“Marie! Come on!”
Marie, who had been hesitating and moving her lips at Serira's fierce demeanor, soon bowed her head low and clutched her trembling voice.
"...I'm sorry. I don't really know."
"What, what? You don't know? What do you mean by that! How dare someone like you betray me? Do you even realize what you are doing?!"
"Are you threatening me right now?"
"What? Threats? That's not it, Sir Oscar. I'm being really unfairly accused. This is just... a painkiller!"
"Then I just need to cooperate faithfully with the investigation. If it turns out to be nothing, just as you said, you should be cleared of charges."
"Prison out of the blue?! Hmph, how could this be? It's truly terrifying. To think such a petty frame-up! So, this is all your doing, isn't it? Sir Oscar, don't be fooled by that woman! She is vicious and terrifying!"
Serira’s eyes flashed as if she had finally come to her senses, as if she were starting to speak. She even pointed her finger at me and tried to lunge at me; it seemed she hadn't come to her senses, but had simply lost her mind.
Her gleaming eyes looked as if they were consumed by madness, to the point of being chilling.
“Serira..."
I deliberately hunched my shoulders toward Serira and spoke in a trembling voice.
"How could you say such a thing... Still, I understand! If this is truly a misunderstanding, you have every right to feel wronged. But if it isn't... what should we do?"
"...?"
"Hmm... I suppose after this brutal torture, the family will be ruined, and you’ll end up begging for the rest of your life with nowhere to turn? Ah. You might even be executed. But well, justice prevails, so it should be fine if you handle it!"
"...!"
In the end, Serira's jaw dropped as she watched me clench both fists tightly in a timid fighting pose.
'Whatever it is, you've hit the ground in your life by now.'
To others, I might just be saying positive things like a bright-eyed Princess, but from Serira's perspective, it would be quite annoying.
However, that anger was only momentary; perhaps because my words did not feel like mere bravado, her face soon turned from pale to deep blue and was filled with terror.
Soon, Serira trembled all over and swayed to her knees like a broken doll, then swayed her body as if trying to approach me.
"Not only did you suspiciously take the bottle from a hidden place, but you even committed insubordination. I will give you the honor of being dragged away as a flagrant offender."
As Oscar immediately grabbed and pressed down on Serira's head, the attempt ended up looking like nothing but a wriggling worm.
"G-get away! Who are you laying your hands on right now! P-Princess! It's a misunderstanding! Please listen to me! Please? Argh...! Let go of me!"
Knights who had rushed over upon hearing the commotion quickly grabbed Serira by both arms and pulled her to her feet. Serira tried to resist, as if refusing to leave.
However, naturally, the struggle was easily thwarted, and in the end, she could not avoid the ugly sight of being carried away.
In the meantime, I secretly grabbed the pouch lying on the floor and watched with satisfaction as Serira cried and made a fuss.
'It's a relief that it's simple.'
***
I returned to my room with a relieved heart. The thrill of seeing something you only suspected turn out to be true is just... wow!
The problem, however, was Marie, who kept repeating that she was grateful the entire way here, yet at the same time worried.
'You said Serira is the head maid's niece, right? She must have heard by now; I wonder what she's going to do.'
Marie acted as if she were possessed by a spy, saying she would use everything she had to monitor her movements for any potential threat.
I just laughed heartily and sent Marie back.
No matter how I look at it, she seems so deeply infatuated with me, like a knight pledging loyalty to her lord, that I guess I should say it feels a bit overwhelming.
"Hmm... we'll have to wait and see how reliable it is."
I was muttering with a sigh when I heard a sudden knock.
"Huh? Who is it at this hour..."
I had finally managed to catch my breath after refusing their offer to serve me and sending them away. To hear a sudden knock at that very moment—whoever it was—was an uninvited guest.
“Come in.”
I narrowed my eyebrows slightly and looked at the opening door. And my hunch that it would be an uninvited guest was correct.
“Where are you injured?”
It was none other than Thierry who knocked.
As I stared at him with a bewildered expression, he strode over in the meantime, grabbed my arms, and, unable to stop examining me, slowly spun my body around.
"...I don't have any."
I blinked and stared blankly at Thierry. It seemed he had rushed over as soon as he received the report, as his chest was more exposed than usual, and his fine black hair was disheveled.
"Ah. The Sun of the Empire..."
"Fine. Skip the greetings from now on. Besides, why are you going there yourself in such a dangerous way when your ankle hurts? You should have just told me, and I would have taken care of it."
"You said it's fine as long as I don't run with my ankles..."
"Even so, it would be best to stay put and get some good rest for the time being. And how can you tell me to come in when you haven't even revealed who the other person is!"
He was very talkative, even though he had entered without revealing who he was.
I tilted my head slightly, trying hard to keep my expression from relaxing in disbelief.
"That's because... since the knights didn't say anything, I assumed it was someone who would be okay to let in."
"You're too defenseless; be careful."
Thierry wore a look of pity, as if he could not relax even though he had confirmed that everything was okay.
'Let's stay calm. Don't be fooled.'
I bit my lip and took a small, deep breath.
'I'm just bait to find Lari.'
Thierry's sudden change of attitude was so surprising that it raised suspicions of a split personality. To think that such an arrogant man would wear a face that looked so genuinely worried. It was undeniably a terrifyingly sophisticated tactic.
Watching that incredible acting gave me goosebumps, to the point where my own acting skills seemed like a candle in the wind.
'It’s tremendous tenacity and drive. I suppose that’s why he seized the throne and is sweeping through neighboring countries.'
I shook my head inwardly and swallowed hard.
"I just went because I was worried about Marie, but somehow the situation... Ah, what happens to Serira?"
I subtly changed the subject and took a step back. Fortunately, perhaps because he didn't intend to hold onto me any longer, it was easy to let go of his grasp.
He glanced briefly at my hand floating in the air, then lowered his arm and met my gaze.
"If it is indeed an illegal import, it would be the end of the family. And that liquid might be connected to a lot of places."
“A lot of places?”
"Right. If so, you've accomplished a tremendous feat."
"W-what? Aren't you exaggerating a bit?"
"Do I look like someone who just says empty words to cover things up?"
It was a blinding act of self-objectification. I rolled my eyes to the side with a speechless expression.
I feel like I'll get criticized whether I admit it or deny it. Is there even a right answer?
Thierry's stinging gaze poured down on my face as I cautiously glanced around. Just as I was debating whether I should keep avoiding eye contact, feeling like I shouldn't, his voice mingled with a low sigh.
"...Of course, even if that isn't the case, I will compensate you for this, so think about what you want."
It was a voice that somehow felt listless. Moreover, how should I put it? Should I call it pathetic? I felt quite strange at the way a gloomy aura emanated from him, as if he were wearing ill-fitting clothes.
No. Actually, I felt a bit unwell.
It was because I was completely displeased with his attitude, which, regardless of his intentions, treated our memories as nothing more than something easily exploitable for his own purposes.
'I was the only one who was sincere...'
In that moment, fear and everything else vanished, and I found him annoying. I pouted slightly and quickly turned my eyes to the side.
"...I'm sorry, but I'm a bit tired."
"Huh? Oh, yeah."
A bewildered answer came back, and a moment of silence followed. Wondering why he wasn't leaving after answering, I stared at him intently.
He was looking at me with a hesitant expression for some reason, and although it sounded ridiculous, it seemed like he was watching my reaction. Well, actually, he doesn't understand my sudden change in attitude, but I suspect he's acting that way because he can't bring himself to confront me about it.
Does he really want to deceive me to that extent? How can he be so mean? No matter how difficult his upbringing was, is it really okay to toy with someone's feelings like this? The more I thought about it, the more my stomach churned.
"...But what about dinner?"
"I'd like to have a quick meal in my room. Would that be okay?"
Thanks to that, I was able to show a childishness uncharacteristic of myself, even at a question that hadn't come up for quite a while.
"Ah... okay. Do that."
"Yes."
"You must be tired, so get some good rest."
"Yes."
He looked genuinely flustered. He scrutinized me like a large dog whimpering, hesitating, and stammering, before finally stepping back with a look of helplessness.
"..."
The door closed soon. Only the sound of my own breathing filled the room. I had been trying to stand there coyly, but I soon collapsed. It was because my legs had given out. Even my shoulders were trembling.
"...I guess I’m crazy.”
It was a sudden realization, albeit belated. Memories of my earlier self, acting as if I had lost my nerve, flashed before my eyes like a slideshow.
I couldn't control my eyelashes, which were fluttering as if having a convulsion. I squeezed my eyes shut like someone who wanted to forget everything and collapsed onto the floor.
“Ugh!”
I'm dead.
I really wish morning wouldn't come...
***
"Aren't you having dinner together tonight?"
Seeing the person who would normally have already tossed aside the documents and gone to eat sitting at the office desk, Wagen asked with a puzzled expression.
"...She says she doesn’t eat it.”
"Oh?"
After a brief pause, Thierry nodded. Life returned to the face of Wagen, who had been organizing documents just moments ago as if everything in the world were boring.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment