Did she encounter a beast? I saw animal footprints nearby.
Thierry grew increasingly pale as he saw no trace of Elisha, wondering if she had fled somewhere to escape this.
Hah, Thierry, who had never felt the limits of his body, strangely found himself constantly short of breath.
Ordering her to bring him game was merely a spiteful gesture toward the Princess who was shaking him... He intended to grant her wish even if she couldn't bring anything...
He became afraid that if things continued like this, she might fall into danger and he would never see that smiling face again.
Yes, it was scary. Thierry was increasingly afraid of this time of wandering alone.
'I should have brought Rood.'
No matter how clever it was, he could not expose his wolf to human hunters, so he had strictly prevented Rood from approaching the hunting grounds.
However, as the situation turned out this way, unexpected things began to weigh on his mind one by one.
Whoosh—the bushes swayed in the wind.
Thierry, who had been following the beast's footprints, spun around. With a swoosh, the sword revealed its blade, making a chilling sound as it followed his touch.
Then, as if reacting to an intangible threat, a silver wolf emerged from the bushes, emitting a murderous aura.
“Kwaaa~!”
In an instant, the Silver Wolf leaped high, its eyes gleaming. It was rare for a beast to withstand Thierry's immense intimidation and attack first, and it looked like a top-tier predator at first glance.
Thierry easily sliced through such a wolf. The cold, silvery-white blade scattered blood as if slicing through the wolf's hide.
It happened in an instant. With a thud, the wolf's carcass fell to the ground like a falling rock, and a heavy sound echoed through the forest.
He turned around without delay. As if this were no threat at all, his nerves were still on edge toward Elisha.
His steps, which had been frantically pushing through the bushes, slowed to a halt.
It was a familiar landscape. It was a hard-to-find place, a secret spot known only to two people in the world.
For a moment, his breath stopped. Thierry's pupils dilated from the boiling excitement.
'If...'
Vines twisted like a dead end between dense trees. And a narrow hole was visible on one side.
'Just in case, if you are there...'
Pushing through the tangled blades of grass and entering the hole, a tranquil path unfolded. As if it were another world, pale pink flower petals had fallen here and there along the path.
If you follow that path, a large peach tree stood there, and beneath it, a small cave was hidden.
"Your Majesty, here is the fruit!"
"What kind of fruit is that?"
"Peach! I can't believe a place like this exists. It feels like I've discovered a secret hideout. Shall we come visit often from now on?"
Thierry's steps, which had been moving like someone possessed by an illusion, came to a halt. With an indescribable expression, he took in the figure nestled inside the cave.
Instead of Lari, who was smiling happily while holding a peach in her arms, Elisha, who was curled up inside.
Thierry's chin trembled.
'I was destined to meet you again.'
***
I looked at the man who shouldn't be here, trembling inwardly.
'Hee—what's wrong with him?'
Thierry suddenly appeared before me with a menacing look, holding a blood-stained sword.
"...Your Majesty?"
Fortunately, the horse collapsed from exhaustion before I could fall off it, so I wasn't injured. However, a beast attracted by the smell of blood followed me, and while trying to avoid it, I naturally ended up here, which I consider the safest place.
I was planning to catch my breath for a moment and slip away, but I never expected him to come all the way here.
'Why isn't he saying anything, making me anxious? He could at least scold me like usual...'
From the moment our eyes met, his attitude of standing still without saying a word made me feel very uneasy.
'I'm already under suspicion because of the Rood matter... won't he misunderstand me even more severely just because I was here?'
It might be natural since hardly anyone enters the maze forest, but as far as I know, at that time, Thierry and I were the only ones who knew about this peach tree.
Because even though we have been wandering around this peach tree day after day for over five years, we have never once encountered anyone other than the two of us.
I glanced at him cautiously.
'Wait, but why does he look like that? Like someone who just came back from the dead...'
With his pale, stiff face, rough breathing, and even his chest heaving from his breathing, Thierry looked quite serious.
I leaned against one wall to slowly get up from my seat.
"Ugh...!"
I thought I might get better if I rested, but it seems I really sprained my ankle. Just as I was staggering and about to sit back down, Thierry, who had been stuck in the ground like a statue, quickly approached me.
“Are you hurt?”
Thanks to him holding my arm to support me, I avoided landing on my butt. But the problem was what came next.
He knelt down on one knee in front of me without hesitation and reached out his hand toward my left ankle with a worried look.
'Hyuk— You bothered me, so as punishment, I’ll break your ankle. Well, something like that...'
Since I had taken off my long boots as soon as I arrived here, he was able to recognize my injury immediately.
"It's swollen. Does it hurt a lot?"
Due to the reduced distance, his face was right up to me. As a result, I could clearly see the reddish corners of his eyes and his pupils, which looked unusually moist.
Like someone trying to swallow their tears.
'...Haha. So he wasn't that cruel. That's a relief.'
I felt embarrassed.
'Wait, Thierry crying? What a ridiculous misunderstanding. It would be one thing if he were just glistening from anger, but.'
Now, the judgment of him was merciless. Well, he might have cried when he was young, but that was in the past, and there was bound to be a limit to dwelling on the past.
I swallowed a hollow laugh and belatedly lowered my gaze. It was because I could feel his hand cautiously fumbling around my ankle.
"It's okay. I just slightly sprained it."
I cautiously stepped back as if to avoid his hand. I saw his large hand hover in the air for a moment before gently gripping it.
'...Why are you clenching your fists so scary?'
I was looking at him, debating whether I should put my foot back in its place. Our eyes met as he gazed at me with a strangely gloomy look in his eyes.
Huh? Is Thierry gloomy?
It seems my vision has gotten blurry because I had such a hard day. Seeing how I keep seeing things that shouldn't be visible since earlier.
The person who used to pick fights at the drop of a hat is suddenly pretending to care for me...
Right?
Huh? No way... are you trying to manipulate me into falling for you so you can easily get what you want...?
He has already shown off his true character so generously that he wouldn't use a honey trap, so this time he is putting on a brave face in his own way.
But seriously, is there any need for a human who could easily crush Ashtad to go through such trouble? Or did a situation arise where he desperately needed information about the elves?
Overwhelmed by confusion, I instinctively furrowed my brow. As I looked at him with childlike eyes, he parted his lips a few times and then whispered softly in a voice that seemed about to fade.
"... Lari."
Why is Lari coming up here? Do you seriously have some ulterior motive?
I gasped and opened my eyes wide without a moment to hide it. At my reaction, Thierry's eyes sparkled, and he leaned his face towards me.
"Lari, do you remember?"
"Yes."
Watching his face brighten noticeably—I wonder what he was expecting—I cautiously continued speaking.
"She's the one I mentioned last time. If the wolf had followed well..."
"Ah..."
Am I seriously seeing things because I'm so tired? Why does Thierry look like a dejected dog with its ears drooping?
"...Is that all?"
"Yes! I also remember very well that I shouldn't mention it!"
"No, you can mention it."
“...Why?”
He said in an impatient voice.
“You’re Lari.”
"Ah, really? What?"
“That’s right, Lari.”
What are you suddenly talking about? Why are you calling me Lari? You were so eager to tear me apart...
Could it be that you're planning to get rid of me entirely because I keep bothering you? Is that a highly sophisticated way of testing the waters?
"W-What are you talking about, Your Majesty! It is Elisha. The Princess who dragged—no, followed—from the Kingdom of Ashtad!"
He stared intently at me as I desperately denied it, then covered his face with one hand and lightly rubbed his forehead.
"Are you unaware?"
I thought he said something about self-awareness, but wondering why on earth he was acting like that, all I could do was tilt my head slightly and look at him anxiously.
Soon, a long sigh escaped from him. Running his hand across his face as if washing it dry, he looked at me with an unreadable expression and spoke in a low voice.
"...Go back first and get treated."
It felt like they were backing down a bit. But who would have thought he would get me into trouble over something else?
"Oh, I can walk!"
I was startled by his sudden action of lifting me up. As I trembled with anxiety, clearly feeling his strong, thick arms supporting my back and knees, he shouted at me.
"You're hurt. Stay still."
"It's not to the point where I can't walk!"
"Fine. You were put in danger due to my negligence, so I will make sure to compensate you. Tell me everything you want."
He calls it compensation, but who knows if he'll just give you the disease and then offer the cure again? I'd rather just not take it.
"Your Majesty's fault! It was merely an accident. You don't have to say that!"
I recoiled in horror and waved my hand dismissively.
As his gaze, which had been fixed straight ahead, met mine, his right arm pulled me toward him and hugged me. I blinked rapidly at his profile, which was now right in front of my nose.
"It is unthinkable to cause such trouble to my distinguished guest. The Princess must be compensated."
...Are you crazy?
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment