Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

Grandma Princess - Chapter 85




Episode 85. Don't get the wrong idea. Don't let your guard down.

"Yes. In return, once the hot springs are completed, I will regularly pay a portion of the revenue as a share. I have already given you a significant discount. From Your Majesty's perspective, you are contributing only a small amount for construction costs while steadily taking home the hot spring income, so it is not a losing proposition." 

The Emperor said, looking at Serena. 

"Then what are you going to do about the Duke of Kreuz's people? You have to get rid of them so that other contractors can take over. Isn't it easier said than done to get rid of the Empress's people?" 

Serena said. 

"First, we must finish the construction before sending them out. If we try to expel them right now, it will attract the Empress's attention, and we will have no justification. Once the construction is complete, we can create a justification and send them out then. In the meantime, the Duke of Kreuz's people will benefit a bit while staying there, but we would rather not let that drag on any longer. Just think how much they are benefiting from being there right now." 

The Emperor looked at Serena, then at Claude. Claude was drinking tea. He had simply watched from the side as his daughter negotiated in front of His Majesty the Emperor. He wore an expression that showed he could not intervene, nor did he need to. The Emperor looked at Serena again and said.

"You really are extracting every last penny from me." 

Serena replied.

"It isn't a losing proposition for Your Majesty, either. You secure a share of the construction costs and the hot spring revenue, while also gaining a justification to drive out the Empress's associates. You are doing three things at once." 

Hearing this, the Emperor looked at Serena for a moment and then said.

"Do you perhaps have any intention of working at the Imperial Household, Princess?" 

Serena looked at the Emperor.

"Why would I bother with such a tiring task?" 

"To think such a sharp talent has to go to waste like this. It is simply a waste to keep you at the Duchy of Valois." 

Serena said.

"I am not letting you go to waste; you are resting. Besides, you are doing this much work even while at the Duchy of Valois." 

"If you are doing things like this while resting, that is work." 

Serena said with a nonchalant expression. 

"Is this the same as that? There is no way." 

Hearing this, the Emperor chuckled again. He laughed even louder than before. The reception room was filled with laughter. Claude quietly sipped his tea while listening to the Emperor's laughter. He felt he should scold his daughter for saying 'no way' in front of the Emperor, but seeing the Emperor laughing, he looked helpless. He could see the tips of his ears starting to turn red. The Emperor stopped smiling and said.

"Understood. The hot spring share matter will be included. Let me know separately how much you need to contribute for the construction costs. However, there is a condition."

Serena looked at the Emperor.

"I will decide the ratio for the income tribute."

Serena looked at the Emperor for a moment and said.

"How much?" 

"I will think about that and let you know within a few days." 

Serena asked the Emperor, flustered. 

"Your Majesty, if you do that, I won't know if a negotiation has taken place or not. You must set the ratio so that I can lower it." 

The Emperor said.

"Since the Princess said you would lower it, if I set the amount and bring it to you, can't we just lower it again from there? That is negotiation."

"...Understood." 

The Emperor raised his tea with a satisfied expression. Serena thought to herself. This gentleman is no pushover, either. So the old fox was right here. I can't even begin to guess how much His Majesty wants to make money.

The Emperor rose from his seat and left the reception room. Serena and Claude remained in the room. Claude looked at Serena as he set down his teacup.

"But still, in front of His Majesty, what do you mean by 'no way'?" 

Serena said.

"It is true." 

Claude looked away. The tips of his ears were completely red. Seeing this, Serena thought to herself. To think the day had come when a father's ears would turn red because of his daughter in front of His Majesty the Emperor. She chuckled softly and drank her tea. 

Serena returned to the study and thought about what lay ahead. Not long after, Edward entered the study. He was holding an envelope in his hand. Serena looked at Edward. His steps suggested that the envelope was not his destination. Edward stood there with a slightly more awkward expression than usual. Edward held out the envelope.

"Serena, a letter has arrived from Lady Bianca." 

Serena took the envelope. It was the Bianca Drua emblem. Serena tore open the envelope. It was a short letter. It said she wanted to return a book she had borrowed long ago and would come visit when she had time. That was all there was to it. And the recipient was Edward, not Serena. 

Both Maxim and Edward had assumed that since it came from Bianca, it must have been addressed to Serena. Serena looked at Edward as she read the letter. Edward was staring straight ahead. He should have left now that the letter had been delivered, but he didn't budge. Martha saw him move his foot slightly and then stop. Was he curious about the contents? 

"You could go pick it up yourself." 

Edward looked at Serena. 

"Why would I?" 

"It would be a hassle for Lady Bianca to come here. You could just go." 

Edward said. 

"You could just tell her to come here." 

Serena said as she put the letter down. 

"You go yourself. It is more polite for you to go than to make her travel such a long distance." 

Edward looked at Serena for a moment and said.

"You mean that is polite?" 

"Yes. This, the recipient isn't me, it's you, brother?" 

Edward stammered, his face showing a look of panic. Then he examined the envelope Serena had torn open closely. Recipient. Edward Valois. Good heavens. Edward had given it to Serena without even properly checking the recipient, simply because it was a letter from Bianca.

"When did the two of you start borrowing and lending books again? They say big deals are supposed to be made in secret." 

"Serenal!!"

Edward, his face bright red, snatched the letter from Serena's hand and put it back in the envelope. As he walked out the door, he said.

"I'm going to be right back." 

Serena nodded. Edward stopped at the door and looked at Serena.

"Serena." 

Serena looked back at Edward. Edward held up the envelope and showed it to her. 

"This is mine, so take it." 

Serena said, looking at Edward. 

"Do as you please." 

Serena thought as she watched Edward's retreating figure. As expected, history flows, and the world changes even if I don't see it. When did he build such a relationship with Bianca? I'll have to dig into it when Bianca comes later. She chuckled and opened the documents again. 

It was afternoon. Maxim entered the study and said.

"My Lady, Prince Leon has arrived." 

Serena looked up from the documents. He was the second guest of the day. His Majesty the Emperor had arrived in the morning, and Leon had come in the afternoon. Serena stood up from her seat and said.

"I'll go to the drawing room." 

When she entered the drawing room, Leon was standing. He was there. It was Leon, standing and waiting for Serena to arrive instead of sitting. Seeing this, Serena thought to herself, 'Even this side of him... he's a really decent person.'

"You've arrived?" 

"I have." 

Serena said as she took her seat. 

"Please sit down." 

Leon said as he sat down. 

"Duke Kreuz visited the Empress's chambers yesterday." 

Serena looked at Leon. 

"Late yesterday evening. He sent all the ladies-in-waiting out and stayed alone with the Empress for quite a while before leaving. I don't know what was discussed inside, but Duke Kreuz's expression was different from usual when he came out." 

Hearing this, Serena thought. The Empress must have told Duke Kreuz to focus solely on the hot spring construction. He has to be mindful of His Majesty for the time being. However, it would be difficult for the Duke to keep going around reporting to the Empress, and the new captain of the guard isn't his man yet.

"Did you perhaps already know?" 

"I had somewhat anticipated it." 

Leon looked at Serena. Serena spoke while holding her tea.

"The Empress summoned Duke Kreuz because of a story I dropped. Yesterday, I mentioned in the Empress's quarters that His Majesty the Emperor was watching over the hot springs. The Empress must have conveyed that story to Duke Kreuz. Telling him to be careful regarding the hot springs." 

"Did she tell that story in the Empress's quarters yesterday?" 

"Yes." 

Leon said.

"How was that possible? The Empress must have been suspicious of Princess Serena." 

Serena said as she set down her teacup. 

"I told her I was deceived by my father. That the story about that building first came from his side. That I was used, too." 

Leon said. 

"And how did you find out that His Majesty the Emperor is here today?" 

Serena looked at Leon. 

"How did you know His Majesty the Emperor was here?" 

"I heard it from Lord Maxim. As he was coming in " 

Serena thought of Maxim to herself. He, too, already thought Prince Leon was on our side.

"Before leaving the Empress's quarters yesterday, I stopped by His Majesty the Emperor's residence first. I asked for his help. That is why he came in person today." 

Leon looked at Serena. 

"You asked for help from His Majesty the Emperor?" 

"Yes. I asked me to save him from the Empress yesterday. In return, we agreed to share the hot springs. And please create a pretext to send away Duke Kreuz's people." 

Upon hearing this, Leon looked at Serena with surprised eyes. 

"You are truly an extraordinary person, Princess. Smart, and quick-witted." 

Leon's expression as he looked at Serena seemed bewildered, yet he was pretending not to be. He looked impressed, yet he was pretending not to be.

"Let's just say I'm cunning." 

"So... that seems to make me even more curious, Serena." 

The drawing room fell silent. Serena almost made a mistake while drinking her tea. What is up with this man? Is it okay to barge in like this? It's flustering when the atmosphere changes so suddenly. Serena quickly put down her cup and patted her mouth with a handkerchief.


[Lucy's Secret Shock Journal Episode 85] 

The Princess secretly mentioned earlier that she has no idea how much His Majesty wants to make money. Princess, I am the one who has no idea how much you want to succeed. 

And Prince Edward came to deliver a letter to the Princess but took it back. He said he didn't realize it was his letter. That's why you always have to read carefully! 

And Prince Leon also today. He arrived at the Duke's estate. Before entering the reception room where Young Master Leon was waiting, the Princess asked me five times to make sure her clothes, face, and hair were not disheveled. 

My Lady, it's so obvious now. I'm tired of pretending not to notice!


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments