Grandma Princess - Chapter 82




Episode 82. You should always have insurance to prepare for accidents


The carriage carrying Serena arrived at the Imperial Palace. As she stepped out, Serena looked at the main gate. It was the gate she always saw, but today it felt different. 

Usually, she had entered naturally without giving it much thought, but today it felt like a wall she might never be able to escape once she entered. Serena muttered to herself, "I'm thinking all sorts of things. I'll just come out the way I came in." 

Lucy spoke from beside her.

"Princess, are you nervous?"

"No." 

"You look a bit stiff" 

"I actually look prettier with a blank expression." 

Lucy looked at Serena. Lucy knew her expression was slightly stiff. However, since Serena remained silent, Lucy did not speak further. 

As they entered the palace, they were in the corridor leading toward the Empress's quarters. Footsteps echoed quietly on the marble floor. The afternoon sunlight streaming through the window illuminated the long corridor. It was then. Serena stopped walking, and Lucy, who had been following behind, bumped slightly into her back. Serena turned around and began walking back the way she had come. Lucy tilted her head in confusion. 

"Do you need to use the restroom urgently?" 

Lucy followed behind, not knowing the reason. Serena had walked briskly and arrived at the Emperor's quarters. Lucy trailed off from behind, muttering.

"This isn't the right place..."

Serena nodded as if she knew, and quietly informed the guard outside the quarters to inform the Emperor. She wanted to see His Majesty briefly. She said she had an urgent matter.

"I thought so; she hadn't just come to the palace without a plan," Lucy thought. 

They were inside His Majesty's quarters. Not long after the guard made the announcement, Serena entered. The Emperor sat in the central chair and looked at Serena. He had just heard through the guard that it was urgent. He also knew that it was the day she had entered the palace after receiving a letter from the Empress. The Emperor knew what the conversation would be, but he pretended not to know and looked at Serena.

"What is it, Princess?" 

Serena said, bowing.

"Your Majesty, I have something to tell you." 

"Sit here and speak." 

Serena said as she took her seat.

"Her Majesty the Empress summoned me. It is an application for an archaeological excavation of a building in the alley south of the Imperial Palace. Her Majesty must have known that the Duchy of Valois was on the move. That is why she summoned me." 

The Emperor was silent for a moment. Seeing that he appeared to already know, Serena felt that no further explanation was necessary and got straight to the point. 

"So, Your Majesty. Please save me." 

The Emperor looked at Serena and spoke. 

"You want me to save you?" 

"Yes. I would appreciate it if you could stop Her Majesty from trying to do something to me, Your Majesty." 

"You rejected the marriage to my son, and now you come here asking me to save you?" 

Serena looked at the Emperor. It was a remark laced with humor, but it wasn't entirely a joke. Serena knew better than anyone that while the Emperor pouted as if he were sulking, he held no ill will regarding that matter.

"It would be more advantageous for you, Your Majesty, to possess my family than to have me alone." 

The Emperor looked at Serena and burst into laughter. Laughter echoed throughout the quarters. The Emperor laughed for a long time. Watching that laughter, Serena thought, "Enough." His Majesty the Emperor stopped laughing and said.

"How can I not covet you after seeing this? Serena, if you don't want to be the Crown Princess, how about the Empress?" 

The Chief Chamberlain spoke quietly from behind. 

"Your Majesty, maintain your dignity."

His Majesty the Emperor raised his hand to stop the Chief Chamberlain. Serena stood up and said.

"Anyway, you agreed to save me. You made a promise" 

His Majesty the Emperor looked at Serena.

"I never said I promised" 

"But you laughed." 

"I was just laughing." 

"Still, it is a promise. You roughly knew what kind of favor I came to ask." 

"Then, what will you do for me?" 

"I will give you a wish. Something where I can help Your Majesty." 

"Do you think I would ever need to make a wish to you in this Empire, Princess?" 

"Come on, you never know what might happen. If you don't need the wish, just help me." 

The Emperor looked at Serena, his face showing he was trying to suppress a laugh. Serena bowed and said.

"I am going to see Her Majesty the Empress now." 

The scene then showed her walking toward the door of her quarters. Watching her retreating figure, the Emperor muttered to himself.

"I can't help but covet her. Should I make Serena my chamberlain?" 

From behind, the chamberlain spoke. 

"Your Majesty, please come to your senses." 

The Emperor looked at the chamberlain. The chamberlain avoided the Emperor's gaze, looked straight ahead, and said nothing. His Majesty the Emperor unfolded the documents placed before him and said.

