A prominent vein was visible on the forehead, revealed between the fingers. It looked as if it were suppressing something.
Moreover, seeing Thierry's chest swell up and then deflate, it was clear that 'Lari's' presence harmed him.
'Maybe she thought I knew something about Lari? Because he misunderstood that Lari ran away...'
The vast field felt desolate. In that strange sensation, I pressed my arm firmly against my chest, which had been throbbing for some time.
I didn't run away; I died...
I knew I wouldn't be able to stand before him as Lari, but I wondered if I should at least let him know this fact.
'It's more complicated than I thought.'
Swallowing a sigh, I gazed into the distance. Instead of speaking rashly, I decided to simply wait for his silence.
But then, a noise that was gradually getting closer caught my ear. Following the sound of something running, I looked around and spotted a black wolf running toward me from a distance.
'Ah...Rood.'
A sigh escaped my lips. Who knows where he had been chasing us from; Rood naturally squeezed his way between us.
'This isn't the time for this, Rood. Get a clue, please...'
I looked down at Rood, who was lying on his back at my feet in pure bliss, acting all high and mighty, then glanced nervously at him.
I don't know how long Thierry had been watching me, but the look he had shown just moments ago was nowhere to be seen; instead, he was staring at me with his usual cold expression.
"...The Princess has a better knack for playing games with people than I thought."
His expression as he stuck out his tongue and licked his lips was strangely fierce.
“It’s very fun.”
It wasn't fun at all. I automatically felt a shiver down my spine at his attitude, as if he were fixated on something strange.
Isn't it because of the wind?
I squeezed my eyes shut and then opened them again as a strong gust of wind suddenly passed by. Just then, his large hand, which had come right up to my nose, came into view.
"I'm looking forward to the hunting festival."
His fingertips, full of warmth, tucked my disheveled stray hairs behind my ears. Beneath his half-closed, delicate black eyelashes, his red eyes flashed briefly.
***
I muttered as I roughly laid my refreshed body down on the bed.
"I wonder if I'll end up dying for being so nosy..."
It was to the point where I genuinely wanted to give up, making the deliberation I had felt a few days ago during our first riding practice about whether to tell him about Lari's death seem pointless. After spending a few days consumed by passion and experiencing his personality and capriciousness firsthand, I realized the harsh reality that trying to tell him the truth could cost me my life.
"Ah, I don't know. I'm so exhausted."
Thierry really had no talent for teaching.
They explained half-heartedly, saying, "Just do it like this," with a look that said, "Why don't you know this?" and then immediately clicked his tongue dismissively if you couldn't follow along, as if you looked at something pathetic. How can you possibly learn anything when that is how it works?
"This..."
I groaned and crawled under the covers, intending to get some sleep before dinner.
'Phew, my body aches.'
It’s not that riding a horse isn’t fun, but since I have absolutely no muscle, it was doubly difficult. On top of that, spending time with him while being extremely nervous about making a mistake caused immense mental stress.
"To think tomorrow is already the hunting festival—time really flies."
The only consolation was that his riding lessons ended today... but even that was of little use when I thought of the hunting trip tomorrow.
I have to take a walk alone in the forest while others are hunting; that would be quite comfortable.
It would be a miracle if the nobles didn't act all territorial. Why on earth are they including me in that...
"Ah?"
Are you perhaps setting the stage for the nobles so they can torment me to their heart's content?
I gaped at the sudden surge of anxiety.
'Given Thierry's personality, wouldn't he be more than capable of doing that...?'
It was a plausible hypothesis, so I couldn't adamantly deny it. Accepting my conjecture as if it were a foregone conclusion, I buried my face deep in the pillow.
Maybe it would be easier to just die like this. What am I going to do! Will I be okay tomorrow?
"Um... Princess?"
"Huh?"
I looked up at Marie's voice calling me cautiously. I didn't hear a knock; when did she come in?
"I knocked but didn't get an answer."
Perhaps noticing it on her face, Marie muttered an excuse and glanced toward the door.
"Why... Gasp, Your Majesty."
"Princess, you seem to be overflowing with energy. You were trying to die earlier; was that all just acting?"
A sneer appeared on Thierry's face as he looked down at me crookedly, though I couldn't tell where on earth he had seen it.
I sprang up from my seat with a startled look on my face.
"No! It was really hard!"
"Your voice is booming, too."
"...It's true."
He raised one eyebrow at my attitude of flinching and drastically lowering my voice to a whisper.
I cautiously got out of bed, glancing at him.
“Let’s have some tea.”
He stared at me with a strange expression, gestured to Marie, and headed toward the terrace.
It was a bold step, as if it were his own room.
'What brings you to my room?'
I was very puzzled because he had never come to visit like this before.
With unhidden curiosity cast over my face, I followed him to the balcony.
A purple sunset was setting in the sky, overlaid by the season of shorter days. Sitting in a chair against that beautiful backdrop, he crossed his long legs and leaned back against the backrest.
He did not take his eyes off me until I sat down in the chair opposite him. That couldn't be right. It was clearly his usual indifferent gaze, yet strangely, I felt as though he were scrutinizing me closely.
“You’re fine.”
You weren't worried about me, were you?
"You should be able to participate in the hunting festival tomorrow without any problems."
...Just as I thought, my brief burst of anticipation cooled bitterly.
It looks like he came to check for himself, perhaps worried that I might feign illness tomorrow. His character, which never disappoints, brought a resigned smile to my face.
"Yes, of course. Haha..."
Thierry roughly waved his hand at Marie, who was quickly setting the tea on the table and stepping back, as if telling her to leave.
I glanced once at the closing terrace door, once at the cup of warm tea, and finally once at him lazily drinking the tea.
"Princess."
"...Yep."
I was about to drink tea when I quickly put the cup down at the sound of someone calling me.
“Is there anything you want?”
"Yes?"
"Tell me what you want."
Thierry narrowed his eyebrows and looked at me.
'...Avoiding running into you as much as possible?'
Ugh, my mouth clamped shut at the thought of my true feelings that I was about to blurt out honestly. It was a moment when my sanity wavered due to the continuous grueling days.
He, who had no way of knowing what was going on inside my head—or rather, who wasn't even slightly curious—tilted his head slightly and urged me for an answer with his eyes. True to his nature of hating to repeat himself, he blatantly gave off the vibe that his patience was wearing thin.
"If that is what I want, I would like to contact my family."
I answered quickly and smiled brightly.
"Contact?"
He raised one eyebrow and asked. He looked somewhat surprised.
What did he think I was going to ask for to make that face? Did he really think I was going to beg him to let me go back?
If that is really the case, I did pretend to be a harmless Princess on purpose, but I didn't know I would look that immature.
"Of course, not often, but I’d like to send a letter at least once or twice a month. I just want to let them know how I’m doing."
I smiled somewhat cautiously and added slowly.
'If it's like this...'
It was obvious that everyone would be having a hard time, having sent their youngest daughter, who had opened her eyes for the first time in seven years, as a hostage to a foreign country. Even though I don't have enough affection for them to miss them, I remember the warmth with which they treated me, so I wanted to do at least this one thing for them.
I also felt sorry that I only thought of Ashtad now because I was so busy adjusting here.
"I'll let you exchange letters twice a month."
It was an unexpected and generous answer.
I stared at him with wide eyes.
"Instead, bring back results from the hunting."
"... What?"
"If that's what you want so much, there's nothing you can't do."
"Hmm—so, Your Majesty, are you saying that I should go hunting myself?"
"Yes."
I get it.
I was wondering why you came all the way to my room, but it turns out you personally showed up just to pick a fight.
'I see.'
I smiled kindly and nodded.
"Princess, you can do it?"
He had asked me to do it, but when I immediately nodded, Thierry asked as if surprised.
Anyway, that mouth of terror! He's the Prince himself, yet he keeps bringing up the Princess at every turn...
'Phew. Done. Anyway, hunting... How am I supposed to hunt? Will I be able to?'
You spoke grandly of it as an achievement, but wouldn't taking just one decent thing be enough? I have a track record of finding animal carcasses for food when I was living as Lari, so I think that much should be possible...
I wasn't asking to smuggle anything, and I thought it might be worth a try as long as there weren't any troublesome restrictions.
I wasn't asking for first place, and I thought it might be worth a try as long as there weren't any troublesome restrictions.
“Yes. I will try.”
Since there is only one answer anyway, there is nothing to worry about.
"You really aren't afraid."
I accepted it cleanly, knowing that he wouldn't let me off the hook no matter how much I trembled, but Thierry was frowning as if something displeased him.
"Pfft," he stared at me intently, clicked his tongue briefly, lowered his eyes, and spoke in a low voice.
"There are no rules. Just bring it."
His hand gestures, which had been aimlessly tilting the teacup, stopped with the final announcement.
"I will reward you for this interesting deal."
Today is really giving the disease and then the cure...
"The debutante ball will be held in fifteen days. The Princess should participate, too."
No, no matter how I look at it, it seems like it only causes problems.
***
The servants' quarters had quite good facilities, but Marie had never once felt comfortable there.
"What about that Princess?"
A lady-in-waiting of fallen nobility was no different from a maid in charge of menial tasks. To be entrusted with the role of personal lady-in-waiting to a Princess from another country filled her with nothing but bewilderment and anxiety. And those worries turned out to be true.
Marie's shoulders hunched at the voice questioning her. Lowering her head even further for fear of making eye contact, Marie answered timidly.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment