No one was visible near the cliff.
"..."
In front of a sheer cliff, Fenrir sat perched on a dust-covered rock and quietly gazed down at the bottom, where even the ground was barely visible. Then, he slowly began to sort out his thoughts.
Judging by the fact that no one else was following along, it seemed that the video stone and the letter had been safely delivered to Dietrich.
Dietrich would not leave Ivan alone.
It would not be an exaggeration to say that the video stone was sent with that purpose in mind from the start.
"It would be easier if useless humans just killed each other."
However, since Ivan is a man capable of thinking, he would not dare defy the Emperor. After all, it is obvious that no matter how skilled an Archmage he is, if he were to do exactly what was done to Fenrir, he would not escape the death penalty.
Besides, Siegfried was still there. At most, he would be joined by Siegfried in about two days. In the Forbidden Forest.
Ivan was right about what he had told Dietrich.
Although the frequency of monster appearances had decreased significantly, the Forbidden Forest was still a stronghold for monsters.
Fenrir liked it.
Just like with Noah DeVern, there won't be any need to go to the trouble of acquiring a stuffed griffin.
"It’s not strange at all to be dying off in a monster lair."
Yeah, not one.
Fenrir chuckled.
Aside from the plan to eliminate Siegfried, this expedition into the Forbidden Forest was not particularly bad for Fenrir.
"For whatever reason, anyone who enters the Forbidden Forest must have their name recorded in the register. Whether found unconscious or, at the very least, as a corpse. But I saw Lady Vanessa on that list. Around the time she became the Royal Consort."
He already knew what Ivan had told Presepe.
Ever since Presepe came to the mansion, Fenrir had made preparations—or rather, not really preparations—in advance in every place except for her room.
After he left, he asked Presepe what had happened, but only to hear what kind of answer she would give.
However, Presepe did not tell the whole story honestly. She merely told him after slightly editing the conversation, claiming that Ivan had said he would help her.
Fenrir easily understood Presepe's reasoning. She likely thought that if she found out there might be monster blood mixed in her, it wouldn't do her any good.
To be honest, Fenrir didn't believe all of Ivan's preposterous words.
However, he thought it was understandable that Presepe was interested in Vanessa.
He could help with anything if it meant satisfying her curiosity.
No, even if you ask for something humble, is there anything I cannot do for you?
...It was a thought that Presepe could have because she had no idea that going to the forbidden forest to properly verify her bloodline was a stepping stone to finding the real male protagonist.
Anyway, Fenrir gathered his thoughts while gazing at the bottom of the sheer cliff, then slowly turned his head.
Then, he pulled his lips away.
“Vidar.”
Fenrir's heavy voice settled upon the cliff where nothing but silence lay.
And not long after, a familiar figure appeared in front of him.
It was Vidar.
"You call me like a dog."
Vidar grimaced slightly and muttered, but eventually snickered and approached Fenrir.
"Because I know you're chasing me around like a dog."
“That’s ridiculous.”
But that's not wrong. Vidar laughed.
"Otherwise, how could I have been safe when Ivan attacked me with magic?"
"To be clear, you knew I was chasing you nearby, and you were just being cheeky, weren't you?"
“It’s similar.”
This time, Fenrir smirked.
The moment Ivan poured out his magical power to attack Fenrir, the black power that enveloped his body was not Fenrir's.
...It was purely Vidar's power.
As he gazed at Vidar, who was standing close in front of him, the smile on Fenrir's face slowly faded.
Vidar's face, looking down at him, was reflected in the red eyes that gleamed ominously in the moonlight.
But it's strange.
To be able to absorb an attack from a great sorcerer, one that appears perhaps once in a hundred years, in that way......
Is it really that easy?
Fenrir thought to himself.
"The Forbidden Forest is the home and stronghold of all monsters, so dealing with this troublesome fellow must have been easy now."
Vidar continued speaking slowly.
"That's right, the home of all monsters."
"..."
"Then, would it be your hometown too?"
Fenrir still remembered it clearly.
That someday.
Vidar, who had visited the mansion since the day they first met. The conversation he shared with him.
"What are you?"
Then, Fenrir asked once again.
“Yeah, probably.”
"I am just a mere monster."
"I am a monster, too."
"Very insignificant."
... Insignificant?
Fenrir's red eyes, filled with Vidar, shone quietly.
"It looks like you have something you want to ask me."
"Well, I'm not sure."
Fenrir slowly smacked his lips.
"Even if I ask, I wonder if you will answer honestly."
"..."
"There is something I want to ask, but I'm not sure about it."
"Just because of that doesn't mean I haven't been of any help to you so far, does it?"
"Don't be so narrow-minded," Vidar muttered.
"And if you ask me something now, I could answer you with the truth, with all my heart. Actually, that isn't that difficult for me. It's up to you whether you believe it, though."
"Yes?"
"So tell me. What are you curious about?"
"There are three. At least for today."
Fenrir continued speaking slowly.
“First things first.”
Vidar thought Fenrir's attitude was a bit ridiculous, wondering just what great thing he was trying to ask, but he looked at him without showing it.
"They say horses can recognize other horses, even if they are only half-breeds."
"However?"
"Does monster blood flow in Presepe?"
However, at Fenrir's words that immediately followed, Vidar's blue eyes, resembling the sea, wavered briefly.
There was no way Fenrir would have failed to notice that subtle movement. He stared intently at the silent Vidar, and Vidar slowly parted his lips.
"I'd like you to tell me first if Presepe knows this."
"Why?"
"..."
"Does the answer change depending on whether Presepe is aware of it or not?"
Vidar did not answer.
"I'm not entirely sure yet, but you'll find out soon. And I'm sorry to say, but judging by your attitude just now, I think I already heard the answer."
It was the first time Vidar's true feelings had been so clearly visible in that way.
So he had an even stronger intuition.
A hunch that Vidar knows something.
"What do you know? And why are you trying to hide it from Presepe?"
However, as always, Vidar quickly changed his attitude.
"Presepe is indeed a half-monster. Her father was a monster, and he died a long time ago. To humans."
It was an inscrutable attitude that felt ordinary yet somehow brazen.
"Even if I realize that now, I don't think anything will change."
"Second."
"..."
"Why did you tell me all the information, and why are you helping me?"
"Didn't you answer that back then, too?"
Vidar furrowed his brow slightly.
"I just want everyone to fall into chaos. Especially the Imperial House of Ateloia."
"Because they tirelessly wreak havoc on the Forbidden Forest, your home and foundation, every single time?"
"Right, and you wanted to obtain Presepe, didn't you? By overthrowing Siegfried and the Knights, overthrowing the Emperor, and killing the nobles of Ateloia. Is there anyone more suitable than you to achieve my goal?"
Fenrir did not respond to Vidar's words.
Instead, he slowly stood up.
Then, he approached Vidar, who was standing in front of the cliff, and...
"This is the last question, Vidar,"
Looking into his blue eyes, he asked softly.
"Are you still just a mere monster?"
Vidar stared intently at Fenrir's face, which had come right up to his nose.
Then, just like before, without changing his expression at all, he answered in a flat voice.
"Yes."
"..."
"A mere insignificant monster."
And it was that very moment.
The reason Fenrir quickly reached out and slammed Vidar down the sheer cliff without a moment's hesitation was.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment