HPBLL - Chapter 37



“Wild strawberries?”

Kendrick saw the servants rushing to the kitchen and bringing out strawberries on a plate. Stella shook her head as if to say that wasn't the case.

"Not this one, I mean freshly picked wild strawberries."

At this, Kendrick tried to have someone do it, but Stella shook her head again.

"Not the one someone else brought."

Stella tapped Kendrick's cheek.

"I want to eat the wild strawberries you picked."

Kendrick was puzzled by Stella's sudden request.

"I don't want to put any other food in my mouth until I eat those wild strawberries."

However, since Stella had gone so far as to say this, he couldn't help but move. There was a very small mountain near Duke Adrian's mansion. A mountain that could even be called a hill. There were likely wild strawberries there.

"Alright. I'll be back before the food gets cold, so please wait just a moment."

***

Stella rested her chin on her hand and waited for him to return.

'Did I go too far? To ask someone with an injured hand to go pick wild strawberries.'

The delicious food laid out before her eyes was growing cold.

'Kendrick must be hungry since it's before he's eaten, too.'

She debated whether she should tell him to come back even now, but she didn't take action.

'I have to make Kendrick hate me. Until he's sick and tired of me.'

That way, even if she died of loneliness, the aftereffects wouldn't be severe. Stella was lost in such blank thoughts. She saw the kitchen servants glancing at her nervously. Stella smiled kindly at them.

"The food smells really good."

There probably won't be a third chance. If so, this might be the last time she smells this food, tastes it, and converses and greets others.

'Let's try to live as best we can.'

Two hours had passed since she had composed herself. Only then did Kendrick appear, holding wild strawberries in his hand. His hair was slightly disheveled, but other than that, not much had changed. Perhaps because he had come straight to the restaurant, the chef brought a plate belatedly. Kendrick placed a handful of wild strawberries on the plate.

Then Stella noticed the small wounds on Kendrick's arm.

"Why is your arm injured like this?"

"Because wild strawberry bushes have thorns."

'Isn't a servant usually supposed to do that? Surely not...?'

Did you go up the mountain alone?

Stella's eyes widened. She reached out to check if there were any major injuries, but then withdrew her hand.

'No way. If you do this, there is no point in bothering you to pick the wild strawberries yourself.'

Kendrick stared intently at Stella. She awkwardly lowered her hands. The chef washed the strawberries and brought them out. Under Kendrick's gaze, Stella put a wild strawberry into her mouth. Kendrick smiled broadly, as if satisfied.

"How is it?"

The juice of the wild strawberries spread in her mouth. A sweet and sour aroma filled her mouth.

"It's refreshing."

Stella gently pushed the plate containing the wild strawberries.

“I shouldn't have eaten that.”

She smiled broadly.

'Wild strawberries are naturally sour, but...'

The chef felt anxious.

'The Duke went to such trouble to get this, so surely she wouldn't refuse to eat it.'

Stella smiled and met the chef's eyes.

"Take this and share it with the kitchen staff."

"Yes, yes. Understood."

The chef stepped back with the wild strawberries, unable to hide his bewilderment.

"I should have picked some tastier wild strawberries."

Contrary to Stella's expectations, Kendrick wore a disappointed expression. Stella was flustered. Huh, this isn't right. Since I wasted my time, his expression should be crumpled and his tone cold. Hmm... Stella groaned inwardly. Kendrick looked at her.

"Now, I kept my promise, so you keep yours too."

"Huh? What do you mean by that?"

"You said you wouldn't eat until I picked wild strawberries. Now that I've picked them, you do as I please."

Kendrick grinned.

"Eat double what you usually eat. That way, you'll gain some weight."

Stella wore a dazed expression.

'So, did you go to the mountain and pick strawberries to feed me a lot...?'

Kendrick took a seat next to Stella and watched intently to make sure she was eating properly. He poked her cheek as she chewed her bread and even peeled the shrimp she liked for her.

'You're so sweet.'

Stella frowned as she ate whatever Kendrick offered her. Her heart was softening as he acted so affectionately. Stella pondered deeply what she should do next.

"It's nice to see you eating well."

Kendrick chuckled as he watched Stella munching on her food, unaware of what was going on inside her head.

***

Stella pondered for a long time on how best to torment Kendrick. However, no suitable method came to mind. She could have engaged in erratic behavior, such as biting his arm or breaking a window, but she didn't think that would be a good idea.

'They might have to have me consult a psychiatrist again.'

Stella casually asked Roy, her only friend.

"Roy."

"Why?"

"What is the most painful thing for you?"

Roy frowned, perhaps because it was an unexpected question.

"What?"

"So... I'm asking because of the novel, but when do people suffer the most, and when do they come to dislike the other person?"

Roy said as if it were easy.

"When what I cherish most belongs to someone else, it is painful, and I would hate that person."

Because it was a thought he always had while looking at Stella.

"Something to cherish?"

Stella's pure purple eyes were filled with interest.

"For example?"

Roy grinned slyly. He quickly came up with another excuse.

"Well, if you think about it in terms of human relationships, there would be the element of sowing discord between friends. I would drive you apart from your friend that way, and then I would take that friend away."

"Hmm, that would certainly make you angry."

'But there isn't really a friend stuck between Kendrick and me.'

Stella tapped her fingers on the desk while racking her brain.

"Then Roy was upset too because you lost a friend?"

"No."

Strangely, Roy found it difficult to lie in front of Stella. He slyly covered the corners of his mouth, which had stiffened in embarrassment, with his sleeve and smiled slyly again.

"I just imagined it, just imagined it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a person; there are things like status. I’ve become a Marquis now, so how painful would it be if my father told me to hand over the title to another brother? I’d be angry, too."

Stella nodded.

'Angry.'

Indeed, listening to Roy, it seemed there was nothing more infuriating than having one's possessions taken away so absurdly.

'But I have no ambition for the position of Duke. Should I insist on becoming the Duke?'

It was ridiculous just thinking about it. To think that someone who was about to leave would wear the title of Duke. However, she was curious to see how Kendrick would react. Roy rested his chin on his hand, smiled gently, and asked.

"Why? Do you want to bully someone?"

"Huh? Oh, no."

Stella shook her head.

***

"Kendrick, I have a favor to ask."

"What is it?"

"You promise you'll grant me anything."

Kendrick nodded. Then he held out his little finger. Stella linked her little finger with his and even stamped it firmly. Stella looked up at him with a cautious expression. Kendrick still gazed at Stella as if she were lovely.

"I want to become a Duke."

"Duke...?"

'Does that mean you intend to establish a new family?'

Kendrick felt anxious because it seemed like Stella was saying she would leave Adrian.

"Yes. I'm sick of living as a Duchess. I'll be the Duke now, so Kendrick, you live as the Duke's husband."

Kendrick burst out laughing. Fortunately, it wasn't that Stella was leaving. Moreover, wanting to become a Duke? It was a completely unexpected idea. At most, he thought she would ask him to pick wild strawberries or catch a wild boar like last time.

"Why are you laughing?"

Kendrick couldn't hide his smile despite her serious expression.

"It must be so cute."

Stella didn't expect Kendrick to burst into laughter like this.

"What is it?"

"I mean, you're attending the meeting seriously as a Duke."

It was really embarrassing. Without knowing Stella's feelings, Kendrick imagined Stella performing her duties as a Duke.

"Attending a political meeting in a suit."

Kendrick bent down and met Stella's eyes. Then he pressed his head down low and stroked it.

"I think it'll be sexy. I want to see it."

'Is this man crazy?'

Stella's face turned red, and she bit her lip tightly. Kendrick burst into laughter again.

"Yes. From now on, you do the work."

Kendrick chuckled. Stella fanned herself.

'What's wrong? Why am I the one getting angry instead of Kendrick?'

In fact, she thought that Kendrick might willingly give up the dukedom. On the contrary, she also thought she might hear him say that he would not do that, as he had lived his entire life for the position of Duke.

"Then we can officially stay together from now on."

"Huh? Why?"

"Since you will be the next Duke, shouldn't you receive the proper training? Have me accompany you to meetings. You need to sit next to me and learn the ropes. As the Duke's duties involve a lot of paperwork, I will need to teach you that as well."

"Ha..."

Just as she expected. It was a completely unexpected turn of events. He had always worn such a dignified expression before, but seeing him smiling broadly felt unfamiliar yet also endearing. It was an innocent face she had never seen before the regression.

'He's a man who can smile like this.'

Why did I only make his life difficult?

Kendrick held Stella's hand tightly.

"Preparing to become a Duke will keep you busy, so it will be difficult to write."

On the outside, he was trying to look disappointed, but his eyes were smiling.

"It would be hard to become an imperial writer, too."

To Stella, those words were tantamount to telling her to give up on life. However, Kendrick, unaware of the circumstances, was clearly enjoying the thought that she would never be able to bring up the topic of divorce again.

'This operation is a failure, too.'

Stella slyly pushed Kendrick away with a somber expression.

"Never mind. It was all a joke."

"How could that be? No way. I promised I would definitely grant your wish."

Stella and Kendrick had a ridiculous argument.

"I told you I'm fine."

"Then, grant me a wish in exchange for canceling the promise."

"What is it?"

"I know you're busy, but please spare me just one day."

Stella made a face as if to say, "What's so hard about that?"

"Was there an event at the Duke's estate?"

'Or are they going to meet the former Duke and Duchess?'

Kendrick shook his head.

"Don't write on that day, just give me the whole day."

"Ah... that's a bit difficult."

"Then, starting tomorrow, follow me around and receive training as the Duke's successor."

Stella looked flustered by his mischievous prank.

"Yes. I'll make time for just one day."

Stella started thinking once again about what to do to make Kendrick lose interest in her.


Previous                Next



Comments