"Understood, understood. I should start getting ready soon to rescue the future chamberlain." 

The chamberlain pretended not to hear and prepared the Emperor's preparations. Serena left her quarters and stepped out into the hallway. Lucy was waiting at the door.

"Princess, I heard laughter from inside. Why was His Majesty the Emperor laughing?" 

"Because I asked him to spare my life. I must go to Her Majesty the Empress now." 

Lucy followed behind Serena, thinking to herself. She had met His Majesty the Emperor before going to Her Majesty the Empress. And His Imperial Majesty smiled. The Princess must have received something; I don't know what it is, but she always leaves something behind. 

Someone was walking from the other side of the hallway. It was Countess Hartmann. Her steps were coming from the direction of the Empress's quarters. Her pace was not fast, and her expression suggested she was deep in thought. Watching this, Serena thought, "She has come to visit the Empress."

Madame Hartmann sensed a presence ahead, looked up, and ran into Serena in the hallway. Madame Hartmann was not surprised. Her eyes showed she knew Serena was coming. It was only natural. If Her Majesty the Empress had sent a letter to Serena, Hartmann would have known about it as well.

"Countess, you have just met with Her Majesty the Empress." 

Hartmann stopped and looked at Serena. There was a multitude of emotions in that gaze. Although she did not know exactly what had been discussed with the Empress, Serena felt that Madame Hartmann had not spoken solely in favor of Her Majesty the Empress. 

"Yes. Princess, please be careful." 

It was just two words. That was all. Yet, those two words contained so much about Her Majesty the Empress's current condition. The atmosphere within the chambers. And one could sense a hint of concern in her demeanor toward Serena. Serena nodded in response. Madame Hartmann continued walking ahead. Serena watched her retreating figure for a moment. 

"Be careful." 

Those words echoed in her ears once more. Serena thought to herself. Oh my, the real work begins now. They were standing in front of the door to the Empress's chambers. Serena stopped at the door. She took a deep breath. Quietly. Without making it obvious. Lucy was standing beside her.

"My Lady, are you going in alone again this time?" 

Nodding at Lucy's question, Serena stood at the door and thought to herself. Alright, let's go. Let's settle this once and for all. 

Serena conveyed her message to the guard in front of the Empress's chambers. The guard went inside, and a moment later, a lady-in-waiting's voice was heard from within, calling for her to come in. Serena opened the door. It was inside the Empress's chambers. The Empress was seated in a chair. As Serena entered, she looked at the Empress. Their eyes met. Serena went to the Empress's side, knelt down, and spoke with a worried expression.

"Your Majesty, I heard you were summoned urgently, so I rushed here out of concern. What is the matter? You are not ill, are you?" 

It was the scene of the Empress looking at Serena. Those eyes were different. It was not the warm affectionate look she usually held toward Serena. It was an eye trying to read something from Serena's face. It seemed to be trying to read what expression this Princess was wearing right now, and what lay behind it. 

Her Majesty the Empress opened her mouth.

"Serena." 

Serena looked at the Empress.

"Sit down."

Serena took her seat. The Empress took a sip of tea, slowly set it down, and looked at Serena. Her movements were slower than usual. It felt as though she was thoroughly scanning Serena before speaking.

"You know the buildings in the alley south of the Imperial Palace, don't you?" 

"Yes, the building you purchased before." 

"Artifacts were discovered there. What's even more interesting is that they were found in the palace without being reported." 

"Yes, I know." 

Immediately after hearing Serena admit to knowing, the Empress's expression stiffened. And as if she tightened her grip on the teacup in an instant, the handle snapped. 

"You... knew? You knew everything? Is that what you have to say right now?! Serena!!!" 

The words echoed softly within the chambers. Serena looked at Her Majesty the Empress. The Empress looked at Serena as well. The two faced each other. 


[Lucy's Secret Shock Journal Episode 82] 

I will not trust the Princess anymore. She always says she doesn't know and that things will work out somehow, but in reality, it seems she has a plan for everything. 

Even today, she came out after seeing His Majesty the Emperor before seeing Her Majesty the Empress. His Majesty's laughter leaked out even outside, though I can't tell what they talked about. 

From what I overheard, he was talking about something about the position of Empress being more important than the position of Crown Princess. Princess, were you perhaps drawing a bigger picture? His Majesty the Emperor is older than the Duke, so what should the Duke call His Majesty? 


Previous                Next



Comments