Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

Grandma Princess - Chapter 59




Episode 59. Martha's Rumor

Maxim entered the study early in the morning. 

"My Lady, Mr. Becker has arrived." 

Martha lifted her eyes from the documents. She put down her pen and stood up from her seat. She straightened her clothes once. She blocked Lucy with her hand as she tried to follow. 

"I'll go alone." 

Lucy stopped. She clutched her notebook tightly and stood still. Martha gathered her thoughts as she walked toward the drawing room. 

Becker Berman. He was a man who had long been in the building rental business in the alley south of the Imperial Palace. He had sold the Owl Bookstore building to a new owner, but as soon as the new owner started renovations, artifacts were discovered, causing a commotion throughout the alley. After selling that building, Becker owned several more properties nearby. The market value of the surrounding buildings was also fluctuating due to the construction commotion. He wanted to dispose of them quickly, but it was not an easy situation. What Martha needed were those buildings. 

She opened the drawing room door. Becker stood up from his seat. He was a man in his early sixties. He was short and looked sturdy. He had the look in his eyes of someone who had rolled around on the ground for a long time. It was a calculating look. But now, fatigue was clearly visible in those eyes. It was the fatigue of someone who should be selling but cannot.

As Martha sat down, she spoke first. 

"You must have had a hard time getting here. It was a long journey, wasn't it?" 

"No, Princess. I am actually grateful that you reached out." 

Becker took his seat. He sat with the posture of someone whose back was perfectly straight and tense. It seemed he still couldn't quite believe that the Princess of the Valois ducal family had contacted him personally. 

Martha poured the tea herself and handed it to him. Becker accepted the teacup with both hands. Martha picked up her own teacup and spoke naturally.

"You must be having a hard time these days. Ever since you sold the Owl Bookstore building." 

Becker froze for a moment while holding his teacup. 

"How did you know that?" 

"I can hear everything going on in the alley south of the Imperial Palace." 

Martha said, taking a sip of tea. 

"It's not your fault that the artifact was discovered, Mr. Becker. How would the seller know? But I imagine the surrounding gaze won't be kind." 

Becker put the tea down and spoke quietly. 

"Honestly, things are a bit tough these days. Ever since I sold that building, the prices of the surrounding properties have been dropping. On top of that, I'm worried that excavation surveys might be coming into my buildings as well." 

Martha nodded and looked at Becker. She could tell what he truly wanted. He wanted to get rid of it quickly. He wanted to escape from a headache. 

"That's why I contacted you. I thought I could be of some help." 

Becker looked at Martha. Martha put down her teacup and said.

"Mr. Becker, how many buildings do you currently own in the area?" 

"There are three more based on the Owl Bookstore Alley." 

"Are you willing to sell those three to me?" 

Becker looked at Martha. The hand holding the teacup paused for a moment. A brief silence followed. It was time to settle the matter. Martha did not rush the silence. She waited. After spending some time calculating his own calculations, Becker spoke. 

"How much do you plan to charge?" 

"I will pay you at the market price. But there is one condition." 

"What is the condition?" 

"I won't pay you right now; instead, I will pay you with the proceeds from the sale of those buildings. I will set the deadline at one month. Sell them within a month and pay you at the market price. In return, please give me a certain amount as a commission." 

Becker looked at Martha. His eyes shifted. They were scrutinizing eyes. Eyes weighing the risks this deal posed for him. 

Look here, Mr. Becker. Do you think there will ever be another golden opportunity like this? Just trust me, Martha. You sell the land, I pocket a commission, and I get some revenge. Heh heh.

"Can you sell it within a month?" 

"I will take care of that." 

"What if you can't sell it within a month?" 

"Then let's call off the deal. You won't lose anything, Mr. Becker. I will specify that in the contract." 

As he listened to those words, Becker leaned back in his chair. It was a posture that allowed him to relax a little. Martha saw it. The statement that there was nothing to lose was the decisive factor. It was better to have a guaranteed buyer, even if it meant a time limit, than to keep holding onto buildings that could not be sold. Moreover, it was a deal initiated personally by the Princess of Valois. Becker said.

"Why do you need those buildings, Your Highness?" 

Martha spoke naturally while raising her tea. 

"There is a redevelopment boom in the alleys south of the Imperial Palace these days. It is a good location."

"But the relics..."

Becker glanced at Martha for a moment. Then he nodded. 

"I understand. You must have a reason. Let's make it one month." 

Martha said with a smile. 

"That's good. Please have some more tea. You must have had a hard time getting here." 

Becker said while holding his teacup.

"Princess, may I ask you just one thing?" 

"Go ahead." 

Becker's eyes met Martha's. It was the look of someone who had been rolling around at the bottom for a long time, trying to read something. 

"To whom do you intend to sell those buildings?" 

Martha looked at Becker. After a moment of silence, she spoke with a smile. 

"To good people who need those buildings."

Becker nodded as he heard the answer. He didn't ask any further questions. He was a man of many years. He knew he shouldn't ask any more. 

After Becker left, Martha returned to the study. Lucy followed her and said.

"Did it go well, Princess?" 

"Of course, who do you think I am?"

"How are you going to sell those buildings?" 

Martha said as she sat down.

"Tomorrow at the Empress's tea time." 

Lucy stopped.

"At tea time?" 

"Yes." 

Lucy said, taking out her notebook. 

"My Lady, she is selling the building right there." 

"I'm not selling it, I'm introducing it. There's a good investment opportunity these days. To those who are interested." 

Lucy stopped while taking notes in her notebook. 

"What happens if they buy it?" 

Martha said, looking out the window. 

"They'll start construction to rebuild it." 

"Then?" 

"Then an archaeological excavation survey will come in." 

Lucy looked at Martha. Martha said, looking out the window. 

"And then the construction will stop." 

It took Lucy a moment to accept those words. 

"My Lady."

"What?" 

"Are they people from the Empress's side?" 

Martha looked at Lucy. 

"Lucy, don't try to know too much; you'll get hurt!" 

Lucy clutched her notebook tightly. When the Princess gives that look, everything is already planned out. Lucy knew it. It was right to just take out her notebook and write it down. As she took notes, Lucy said.

"Tea time tomorrow is at two." 

"Then we should leave early after lunch." 

"Is there anything I need to prepare?" 

"I need to ask Mother something. At dinner tonight." 

Lucy nodded and closed her notebook. 

It was the dinner table. Isabella, sitting opposite Martha and eating soup, said.

"It's the Empress's tea time tomorrow. How are you going to dress?" 

"Just something safe." 

"Not something safe." 

Isabella looked at Martha. 

"You have to see the guests. Everyone dresses up a lot for the Empress's tea time." 

Martha said while scooping soup. 

"Who is attending?" 

Isabella said, picking up some bread. 

"Countess Hartmann attends almost always." 

She paused briefly, then continued.

"Marchioness Carol Deberg has been coming often lately, too." 

Martha looked at Isabella. Isabella spoke as she scooped up some soup. 

"Watch out for that lady." 

"Why?" 

Isabella put down her spoon. Her face showed she was recalling something. 

"I ran into her a few times at that gathering." 

Isabella looked as though she was choosing her words carefully. 

"She's a Countess, yet she looks down on people just because she became a Marchioness. I saw her do that to Countess Hartmann, too. Since the Countess is lower in rank than the Marchioness, she openly ignored her. It made me uncomfortable a few times, too." 

Isabella picked up her soup again and added.

"Serena, don't stand up to that lady for no reason. We can't let things get noisy in the Empress's seat." 

Martha nodded. 

"I understand, Mother." 

She will stand up to her. Isabella looked at Martha once more. Whenever she said she understood so obediently, she was always thinking about something else. Isabella knew it. By the time Serena wore that look, something had already been sorted out in her mind. However, Isabella did not ask any further questions. She had faith that her daughter would do better than she did. 

It was the afternoon of the following day. When Martha entered the reception room of the Empress's quarters, people were already gathered there. The Empress was seated at the place of honor. Noble ladies were seated beside her. Countess Hartmann was seated close to the Empress's left. The moment she saw Martha enter, her gaze changed subtly. Was she wary, remembering, or both? Her facial expression remained unchanged, but only her eyes were different. That, in fact, spoke volumes. 

The woman sitting opposite Countess Hartmann was Marchioness Deberg. She was in her early forties. Her features were distinct, and her attire was splendid. Her dress appeared to be the most expensive among those present. Confidence radiated from her posture as she sat.

She turned her head toward Countess Hartmann and was speaking to her. As Countess Hartmann responded, her expression stiffened slightly. It was a face of endurance. It was the face of someone who had been holding back for a long time. Watching the scene, Martha recalled what Isabella had said. Because the Marchioness is higher than the Countess. She openly ignored her. Seeing it in person, it was exactly as Isabella had said.

The Empress looked at Martha. 

"Welcome, Princess Valois. I have been waiting for you." 

Martha bowed respectfully. 

"Thank you for the invitation, Your Majesty." 

The Empress offered Martha a seat. It was somewhere in the middle of the table. It was a seat neither too close nor too far from the Empress. 

As Martha sat down, she naturally scanned her surroundings. The Marchioness of Deberg looked at Martha. It was a look that scanned her up and down. Quickly, yet blatantly. Then she picked up her tea. It was a way of expressing that she was not particularly interested. 

Watching that, Martha thought to herself. Okay, received. The Empress offered her tea.

"Princess Valois, I heard you visited the estate recently." 

"Yes. I went for a short while." 

"I heard you went horseback riding." 

"It's horseback riding practice. I'm still clumsy." 

The Empress said with a smile. 

"So there is something the Princess is clumsy at." 

The audience chuckled. Martha laughed, too. The Marchioness of Deberg smiled and said.

"Still, I heard you are quite multi-talented, Princess. What kind of horse did you ride?" 

Martha looked at the Marchioness of Deberg. 

"I said it was a spiteful horse." 

Deberg raised her eyebrows. 

"Is its name 'Grumpy'?" 

"It is a finicky horse. That is why it was given that name." 

Deberg said while sipping her tea. 

"So you rode a finicky horse. It must suit your personality well, Princess." 

The room fell silent for a moment. It was a subtle remark. It was a way of twisting the tone without being blatant. Countess Hartmann looked down at her teacup. Her Majesty the Empress maintained her expression. The other ladies exchanged glances briefly. Martha knew what kind of silence it was. It was a silence meant to see how they would react. 

Martha smiled and said.

"That is true. I get along well with finicky things. I should try taking a riding session with the Marchioness soon, too. I am curious to see which horse you will ride." 

Deberg looked at Martha. Perhaps because the answer was different from what she expected, she remained silent for a moment. It was a look on her face as if she had been about to retort but had run out of something to say. 

Her Majesty the Empress naturally changed the subject.

"Is the construction of the hot springs going well these days?" 

"It is proceeding smoothly. The workers of the Golden Lion Merchant Guild are working very hard." 

The Empress smiled with satisfaction. Receiving that smile, Martha thought to herself, 'You are mistaken, Your Majesty. Please remain mistaken just a little longer.' 

After a set amount of time, a new tea circulated around the table. Other snacks and fruits were also served. Consequently, the atmosphere in the reception room lightened slightly. Picking up a snack, Martha spoke naturally. 

"By the way, I hear there is a lot of talk about the alley south of the palace these days." 

Marchioness Deberg looked at Martha. 

"What kind of story?" 

"You know the Owl Bookstore, right? It was quite a commotion for a while because an artifact was discovered there. But lately, even stranger rumors have been circulating." 

The Empress looked at Martha. 

"Strange rumors?"

"I heard that the new owner, lacking the funds to pay the remaining balance and finding it difficult to get their deposit back, deliberately placed the artifact there and spread rumors to halt construction." 

Martha said this while eating her snack as if nothing were wrong. 

"I don't know if it's true or not, but because of that, all the surrounding buildings have come under suspicion. It's not like any artifacts were found, but people are feeling anxious for no reason." 

Marchioness Deberg raised her eyebrows. 

"So, are you saying there are actually no artifacts in those surrounding buildings?" 

"Well, we'd have to dig to know. But because of that, those buildings are listing at prices much lower than the current market value. The owners are anxious. It is a good location, so it is a bit of a shame that the value is fluctuating because of this commotion. It is south of the Imperial Palace, so there is a lot of foot traffic, and it is a spot that would generate quite a profit if a new building were constructed." 

Marchioness Deberg showed interest. 

"Lower than the market price? By how much?" 

"I don't know the exact figures, but I heard the owners want to sell them off quickly. You would have to look into it yourself to know for sure." 

Deberg said as he set down her tea.

"Aren't you interested, Princess?" 

"I would like to get involved, too, but I don't have enough money to pull in from the family. I have the hot springs on my estate; after all, I don't have the resources to touch buildings inside the city." 

Deberg nodded, her face showing a thoughtful expression. Martha looked at it and thought to herself, "I planted the seeds." 

The Empress, who had been quietly listening to the conversation, spoke up.

"I actually took an interest in that alley once, too." 

Martha looked at the Empress. The Empress said while sipping her tea.

"It is a good spot." 

Even the Empress. Martha thought to herself, "That makes it even better." 

"It seems that the ladies who are stirring up a bit of influence in high society these days are all showing interest. They build new buildings to collect more rent than they do now, and the location is prime. Family wealth is often insufficient to cover the expenses of maintaining a certain dignity, you know. That is why I heard the ladies are showing interest in investing behind their husbands' backs." 

With those last words, Martha rose briefly from her seat. Using the restroom as an excuse, she stepped out of the drawing room. The hallway was quiet. Sunlight streamed in long streams through the window. As she walked, Martha organized the things she had planted today in her mind. Just then, footsteps came from behind her. When Martha turned around, Countess Hartmann was standing there. Their eyes met. Countess Hartmann paused for a moment, then approached Martha. 

The hallway was quiet. There was no one between the two. Countess Hartmann's face was different from when she was in the drawing room. In the drawing room, she always wore a cautious expression. A face conscious of Her Majesty the Empress, conscious of Deberg, and conscious of her surroundings. But now, it was different. Those senses had lowered slightly. Whether it was because the hallway was quiet, or because she was in front of Martha.

Countess Hartmann spoke in a low voice. 

"Princess." 

"Countess." 

"Did you drop the story about that building to the Marchioness Deberg?" 

Martha looked at Hartmann. It was not a questioning look. It was a look of wanting to know. A look wanting to know what this woman was doing. Martha smiled and retorted to Hartmann's words. 

"I introduced a good investment opportunity." 

Countess Hartmann looked at Martha. Her eyes gazed at her for a long time. It seemed as though she were trying to read something. Then she spoke. 

"Those buildings in the alley are good investment opportunities." 

It was a statement without a question mark. However, it was a question. 

"Are you interested, Countess?" 

"No." 

"I suppose so." 

As Martha was about to walk away, Countess Hartmann called out to stop her.

"Princess." 

Martha turned around. Countess Hartmann glanced briefly out the hallway window, then looked at Martha. It was the face of someone hesitating as if about to take something out. It was the look of someone who had spent nearly decades in the position of Her Majesty the Empress's closest confidant, about to reveal something for the first time. It was evident from that expression that it would not be easy for Countess Hartmann to open her mouth. 

"You know what the Princess said last time." 

Martha waited. 

"You said that if you get angry every time you get pricked, it consumes too much energy. It is better to use that energy for something else." 

That was what Martha had said the day they first met. When they first crossed paths in high society. It was the day Countess Hartmann had pricked her sharply, but Martha had deflected it with a look of trying to suppress a yawn. She still remembered those words. 

Martha looked at Countess Hartmann. Her gaze was different. It was not the look of someone who had always been tense beside Her Majesty the Empress. It was the look of someone who had endured something for a long time, finally trying to let it go. The weariness of someone who endures being ignored by Deberg. The weariness of someone who has been loyal to Her Majesty the Empress but feels herself being pushed aside. All of it was in those eyes. 

"You still remember what I said?" 

"I just couldn't forget it." 

Countess Hartmann looked out the window as she said this. She didn't look at Martha. It seemed that even uttering those words aloud was not easy.

"Countess." 

Countess Hartmann looked at Martha.

"You stayed by the Empress's side for a long time, didn't you?" 

"Yes." 

"It must have been difficult." 

Countess Hartmann froze. It was a look of someone who hadn't expected those words. It wasn't a compliment saying she must have worked hard. Nor was it a compliment saying she was amazing. It was simply, "It must have been difficult." Those words seemed to touch something deep within Countess Hartmann. It was the look of someone who, for the first time, had been asked something that no one had asked for a long time. 

Something flashed through Countess Hartmann's eyes. 

"You have endured for a long time. I can see it." 

Countess Hartmann looked at Martha. She looked for a long time. The hallway was quiet. Long rays of sunlight streamed in. Somewhere in the distance, the faint sound of people talking could be heard. 

Countess Hartmann said.

"The Princess is a strange person." 

Martha said with a smile. 

"I hear that often. That's just how it turns out. That's just how life goes." 

Countess Hartmann let out a short sound. It was laughter. Short and sincere laughter. A laughter that wasn't hidden behind a title. Countess Hartmann returned to the drawing room first. Martha watched her retreating figure and thought. It's fine. She wasn't the person I expected, though. It might take some time with this person, but it's fine. 

Martha followed Countess Hartmann back to the drawing room. Marchioness Deberg was talking with the Empress. Her voice was low. Martha sat down and listened to their conversation. 

"Your Majesty... a building in the southern alley... soon... a meeting..." 

The Empress whispered quietly into Marchioness Deberg's ear. 

"The Golden Lion Merchant Guild chimney..."

Martha thought to herself as she raised her tea. Marchioness Deberg is bringing it to the Empress herself. She must be able to blow her nose without lifting a finger. How grateful I am for her trouble. 

The Empress looked at Martha. 

"Princess, what do you think? Should I buy a building too?" 

Martha said, looking at the Empress.

"It is a good spot, but since Your Majesty's eye for detail is higher than mine, you would need to see it for yourself to know for sure. I have heard that the older the building, the cheaper it can be purchased. It would certainly be nice if a new building were built there; it would change the atmosphere of the alley." 

The Empress smiled and said.

"I should look into it." 

"If there is anything you need, I will gladly step forward to help. Just let me know, Your Majesty." 

Martha thought as she sipped her tea. Your Majesty, please cross that river quickly. Then, the archaeological excavation survey will arrive just then. 

Martha glanced out the window for a moment. Since you schemed on my land, I will try scheming with the land myself.



[Lucy's Secret Shock Journal - Episode 59] 

Lately, when I look at the Princess, it seems like even ten bodies wouldn't be enough. 

A few days ago, she visited the hot spring estate, and on another day, she met with an investor for a building in the southern alley. 

Today, she even attended the Empress's tea time. It seems she unexpectedly shared her heart with Countess Hartmann today. I still don't know how the Princess manages to open people's hearts in a single word. 

It seems like she is sharpening a fierce blade of revenge against the Empress again. 

Princess. Please, just don't get into any danger. 

When I mentioned in the carriage that I was scared lately, the Princess said that you get used to it as you live. 

I wanted to ask how long I would have to live to get used to it, but I held back.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments