"Great!"
Linea's eyes sparkled.
I couldn't help but burst out laughing because Linea, who was so eager to help me, was so cute.
Linea wandered around the boutique for a while and began to intently observe the dresses.
"I'm only going to buy two."
When I said that, the child's eyes became more serious.
After much deliberation, Linea narrowed down the candidates to five.
I started the fashion show, just as Linea did last time.
"You are pretty!"
Linea clapped and stomped her feet in delight.
"What do you like the most?"
"They're all pretty, but..."
Honestly, it was closer to Linea's taste than mine, but in the end, Linea chose two dresses.
"I'll change here before I go. You can mend the clothes I took off and the other one by tomorrow and send them to Count Delmore's mansion, right?"
“Of course, Ma'am!”
Since last time, I have been buying multiple items at once, so I have been treated better.
After the payment, I held hands with Linea and walked down the street again.
"I need to choose a gift for Lucian today. What would be good?"
"What do boys like?"
“Well, really?”
My expression became just as serious as Linea's.
Linea was worried because she didn't know what kind of gift the boys would like, but I had a headache knowing that Lucian was growing up to be the Crown Prince.
'No, what should I give to someone who has everything?'
Would such children actually prefer a simple handwritten letter or a heartfelt gift?
Then, suddenly, an image of a wealthy man flashed through my mind.
Carcel grinned, his gold teeth gleaming, and arrogantly rested his arms on the open carriage.
'How about a man with 32 bank accounts and deeds for 8 houses?'
I hurriedly shook my head at the image that seemed to be saying just that.
'It's severely distorted somewhere!'
But one thing is certain: Carcel will still know the boys' tastes!
"Linea, then shall we contact someone we know well?"
It seemed like a question mark appeared in Linea's eyes at my words.
And I soon headed to the communications booth.
I went into the booth with Linea and called Carcel.
'He might not accept it.'
However, he received the communication sooner than expected.
[Asha?]
"Carcel, if I contacted you while you were busy, you can hang up!"
[I am not busy at all.]
Just as someone behind him said, "Even so, you still have to approve this document...!", there was a dull thud.
Soon, the other end of the line fell silent.
“Ca, Carcel?”
[...Ah. Sorry. A fly was flying around for a moment.]
My pupils narrowed.
'It's a real fly, right?'
Do flies these days speak with a human voice?
Even while thinking that, I first asked a question.
"Actually, we were invited to a luncheon hosted by Linea's new friend today. It's a boy."
[Ah.]
"But he is a boy from a very wealthy family. What on earth should I give as a gift to a child like this?"
Carcel gave a clear answer to my question as if he didn't need to think about it any further.
[It has to be the sword, doesn't it? Swordsmanship is a basic level of education.]
"Hmm..."
If we're talking about swords, Lucian probably has more than 10 just from his collection alone.
Besides, I am going to meet the Crown Prince... even if he is hiding his identity, I won't be allowed to bring a real sword inside.
I pressed my hand to my forehead and asked again.
"Isn't there anything a little less dangerous?"
[Dagger? Rapier? Mace?]
"Do you really think that is dangerous?"
Carcel's standard was significantly different from mine.
No, looking at Carcel's information, there wasn't anything particularly strange. Judging by this, he seems to have no sense of caution regarding weapons, like someone who's been on the battlefield for about 10 years.
[I think I was wrong. The best gift for a dangerous boy is definitely a hunting dog or a hawk.]
"No! Is he going to a battlefield or something? He's just an ordinary 10-year-old boy who lives quite well!"
[Then...]
Carcel, who seemed to be lost in thought for a moment, soon answered.
[Something made exclusively for that child would be better. A wealthy child who can have anything would just use ordinary things. Because he's not impressed.]
"A letter or dessert would be fine, right?"
[I think that would actually be better. When I was young, oatmeal porridge and dried jerky were my staple foods, so sometimes the snacks my mother sent were better than anything.]
"No way, that dormitory..."
For a moment, I almost confessed that I had investigated his background.
Good heavens, I heard you went to boarding school.
Why give a child only oatmeal porridge and dried jerky?
"It’s amazing how tall Carcel is. Even though you only ate that kind of thing during your growth period."
[Since it's genetic, if I had a child, they would probably be just as tall as I am even if they went hungry throughout their growth period. Anyway, if it were me, I think I would be more touched by snacks.]
I remembered how much Lucian liked eating ice cream and brownies last time.
In that case, I should just buy Lucian some dessert that the Imperial Chef would absolutely never make.
Along with Linea's handwritten letter thanking him for the invitation!
"Thank you. Thanks to you, my problem is solved."
[...That’s a relief.]
After a brief silence, Carcel answered that it was a relief, his tone slightly sullen.
After meeting him a few times, I could sense a bit of emotion in Carcel's voice, even though there wasn't much variation in pitch.
'You're a little disappointed right now because I didn't make plans, aren't you?'
I could feel it, so I bit my lip hard.
And I subtly sounded him out.
"Then, Carcel, we need to revise the contract, so shall we meet briefly tomorrow?"
[Is that so?]
Even though there was no particular difference from just moments ago, I could tell he was a little excited.
Carcel continued speaking to me.
[My legal counsel is at Lombardy's office.]
"Then let's meet tomorrow in front of the statue in the center of Piazza Pecia in Lombardy!"
[Okay. What time would you like?]
"You should be on time with Carcel rather than me."
[How about 2 PM?]
But from the other end of the phone where he was asking that, I could hear someone shouting, "The Council of Elders!"
The sound became muffled for a moment, as if the receiver had been blocked, then soon returned to silence.
I asked him, feeling suspicious.
"You're okay, right?"
[It's okay.]
He answered nonchalantly, as if nothing were wrong. And he added.
[Ah. And Asha.]
"Yes?"
[I received a ring from my mother.]
Ring?
“A proposal?”
That was all I thought.
Linea's eyes sparkled for a moment upon hearing my words.
I stroked Linea's hair, then naturally moved down to her cheek, fiddling with her soft flesh as I continued speaking.
"I'm not mentally prepared yet."
My momentarily startled heart was being healed by her chubby cheeks.
Then Carcel whispered to me in a deep, confident voice.
[It’s fine. I wouldn’t marry anyone other than Asha anyway. Even if you don’t accept me, that is your choice, so it is only natural.]
This man is really.
I knew he wasn't lying.
If you keep going this far, there is no way to avoid it. And I can't turn a blind eye either.
I kept biting my lip.
It was even more awkward because I could feel Linea listening to our conversation.
In the end, I had no choice but to answer him.
"For now... let's meet and talk tomorrow!"
[Then I will see you tomorrow at 2 PM.]
"Ah. Shall I switch Linea over before hanging up?"
When I asked that, Carcel let out a low laugh over the phone.
[Very well. If I'm lucky, she'll be my daughter.]
"Eek."
It was true, so without even being able to refute it, I handed the receiver to Linea.
Linea took the phone and immediately greeted him shyly.
"Please take good care of Mother."
"Linea!"
"Yes, I'll call again later."
The two of them were already talking, assuming that Carcel and I would get married.
Linea handed the receiver back to me, and I let out a deep sigh and spoke to Carcel.
"I'm really quitting now. You're unbelievable."
[Asha. By the way, do you know something?]
“What else?”
He spoke slowly to me, who gave a curt answer out of embarrassment.
[Sitting like this makes me feel like a husband waiting for Asha and my daughter who have gone out. I have a feeling the two of you will return to the Marquis's mansion.]
"..."
My fever rose so high that my head felt numb.
A truly crazy person!
[I really miss you.]
At the low voice filled with sincere emotion, I could not control the burning sensation in my heart and simply blurted out a single word.
"Me too! Let's hang up!"
When I held his hand tightly for a moment before we parted yesterday, it felt as though I could still feel the sensation of it.
So, before I could even hear his answer, I abruptly cut off the communication device.
'My cheeks are hot.'
Linea, who had been staring up at me intently, opened her mouth.

Comments
Post a Comment