It was a back alley, but many people were coming and going, and Karina had absolutely no idea what Rudis looked like. She didn't even know what color his hair was. Instead of just standing there blankly in line, she should have asked his fans for a description. However, there was no time to blame herself.
'Then...'
The road split into two. The left side was a narrow alley that continued for quite a while, while the right side led to the main street just a short walk away.
'The hotels are over here.'
After being tormented for hours, wouldn't she want to hurry back to her room and rest? Her hesitation was brief, and her action was swift. Turning to the right, Karina walked quickly and shouted without restraint.
"Gentleman coming out of the bookstore! I have something you left behind!"
She decided to keep the name Rudis a secret, fearing it might cause a commotion. Most people simply passed by her or glanced back briefly before going their own way.
Amidst such people, Karina spotted a man fumbling in his coat pocket at her voice with keen eyes.
'I found him.'
He was a man with black hair wearing a gray coat. She had imagined a somewhat frail image for a novelist, but his tall stature and broad shoulders were far from frail.
"Sir Rudis?"
By the time Karina called his name in front of him, Rudis realized that he hadn't left anything behind. A sudden wave of anxiety washed over him.
'A die-hard fan!'
He loved all the intellectual and classy fans who appreciated his books, but there were exceptions. The kind who would follow him to his hotel room to demand a private meeting, or bribe a coachman to take him to a secret place. Such people were not fans, but merely psychos seeking to vent their need for affection on him.
'I even went so far as to sneak out through the back door on purpose.'
He quickened his pace, blaming the incompetent security guard. He wanted to run, but the road was too slippery.
"Wait a moment. I have something important to tell you."
However, no matter how hard Rudis walked, the distance between him and the woman following behind him did not widen. She was following at a constant distance, as if keeping pace with Rudis.
'A carriage, if only I could catch a carriage...'
Fortunately, the main street appeared not long after. Rudis reached out and climbed onto a carriage standing on the side of the road.
'Phew. That was a close call.'
Feeling relieved, Rudis failed to notice Karina rushing toward him at full speed. Just as he was about to close the carriage door, Karina leaped right up inside.
"What, what, what?"
He wondered what kind of fan would behave so rudely; at this point, he thought we should turn to the law. He spoke firmly, putting strength into his voice.
"You! This is a violation of individual freedom..."
The reason Rudis couldn't finish his sentence was that he could finally see Karina's face clearly.
Blue eyes that seem to captivate at a glance, alluring full lips and, in contrast, a neat mouth shape, and red hair that matches all of this perfectly.
It was truly a sight where fear and irritation vanished simultaneously. While Rudis stared blankly at Karina, she opened her mouth.
"I heard you can save people."
'Save a life? I'm not a doctor.'
Rudis belatedly realized that she was wearing a military uniform. It seemed she had mistaken him for someone else. However, come to think of it, the saying that a novelist saves lives wasn't wrong. Perhaps this woman who had suddenly appeared was using sophisticated wordplay.
"Although I do not hold a scalpel or use a stethoscope, I have a pen. If saving those with broken hearts is to be considered a novelist's job, wouldn't it be?"
At Rudis's words, a slight crack formed on Karina's delicate brow. She was a soldier rather than a noble lady, and being accustomed to military culture, she was not used to verbose speech.
"What is it, Lady? If I can help, I will gladly do so."
Still, Rudis's last remark really pleased her. After all, he stepped forward to help before she could even explain.
"You clearly said you would help?"
"Yes, how could a gentleman lie in front of a lady?"
“Good.”
Rudis decided the destination was the hotel where he was staying. As the carriage started moving, Karina spoke again.
"Do you happen to know about subsidiary contracts?"
It was a question cut short, but this was the only information she wanted from Rudis. She could not reveal the case she was investigating to Rudis, a civilian and a foreigner at that, until she confirmed that he was of help.
"Subsidiary contract, subsidiary contract..."
Rudis, who had been mulling those words over in his mouth, soon relaxed his face as if he understood.
"You mean the Book of Subjugation from my novel."
Karina frowned once again.
“What is that?”
"*A Thousand Years of Waiting* is my new book that just came out. The autograph session just now was held to celebrate the book becoming a bestseller."
“Oh, congratulations.”
The dry voice sounded half-hearted to anyone who heard it. Moreover, Karina's eyes held an urge to cut the useless chatter and get straight to the point.
'It’s the first time I’ve met a lady who isn’t interested in my novels to this extent.'
Rudis cleared his throat and spoke again.
“For Lady...”
“Karina.”
However, Karina was cut short in the middle of her sentence.
"Yes?"
"Karina de Lemont. Please call me Karina."
"It is a true honor to learn Lady's name. It is a name that suits the charming Lady perfectly."
"I told you to call me Karina, not Lady."
Karina's expression and tone became even more stiff. Rudis cleared his throat and continued speaking.
"Anyway, if you are referring to the Book of Subjugation, born of a thousand years of waiting."
"Wait a moment. You've been mentioning this for a while now, but what is the Book of Subjugation?"
"Miss Karina... surely you haven't read my novel?"
"I don't like novels."
“Oh ...no..."
Rudis was deeply shocked, but Karina had no time to worry about his feelings. She urged him to explain what the Book of Subjugation was.
"Through sorcery that controls the opponent's mind, a sorcerer can read the thoughts and minds of their subjugated one. The paper on which that contract is written is established as the Book of Subjugation."
"It is very similar to a dependency contract. It is almost identical."
She thought she understood why Selinia had singled out Rudis. However, facing such a desperate situation, she wouldn't have told her to meet Rudis based solely on the premise of the novel.
Karina, who had been nodding, suddenly looked at Rudis with sparkling eyes. It was a look that seemed like she wouldn't be able to refuse anything Rudis asked of her.
"Is that magic Sir Ludis imagined? Or did you borrow from actual magic?"
"Haha, this is just a plot device in the novel."
“Is that really all it is?”
A sparkling gaze relentlessly pierced Rudis. It was the same look one gives when investigating a criminal. Rudis had to feel both tension and a pounding heart at the same time.
"You seem to be very interested in the Book of Subjugation, even though you don't know the contents of the novel."
"If I had known this would happen, I should have read the novel."
This novelist, with a gentle impression, spoke softly but rarely gave Karina the answer she wanted.
'I thought you would tell me right away if I threatened you just a little.'
It seemed that she would need to release some information about Selinia to move the opponent.
"You might not believe it, but I know someone who is bound by a contract like the Book of Subjugation."
"That..."
"They call it a subsidiary contract. Have you ever heard of it?"
Rudis shook his head.
"They wanted to ask Sir Rudis for help. They probably thought you might know something after reading the novel. However, if it was merely their imagination, there was no need to take up your time any further. I apologize for the inconvenience."
Rudis stopped Karina as she tried to stop the carriage. Of course, Karina had no intention of getting off just like this. However, a voice much more serious than she had expected was heard.
"Is the person related to the subordination contract you mentioned the Tower Master?"
Seeing Karina's wide-eyed expression, Rudis realized that he had said the correct answer.
"Ah, I can't believe it. I met that lady, the researcher at the Magic Tower, a while ago. We parted ways back then without even knowing her name, though."
"You mean you've met?"
"That is correct. It has been almost a month. It was at the hunting grounds; I believe the Lady was on her way to the Magic Tower."
Counting the days, it seemed to be the day Selinia was taken away by the Tower Master. Karina couldn't even imagine what Selinia must have been feeling when she parted ways with Rudis.
"She mentioned that she was most deeply moved by my novel, '43rd Street in Baynan.' I certainly thought that was a sign... but it turns out she was indeed asking me for help."
"Did you stay silent until now knowing that?"
It was clearly criticism mixed in Karina's tone. Rudis shouted, his face flushed red.
"That can't be true! I've visited the Magic Tower several times since then."
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment