As expected, the atmosphere was not good.
"..."
Tension was palpable on Presepe's face as she stood before Dietrich. Without saying a word, she simply gazed at the letter in Dietrich's hand.
It was a letter that Presepe knew very well.
The point that angered Dietrich in this event was as follows.
1. First, the content of that letter.
2. The suspicion that Presepe was in contact with external forces. In other words, the thought that she was planning to abandon him and escape again at any moment.
3. The misunderstanding that Presepe went around blabbering about his shameful secrets.
Ugh, that damn letter.
Having experienced this event countless times, Presepe knew better than anyone what would happen next.
'But as expected... it's no different from usual, right?'
Still, she thought there was always a possibility. Since she had chosen the bug option, she wondered if the course of events might have changed, just as it did with Attar Hanan.
However, the Dietrich before her was enraged, just as he had been in previous episodes. She could tell just by looking at those tightly closed lips. Dietrich was the kind of person who, when angry, would become very cool-headed and cold rather than erupting with fiery emotions.
"..."
Dietrich glared at Presepe silently, then tossed the letter he was holding at her feet.
"It seems I always look down on you."
Then, with a sinister voice, he pursed his lips.
"I thought that if I locked you up in the tower and kept you under surveillance, you wouldn't be able to find a way."
"..."
"It is truly surprising that you were colluding with others in this way."
It was a letter with content that was already well known.
Abusive remarks insulting Dietrich by bringing up his mother.
'And Dietrich's secret that only Presepe knows...'
To be precise, the story is about how, whenever the anniversary of his mother's death arrives, Dietrich—who never even touched a speck of breath—gets drunk and spends the night weeping in front of the tombstone.
Since no options are popping up, she doesn't know what to say...
Originally, options appeared at this time. They were options expressing grievances in various ways.
Even so, no matter what she chose, the result was the same: being trapped in an ice prison.
Due to a bug, all dialogue options have completely disappeared from the conversation with Dietrich, so while she can talk freely... In other words, it also meant that in this situation, she had to make up answers she didn't mean.
'I'm not even trying to win this time anyway, so why don't I just do as I please?'
From Presepe's perspective, this event is undeniably a very unfair situation.
That is understandable, because it was not Presepe who went around revealing Dietrich's secret in the first place.
Of course, in the original storyline, Dietrich only realizes that fact after Presepe has gone through a lot of hardship.
'But then again, if I do that for no reason and things get strangely complicated...'
Do what you do?
Or maybe try venting?
"..."
Even while Presepe was lost in such serious thought, Dietrich's gaze did not leave her.
Those inexplicable memories that have tormented him terribly over the past few days.
Presepe has once again betrayed his trust.
Indescribable, strong emotions were shaking Dietrich's heart.
“Answer me.”
"..."
"Answer me, Presepe!"
“It’s unfair.”
Err, I don’t know.
Presepe, who never wanted to be imprisoned in an ice prison again, finally spoke up.
"You feel wronged? You? What on earth!"
"First of all, I have never gone around blabbing that His Majesty does that on the anniversary of the Empress's death. Nor have I colluded with others, especially those targeting His Majesty."
"Are you telling me to believe that right now?"
A sneer played on Dietrich's lips.
"You're always like that. In front of me, you lie like you're being wronged and pretend you haven't done anything wrong... but behind my back, you do things that make me angry."
"Wait a minute, I'm..."
"And yet, you shamelessly keep blabbering on again. Saying you didn't mean to. That you never did!"
Is that why I keep hating you like this?
Will I never even be able to believe again?
Just like it was even in that unknown memory?
Dietrich thought to himself.
"No, that..."
"It's as if you're trying to deceive me!"
"I'm..."
"You're like a wretched woman..."
"That is why I am trying to tell you the truth right now!"
Presepe cut Dietrich off abruptly and shouted.
Dietrich involuntarily wore a look of disbelief. And rightly so, as this was the first time in all those long years that Presepe had acted this way.
"As for that matter, I just said one thing! I simply asked them to go and take care of you, since you're probably drunk and alone like that again."
Of course, she didn't say it of her own free will; it was something Presepe in the game said to someone else.
That one remark is also likely an in-game setting for this ice prison event.
"And when I just keep people stuck in the tower like that every day, how could I possibly conspire?"
“What now..."
"Besides, how long has Your Majesty had it been since you seized imperial power? I must be insane to associate with a group of rebels. Presepe, no, I mean, I have that much brain, too!"
I wonder if saying something unnecessary will cause things to get twisted strangely again?
...that thought had already vanished. It was because she was so sick and tired of this dreadful event, and of Dietrich's obsession, which was a hundred times more dreadful.
"Your Majesty, I am already well aware that you do not trust me, but even at a glance, it doesn't add up like this, so why are you the only one who always fails to notice?"
"Ha."
Despite making a rather logical argument, Dietrich seemed to pay no heed to Presepe's words.
He was always like this.
The answer is already decided, so you just have to pray.
“Then bring me the evidence!”
Dietrich shouted angrily.
"Evidence to support what you just said!"
If things had gone according to plan, she wouldn't have caused such a commotion, but now that things have turned out this way, it wasn't that Presepe had absolutely no evidence to present.
In the original game progression, it would have been enough to simply tell Dietrich in advance about the opportunity to learn the truth.
It was the moment Presepe was about to open her lips to say something.
"Your Majesty, Grand Duke Fenrir and lady-in-waiting Ella have requested an audience."
"Really ...uh?"
Presepe paused at the sudden voice of the escort knight.
"Tell them to visit later."
"That's..."
The escort knight wore a troubled expression.
"Since the matter is so urgent, they say they wish to have an audience immediately, even if it means swallowing their apologies."
"What?"
"What should I do..?"
Dietrich wore a look of deep annoyance, then finally let out a sigh. He then nodded as if to say he understood and replied.
“Come on in.”
No sooner had the words been spoken than the door opened.
Fenrir glanced at Presepe with a stiff, rigid face before staring at Dietrich, while Ella followed behind him with a face devoid of color, as if she had committed a grave sin.
"I greet Your Majesty."
"What's the matter?"
At Dietrich's low voice, Fenrir bowed respectfully and continued speaking.
"Your Majesty, do you know this lady-in-waiting?"
Dietrich's gaze turned to Ella.
"Isn't she a handmaiden serving Presepe?"
As she was a lady-in-waiting who followed Presepe wherever she went, Dietrich certainly knew her.
"You didn't go through all this just to introduce Presepe's lady-in-waiting to me, did you, Grand Duke Fenrir?"
Coldness was dripping from Dietrich's voice, but surprisingly, Fenrir seemed not to care at all.
"Worried about the matter at the church, I investigated Ella, the lady-in-waiting who accompanied Lady Presepe to the church at the time. You must remember, Your Majesty, for saying that you would grant me authority regarding any matter concerning Your Majesty's safety."
“What does that matter now...?"
"However, I discovered these things in the maid's quarters."
Fenrir handed what he was holding to Dietrich...
Dietrich's eyes trembled violently as he checked the contents.
"This is a letter written in code. It appears that they have been in constant collusion with a rebellious faction outside the imperial palace."
"..."
"Becoming Lady Presepe's lady-in-waiting was also to find out information about Your Majesty."
So, the culprit of this damn incident was Ella from the beginning.
As the Empress's death anniversary approached, poor Presepe in the game worried about Dietrich and told Ella to have the ladies-in-waiting look after him.
Ella's approach to Presepe was also purely due to the reason Fenrir had mentioned.
Dietrich, being a human with some intelligence, seemed to realize belatedly how things had unfolded once he saw the evidence with his own eyes.
"..."
Presepe looked clearly flustered as she glanced back and forth between Fenrir and Dietrich.
Well, things worked out the way I wanted them to, and the timing of the appearance was good, but...
"And it is said that Noah DeVern has died."
...What?
This time, Presepe's eyes shook violently.
"He was found dead at the mansion, and I heard that he was discovered late because he didn't have any particular acquaintances at the townhouse, and unfortunately, the servants had also been given leave."
Dead? Like Attar?
Why again?
"It is presumed that he died on the spot after his neck was bitten off by a beast-like creature, but it is said that the only things found at the scene were the collectibles and Noah DeVern's body."
"That happened right in the middle of the capital? A beast?!"
It seemed that Presepe was not the only one taken aback by this sudden news. Dietrich was no exception.
He looked at Fenrir with a look of disbelief, and Fenrir continued speaking with an inscrutable face.
There is talk in the Magic Tower that black magic or curses were used, so Archmage Ivan is scheduled to visit.
"It hasn't been that long since Prince Attar died so suspiciously...!"
"Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to say."
Fenrir pursed his lips with an expressionless face.
"You must have heard. Your Majesty, that Lady Presepe and the lady-in-waiting witnessed a suspicious person at the church."
"..."
"It was the same with Prince Attar. Lady Presepe was the last person Prince Attar met just before his tragic end, and Noah DeVern was also present at that moment."
"Why me all of a sudden? I thought he had been taking my side all this time, but was that not the case?" A look of bewilderment appeared on Presepe's face.
"They are all dead, and even Ella, her closest attendant, was communicating with the rebels. Furthermore, Lady Presepe even personally encountered a suspicious figure at the church just yesterday."
"There is something I want to say...”
Dietrich asked in a cracking voice.
"What is it? Grand Duke Fenrir."
"I think..."
"..."
"I suspect that someone is targeting Lady Presepe."
"What?"
"She has narrowly escaped it so far, but she shouldn't just expect to luckily avoid it next time. Therefore."
"..."
"I suggest we escort Lady Presepe out of the Imperial Palace to ensure her safety."
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment