WMHMS - Chapter 26




It seems that Carcel's mother tends to raise her son to be a bit strict.

Still, Carcel isn't exactly lacking in anything.

Of course, it looks really scary, though.

And since I ignored all obstacles and went straight ahead, it was a bit overwhelming at first.

...Come to think of it, I don't think I'm someone who's used to dealing with people, though!

Still, in his own way, he was someone who did his best!

Even now, he is desperately covering his face with his palms, hoping that we will feel at ease with him and the Marquis's mansion.

'It must be because she knows that Linea is my top priority even when I think about my relationship with him.'

Carcel went ahead again and guided us to the mansion.

"If you go up these stairs, you will find a shortcut directly to the mansion. Please be careful not to fall."

Since the mansion was so large, the stairs were also quite long and high.

I thought it would be more dangerous to go up holding hands, so I let go of Linea's hand and let her go first.

Carcel, who had been watching Linea and me, began to earnestly explain to us the food prepared for today.

"I asked them to prepare a separate lunch menu for your daughter as well. They said they would finely chop the vegetables and season them lightly so it wouldn't be too salty, suitable for a child."

"Really? I can't believe you went to such lengths for me."

When I see things like that, I don't know if I should say he is doing his best or being meticulous.

He covered the side of his face with his palm, turned only his head toward us, and continued speaking.

"The chef, who hadn't even dreamed of social events or had much to do because the hostess wasn't around, was making a huge fuss with excitement over developing a menu for young children."

"I'm glad I didn't bother you."

Saying that, I nodded.

But that was then.

As I walked ahead up the stairs leading from the garden to the mansion, Linea stumbled about halfway through.

“Aaaah!”

“Linea!”

Linea had been excited for a while.

'I should have warned you earlier!'

Of course, as I was behind, I was running forward to catch Linea in my arms...

Yank.

Carcel, who was clearly further ahead of me, suddenly grabbed Linea, who was coming from behind, and lifted her up.

"Uh?"

He surely couldn't see properly because his vision was blocked by his hand.

Carcel turned to me and spoke as I blinked in confusion.

"You don't need to worry. I have caught your daughter."

He looked serene as he held Linea lightly in his arms, as if she were a feather.

Carcel was like a father who instinctively sensed that his child would get hurt.

I asked with a surprised face.

"Wait, how did you know? You couldn't have even seen it." 

"I am confident that I am second to none in physical ability."

I think so.

I belatedly realized that my fingertips were trembling. So, hiding my slightly convulsing hands, I hurriedly approached Linea.

"That's such a relief. Are you okay, Linea?"

Compared to Carcel, who remained unfazed, Linea looked surprised not only by the fact that she had almost fallen but also by the fact that she was immediately held in his arms.

"Yes."

"It's okay, Linea. Are you hurt?"

Carcel desperately turned his head to Linea.

Then Linea looked at me and nodded.

"It's okay."

"That's a relief, baby. You could get seriously hurt if you fell on such high stairs."

"I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to apologize for, but make sure you're careful not to get hurt, okay?"

I looked at Linea's innocent face with a worried expression.

"Yes! I'll be careful from now on."

Linea fidgeted with her fingers with a remorseful look on her face at my words.

I gently stroked Linea's hair.

I breathed a sigh of relief that the child wasn't hurt.

Anyway, Carcel doesn't move a muscle even while we are talking.

No matter how small Linea is, she is 10 years old.

It was a bit difficult for me to hold Linea for a long time, but Carcel still looked as if he wasn't tired at all.

"Carcel, aren't you heavy? After all, Linea isn't a newborn baby."

 "Your daughter seems just as thin as Asha. She has almost no weight to her."

Judging by his indifferent face, he seems to be sincere.

"Could you please carry her just up to the stairs for now, as Linea might fall again?" 

"Of course."

He started going back up as if nothing had happened while holding Linea.

As I was walking up the stairs right next to Carcel, keeping pace, he asked very seriously.

"Would it be better to proceed with construction to downsize the house for your daughter?

"Yes?"

"I am worried that the garden or the house might be too big for your daughter and Asha. What if you get hurt when I am not around?"

"Are you asking this with all your heart?"

He seemed to think of Linea and me as the weakest things in the world.

I was dumbfounded and rebutted Carcel.

"I did almost trip on the stairs once, but neither Linea nor I are like easily broken porcelain dolls!"

"Then we will have to keep a person from the escort assigned to you at all times."

"We haven't even decided to get married yet, and Linea hears everything, you know?"

Even though I gave Linea a heads-up, it is still embarrassing.

Linea, who was being held by Carcel, is looking at us with bright, alert eyes and listening to the conversation!

His words made me unnecessarily angry, so I shook my head.

"Uh. Anyway, don't even think about touching the house or anything like that because of us."

"Understood. You don't need to worry."

Carcel answered obediently and continued speaking.

"It is generally the lady of the house who decides the overall interior and exterior design, but I lack a sense of aesthetics, so I honestly am not confident in that kind of work."

The moment the words were finished, I had climbed all the stairs.

He carefully bent down to his knees and put Linea back down.

Linea bowed lightly to him in greeting.

"Thank you."

"No, not at all. You may use me as a carriage whenever you need me."

"Ah. No. I would never do such a thing...!"

Did he feel a little more comfortable just from being in contact for a moment?

Linea closed her eyes and shook her head desperately.

I ended up smiling at Linea.

"The Marquis just teased Linea because she's cute." 

"Ah."

Linea, still young and innocent, had an expression that showed she finally understood.

Carcel also asked this time with a faint smile on his lips.

"Shall we go inside now?" 

"Yes!"

As I entered the house, my eyes became even more enchanted.

"and…"

Although there are few places to compare, even Countess Anesa's mansion was not this extravagant.

The interior was decorated with warm-colored furniture, ornaments intricately crafted with curves like the Rococo style, and spring flowers in full bloom.

I was speechless.

It was the same for Linea. Honestly, there was no way a child would ever have a reason to see a house like this.

Linea opened her mouth wide to look inside.

And Carcel was glancing sideways at us, trying to gauge our reaction.

“...Is it not that good?”

He slyly asked if he had misinterpreted our surprised reaction.

It was only then that I came to my senses and answered hurriedly.

"No. No, that's not it. You didn't say the interior of the mansion would be this beautiful!"

"If Asha becomes the lady of the house, you may redecorate the interior as you wish."

"No! I don't know much about interior design either. I'm just amazed right now."

“Thank goodness.”

Carcel let out a small laugh. He seemed slightly relieved.

“Smells delicious.”

As I unwittingly muttered about the smell of food wafting from afar, he politely asked me a question.

"Then, would you like to eat first?"

"That’s fine. I just ate something light this morning. I think Linea is probably getting hungry by now, too."

I took Linea's hand as she was distracted by the splendid interior.

And when I followed him to the dining room, the waiting servants opened the door for me.

A large amount of food, clearly not enough for three people, was piled high on the long table.

"hyuk"

"As I mentioned, the chef got a bit carried away and did go a little overboard."

"You must have been really excited."

I muttered softly, feeling sick of it even before I started eating.

"Then, would you like to eat now?"

No one sat in the seat of honor, and we sat facing Carcel.

The food filling the table was likely delicious, but even the plating felt elegant.

'Even Oliveto, the restaurant I took you to, is a fairly high-end place, but it looks shabby compared to the meals I eat here every day.'

If I stayed still, a servant would come over on their own, serve me the food I wanted, and even attend to me.

"I can just eat it myself."

He looked as if he would even feed me if push came to shove.


Previous                    Next



Comments