"I was just passing by, and since it seemed like you were looking for something, I struck up a conversation in case I could be of any help..."
Ethan naturally continued the conversation and picked up the Imperial book that I hadn't managed to pick up from the floor.
"So you were reading the Book of Empires."
"Ah, yes. I saw this while choosing books and intended to read it for a moment, but I ended up showing a rather unflattering side of myself."
“Not at all.”
He pursed his lips, looking troubled as if choosing his words carefully. His eyes, which had been lowered as he looked at the Imperial Book, slowly turned toward me.
"My gaze was drawn to you as you concentrated, and I ended up committing a breach of etiquette."
His answer was slightly awkward. He seemed like someone who didn't know what to do because his own behavior felt unfamiliar.
I gazed at his pure white face and noticed the tips of his ears, which were flushed red in striking contrast.
"To be honest, I tried to act polite, but since this is the first time I've initiated a conversation like this, I'm quite inexperienced."
He must be a shy person. His clear eyes, which had been trembling aimlessly, met my gaze again, like someone who had finally mustered up the courage.
"...It must be tough coming all the way here alone from so far away. Are you feeling okay?"
"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you for your concern."
I let out a chuckle, wondering if he had been holding back for so long just to say that.
As I tilted my head slightly and looked up at him, I saw him avert his eyes like someone who had been startled.
“Ah. That’s it..."
"..."
I think I've disturbed you too much. I suppose you would be more comfortable being alone.
"Ah."
With his neck now flushed red, he thrust the Imperial Book he was holding at me as if dumping it on me. I accepted the Imperial Book in a daze, but the heavy weight momentarily shook my balance, causing me to stagger.
"Phew. I, I'm sorry."
He had been anxiously glancing at me, wondering if he should take it back, but he let out a sigh of relief when I stood upright with the book clutched to my chest. Then, he slowly backed away, gave a silent bow, and turned around as if running away.
It felt like the first impression of skillful politeness was quickly shattered.
I revealed my clumsy side like an innocent boy, which he found quite fascinating, so I followed him quickly and stood at the corner.
His retreating figure could be seen in the distance as he ruffled his hair and then walked away with his head bowed low.
"What a strange person..."
Unfortunately, all I gained from coming to Podia was deep skepticism.
***
The unwanted dinner time approached. And I remembered something I had momentarily forgotten due to the shock of having to eat with Thierry.
“Do you know how to ride a horse?”
It was a hunting festival.
Worried that I might have trouble digesting it, I stopped putting the meat I had chopped into the smallest possible pieces into my mouth and looked at Thierry.
"No. I haven't been in good health and have been lying down for a long time, so I haven't been able to do any exercises that put a strain on my body."
As I answered while quietly putting down my fork, he clicked his tongue briefly in displeasure.
"Tsk. Then shouldn't you be exercising even more?"
"...I am taking a walk."
"Is a walk exercise?"
"Um... walking exercise?”
"Princess."
"Yes?"
"You're really good at mouth exercises, too?"
What are you complaining about right now for talking back?
I just let out an awkward laugh as cold sweat trickled down my back.
He pulled the corners of his mouth up and smiled, perhaps pleased with my attitude of keeping my mouth shut while watching his reaction.
"Then shouldn't you know how to speak a little? What's the use of just being good at talking?"
His blood-red eyes, devoid of even the slightest hint of a smile, seemed to gleam for some reason.
"Are you planning to walk around during the hunting festival?"
"What? Do I have to ride a horse at the hunting festival? I thought women usually just observe..."
"Princess, why are you so narrow-minded? Why do you think women are only supposed to observe?"
It’s true and a really good idea, but somehow it felt awful because Thierry said it.
"...Your Majesty is right, but unfortunately, I am not in good health, so I think hunting will be difficult for me."
"I don't expect you to catch anything. In fact, it's a miracle if you don't get eaten by beasts."
Are you saying you’re going to send me to the hunting festival while thinking like that? I felt dizzy at your bleak personality.
"Go take a quick ride around on horseback. Who knows? Something interesting might happen."
I had no idea what on earth he was up to, but Thierry didn't seem to have any intention of backing down. Then again, the one who brought up the Hunting Festival wasn't an attempt to ask for my opinion in the first place; it was merely a notification.
Arguing back here would only endanger my own safety.
"...Understood. Then, shall I learn horseback riding from Sir Oscar?"
"No, I will gladly teach you."
My eyelids trembled at the sight of him languidly resting his chin on his hand and staring at me.
Ha, life.
Whether my safety was at risk or not, I should have just laid down and said I couldn't do it.
***
These were pants I hadn't worn in a long time.
The white riding outfit Marie had prepared fit my body neatly, and the black long boots that covered my calves were much more comfortable to wear than the uncomfortable shoes that were just pretty, so they lifted my low mood a little.
I stepped off my shoes, rolled my comfortable feet on the floor a few times, and asked Marie, who was adjusting my clothes, in passing.
"What are the rules for the hunting festival?"
"The winner is the one who catches and brings back the most game before dusk. The winner is awarded a diamond chest and prize money, which they can transfer to another person."
“A transfer too?”
"Well, to put it differently, it also means dedicating one's honor. That is why it is a tradition for engaged couples to exchange gifts with each other."
"I see. Then many nobles will gather, won't they?"
"Yes, especially this time, we expect an unprecedented turnout. After all, the hunting festival was canceled last year due to the war with the Kingdom of Tahel, and the debutante ball that was supposed to be held this spring has also been delayed."
"Ah. So the debutante isn't here yet..."
"Yes. So I heard that permission has been granted for the young ladies scheduled to have their debutante balls this year to participate in this hunting festival."
Marie neatly arranged my loosely braided hair in front of my left chest, then glanced at me cautiously.
"Come to think of it, the debutante ball is being held next month. By any chance, did the Princess have your debutante ball?"
"I decided to move on for health reasons."
Actually, since I ended up coming here, I didn't even have time to talk about it with my family, but I just smiled awkwardly and brushed it off.
Marie understood my situation but stepped back with a look of pity, as if she were ready.
"Phew, then shall we go?"
I opened the door, letting out an unhidden sigh.
"I heard that you are learning to ride directly from His Majesty today?"
Oscar, who had been waiting in front, spoke to me in a surprised tone as if he had been waiting for this moment.
However, having so much to think about, I didn't have the luxury to answer sincerely.
"Well... that’s how it turned out."
So, as I vaguely brushed off the conversation, I could feel Oscar looking at me for a moment with a curious gaze.
'It goes without saying that he's acting like that because he finds Thierry's whims fascinating.'
I pretended not to see him and walked ahead, retracing the part that had been bothering me for a while.
'If it's a debutante this year, it means it's about time the original heroine appeared as well...'
Since the original heroine likely hadn't made her debut in high society yet, there was a high probability that she and Thierry hadn't met unless they had a point of contact.
'If the two of them meet at this hunting festival, could something possibly change?'
In the original story, Thierry meets the original heroine once when he is eighteen, and after turning twenty, he prepares to take revenge on the Emperor who abandoned his mother to death, as well as the Crown Prince and Empress who try to kill him. During that time, he reunites with the original heroine; they develop feelings for each other, and the original heroine provides considerable help to Thierry in usurping the imperial throne.
As of now, with so many variables, I didn't know how their relationship would turn out, but I still held onto a glimmer of hope. It was the thought that if Thierry were to fall in love in the future, he might become more forgiving toward those around him.
'I guess I'll have to secretly keep an eye on the two of them if the heroine shows up at this hunting festival.'
I walked with a determined expression.
"Anyone watching would think I was going to war."
"Wow!"
Startled by a voice suddenly coming from behind, I turned my head to find Thierry looking down at me as if I were a worthless creature.
"I greet His Imperial Majesty the Emperor, the Sun of the Empire."
Thierry walked past me with a look that showed he didn't care whether I greeted him or not.
'Anyway, that personality...'
Today, he showed off a personality that surpassed his handsome looks even further.
I secretly glanced at his retreating figure as I followed him.
'It looks like he's walking leisurely, so why is he so fast!'
I followed him diligently, fearing that I might get into trouble if I lagged behind, but the distance between us did not narrow.
As he, a head taller than me, strode along on his long legs, I had no choice but to look like a bird scurrying about.
'When he was little, I used to hold his hand and walk side by side, matching his pace...'
I felt strangely wronged, thinking it was because of the unavoidable height difference. I pouted, but I also frowned as my breathing became increasingly rapid.
Ah. Life.
I suddenly felt sad.
At this rate, I'll faint before I even get on the horse...
My body, which had done nothing but walk sporadically until now, was already getting exhausted.
'It seems like they don't care whether you come or not. Shall we take a breather before we go?'
My steps gradually slowed at the slight temptation. I watched the broad back receding into the distance, then abruptly lowered my gaze and caught my breath.
I'd rather just faint. It's not that I'm afraid of riding a horse, but I felt a sense of shame because I felt like I absolutely couldn't do it with this level of stamina.
'If I stick to my plan to just stay in my room, my health will be the first to collapse. In any case, I really need to get my body moving.'
It was when I lifted my eyes letting out a deep sigh.
"Ah..."
Thierry, who had come right up to me in the blink of an eye, was staring down at me intently.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment