'Hmm... I didn't really have anything to ask of Thierry, so I just passed the ball to Marie, but it feels like it's being overly embellished.'
I let out an awkward laugh at Marie's aura, as if she would shed tears of emotion at the slightest touch.
As I was patting Marie, who was pledging her loyalty and saying that she could never repay the favor even if she devoted her whole life to it, and that she would repay it until she died, I realized it wasn't going to work, so I brought up a different topic.
"Anyway, the weather is nice. Shall we go for a walk?"
"Oh. Yes! I'll get it ready right away!"
Marie moved immediately the moment I finished speaking. I breathed a sigh of relief inwardly and accepted Marie's enthusiastic service.
I was walking down the hallway, thinking I would just go to a nearby garden to get some fresh air. Then, a middle-aged man with a stern appearance, walking towards me from the opposite direction, caught my eye.
'...It's Duke Joubert, isn't it?'
With gray hair swept back like a knife and icy blue eyes, I knew immediately who it was since I had seen him at the hunting festival and asked Marie about him separately.
But perhaps I wasn't the only one; as the Duke closed in and stared at me, displeasure was visible on his face. He seemed to know who I was without me having to say a word, so I chuckled to myself.
'Is it because he's a high-ranking noble? He doesn't even bother to keep a straight face. Anyone can tell he hates me.'
I heard that today is the day Thierry and the officials hold their regular formal dinner. It seemed he had entered the palace early for that reason. Or perhaps it was due to the incident where the head maid broke into the prison during the early hours of the morning.
'If that's the reason, he'd find the sight of me even more repulsive...'
I naturally showed a harmless smile on my face.
"You’re quite lucky to have been dragged here. Or are you going around selling laughter?"
Wow, that's intense! An exclamation of admiration naturally escaped my lips.
To think a fight would come flying at me the moment we were within a couple of paces. It was like he was making it obvious he had been plotting to pick a fight with me, so rather than being unpleasant, it was actually kind of funny.
Yeah, he must be in a terrible state on the inside. Just how twisted he must be.
But it seems that being a noble doesn't necessarily mean they smile elegantly while being sarcastic. On the contrary, the higher the rank, the stronger the tendency to act rawly; given that kind of nature, simply playing it safe didn't seem like the answer.
"Duke Joubert, watch your mouth."
While I was briefly contemplating how to respond, Oscar blocked my path and warned me. At Oscar's ominous aura, Duke Joubert's eyes narrowed even further.
'At that rate, his eyes are going to tear open...?'
A murderous intent gleamed in the Duke's eyes, as if he would have directed them at me long ago if a magic beam were to shoot out of them.
I guess it's hopeless to turn things around, but should I try teasing him a little? That mean guy isn't going to leave me alone just because I keep walking on eggshells around us when we're this far apart. Don't I need to vent a bit?
In the original story as well, Duke Joubert was a stumbling block for Thierry, so he was destined to be removed eventually. Therefore, it wouldn't be a bad idea to egg him on a little sooner.
"Did I say something I shouldn't? You are nothing but a woman brought as a hostage from a tiny country."
"I don't understand what you mean. You are being rude to me on our first meeting..."
I decided to just keep a scared face for now.
"But it feels like we might not be meeting for the first time."
Of course, I plan to subtly say everything I want to say.
Well, even a cheerful Princess can show a brave side despite having many houses, right? I said, rationalizing it in my own way.
"Do you happen to know Countess Ante?"
"What? First time meeting... what?"
"You know, right? I think I saw you together once...?"
"What kind of nonsense are you talking about! When were the Head Maid and I ever together? Are you framing me now?!"
"Uh, I'm sorry, I think I was mistaken!"
"How dare you treat me like that."
"By the way, do you happen to know who Chloe is?"
"...!"
"Does the Duke know the titles of every noble enough to recognize them by their given names rather than just their surnames?"
I stared intently at Duke Joubert, whose face was hardening coldly, then turned my gaze to Oscar with a look of wonder. Oscar's jade-colored eyes, which had been staring at the Duke, slanted downwards to reflect my face.
And the Duke, feigning composure as if he had never been agitated, spoke to me.
"No. That can't be true. If we don't see each other often, there's no need to go out of your way to know each other's names."
"Hmm, is that so?"
"If you come and go from the Imperial Palace often, you might learn the head maid's name. So what! Why are you looking at me so rudely as if that were some big deal? Are you trying to show off that you're too dim-witted to remember such trivial things?"
"To remember such a trivial detail—unlike me—you must be a sharp and perceptive person, Duke. It is hard to believe that this is the same person who insulted me just moments ago."
The Duke contorted his face like crumpled paper. Just as his vile-looking thin lips were about to part wide, I asked calmly, as if snatching the opportunity.
"Then, have you heard any news about the Head Maid?"
"...I heard. Why are you asking that?"
"Ah. Seeing that you know her name, I was wondering if you were close. If you were that close, you must feel bad."
"To think you treat a criminal like that as one of my close associates. You have lost all sense of fear."
Grtt.
The sound of teeth grinding was clearly audible. Anyone could tell Duke Joubert was furious; if it weren't for Oscar, he looked like he would have slapped me on the spot.
"Ah. That's true. Regardless of what your relationship actually was, it must be unpleasant to be associated with a criminal, right? Please forgive me."
I said that while lowering the corners of my eyebrows wretchedly, and then needlessly put my finger to the corner of my eye. At that, Oscar held out a handkerchief to me and, with the serious look he sometimes wore when spouting nonsense, spoke solemnly.
"Princess, please do not be disheartened. Since he was the one who insulted you first anyway, whatever you say will be weaker than that. Besides, as I am in a position where I must report all of this, I think it would be best for Duke Joubert to bring some digestive medicine with him when attending the formal banquet."
I wasn't sure if I would actually be able to eat, but I wasn't sure if the last words I was muttering softly reached Duke Joubert. They were faint enough for me to hear as well, so I looked at the Duke with a vague gaze, but seeing his face turn pale, I thought he might have heard them.
"...I'm busy, so I'll be leaving now. If you're a hostage, act like one and keep quiet!"
Duke Joubert warned, as if spitting out a line from a petty villain fleeing, that he would hold onto his pride to the very end.
He was born into a good family and got lucky enough to become a Duke; otherwise, he would have gone around committing crimes. Yet he talks so much. I kept my indifference hidden while maintaining a steady, melancholic smile on the outside.
"Yes... please live a long life despite your illness."
“Wha. What?”
“I’ll just leave then.”
"...What is 'living a long life with illness'?"
I almost burst out laughing and had to cover my mouth. Then, I quickly walked past Duke Joubert, who was glaring at me with a look of unease. He couldn't bring himself to stop me and ask because of his pride, but perhaps out of curiosity, Duke Joubert remained standing still in a hesitant posture as I left.
As he entered the corner and Duke Joubert disappeared from sight, Oscar asked.
"What does 'living a long life while being sick' mean?"
Should I be honest? But if it's a language only I know, wouldn't it be better not to share it with anyone?
I finished my momentary hesitation and smiled brightly as usual.
"It just means live a long life!"
Well, that's not wrong either.
***
"He's going to leave anyway, but isn't there any way to send him off a little sooner...?"
I sat at the table and muttered with a serious expression. It bothered me a little that I had rushed into Duke Joubert after pretending to be a sunless Princess all this time, but I had no regrets.
I tend to remember that person's weaknesses to some extent anyway, and given his temper, he might actually dig his own grave first.
"Well, no matter how much I think about it, there are limits to putting it into action right away... Hmm, I guess that's the only way?"
I know Oscar is by my side and will protect me, but gathering information remains my top priority. I really need to reveal this to Maud. She is the only one who can help with this.
"Alright! Let's go right now!"
I jumped up from my seat and left the room with a determined expression. Then, without giving Oscar and Marie a chance to ask where I was going, I walked away quickly.
I headed toward the kitchen along the now familiar path. Usually, if I was lucky, I would run into someone on the way, but today I couldn't see even an ant, so I decided to venture a little deeper.
However, as I got closer, I could hear the sound of loud voices coming from afar...
"...Mind your own business. Stop meddling in other people's affairs!"
It was Maud's voice.
I stood in front of the slightly ajar door with a stern expression. I placed my hand on the doorknob, hesitated, and lowered it when I heard the other person's voice.
"Are you shielding the Princess just because you’re in the same boat, clinging to His Majesty the Emperor? Good grief. Is this some kind of camaraderie? It’s ridiculous."
"I told you to shut your mouth. You went on and on about having the royal family backing me, and yet you dare mention the royal family in front of me? Have you lost your nerve?"
"...So why are you butting in! I'm talking about that Princess who came to another country and is running around causing trouble without knowing her place!"
As I listened, I realized the situation. From the looks of it, that man with the exploding inferiority complex must have been caught badmouthing me. It seems Maud heard it and said something to him.
'We just exchanged greetings in passing, but as expected of Maud.'
I felt satisfied simply by the fact that Maud was shielding me, regardless of whether the man was badmouthing me or not.
I signaled Marie and Oscar, who were standing behind me, emitting a menacing aura as if they were about to burst in at any moment, to hold back for now, and listened intently to the commotion coming from inside.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment