KTBYM - Chapter 11




'Did he find out I know his identity?'

In that case, my future was obvious. After all, even if I were Eon, I would eliminate the opponent who discovered my identity first.

'Since I have no way of knowing how far he can read the thoughts of his subordinate...'

Fighting an enemy whose abilities are not precisely known is difficult. However, I could not afford to be lost in thought right now, as Eon was observing my reaction.

I put on the most composed expression possible toward Eon, who was waiting for an answer. I hoped he would confuse my thoughts with those of the other servants, or think he had misheard.

"To think you devoured me. That's a brilliant analogy."

I retorted to his words while pretending to be nonchalant.

"That's right, I'm afraid of the Tower Master. You know everything about me, don't you? I can't help feeling completely stripped bare."

At the same time, I tried to read Eon's expression. However, looking down at me languidly, he looked like nothing more than a well-fed lion. Just as I gave up trying to find a clue on his face, Eon opened his mouth.

"Fear... Interestingly, I can make Miss Selinia afraid."

It was closer to muttering than speaking to me.

'Interesting? That’s not something a predator should say.'

It was as natural for him to scare me as it is for the night to come.

"I was not a frightening presence to Sally at all."

I wondered what he was going to say, but he was still talking about Sally.

"What Sally thought of the Tower Master has nothing to do with me. Because I am not that person."

Moreover, those Sallies must have also felt like Eon was the Grim Reaper at the last moment.

"Alright. I’ll take back calling you Sally, so why don’t you relax a bit? Your face looks like it’s made of wax."

I was speechless at the answer, which sounded as if he were truly thinking of me. Perhaps thinking that I hadn't understood, Eon added an explanation.

"It means Miss Selinia's face is too pale."

"My face is naturally pale. It’s just that I stay in a studio where there is no sunlight, so what can I do?"

This time, Eon burst into laughter. It wasn't a slight sneer on the corner of his mouth, but a reaction that it was genuinely funny.

"Next time, I should go for a walk with Miss Selinia. Being too pale isn't good for your health, after all."

It was just disgusting to hear him say such things while looking at my crutches.

Eon left the lab after completely ruining the person's mood. It was a visit for which the reason for coming was completely unknown.

"It seems the Tower Master missed you."

I stared blankly at Sally, who interpreted things completely differently from me. Her eyes were clear and sharp. There was no sign of stiffness or awkwardness. She was clearly different from the maids.

'But why...'

She came to mind, smiling sweetly and saying she had forgotten her original name. Eon acted as if he had given a name to a pet. No. To put it nicely, it was a pet. There was no way Sally wouldn't have noticed that.

"That makes me want to ask you a lot of questions."

It seemed I had been staring at her too intently. Since Sally had brought it up first, I decided to ask her straight through with the adoption.

"Is that really true? The name Sally."

"That's right. It's just as I heard earlier."

Sally answered nonchalantly. Until just moments ago, I had thought I had met an ordinary person, different from the maids. But now, I didn't know how to view her.

"But is that really that important?"

She cleared the teacups from the table and continued speaking as if it were no big deal.

"The important thing is that I can stay as a researcher in this magic tower. I could change my name ten times over. It doesn't matter if it's the name of a former lover or a dead pet."

It was a remark that made one wonder if he had changed his name in exchange for entering the magic tower.

"Well, that might not apply to you since you're receiving the Tower Master's attention. But I really wanted to join the Tower."

I had something I wanted to correct, but for now, I decided to listen to Sally.

"Do you know the extent of the Tower Master's abilities?"

"The most outstanding wizard in the Empire?"

That simple descriptor of 'the best in the empire' is missing the explanation that it is beyond the reach of ordinary wizards.

That was truly a tragic thing. It meant that the murderer holding my leash was more capable than expected.

"I want to learn as much as possible from the Tower Master here. For that, nothing else matters."

Yes, in a way, this was also a workplace, and a place where she was supposed to gain something. Sally was, in a sense, an ambitious and enterprising employee. It was an ambition she could certainly have had, provided she didn't know that Eon was a murderer.

But, but even if she entered the Magic Tower, does she not feel at all that this place is strange?

"Have you ever felt that the Magic Tower... is somehow strange?"

"Do you mean there are only women with brown hair and green eyes? Or is it the maids' rigid attitude?"

I couldn't help but be surprised because the correct answer came out of Sally's mouth in an instant. She wasn't bound by a subordination contract like me, nor was she unaware of what was strange. Yet, she was here solely for her own goal.

"There are many picky wizards. Some have tastes different from the rest of the world. I don't think this is anything."

Sally adjusted her glasses and looked at me. She had a look on her face that seemed to say she didn't understand why I was worrying about such trivial things.

"Wouldn't it be better for you to devote yourself to research as soon as possible rather than doing that? To think the Tower Master is showing such interest in such a talented individual... I, too, look forward to seeing your skills."

The eyes behind the glasses were like those of an enterprising and ambitious colleague I had seen in my previous life.

'Sally... she's really picked the wrong genre.'

If this novel had been a fantasy, Sally would have been a good rival or colleague.

"Yes, let's both do our best."

I nodded with an awkward smile. At the same time, the small hope I had harbored in my heart crumbled. Even when I checked her wrist, I thought we could help each other escape from here, but...

'Even if I reveal the true identities of Ye-on and the maids, they will probably dismiss it as my delusion.'

No, perhaps Sally might say that she wouldn't care if Eon were a murderer as long as she could learn the essence of alchemy.

***

Five days passed. The maids still moved like robots, and the unsettling dreams remained the same.

For now, I didn't pay attention to such things. I focused solely on treatment while taking healing potions. I ate all my meals in my room and avoided running into Eon, fearing that stress might interfere with my recovery.

I had even hoped that Rudis might come to the Magic Tower to look for me. Naturally, that didn't happen. It was unreasonable to expect the luck of a male protagonist falling in love at first sight and coming to find me when I wasn't even the main character.

'As expected, I have no choice but to find someone in here to help me.'

Someone was needed who could reveal the true nature of the Magic Tower to Rudis or Karina without having signed a subordination contract with Eon. The only person who came to mind was Tara, whose face I had seen during the last meal.

I wondered if that child, unlike Sally, would want to run away from here. Judging by this, the first thing I did after I was able to walk properly was go to the laundry room.

Hot steam was seeping out the door. There was the friction sound of wood and cloth colliding, and the rattling sound of a washboard spinning.

The laundry room, devoid of modern machinery, was like a factory in itself. Maidens were busily moving their hands and feet in between. It was a commotion that I liked. It seemed that even if I were to sneak in, no one would notice.

It was just as I was about to step into the laundry room thinking that.

"Oh my, young lady, what brings you all the way here?"

Before I knew it, Marilyn was standing in front of me. I shrugged my shoulders as if it were no big deal and greeted her.

"Hi, Marilyn. I was thinking of meeting someone for a moment."

“For whom?”

“Get in.”

"Tara? Who was Tara again?"

Marilyn tilted her head from side to side and rolled her eyes. It was obvious she was feigning indifference.

"Do you happen to need another maid? If so, please speak to Karen."

"That's not it..."

"Oh my, are you planning to replace Karen with another girl because you don't like her?"

"No..."

"Then do you need more maids?"

“No, no!”

I raised my voice and firmly cut her off. At this rate, I would get drawn into Marilyn's pace and end up being kicked out right away.

"I don't need someone to give orders; I just want to talk."

"That is quite a strange thing. To think the young lady is talking to a maid... the maids here are not in a position to converse with you."

"I'll decide that."

Just then, Tara came into my sight. In my haste, I took a step forward, but Marilyn blocked my way.

"I'm sorry, but everyone is busy right now. If you have anything to discuss, please pass it on through Karen."

Marilyn acted as if she were a knight guarding a castle from an intruder. I couldn't beat her in strength, and even if I forced myself to meet Tara, I couldn't have a proper conversation with her.

In the end, I had to use a different method.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments