<Who Devoured Her Night? - Illustrations Included>
The title itself was unusual, and it immediately piqued my interest.
This is insane. Just like something out of a bleak novel, why is something like this here? What if the kids see this!
So I have to buy it and get rid of it myself. Of course. This was all part of my big picture to change the genre into a fairy tale.
I gathered the book, trying to hide my pleased feelings. Just then, I heard the sound of people running towards me.
Wow.
I quickly hid the red book among the other books.
"Sister, I've picked everything out. Buy this for me!"
"...You shouldn't whine to your older sister."
"Ruby is holding it too!"
The children, carrying armfuls of items they liked, looked at me with sparkling eyes.
I quickly hugged the stack of books to my chest and said nonchalantly.
"Let's pick just one. There are too many."
“I want it all!”
“No, just one.”
"Damn it, you have quite a few too, big sister!"
Zion pointed at the book I was holding with a sulky face.
My heart skipped a beat. Zion, who had uncannyly noticed the change in my expression, approached me and gestured for the book. Zion's perceptiveness always kicked in at times like this!
"What book is that? Show me."
"Ah. This is, well, I mean..."
"Sister, you bought something weird again, didn't you?"
"..."
Be honest. You've been acting clueless all this time, haven't you?
I looked at Zion with a sorrowful expression. However, Zion merely adjusted the items in her arms with a coy look.
Yes, I lost!
I ended up having to buy everything the children were holding.
Water, and of course, those books too.
A sudden wave of self-reproach washed over me. This wasn't the money given for this purpose. I vaguely recalled Noelier's beautiful face.
"..."
However, I felt a persistent gaze from somewhere.
As I turned my head, I met Rachel's eyes, who was staring at me with a strange look.
Surely you didn't see the book I'm holding, did you?
I smiled awkwardly and nodded.
"...Why?"
Rachel smiled broadly at my question as if nothing had happened and shook her head.
"Uh-huh. It's nothing!"
Rachel scurried over to Zion's side.
Phew... I let out a sigh of relief and followed the children.
***
When I arrived home, the first thing I did was hide a red book on the highest bookshelf.
Well, it was obvious the kids wouldn't understand it yet, but you never know.
When should I read it? An angry breath escaped my nose without me realizing it.
Just as I was getting all excited, I felt a hot gaze on the back of my head.
I turned my head away.
“Hmm?”
Rachel, whose eyes met mine, blinked her beautiful, jewel-like eyes.
As I faced that innocent face, I felt a pang of guilt, like someone caught stealing.
"Sister? What's wrong?"
Rachel looked up at me and tilted her head.
“Oh. It’s nothing!”
I shook my head vigorously and stepped back.
At first glance, it seemed as though curiosity flickered in those red eyes, but since I couldn't even reach up there anyway, it would be fine.
I hummed a tune while focusing on the food the children were going to eat.
***
Even after dawn, the snow continued to fall. At the sound of rhythmic breathing, Rachel slowly opened her eyes.
The moonlight seeping through the window reflected in the red eyes.
"..."
Rachel quietly sat up. Zion and Eve were sound asleep, embracing each other.
Rachel carefully slipped out of bed, trying to make as little noise as possible.
The book Eve had bought was sitting on top of that. Since even Eve had barely managed to put it there, the only person who could probably take it out and do anything with it was her tall older brother.
Rachel glanced at the wolf siblings. They showed no signs of waking up.
Rachel slowly spread her hands.
Grumbling.
A small flame bloomed in her hand.
The flame, growing larger and larger, transformed into a small bird and landed on Rachel's hand. It was a Phoenix, which only red-eyed dragons could summon.
'Hi.'
As she mouthed a greeting, the phoenix pecked at Rachel's palm as if to say hello.
'I have a favor to ask.'
Rachel gestured toward the book placed on top. The clever phoenix understood her words and began to flap its wings. Small flames flickered, following its movements.
The phoenix flew lightly and easily snatched up the books that had been placed on it.
Rachel lightly took the stack of books. The Phoenix kept tilting its head as if asking for praise.
'Good job.'
As she tickled the nape of its neck, the firebird fluttered as if pleased. Then, the firebird took flight lightly and landed softly on Rachel's shoulder.
Rachel glanced at the wolf siblings again and cautiously checked the book.
Of the four books in her hand, three stood out.
<Surviving as a Prisoner>
<Humans and Beastmen: Similarities and Differences>
<Complete Conquest of the Human World>
'...!'
Rachel opened her eyes wide. Then, with a look of great shock, she turned to look at Eve, who was sleeping soundly.
'So this is what it meant to move?'
Her eyes welled up, and her nose tingled. As her emotions wavered, magical power began to surge wildly.
A small flame flickered from Rachel's body.
The frightened phoenix flew up with a loud snap!
'How could you leave me behind!'
No way! You're leaving my brother and me behind!
Rachel quickly changed her mind and bit her lip tightly.
'...As I promised'
Saying there would be no more nightmares.
Rachel pouted, her throat stinging with hurt feelings.
'No. Let's hold back for now. This isn't the time for this.'
Rachel, sniffling softly, shook her head vigorously.
As she repeated her breathing a couple of times to maintain her normal emotions, the flame died down.
The relieved phoenix landed back on Rachel's shoulder.
They're going to the human world. We just have to stop them somehow. After all, it was strictly illegal for a beastman to enter the human world.
'...But what is this?'
Rachel took in another book.
<Who Devoured Her Night? - Illustrations Included>
'This has nothing to do with humans?'
As if to seal a forbidden book, there was a red X on the front cover.
Rachel looked back at the phoenix perched on her shoulder. The phoenix tilted its head as if it didn't know either.
Rachel carefully opened the book.
"...!"
Oh no!
Rachel, in shock, covered her mouth.
...There was no time to be doing this.
Rachel left the cabin with hurried but cautious steps. Snow was still pouring down from the sky.
Rachel showed the scene from the book to the Phoenix. The Phoenix took in the scene and nodded as if to say it understood.
“Please.”
Reading the determination in the red eyes, the Phoenix soared with all its might. The bird vanished along with the fading flame.
***
Noelier furrowed his brows deeply at the stifling heat.
Since meeting Eve, the heat in his body was getting even more intense.
They were clamoring for cold air, to the point where daily life was difficult.
However, as the leader, he could not afford to be away from his post for a long time.
Noelier let out a sigh and looked around at the books piled high on the desk.
Now that work was done, it was time to study.
Noelier picked up the book placed on top.
< A book that makes you emotional and brings tears to your eyes just by looking at it >
It was a rare book that he barely managed to find in a crumbling bookstore after pestering the servants.
Noelier had finished reading the book twice, but he opened it again.
When he was reading it, his heart definitely warmed, his eyes welled up, and he felt like sentences like that really resonated with him.
Strangely, no tears came out in the end.
Noelier touched the corners of his eyes with a somber expression.
I must cry. I must cry...! He kept casting a spell on himself.
But no tears came out.
‘Why on earth!’
He slammed the desk down. Then the desk cracked with a pop.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment