Considering the original work, this content should have come out much later than it does now.
While Duke Joubert was looking for a way to secretly raise political funds, he came across the plant in question called 'Porch'.
Of course, at first, Duke Joubert did not fully understand the plant's effects either. However, not long after, he discovered that using the appropriate amount improved his stamina for a certain period; he used his wicked cunning to disguise 'Porch' as a medicinal herb and sell it.
The only saving grace was that through a certain incident, it was revealed that this was a poisonous plant that should not be distributed indiscriminately.
It began when a lower-ranking nobleman was found dead at his home after taking Porch. Since he was such a healthy person, everyone found his death puzzling.
However, only one person—a fellow noble who had purchased a 'Porch' with him—took his death seriously.
It was because he remembered his colleague, who, unlike at first when he was full of energy after taking 'Porch,' suffered increasingly frequent headaches, and perhaps because of this, even became violent as he could not control his anger. It was a situation where he naturally had no choice but to suspect the ingredients of 'Porch.'
So the nobleman tried to find the cause of death, but before he could figure anything out, he was caught by Duke Joubert, who had been observing the buyers.
In the end, the fellow nobleman meets a tragic end at the hands of Duke Joubert, which is disguised as a sudden carriage accident and buried by society...
However, Duke Joubert knew that even if the problem were resolved immediately, he would not be able to handle it on his own if it were later revealed that Porch was a poisonous plant. Therefore, he decided to recall and dispose of the entire stock before the situation escalated, even though it was a waste.
However, the episode concluded with Thierry learning about this poisonous herb when an incident occurred in which a maid unilaterally used the 'Porch' plant juice, which had been set aside as a precaution, on the original female protagonist.
'Regardless of our actual relationship, to others I am the only woman by Thierry's side, so could it be that the original heroine's fate is going to befall me?'
The fact that the incident happening now seems somewhat similar to the maid episode from the original work made me feel uneasy for no reason.
'Wow... that's terrible.'
If that is really the case, wouldn't the situation become too serious?
I wondered how anyone could guarantee that something like this wouldn't happen again, especially since my life was even threatened just today.
'Ariadne and Thierry really need to get together soon... It would be best if the debutante ball served as the catalyst, but if not...'
For now, that is a matter to think about after the debutante ball is over, but I need to figure out a way to protect myself here.
'Money is needed to investigate various aspects, and money is also needed to acquire weapons or magical tools for self-defense...'
...In other words, money is the future.
Phew, let's remember. I'm a possessed person. Since I read the original work and know the future, I can use this to my advantage!
Okay. I'm sure Ariadne made some money in the original story, right? But how did she make it? Was it a mine?
...Anyway. Money again?
As for the mine, well... you need money to even look into it. The more I thought about it, the more of a daunting challenge it seemed.
"This isn't going to work. Let's go to sleep."
No matter how much I rack my brain right now, I don't think anything particularly helpful will come to mind, so I decided to rest for now and think about it slowly starting tomorrow.
Soon, I collapsed my weary body onto the bed and closed my eyes. Since both my body and mind were so exhausted, drowsiness washed over me like a tidal wave, as if it had been waiting for this moment.
After some time had passed, I opened my eyes in the middle of the night, buried in deep silence.
"...I broke it ambiguously."
My mind was wide awake as I had just woken up. Was falling asleep too early the problem? It seemed unlikely I would be able to fall asleep again, so I slowly got up from my seat.
I was fumbling to put on my slippers to drink some water when suddenly I heard a low knock.
"Princess, did you cough?"
Marie? Why is she here at this hour?
“Come in.”
Marie, looking even more gaunt than the day before, entered through the quietly opened door. She first glanced at me as if checking my complexion, then bowed at the waist to greet me.
"Excuse me. I heard you were hurt. It seemed like you skipped dinner to go to sleep, so I was waiting in case you needed anything."
"Ah... I'm fine with the injuries. Thanks to Your Majesty, I was treated immediately. Is Marie okay? You still don't look well."
“...Yes. It’s okay.”
"Really? Then let's forget about the food and talk for a bit."
I gestured for her to go to the table set up on one side of the room. After having Marie, who wanted to stand beside me, sit on the chair opposite me, I slowly drank some water.
'I needed Marie anyway, so I'm glad I saved myself the trouble of calling her separately.'
Gloomy and fear were clearly visible in Marie's eyes as she waited quietly through the tense day.
Marie flinched at the sound of a water glass being set down.
"You promised to tell me when I got back, didn't you? Who gave the order?"
"...This is Head Lady-in-Waiting Chloe and Senior Lady-in-Waiting Serira Walt."
Marie squeezed her eyes shut and whispered. It was a small voice, but it sounded like a loud shout.
"At first, I ordered a report on the Princess's every move. However, as the days went by, they wanted me to intervene more deeply..."
She tried to explain, in her own way, why they were acting this way. But to summarize, they had grown annoyed that I, whom they saw as nothing more than a prisoner of war, was spending increasingly long periods of time with Thierry, and they were thinking of getting rid of me entirely.
