"The Duke is destined for important work in the future, so I must keep him on edge over such a trivial matter."

Although she had softened a little compared to the beginning, her teaching tone remained the same. As soon as Shioana finished her tea, Diana appeared carrying a large amount of shopping supplies.

"Mother, look at this."

The bundle Diana took out was full of baby clothes, bibs, toys, and shoes.

"How can they all be so small and cute?"

The two of them smiled brightly while looking at baby products, forgetting that Shioana was there.

"They say the May bride is the most beautiful. What do you think, Diana?"

"I don't really know about that."

As Diana blushed and looked shy, the Grand Madam smiled broadly.

'There really are all sorts of ways to look down on people.'

Shioana, having secretly swallowed a sigh, opened her mouth softly.

“I will wake up first.”

"You're still there? I heard you're a fallen family with nothing to your name, but it seems you lack even common sense."

Despite the madam's cold tone, Shioana bowed respectfully and left the drawing room.

However, even after escaping those two, she did not feel at ease. She felt stifled by the guards following Shioana around all day.

'Are they protecting me or watching me?'

She didn't hold any particular ill feelings toward the guard standing behind her. After all, he was just doing what Etienne ordered.

"I'm thinking of going out to the garden."

Shioana deliberately started walking toward the garden opposite the rose garden.

She's been thinking a lot these days.

Martha and Harriet, the baby in her womb and herself.

'What choice should I make?'

Shioana leaned back on the swing hanging from the tree, held the rope, and gently swayed her body. No matter how much she thought about it, she couldn't be sure what the best course of action was.

"...Ha."

Eighty percent of the sighs she was letting out right now were because of Etienne. Ever since the day he rejected Shioana, Etienne hadn't visited her bedroom. It had reached the point where he wouldn't even greet her when they ran into each other at the dining table.

"At this rate, there isn't even a chance to convey it..."

At this rate, she's going to end up remembering only Etienne’s face, who was constantly angry.

"I miss you."

Shioana, looking up at the clouds drifting leisurely, muttered to herself.

"It wouldn't be what I want to see."

For the first time in a long while, Etienne approached her.

As he appeared, dressed entirely in black—a black shirt, black pants, and a dark jacket—it seemed as though darkness had descended upon the lush garden.

"That's because I wanted to see Harriet..."

Shioana didn't want to be caught wanting to see him. At her words, Etienne's expression crumpled in an instant.

"Are you still talking about him? Have you already forgotten that I told you not to mention him in front of me?"

He strode over and violently shook the ropes of the swing where Shioana was sitting. Deep wrinkles formed on Etienne's forehead at how much he was throwing a tantrum.

"I have something to tell you..."

Shioana reached out to touch the back of his hand, but Etienne dodged her touch and let go of the rope.

"Shit!"

He spat out a curse and turned around, and Shioana, sitting on the swaying swing, looked at Etienne's retreating figure.

The blonde hair shone in all directions in the sunlight, and she felt like she was going to cry.

"Etienne."

Shioana hurriedly called out to him.

It wasn't common to be alone together like this.

"Why haven't you been coming to the bedroom lately?"

"Why are you asking that?"

"It bothered me a little that you said you couldn't fall asleep unless it was me."

Her voice grew softer and softer, as if she was clinging to him for being so heartless.

However, it was something she absolutely had to let him know, and since opportunities like this don't come often, she had to muster up the courage.

"Are you really that clueless?"

Etienne slowly turned around and looked at her as if mocking her.

"I am asking if you cannot see or hear anything happening in this mansion."

At his words, Shioana recalled Diana's triumphant look.

'Child, wedding preparations, Duchess...'

Could it mean the exit of the fake Duchess? But she didn't want to get into any unnecessary misunderstandings.

"What on earth are you trying to say?"

Shioana had to hear it directly from his own mouth.

"I thought you were quite smart, but were you not?"

"Are you telling me to leave this house?"

You made such a fuss telling me not to go one day, and to think you've changed your face overnight like this.

In response to her question, Etienne gave only a cold stare and gave no answer. Growing impatient, Shioana clenched her fist tightly and spoke.

Even if she were to leave, she had to say this.

"Etienne, by any chance... I... the child..."

Etienne cut her off before she could even finish speaking.

"Oh my god!"

Etienne strode over, bent down, and tightly gripped her shoulders.

"You still don't understand? I absolutely hate children."

“But you said, ' Give me a child.'”

"That was just something I said to torment you. And even if I saw a child in you, would I accept that child?"

Etienne's voice was more serious and cold than usual.

Shioana instinctively covered her stomach with her hand. Etienne's eyes gleamed as he closely observed her gesture.

"Why, are you seriously pregnant?"

She couldn't say she was pregnant in a situation like this. As Shioana shook her head silently, he continued sharply.

"You'd better not even think about claiming another guy's child is mine."

"...Ah."

As terrible words continued to pour out, Shioana bit her lip tightly.

"I need to go inside first."

As Shioana hurriedly disappeared, Etienne let out a short sigh while composing his crumbling face.

Then, a sound was heard from the bushes, and Diana appeared.

"...Your Excellency."

She immediately hugged Etienne around the waist.

Etienne gritted his teeth at the disgusting gesture.

'I shouldn't have come here...'

He felt like he was constantly hurting Shioana, so he was deliberately avoiding her.

However, as the days without seeing Shioana dragged on, he could not breathe properly.

'The madam is in the garden.'

As soon as he heard those words, Etienne ran here without thinking. And the moment he saw her sitting on the swing, his heart felt heavy.

Shioana looked so lonely today

'How long do I have to keep doing such stupid things?'

He cursed himself for being foolish, unable to let Shioana go even though he hated her.

'I didn't plan to push you this far...'

Just as he was about to ask if she was in any pain, he spotted a pair of eyes glaring at him from the bushes.

So he hurt Shioana more viciously than usual, even though he could clearly see sadness settling on her face.

'It couldn't be helped, though.'

Shioana was no longer here, and he might never get a chance to even make an excuse in his lifetime. As he released Diana's arm, he asked nonchalantly.

“What’s going on?”

"I bought some baby products, and I thought it would be good to look at them together."

“...Baby products?”

Etienne couldn't get a sense of what Diana was talking about.

"My Grand Madam said that since we are both young and healthy, we will have a baby soon."

Etienne let out a hollow laugh at the ridiculous nonsense, but he held it back.

"...Oh, I see."

Etienne, replying half-heartedly, had his eyes fixed on the direction where Shioana had disappeared.


Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments