Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

INAT - Chapter 6



"Why are you acting like this too!"

"Not even thinking of fighting honorably, to speak such weak words before even starting!"

"Let's face reality! The border has been breached with just those troops! And a much larger number of Podia troops are pouring in!"

A brief exchange of words followed, but in the end, everyone seemed speechless. They let out a short groan and closed their mouths.

Father closed his eyes tightly with a look of deep sorrow. It seemed that his heart was breaking not so much from the shame of the commotion in front of the enemy, but from his helplessness in being unable to respond in any way.

"Excuse me for interrupting. I am Wagen Dewitz, aide to His Majesty Emperor Podia."

Taking advantage of the confusion, a silver-haired man suddenly appeared from behind Thierry. Out of place with the atmosphere, he greeted politely and continued speaking calmly.

"First of all, I think the conversation will be easier if you consider this an agreement rather than a unilateral proposal."

"An agreement? This is blackmail!"

"Haha, you know that even though we could easily resolve this situation the way we want, we are trying to have a polite conversation. This is the first time we’ve encountered a situation like this, so we are a bit flustered. We would appreciate it if you could listen to us."

"..."

"Thank you for your cooperation. The terms of the agreement we propose are as follows. In exchange for safely protecting Princess Elisha Ashtad in the Podia Empire, the Kingdom of Ashtad is required to grant one request from the Podia Empire."

"..."

"Isn't it quite simple? As long as this condition is met, the Princess will return safely to the Kingdom of Ashtad."

"That's ridiculous! How could you know what that fickle Podia's request would be!"

It was a one-sided exchange. Finally, unable to bear it any longer, Father's angry shout echoed loudly through the room, but his anger did not last long.

"How can you be so stupid..."

It was because Thierry opened his mouth as if finding the situation boring.

“What, stupid?”

"Was my requirement really that complicated?"

It was a voice brimming with irritation. At Thierry's words, my father fell silent for a moment, his face showing he had guessed something.

"...I clearly said I don't know anything about elves, though."

“That’s selfish.”

"...!"

The criticism from the person rumored to be the most selfish on the continent dealt a tremendous blow to those who heard it. Not only us, but even Thierry's aide, Wagen, looked at Thierry with shocked expressions.

"You're going to die soon anyway. I'm giving you one chance to live. Do you not want to live?"

...Why on earth did the kid grow up like that?

I stared blankly at Thierry, who had grown up like a sharply honed blade. My heart felt heavy with ambivalent emotions, a mixture of fear and pity.

Just then, his gaze turned toward me. Our eyes met in mid-air between the knights standing in front of us.

"If you have no intention of sending the Princess away, I’ll just bury her here neatly."

An air heavier than ever before weighed down on their lungs. No one could open their mouths toward him as he spat out a brutal barrage of words in a dry, emotionless voice.

'Holding out any longer will only fuel their anger.'

The castle was already besieged, and drops of blood falling from the tip of the sword he held were soaking the red carpet leading to the throne.

Everyone here knows that now, all that remains is to meekly admit defeat.

"...I'll be going."

It was half impulsive. I barely managed to squeeze out a voice and spoke.

“No!”

"Princess!"

"Elisha Ashtad."

The countless shouts calling out to me were quickly drowned out by Thierry's heavy voice.

"She's the only one I can communicate with."

He slurred up one corner of his mouth as if pleased with my attitude. Fortunately, his demeanor softened somewhat.

I heard shouts from beside me trying to stop me, but only his voice pierced my ears. My mother, trembling even more than I did, tightened her grip on me.

'It can't be helped.'

The face of the innocent child from long ago flashed through my mind, but the sense of disconnect with the man in front of me kept scattering like smoke.

The child I looked after would never say something like this. Useless sentimentality kept gnawing at my heart.

'There is only one answer anyway.'

It’s not like I’m doing this because I’m a good person; honestly, sacrificing myself was the best choice rather than everyone dying together here.

Furthermore, they suddenly demanded an equivalent exchange. It meant that there was something they desperately wanted to the point of making such an absurd proposal.

I didn't know what it was, but I had a vague feeling that it might protect my life in its own way until I obtained it.

The problem was the timeline. No one knew how long it would take for Ashtad to grant Podia's request. Would Thierry's patience hold out until the agreement was finalized?

'Hmm, in the worst-case scenario, I might die, but that's a problem for later... Anyway, the important thing right now is to survive! I think I can just go and stay quiet and avoid being seen as much as possible.'

Anyone hearing it might call it a surprisingly naive thought, but since there wasn't really any other way, the best option was to manage my emotions as positively as possible

I barely managed to lick my parched lips. Once I made up my mind, I became surprisingly calm.

"Elisha, no, you don't have to do that."

I could feel the trembling of my mother as she tightened her arms, as if trying to trap me in her embrace. After gently stroking her back, I forcefully pulled her arms away and spoke.

"Mother."

"Please..."

“I want to live.”

"...!"

My mother, who had reached out her hand as if to catch me again as I tried to break free from her embrace, contorted her face at my faint smile.

“So please send me.”

Leaving my mother behind as she soon burst into bitter tears, I asked the knight blocking my path to step aside. The knight turned to look at me, not knowing what to do, and stepped back with a look of guilt on his face.

Thierry stared intently at me as I approached. Just then, a beast sprang out from the direction of the Podia army. It was the wolf I had met earlier.

'...To think it was really Rood. Does Rood recognize me?'

Both knights chased after Rood as if trying to stop him from rushing at me, but Rood was faster.

Everyone looked utterly bewildered. A glint flashed in Thierry's eyes as he saw Rood panting and rubbing his head against my leg.

'I know I should pretend to be flustered and avoid it... but I don't want to right now.'

If I am destined to return to Podia anyway, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take this opportunity to look into my death.

I felt my heart soften slightly at Rood's antics, which were out of place with the atmosphere, so I slowly opened my mouth.

"Elisha, Princess of the Kingdom of Ashtad. I accept His Imperial Majesty's proposal and will go to the Podia Empire with him."

The smile slowly faded from his lips. The Blood Emperor, known as a warmonger, gazed at me for a moment with deep eyes that were impossible to read.

***

The question of how they managed to enter the royal palace so quickly was resolved thanks to Wagen's explanation that there was a magic circle nearby and they only needed to move a short distance.

Even before Ashtad began to guard the border, Podia had already meticulously planned to capture the castle with a small, elite force. It was a battle with no chance of victory from the start.

'Ugh. I feel dizzy. Let's not look at the floor. Just stare straight ahead, at the empty space.'

As I walked past the corridor filled with blood and came out of the palace, Wagen looked up with a very regretful expression and spoke. It was the location of the audience chamber window.

"Oh, dear. Anyone watching would think we are kidnapping the Princess."

...If this isn't kidnapping, then what is it?

I stared at Wagen's brazen face in disbelief, then followed his gaze up.

'Oh my, it’s just like a funeral.'

The faces of my family members, standing pressed against the window and looking down at me, were filled with grief and worry.

It was a scene born of Thierry's threat that they should not move an inch in the audience chamber until they left, if they cared about the Princess's safety.

'I know I'm not in a position to care about anyone right now, but I'm still glad those people are safe.'

When I was Lari, I was alone without a family, so I didn't think much about deceiving someone. But now, the love of the family who cherish Elisha, the owner of this body, was so deep.

I knew it was cruel to them, having waited so long for their daughter to wake up, but I actually didn't mind it so much, as it felt like paying the price for entering Elisha's body and living life one more time.

'If it were the real Elisha, with that personality, she might have abandoned them, refusing to go regardless of whether everyone died or not, so in a way, it might be a relief for Ashtad.'

...A relief my ass! I'm screwed! I've read a lot of romance fantasy transmigration novels, but not a single one unfolded like this. Sob, I guess living a niche life is my destiny.

I forced a smile at my family as if everything were alright, while inwardly shedding tears of blood. Then, fearing I might look like a dog being led to the slaughterhouse, I quickly turned around and walked toward the carriage.

'...But why are you here?'

However, just 10 seconds after turning around quite neatly, I wanted to get out of the carriage. It was because of Thierry, who was already sitting inside, having gotten in before I knew it.

'I, I can't breathe.'

I gritted my teeth and sat down as the carriage moved, and I desperately stared intently out the window.

The blood-red eyes reflected in the window were staring at me as if to devour me, and I thought that if things continued like this, my cheeks might soften.

'No way...'

I swallowed hard, and my eyes trembled slightly.

'Is he giving me the look to get out because it's cramped?!'

No, really? You don't mean to be that petty? It is a carriage my father gave me so I could travel comfortably, so why is he acting so territorial?

'You didn't even listen when I first brought up the carriage...'

At Wagen's words that I would have to ride a horse to get to the magic circle since there was no carriage, my father was horrified and said absolutely not.

My father, urgently grabbing Thierry and begging him to at least take the royal carriage of Ashtad, saying that his child was frail and didn't know how to ride a horse, did not hesitate to plead and beg even in front of the retainers.

It was a deeply tearful sight. The way he pleaded that they could take the carriage to Podia or burn it, just please, take his child away in peace. It was so heartbreaking that Wagen, unable to bear it any longer, eventually obtained permission on behalf of Thierry, who was trying to ignore him and leave.

'Phew, what on earth happened in the last seven years for the kid to change like that? I wish they had just told me he was a different person...'

The alien sense of disconnect kept making me deny reality.

From my perspective, he was a gentle child just a month ago, so it was truly bizarre to see him grow up so much and his eyes shining brightly.

'Especially those red eyes... How did the iris color change?'


Previous                 Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments