TSFHA - Part 2 Chapter 21



Today, Nike suggested we look around the estate. Since the festival had just started, there was quite a bit to see.

I glanced, stealing a look at Nike, who was walking beside me.

That sculpted beauty, lost in deep thought...

"Today is the last day."

“Oh, are you going back tomorrow?”

“Yeah. Ryan is back this evening, so let’s meet up and see each other at dawn.”

"What? You should leave when it gets light."

"I've left the Order empty for too long."

...That’s true. A man who used to work non-stop, splitting his 24 hours a day, spent ten days here just eating, sleeping, and playing.

He was probably constantly anxious about being away from the Knights for such a long time.

'It's a shame...'

It was a shame, but on the other hand, I felt relieved. Because now I don't need to worry about hiding my physical condition.

"No one recognizes me."

"Yes?"

I looked around.

True to his word, no villagers recognized us amidst the crowd.

Even though Nike comes here often, his range of movement is limited, so naturally, he isn't a familiar face, and I...

"It’s because I hardly ever go out to the estate. Dad and Brother Merchen go around inspecting the estate, but... for some reason, it just doesn’t quite fit in with me."

"I see."

For some reason, my heart was pounding ominously.

“Merchen seemed busy. It looked like he was taking over the Lord’s duties. What do you do?”

Hoooooh!

“I do help out, too. Perhaps because he is a former Prince, he handles things well thanks to his experience in state affairs...”

"When are you having your meal?"

"Me?"

"Yes."

Something terrible has happened. It's an emergency.

Nike is interrogating me right now.

Why?

Because it's suspicious.

He wonders why I’m stuck in my room all the time. He wonders why, even when I do go out and wander around, it’s only half a day.

Honestly, I could have gotten away with it for a day or two, but ten days was a bit too much.

"My sleep and meal times are irregular. I sleep during the day and eat at dawn..."

"Vania."

"Yes."

Nike stopped. Then, turning to me, he asked.

"Are you sick?"

"No? Do I look sick?"

“...”

Nike stared intently at my face, then started walking again.

"That's not the case."

“Yes, haha. It’s because my lifestyle isn’t quite set in stone yet. I get tired often, but I don’t have any aches or pains.”

I just need to hold out for one more day. Just one day.

Let's make sure he never finds out.

Because if this man finds out that I tried to help him even at the cost of ruining my own body, he won't be able to sleep out of guilt.

"You know I can't possibly get sick."

I covered my mouth and laughed while speaking in a whisper.

Nike looked at me.

He knows that I, possessing both the Restoration of Light and the Fountain of Purification, can heal myself, whether external or internal.

So, if I were an ordinary person, he would have been certain I was sick by now, but he's still not quite sure.

“...Yeah. Then that’s a relief.”

***

The afternoon when the sun began to set.

A festival was held in the estate awaiting the Lord's return, and preparations for a party were in full swing in the Belzer Castle Garden.

“Fly the fruit box over there!”

“Knight, could you move the barbecue grill over here?”

“Yes.”

Max was also among them. This was because all the knights had gathered and were busy helping the castle's servants.

On one side, the smell of grilling barbecue wafted out, and on the other, the bursting scent of melon stung his nose.

“Bella, look at this?”

Max, who was moving the grill, noticed his colleague Jack struggling to squeeze a large melon between his elbows.

Not yet,

Bang!

The hard melon was broken by the strength of the arm.

"Oh!"

Bella blushed, perhaps pleased by Jack's display of strength. She is the maid whom Jack is currently courting.

“What do you think? Isn’t it awesome?”

"That's cool~."

“Hahahahaha!”

They're just playing around. Since most of the servants at Belzer Castle are young men and women, this kind of scene can often be witnessed.

Youth. And love.

'What is love, anyway...'

Max shook his head, recalling how the young woman who used to catch bugs nonchalantly let out a scream in front of her lover in just one second.

"Everyone looks like they're having fun."

Just then, someone approached Max.

The Third Prince's aide, Reiner Cruiser. The Third Prince, who had followed behind, was also visible.

Max greeted.

“Sir Reiner, have you arrived already?”

"Will we hold a welcoming ceremony here when the Lord returns?"

“Yes, that is correct. I was actually planning to go escort His Royal Highness the Prince and Sir Reiner as soon as the Lord arrived.”

“I see. But isn’t Lady Belzer coming out? She hardly ever comes out.”

Max saw Reiner's gaze quickly scanning the surroundings.

"By any chance."

Rainer asked in a whisper.

“Is the young lady not feeling well? Does she have some kind of chronic illness...”

Oh no!

Max's heart pounded.

'Yeah, honestly, it was strange that it got away without getting caught.'

Going out only for a limited time each day. The rest of the time, using work as an excuse. Never once having a meal with guests.

It would have been foolish not to deduce Vania's physical condition.

But he has to hide it somehow.

"Many of you are worried. However, my young lady is so thin that she lacks stamina. It’s not a chronic illness, but she gets tired often."

"Oho."

Max realized. The reason why Reiner and Nike appeared here now.

It is probably an attempt to subtly gauge the servants' condition regarding Vania.

'Don't get caught!'

Max saw Nike approaching the castle's cook and ran quickly.

Just then, Nike's words were heard.

"Do you prepare young ladies' meals as well?"

Aaaaaaaah!

"Yes, of course."

Duncan, the cook who has been in charge of the lord's family's meals for three years, answered while slicing the barbecue.

“Is the menu the same as the others? I’ve never seen her eat.”

Aaaaaaaah!

It has been a long time since Cook Duncan prepared Vania's meals separately as patient meals.

“Yes, it is the same, isn’t it? However, since her meal times are irregular, I usually prepare a separate meal for her.”

Contrary to Max's concerns, Duncan naturally retorted, like a well-trained person.

“...I see.”

Nike stroked his chin and fell into thought. Then he spotted Max standing beside him.

“Haha, Your Highness! The festival is in full swing outside right now. Have you gone out to see the village?”

"I'm fine."

"Is that so? Then let's all enjoy ourselves here! The Lord will be arriving soon, after all."

"Yes."

Nike’s gaze scanned the surroundings. It was the look of someone searching for someone to rob to get information.

Max's mouth was extremely dry.

Even if they have been kept quiet, if he interrogates them sharply, there is no guarantee that not a single one of these many servants will make a mistake!

"Ha ha ha!"

"Oh my, that's cool!"

Bang!

Just then, Jack, who was engrossed in smashing melons, was spotted. That's it. Max quickly grabbed a melon and headed toward Nike.

"Your Highness, could you help me with this?"

Max mimicked Jack, who had inwardly clicked his tongue in disapproval. The melon stuck between his forearms,

Bang!

“....”

Nike stared blankly.

He seemed to look at Max with pity for doing such a thing.

“Why would you do something like this...”

Ugh, just as I thought!

"The young lady really likes melon bread."

Just then, Cook Duncan's covering fire!

"We grind the fruit pulp and bake it. Everyone is just helping with the preparation."

“Oh, do you make sure to eat snacks too?”

"Of course, without fail. She likes it even more than meals, so I'm a little worried, though."

It was perfect. Max, relieved, held the melon to Nike again.

“Your Highness, please help me too! It really relieves stress, so give it a try!”

If the shirt gets dirty, let's tell them to go wash it!

“...”

Nike, wearing a reluctant expression, had no choice but to accept the melon.

Of course, he didn't do the foolish thing of crushing the flesh with his arm strength. He simply picked up a kitchen knife that was lying on the counter.

"Your Highness, show me some strength too!"

"You don't have to do it that stupidly."

I'm screwed!

As Nike instinctively plunged the knife into the melon rind, he looked around again.

'Ah, seriously, please stop!'

Max wanted to cry.

Vania absolutely does not want Nike to know about her condition. He would like to help a young lady like that, but...

'Honestly, how can you hide it when you’re not even showing your face in the same room?'

Ryan is returning soon.

A daughter who stays in her room even though her father has returned? Does that make sense?

It would be really nice if Vania appeared like magic at a time like this to clear up the suspicions...

“Uh oh~?!”

Something magical happened.

Perfect timing!

Max spotted a young lady who had come out accompanied by a maid, dressed up like a splendid peacock.


Previous                Next



Comments