TVHR - Chapter 5




"You, you! I will definitely kill you! How dare you, how dare you!"

"I know. Why did you have to go out of your way to mess with me, Lady Carmel?"

“Kill me...!”

Carmel's eyes, which had turned red and blue at the teasing voice, suddenly rolled back.

Unable to stand seeing her raise her voice any further, the butler struck her violently on the back of the neck.

She collapsed to the floor.

"Master.”

Duke Bellion nodded at the butler's call.

'I've finally gotten rid of all the troublemakers.'

She rubbed the corners of her eyes with a slightly tired expression.

It was because she had been a bit short on sleep these past few days, as she had been running around personally looking into and thinking about various things.

Roselyn saw those who were suddenly giving her meaningful glances.

"I apologize for suddenly causing a disturbance."

"Hahaha!! No, never mind. What commotion? You've done a great job. I had a bad feeling about her from the first time I saw her."

Aegis laughed heartily and waved his hand.

Roselyn smiled faintly and nodded at him as he said it was a great help.

"Yes. I'm glad to hear it was helpful."

Roselyn answered with appropriate politeness.

Aegis was originally someone who didn't hold any particular views toward Roselyn and had no prejudices, so he was an easy person to deal with.

'I just took care of one of the two reasons for attending the formal dinner... Now there is one left.'

She opened her mouth without hesitation.

"Also, I want to leave this mansion soon, but I found out that I don't seem to have any personal assets in my name."

She was so dumbfounded by the fact that the Princess had no private fortune.

Fortunately, it seemed that it wasn't embezzlement or anything like that, but that she really just didn't have any personal funds at all.

"If you don't mind, may I take a few pieces of jewelry and leave the mansion? I am thinking of about a month from now, but if a suitable place to stay is found and secured safely, I will leave sooner..."

Roselyn felt the surroundings grow cold with every word she spoke, and she lifted her gaze, which had been slightly lowered.

"...Was I speaking too fast?"

She remained silent for a moment, as if asking if she had any other problems.

"Why... are you saying you’re going to leave the house?"

What came from the silence was a voice that carried a very faint sense of bewilderment.

Roselyn had almost no attachment to her family.

During her childhood, she rarely left her bed because she was sick, and her father rarely visited her.

Roselyn's only friends were books and a maid, and she learned about the world through printed words.

The only one who would occasionally see her face and greet her was Aegis.

Because Aegis was not someone who was swayed by laws, standards decided by others, or prejudices.

Anyway, Roselyn was unusually a little flustered right now.

It was because she never imagined that, of all people, her father—someone with whom she had spoken only a handful of times in her life—would say such things.

She could not find the words she rarely had and moved her lips for a moment.

After mulling over the words for a long time, Roselyn finally realized the true meaning and quickly sorted out her thoughts.

"I have no intention of tarnishing the family's honor. I plan to leave the Empire immediately and simply intend to settle in another country with reasonably good security."

She opened her mouth as she looked at her father, Cherty Bellion, whom she was seeing properly for the first time in a long while.

As always, he had his long, wavy hair loosely tied back in a ponytail.

A face so exquisite that one can tell where Roselyn's beautiful appearance originated.

From a cold impression to slightly sharp, cat-like eyes.

His tightly closed lips are shaded by his subtly long hair.

With the addition of red eyes to his black hair, he exuded a sense of gloominess.

Roselyn slowly took in his gaze, then opened her mouth again.

Naturally, she had no intention of mentioning Bellion's name from the moment she left the mansion.

"...So, the question is, why on earth did you make such a decision?"

Roselyn paused at her father's somewhat persistent questioning, to which she would normally have simply nodded in silence.

"You must know that you aren't feeling well. Haven't I told you repeatedly? You..."

"You're saying that moving around is more of a nuisance to me? I know."

As Roselyn answered comfortably, Cherty paused.

It was because she was more used to a father saying such things now than to a father who was flustered.

Roselyn had been used to her father's cold treatment since childhood, so she was actually more comfortable with him acting this way.

"So I intend to completely sever ties with the Duchy of Bellion and leave. After all, I understand that my name is not recorded in the family register or under my father's name."

"..."

At Roselyn's words, Cherty parted his lips and then closed them tightly.

The wavering gaze clearly revealed the bewilderment, and Roselyn tried to convey in her own way that she had no intention of causing any trouble.

Even if there was no affection or attachment, it did not mean she didn't feel sorry for not being able to help during the most difficult times.

The funeral she could not attend left Roselyn with a lingering regret for quite a long time.

As Roselyn grew into adulthood, she realized that it was a great thing just to have raised a sickly child without abandoning her.

No matter how much money one has, taking responsibility for one person is not an easy task.

Even if it was close to indifference, thanks to that, she was able to receive consistent treatment until she left home.

"Don't you sometimes have regrets? Things like, 'I wish I had made a different choice back then,' or 'I wish I had developed a slightly different relationship with this person.'"

"..."

"I’ve come to think it would be a waste to kill you off as a villainess. Don’t you want to live, Roselyn?"

It is impossible to know what Garen Wilbreed was thinking.

However, Rosalyn was worn down by her long life on the run and the constant finger-pointing.

The feeling of joy had greatly diminished, and it had been a long time since even sadness had lost its emotional impact.

That said, she didn't want to build a new relationship either.

"Nevertheless, having caused trouble for the Young Duke and the Bellion family for such a long time, I intend to fulfill at least my minimum duty before leaving."

As Garen said, some relationships were accompanied by regret.

Perhaps if all these miracles had happened just a few years earlier, she might still be harboring faint hopes.

"I will cancel the engagement with His Highness the Third Prince on my own. I will handle this properly so that this side does not get caught in the crossfire, so you do not need to worry about that."

Why would Roselyn not have any emotions?

At one time, she craved, wanted, and loved affection.

Before coming to this world, Roselyn lived her life to the fullest for the past 27 years.

So she wanted to rest now.

After leaving for a place where no one knows her.

'I do have to meet that bastard Garen, too.'

As she sorted out her thoughts, Roselyn slowly closed and opened her eyes.

"I will sort this out as quickly as possible, so once the work is settled..."

"No."

Cherty interrupted Roselyn and sprang to his feet.

"I cannot allow it. Does an engagement with the Imperial Family seem that trivial to you in the first place?"

“That part I..."

"Stop talking nonsense and go inside right now, take your medicine, and get some sleep. You made a fool of me with such a ridiculous commotion, and now you're just..."

Cherty shot back coldly with agitated eyes, trailed off, and stormed out of the dining room.

"..."

She narrowed her eyebrows as she watched the door slam shut with a flustered look.

She rubbed her temples with a tired expression and let out a sigh.

It wasn't surprising, as he had always been the type of person who disapproved of whatever Roselyn did.

It was just refreshing because it had been so long since she last experienced something like that.

'How many years has it been?'

Since they had barely had any contact since childhood, it was probably the first time in over a decade.

'Well, I suppose he cared quite a bit about the Duchy of Bellion.'

Roselyn turned her head again with a strange feeling.

"In any case, I will discuss this matter with His Highness the Third Prince, coordinate the details, and then let you know again."

"Ugh. What, are you really planning to leave?"

"My father is probably doing this because he's worried I might cause trouble for the Bellion family wherever I go."

Roselyn stood up from her seat, wrapping things up appropriately.

"Then I'm tired, so I'll leave first."

"Hey, niece."

"Yes, Duke."

At Roselyn's formal words, Aegis shivered with a goosebump-inducing expression.

"...Sigh. Cut that Duke-like nonsense. You were calling me Uncle and Grandfather just a moment ago, so why are you acting so creepy?"

“That’s it...”

Seeing Aegis's disgusted face, Roselyn smiled sweetly and spoke casually.

"My future stepmother was annoying, so I wanted to get on her nerves a bit."


Previous                    Next



Comments