Episode 90. Bargaining
The Emperor himself sent a letter. It was to settle the matter regarding the hot spring share. It was not an official audience. As Serena received the letter, she thought to herself. How much is he plotting to rip her off? Oh my, this old man.
The Emperor was already seated in his office. He was drinking tea on the sofa by the window. When Serena entered and bowed respectfully, the Emperor waved his hand.
"Fine, what is there between us? Sit down."
What do you mean 'between us'! You are a guy who would be much younger than me if I were my actual age... Should I strip away the ranks and just beat you up on age?! Serena sat down opposite him. The Emperor set down his teacup and said.
"I told you last time that I would decide the ratio of the income tribute"
"You did."
"I've thought about it."
The Emperor crossed his arms and said,
"Seven to three. I'll take seven, and Valois will take three."
'Is he spouting nonsense because he skipped breakfast this morning?'
Serena looked at the Emperor. She looked at him briefly.
"Your Majesty, the hot spring site is located within the Valois estate "
"I know."
"The Valois family provided the funds for the construction as well."
"I know that, too."
"And the laborers' wages, too"
"I know. But that is only possible if I blow a hand. Even so, it is money coming from my wife's source."
Serena said, raising her teacup.
"Let's split it 50-50."
The Emperor looked at Serena.
"50-50?"
"50-50."
"You asked for half at first, and now it's half again?"
"This is a reasonable negotiation."
The Emperor looked at Serena for a moment and said.
"60-40."
"50-50"
"Princess."
"Your Majesty."
The Emperor narrowed his eyes and said.
"You know I am the Lord."
"I know, Your Majesty."
"Then why?"
"Since you are the Lord, wouldn't the Valois family need to prosper so that we pay more taxes?"
The Emperor looked at Serena. Serena had a serious expression. The Emperor let out a smirk.
"How shameless."
"It is a negotiation, Your Majesty."
"A 50-50 split won't do. Neither will a 60-40 split."
"Then."
The Emperor said after a moment of thought.
"We will make it 50-50, but the Imperial Family will take all the revenue for the first three years after the hot spring is completed."
Serena set down her teacup.
"The first three years?"
"Yes."
"Are we digging the ground to do business? Let's make it one year."
"Yes, we are doing business with water dug up from the ground. Three years."
"One year."
"Three years."
"Your Majesty."
"Princess."
The two looked at each other for a moment. Serena lowered her eyes first.
"We will give you all the hot spring admission revenue for a year and a half. In return, Valois will take all the revenue from the auxiliary facilities."
The Emperor thought for a moment.
"What kind of auxiliary facilities are there?"
"Accommodation, food and beverage, souvenir shops, etc. We plan to operate them separately."
The Emperor looked up at the ceiling once, then looked at Serena.
"...I see."
Serena cheered inwardly. This money ghost... This is enough. The Emperor took a sip of tea and said.
"Never mind. Anyway."
Serena looked at the Emperor.
"Did you hear from Duke Claude about the inspection authority?"
"I did, Your Majesty."
"And that the Crown Prince said he would step forward?"
Serena nodded.
"Didn't His Royal Highness the Crown Prince say he would serve as the Inspector?"
The Emperor said, setting down his teacup.
"I haven't announced it yet, though."
He paused briefly.
"I have decided to appoint Leon Ashford to that position."
Hearing this, Serena thought to herself.
Has this old man lost his mind? What is he trying to do? If he appoints Leon right in front of the Crown Prince's face, the Crown Prince will just...
That was what she intended to say outwardly.
"His Royal Highness the Crown Prince will be disappointed, even if he doesn't show it outwardly."
But what came out was. Serena covered her mouth. The Emperor looked at Serena. Serena looked at the Emperor. The Emperor stared at Serena with wide eyes. I'm doomed. But the Emperor burst out laughing.
"Hahaha!"
The office echoed loudly. The Emperor laughed, clutching his stomach. A chill ran down Serena's spine. Her face flushed. Serena knelt right before the Emperor. It was a situation where she had nothing to say, even if she had ten mouths.
"To think a Princess would chew up His Majesty like this right to his face!"
"Your, Your Majesty. That wasn't my true intention just now..."
"Not your true intention?"
The Emperor looked at Serena while wiping away his tears.
"Then what is your true intention?"
"My thoughts and words came out the opposite."
The Emperor laughed again. Serena wanted to cover her face with both hands. In her eighty years of life, she had never made such a slip of the tongue so openly in front of anyone. And to think the first person was the Emperor. I must be the one who has lost my mind. I must be completely insane.
The Emperor gestured for Serena to stand up. Wiping his laughter away, the Emperor said.
"Consider yourself lucky that we are at least here alone. I know."
"If the chief attendant had been by your side, he might have drawn his sword right then and there."
Serena lowered her head.
"Watch your words and actions from now on, Princess."
"I will keep that in mind, Your Majesty."
The Emperor said, raising his teacup again.
"So. If what you just said wasn't your true feelings, what is it that you really want to say?"
Serena raised her head. The Emperor was looking at Serena. His smile had worn off his face. He was seriously asking for Serena's opinion regarding this appointment.
"His Royal Highness the Crown Prince will be disappointed, even if he doesn't show it outwardly. He said he would step forward himself, but if Prince Leon is appointed..."
"I know."
"If you are appointing Prince Leon despite that..."
The Emperor looked at Serena. Serena asked cautiously.
"Are you testing His Royal Highness the Crown Prince, Your Majesty? Or are you testing the Ashford family?"
The Emperor did not answer. That silence was the answer. Serena thought to herself. Was he testing Prince Leon? Was he testing the Crown Prince? Or was it both? Oh dear, I simply cannot read this old man's mind.
Just then, a servant outside the door spoke quietly.
"Your Majesty, Prince Leon Ashford requests an audience."
The Emperor said.
"Let him in."
The door opened, and Leon entered. He paused briefly upon seeing Serena. It was unexpected. Serena looked at Leon as well. Even as Leon bowed to the Emperor, his eyes drifted toward Serena once more.
'Why does his expression look like that?'
Leon noticed that something was off about Serena's face. Her ears were slightly flushed. It was a state rarely seen in the usual Serena. The Emperor gestured for Leon to sit beside Serena. Leon sat down next to her. The Emperor looked back and forth between the two and said.
"You have come at just the right time. Because I had something to say."
Leon looked at the Emperor.
"Golden Lion Merchant Guild Inspection."
"You handle it."
Leon was silent for a moment.
"Didn't His Royal Highness the Crown Prince say he would step forward himself?"
"I am leaving it to you."
Leon looked at the Emperor. His gaze was one of trying to read the Emperor's intentions. The Emperor remained composed.
"Can you do it?"
"I will."
The Emperor nodded and spoke.
"And."
The Emperor looked at Serena.
"The Princess of Valois just insulted me."
Leon looked at Serena. Serena looked at the Emperor. This old man, this time, she thought it only to herself. Serena, her face clearly showing her bewilderment, looked at Leon.
"It's not that. Your Majesty, I have committed a grave sin."
Leon looked at Serena. Serena turned her gaze toward the Emperor. The Emperor was holding his teacup with a satisfied expression. That old man is enjoying himself right now, oh dear.
It was about an hour later when they left the palace. Leon walked beside Serena and said.
"Earlier."
Serena looked at Leon.
"Your expression in His Majesty's study."
"My expression?"
"Your ears were red. What insult did you commit against His Majesty?"
Serena looked straight ahead.
"I made a slip of the tongue."
"In front of His Majesty?"
"Yes."
Leon was silent for a moment.
"To what extent?"
"A lot."
As he heard that answer, Leon suppressed the corners of his mouth threatening to curl up. Serena saw it. She saw it and pretended not to notice. Perhaps worried about his appointment as Inspector, Leon asked Serena.
"Do you think His Royal Highness the Crown Prince will accept this willingly?"
"I don't know. It seems like a test from His Majesty."
"What kind of test?"
"Perhaps he wants to see how His Royal Highness the Crown Prince moves in this situation. Or maybe he is testing the Young Master."
Leon looked at Serena.
"It could be both."
"What do you think, Princess? Which one do you think it is?"
Serena thought for a moment.
"I don't know. Not yet."
"If 'I don't know' is coming out of the Princess's mouth right now, it really is unclear. Only His Majesty the Emperor would know the answer."
Serena nodded in response.
"I think so too."
[Lucy's Secret Shock Journal Chapter 90]
Today, the Princess went to the Imperial Palace to negotiate the hot spring share with His Majesty.
When she returned, she kept banging her head against the wall.
Please calm down, Princess.
When I asked what had happened, she said that only death remained.
Princess, we came together, but let's go our separate ways...
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment