KTBYM - Chapter 40




I practically jumped into the middle of the table and asked a question.

"Ah. Right, this is a story Young Lady Hyrn doesn't know yet. Just as you expected, Sir Rudis really did know the way!"

"Now, now, calm down. Let's talk step by step. Just like the most comfortable and classic flute."

'Ah, as expected of the protagonists.'

It seemed the two had already laid out an escape plan to some extent. As expected, things proceed smoothly now that the protagonist is involved.

"I suppose I should start with the subordinate contract, right? Sir Rudis, please explain."

'Ah, indeed, Rudis.'

All I could do was keep sighing in admiration. The past days of struggling alone against Eon flashed before my eyes like a slideshow.

It was true that Rudis knew the secret of magic, just like in the original story. Karina wondered how I knew that fact, but I made up an excuse, saying I just got that feeling after reading the novel.

"As expected of a Lady. You are an intellectual woman who loves my novels. Even your intuition is exceptional."

Even Rudis's excessive way of speaking, which Karina kept pointing out, just sounded good.

"The Book of Subjugation written in A Thousand Years of Waiting is actually based on records of magic from the past."

I looked at him with eyes full of anticipation. Then, with a reverent heart, as if hearing a divine revelation, I listened attentively to Rudis's words.

For a while, explanations and records regarding magic that had disappeared from the Empire remained on the Eastern Continent, and similar explanations continued.

"So, strictly speaking, it doesn't break the contract. As I explained earlier, that is only possible if your magical power surpasses that of the Tower Master. Furthermore, you must know the exact formula he drew."

"But you're saying there's another way?"

Rudis nodded, living up to my expectations.

"There is a way to blind the master for a while."

"If it's the master, does that mean you're blinding the Tower Master?"

“Yes.”

Since it probably wasn't meant literally, I quietly waited for his explanation.

"That eye signifies the mark imprinted on you. Through that mark, the master discerns the subordinate's actions and location, or even their thoughts and moods. It is truly a magic straight out of a novel, so I never dreamed it would actually be used."

Rudis clutched his forehead.

"If, by any chance, my novel inspired him..."

"That can't be true. There have been missing persons for a long time. So please stop being delusional."

At Karina's firm words, Rudis raised his head again.

"If it is not too much trouble for you, Lady, may I have the opportunity to see that mark with my own eyes?"

He went on at length, but in the end, he just wanted me to show him the mark on my wrist. I rolled up my sleeve and revealed the symbol imprinted like a brand.

It looked just like two snakes coiled up, entangled with each other. At first glance, it appeared simple, but upon closer inspection, the lines were so intricately intertwined that it was impossible to distinguish the beginning from the end. It was also unclear where it split into two and merged back into one.

“Ah, this is..."

Rudis could not bring himself to touch my wrist, so he traced the mark down over it.

"Could you please stay like this for a moment? I don't think I can remember it in my head."

Rudis took out a fountain pen and a notebook from his bosom. It appeared to be a notebook used to write down a writer's thoughts or ideas.

"I intend to copy this mark."

“What is it for?”

"I will burn it in the holy fire."

“If it's holy fire.”

"It is the inextinguishable fire in the temple."

"Are you saying that I can really escape the Tower Master's surveillance with that?"

"There is one more. The mark engraved on the Lady's body is covered by another contract..."

As he started drawing, Rudis's speech became noticeably shorter.

"Do you overlay another spell?"

Karina took over speaking on behalf of Rudis, who needed time to focus on his work.

"Sir Rudis said there is a magic called the Shadow Contract."

My head tilted involuntarily. As someone who knew nothing but alchemy, it was a magic I had never heard of before.

"They say it is a type of contract magic that summons a shadow slumbering in the darkness. I heard the principle is that the shadow temporarily takes Lady Hyrn's place to monitor the Tower Master. It is difficult for me to understand as someone who does not know magic, though."

As she spoke, Karina seemed to have doubts, so she asked Rudis for confirmation.

“Right?”

Rudis nodded silently.

"How about it? Can you cast Shadow Contract?"

I couldn't answer. I wasn't sure about anything—what shadow magic was, or whether I could cast contract magic. To be honest, I wasn't confident.

It hasn't even been five years since I realized I possessed magical power. During that time, the only thing I had done with it was make potions. I wasn't a born mage like Eon, nor had I accumulated knowledge like Sally.

'But...'

I couldn't show my lack of confidence in front of the two people who had gone to such trouble to help me, even finding a way to counter it.

"I'll look into it. Magic Tower has many magic books, so I'm sure I'll be able to find information about the Shadow Contract among them."

I decided to pin my hopes on the books that occupied an entire wall of the laboratory. Karina nodded with a look of faith.

"And they say that trick is only possible when darkness has fallen. From sunset until dawn the next day."

"So you mean I have to escape at night."

"Yes. You have to move after five."

Karina, having already personally experienced the rules of the Magic Tower, seemed deeply troubled by that fact.

"The reason the Magic Tower's rules are scary is that you have to return there. But if you've decided to escape, wouldn't that really not matter?"

I was planning to escape the Magic Tower anyway. If I succeeded, it didn't matter whether I broke the rules once or a hundred times.

“I see.”

Karina, who had been nodding as if she hadn't thought of that, cut off the flow with a voice a tone higher.

"Just a moment. Shall we order something first? The owner has been watching us for a while now."

Only then did our empty table catch my eye. I had absolutely no desire to draw attention for such a trivial matter as entering a pub without ordering anything. I sprang to my feet and agreed with Karina.

At the counter, the owner took the order as if they had been waiting.

"For lunch today, I'm having grilled sausages with peas and tomato stew."

The moment I heard the explanation of the menu, Eon suddenly came to mind.

'If that picky eater murderer had come, I would have had to skip lunch.'

The sight of the tomatoes and peas being pushed away was quite funny, so I let out a chuckle.

'Did I laugh? Did I just laugh while thinking of that murderer?'

Meeting the protagonist seemed to give me the composure to even scoff while thinking of Eon. I realized once again just how rigid I had been all this time.

As we returned to the table, Karina continued the story she had been telling earlier.

"Once preparations are complete, Lady Hyrn, please hide yourself in the convent north of Baynan for now. No matter how powerful the Lord of the Magic Tower may be, that is temple territory. Besides, since it is a place inhabited only by women, he won't be able to set foot there carelessly."

As for me, anywhere was fine as long as it wasn't the magic tower.

"Will they accept me there?"

"I know the Mother Superior there very well. If we go together and explain the situation, she will understand."

"Then Lady Lemont..."

"Yes, I will escort the young lady on that day."

Karina's gaze was serious.

'Just in case something happens.'

I quickly erased the frivolous thought that had popped into my head reflexively. She was the protagonist. There was no need to worry about the protagonist's safety. The protagonist was the one who would survive until the end and win both love and the goal.

"I'm so sorry for causing you so much trouble."

"Please do not say such things. As a knight of the Military Police, protecting Lady Hyrn is my duty."

Karina, who had answered with a knightly tone while standing tall, cautiously began to speak this time.

"However, if you feel like you owe me something... I would like to ask for your cooperation in the investigation of this missing person case..."

"Of course I should. I will fully cooperate with the investigation."

Although there were deranged researchers and even more bizarre maids, they were not the only ones in the Magic Tower. Among them were ordinary maids. Most of them were likely women who had been captured along with Tara.

If only I could save them, I would want to save them too. Since I lacked the ability to save them on my own, I wanted to help Karina and contribute even a small amount of strength to save them.

"Thank you. Lady Hyrn, this will be of great help in raising awareness among the higher-ups regarding this incident."

Karina held my hand tightly.

"That is what I should be saying."

I placed my other hand on the back of Karina's hand. It felt as if a warm sensation enveloped the surroundings.

"The harmony between the two ladies is truly touching. However, you would be wise to save this emotion for later. For the escape of the lady, who was enslaved by the devilish Tower Master, has only just begun."

Rudis, having finished the drawing, put away his notebook and spoke. Karina shook her head as if she were tired of his rambling and withdrew her hand.

"So, now that we have the general plan, shall we go over the more specific details?"

Just then, the food we ordered arrived. The three of us talked for quite a while longer while eating. Although it was lunch at a humble pub, it was incomparably more satisfying than a meal at a high-end restaurant.


Previous                Next



Comments