"I have committed a grave sin. I should have told you in advance, but my ignorance put the Princess in danger. I am sorry. I will gladly accept any punishment."
Swallowing dryly and moving her lips several times, Marie soon shed silent tears, wetting her cheeks.
'From Marie's perspective, her life must have been on the line. It was an unavoidable choice, I suppose. It's not that I don't understand it.'
A moment of silence followed. I quietly gazed at Marie, then tilted my head slightly and opened my mouth.
"How long has it been since those people hit you?"
"Yes?"
"This isn't the first time, is it?'
"Ah... getting punished for mistakes happens quite often... so Serira Walt is usually the one who administers the punishment."
"Corporal punishment? That’s quite a sweet wrapper. Is Serira the disciplinarian or something... It looks like the head maid and the maid are very close?"
"Yes, I understand that Viscount Walt is a cousin of the Head Maid."
If that's the case, they must be well aware of some sort of conspiracy. I'd better hurry up and get rid of a few of them before they destroy the evidence.
"Have all the nobles who attended the hunting festival returned?"
"No. His Majesty has ordered that they remain at the Imperial Palace until the case is resolved. All entry and exit are prohibited."
Is it that bad? It was the optimal situation, better than I thought. The only problem is that the criminals are likely playing it safe out of fear of being caught...
I guess I should make a stage for them to move around.
"Marie."
"Yes."
I stared at her for a few seconds, then asked calmly.
"Instead of being punished, will you let me use you?"
Marie's eyes, which had been looking at me as if to humbly accept everything, shook violently.
"Use? Is that all?"
"Do you know what I would make you do, and are you asking if that is all?"
"I was even prepared to die."
"..."
"But since you are willing to use someone like me, if I can be of even the slightest help to the Princess, I will devote my life and do my utmost, no matter what it is."
Why so much?
I squinted slightly, as if feeling burdened.
"It’s not something that puts your life on the line, but it is dangerous. After all, you have to go find Serira."
“I will.”
There was not a shred of hesitation. Unlike the person who had looked at me with a dying face just moments ago, Marie's eyes were sparkling. As if she were simply happy to be able to help me.
I nodded once, guessing inwardly that the guilt must have been quite severe.
"Okay. Then, would you let Serira slip me some information?"
And I smiled. Like a harmless princess, just as always.
"It looks like the Princess brought arrows."
***
The midday sunlight streamed into the room through the window. As usual, I sat in a chair quietly enjoying the sunshine when suddenly, a knock was followed by an unfamiliar voice.
"Princess, I will enter."
It was a unilateral notification that could be called arrogant, but I just watched the other person enter with a gentle smile.
"I am Serira Walton. I will be serving the Princess from now on."
"What? What about Marie?"
I asked back, pretending to be surprised with an innocent face. At that, a smirk she could not bring herself to hide flashed across Serira's face.
"Marie Diana was demoted to menial tasks for failing to serve her master properly. I suspect she will be assigned to the laundry or the stables, which are said to be the toughest places."
"Demotion? I had absolutely no complaints!"
"Oh my, you're saying you were alright? That is a relief, but I heard that not only did you enter the forbidden Maze Forest, but you also returned on horseback with His Majesty."
"That..."
"It is also our duty to uphold the dignity of the person we serve. Since the seriousness of the incident has been further amplified by that matter, we determined that it is not something to be easily overlooked."
"Could it be that Marie suffered because of what happened, since I went into the maze forest? I was so shocked back then that I was completely flustered. If the horse hadn't suddenly gone wild, none of this would have happened... Is there no way I can help Marie?"
"...You want to help Marie?"
"Yes! If there is a way."
At that time, I was truly a sweet Princess who knew nothing of the world, in everyone's eyes.
'At this point, it's safe to say they completely rocked the stage. Look at that.'
A mysterious smile fell over Serira's face, which had been vaguely obscured throughout our conversation, as if she were grasping me.
"It’s not that there isn’t a way..."
"Really? What is it?"
"I heard the horse was hit by an arrow. If Marie finds the culprit, it would be taken into consideration."
"Oh! That makes sense."
"It will be difficult for Marie to move right now, so I was thinking of looking into it on her behalf while I attend to the Princess. What do you think?"
"I'm the one who should be thanking you! Serira. You are a truly good person."
I clasped my hands together and smiled broadly. As my acting reached its peak, Serira's thin mask was quickly peeled away.
"But how do we find the culprit? I heard the horse's carcass was burned, so there's no way to identify it."
"Was there anything unusual other than the body? Or did you bring anything else with you?"
"I have it! Just as the horse collapsed, the arrow bounced off, so I saved it."
"Really? Where is that arrowhead?"
Serira's eyes flashed.
Seeing that rashness in calling it an arrowhead when I just said arrow, it seems she is quite in a hurry.
I smiled brightly to live up to that expectation.
"I gave it to His Majesty."
As if saying, 'I did a good job, didn't I?'
"...!"
Serira's face hardened with satisfaction.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment