POTC - Chapter 48




Dietrich rose from the throne and slowly stepped forward to stand before everyone.

His complexion was still dull and even pale, but his characteristic dignity remained intact.

Yeah, that’s just the kind of person you were—capable of not showing a single hint on the outside, no matter how sick you were or how much you were rotting away inside.

Presepe thought to herself as he looked at Dietrich.

"999 years."

Dietrich parted his dry lips.

"As all citizens of the Empire would surely know, it has been 999 years since the Holy Empire of Ateloia was established on this land."

Since the Founding Day event is a fixed in-game event like the celebration or the ice prison, she had already experienced it over several hundred times.

However, Presepe, who was solely focused on conquering the characters, had never once properly listened to what Dietrich had to say.

"Since its founding, Ateloia has always defended its position through fierce battles rather than smooth sailing. Sometimes against the same humans, and sometimes against completely different monsters."

...Perhaps there is a clue hidden in Dietrich’s words as well.

For the first time since possessing the game, Presepe began to listen attentively to Dietrich's speech.

"This year was no different. We risked our lives and fought fiercely, and in the end, we safely defended the legitimate lineage and preserved the pride of the Empire."

So, in the end, it's your story.

Although he was the First Prince, Dietrich was not destined to become Emperor. This was because the former Emperor had his heart set on another Prince, not Dietrich.

Regardless of the process, since he, as the legitimate eldest son, had pushed him aside and seized the throne, it seemed like he was talking about that.

'Well, from Dietrich's perspective, it wouldn't hurt to settle this matter clearly at least once...'

"However, those who covet the bountiful Ateloia still remain, and this is likely not a story limited to humans alone."

Even originally...

Did you say something like that?

Presepe tilted her head slightly.

"Nevertheless, we have an excellent and valiant Order of Knights, a holy church that will always spare no protection and defense, and a magic tower that will step forward before anyone else in the event of a crisis."

...Magic Tower?

Fenrir's face, as he stared at Dietrich, became slightly subtle.

The Emperors of Ateloia usually relied on the Church. Naturally, most of them were not favorable toward the Magic Tower or Archmages.

Dietrich was no different. To be precise, it would be more accurate to say that he showed no interest in either the church or the Magic Tower...

She understood the praise for the Knights and the Church, but she felt somewhat uneasy about the sudden and deliberate insertion of the Magic Tower into that sentence.

"The same applies to all citizens of the Empire of Ateloia. I have no doubt that anyone who lives on the land of Ateloia, regardless of their status or rank, will surely obey the Emperor's command and fight valiantly. If anyone fails to obey the Emperor's orders even when the Empire is in crisis, they cannot be called a citizen of Ateloia and will face punishment befitting their actions."

Presepe's eyes, as she stared at Dietrich, were filled with bewilderment.

Dietrich...

What do you want to talk about?

Are you trying to threaten someone?

That you must listen to me.

"I swear by my life to all of you gathered here. Ateloia will prosper far more brilliantly than it does now, and it will become an empire that never fades away. I sincerely believe that you will follow my will and spare no effort, even your lives, to protect the empire. Therefore, I will be with you forever, and you, too, must be with me."

Dietrich, who had paused for a moment, suddenly turned his gaze to Presepe, who was standing behind Fenrir and peeking her head out to look at him.

"...Even if the process is arduous and difficult, you must."

Presepe flinched at Dietrich's gaze that reached her.

'Even though I haven't been listening carefully all this time... I don't think he ever said anything like that...'

For some reason, she felt uneasy. It felt like the long words Dietrich had just spat out in front of everyone weren't just something he wanted to tell the citizens of the Empire.

'No way...'

I guess it's my mood.

While Presepe was thinking this, Dietrich, who had already finished his speech, had returned to his seat.

Now that the Emperor's speech was over, the party was about to begin. The nobles would gather in their respective clan factions to show off their connections. Presepe had no particular interest in this.

From the start, Presepe had only one interest.

Whether the real male protagonist attends the founding ceremony.

"..."

Presepe quickly scanned her surroundings with a hurried look.

Even the characters affected by the bug still have affection windows. They have had them since their appearance. Therefore, it is highly likely that the real male protagonist also has an affection window, even if he has not revealed his identity.

However, with the game collapsing into a complete mess, she couldn't be certain of that either. So, Presepe cautiously scrutinized the people. She selected those who were as handsome and eye-catching as possible.

"Now, what do you want to do..."

And just then, Fenrir, who had turned to look at Presepe, narrowed his eyes slightly.

"Who are you looking for?"

"Yes?"

"Speak to me. Anything, feel free to." 

But was there anyone Presepe... looking for? 

Was there someone she was in contact with separately, besides those guys? 

Fenrir's eyebrows furrowed slightly.

"..."

Unable to find a suitable answer, Presepe wore a slightly perplexed expression. 

...I don't even know who it is, so how can I say who it is?...

And the person who saved Presepe from that crisis—or rather, that non-crisis—was someone she hadn't expected at all. 

"It has been a long time, Lady Presepe."

It was Dietrich's bodyguard.

Since Dietrich always stuck it around like a clingy little thing, Presepe knew it all too well.

"How have you been?"

Presepe stared at him without answering, and Fenrir slightly blocked Presepe's path with his characteristic blank expression.

"Good evening. I understood that Grand Duke Fenrir does not usually attend gatherings like this, so I am simply delighted to meet you..."

“Business.”

Fenrir looked like someone who had absolutely no intention of listening to the bodyguard's words.

"What do you want?"

As if even this were a familiar occurrence, the bodyguard wore an indifferent expression, lowered his voice slightly, and parted his lips.

"His Majesty has summoned Lady Presepe."

Presepe's gaze reflexively turned toward Dietrich's seat up ahead.

However, his figure was not visible.

"His Majesty said he wanted to talk for a moment. It seems he was very worried. Besides, he wasn't feeling well himself."

Well, he did look gaunt...

"His Majesty is already waiting. I will guide you."

Hmm. Why?

"I apologize to Your Majesty, but Lady Presepe is also not feeling well."

Me?

Suddenly?

"Therefore, I will return straight to the mansion."

"Hah. But if that is the case, wouldn't it be better to get examined by an Imperial Palace doctor..."

"Well, I don't know."

Fenrir murmured in an extremely cold voice.

"Skilled doctors are everywhere, even outside the Imperial Palace."

It wasn't that Presepe couldn't understand Fenrir's behavior.

He must have been well aware of how Dietrich treats me... so he is probably being considerate. Even though he himself is one of Dietrich's men, just like the bodyguard in front of him.

"..."

The guard looked perplexed and glanced around. Then, lowering his voice even more than before, he continued speaking.

"His Majesty has been confined to his sickbed for several days. Not a single day has passed since Lady Presepe left the Imperial Palace."

Presepe did not give any answer.

She was just lost in thought for a moment.

"His condition was worse than what was publicly known. The doctor said it was due to a severe shock, but there was nothing effective they could do."

Come to think of it, isn't Dietrich actually the one who can give her information?

Dietrich is the only person who appeared from the very beginning of the tutorial.

Besides, unlike before, shr can now have conversations freely.

Of course, the problem is how that person will react...

"Because now, Lady Presepe, you are not alone."

What suddenly crossed her mind was what Fenrir had told me on the day of the festival.

He was still keeping his word, as if to show everyone. He even dared to fabricate a lie in response to the Emperor's request to meet Presepe.

"It has been a long time since His Majesty has seen Lady Presepe, so he will surely be pleased."

It was truly a strange thing. She didn't even know what ulterior motive Dietrich had, yet she felt relieved simply by the fact that Fenrir was with her at the Imperial Palace.

"So, Lady Presepe..."

"Great."

At that moment, Fenrir froze.

"I would like to see His Majesty."

It was not solely because of Presepe's answer.

It was because of the small hand that carefully held his finger tightly.

It was as if it were speaking. Saying that I was okay.

"Then I will escort you right away."

The escort knight seemed to think that Presepe's mind might change, so he led her somewhat hurriedly.

Presepe nodded and looked back at Fenrir.

"I'll be right back. Probably."

Then, speaking to him in a low, whispering voice.

"If you don't come quickly, I will come to pick you up myself."

"I know."

Presepe answered with a big smile.

"I can go because I know the Grand Duke will do that for me."

Then I'll go and come back.

Fenrir quietly watched the retreating figure of Presepe, who followed the escort knight after leaving a brief remark. 

"Do you happen to know something?"

And...

"I'm telling you, I had a really hard time thanks to the Grand Duke."

He glared at Ivan, who had approached him before he knew it, as if he wanted to kill him.


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments