RAMBYM - Chapter 57



57. How can I get you to marry me?


You are the pretty one.

Diarin couldn't bring herself to say it, but Ceres did.

“It seems that the flowers that were in bud in the morning have bloomed red after the sun has risen.”

“...”

Oh, stop it.

What should I do with this child's expressiveness?

She never been in that social circle, so she doesn't know if it's good or bad.

By the standards of the priests, their hands and feet were curled like morning glory petals falling in the evening.

She used all kinds of excuses, and it was sincere.

Just the expression alone made her hands and feet go cold, but when she was sincere, she didn't know what to do with herself, so she couldn't keep her whole body still.

Maybe this Ceres kid is a really high-level player.

Are you trying to brainwash people by confusing them like this and telling them to stay by your side and not leave?

Right now, Diarin feels like she can do that, and she's just feeling that way.

She became awkward with herself.

"I love you!"

“?”

At that moment, a loud man's shout rang out from the square.

The voice was so loud that everyone passing by turned to look.

“What, what?”

“I guess he’s proposing publicly!”

"Wow!"

Diarin's eyes naturally turned in that direction.

As Diarin's eyes turned, Ceres's eyes followed suit.

A man and a woman were standing facing each other in the middle of a square not far away.

“You! From the moment I first met you! My world! Was all about you!”

“Wow!”

People cheered.

The man's face was filled with confidence as he heard the cheers.

“Now! Forever! I want to be with you!”

“Wow!”

The man fumbled around and took out a ring from his pocket.

The woman standing across from him hesitated and took a step back.

But the man charged fiercely.

“Will you! Marry me!”

A man knelt down on one knee in front of the woman like a knight and held out a ring.

Her heart is pounding.

People's eyes, filled with curiosity and anticipation, surrounded the two people.

“No! You crazy bastard! You thought I’d do this in a crowded place?! Ugh, I fucking hate you!”

“Huh, what?!”

But the result was a huge failure.

The woman left the square without looking back.

A cool breeze filled the square.

The man left alone turned into a stone statue, unable to move, holding out the ring.

“Oh, what should I do?”

“Miserable.”

People passed by the man, seemingly sympathizing but also laughing.

The crowd that had gathered in droves quickly dispersed.

An unfortunate man is left alone.

Diarin also clicked her tongue and shook her head.

"Yes. See, Mr. Ceres? Relationships between people shouldn't be unilaterally pushed by one person."

But Ceres' thoughts were elsewhere.

Marriage.

A strange light appeared in Ceres' eyes.

Ceres also knew what marriage was by reading about it in books.

When he read about it in a book, he thought it had nothing to do with him, so he just ignored it.

Marriage is a promise to continue being together.

"Marriage."

"...Huh?"

Ceres' voice was meaningful.

“So if that woman accepts the marriage, will they continue to be together?”

"That's right. So, when it comes to marriage, you have to carefully determine if the other person is mentally ready before you propose. Once you get married, you can't cancel."

In reality, divorce does not exist in this world.

In order for a marriage to be officially recognized, a wedding ceremony must be held in a temple.

It is the process of saying that two souls are bound together as one before God.

Then, you receive a confirmation from the priest and submit a marriage registration.

If you report to God that the two have become one, how can you say anything later and separate?

So there is no official divorce, and once married, it lasts until death.

If you feel like you can't live together anymore, you can replace divorce with just living apart.

Only national marriages are officially dissolved through divorce.

The marriage involved the interests of the temple, so the priests would go to a god who was not there and sit down to confirm the divorce.

Since ordinary people don't get married for the sake of the nation, marriage ultimately lasts a lifetime.

“How can I get Diarin to marry me?”

“...”

Somehow, even as he spoke, she felt a chill.

Why did I go and blab on and on about marriage?

Diarin closed her eyes tightly and sealed her mouth tightly.

But to pick up the words that had already spilled out... Ceres picked them up too well.

It was very full; if it were grain, it was picked up tightly without spilling a single grain.

“Diarin.”

“...”

Diarin quickened her pace as if she hadn't heard.

I didn't hear it. I can't hear it.

But even if Diarin ran, it was only one step behind Ceres.

“Gasp, gasp, gasp...”

Diarin finally stopped moving, breathing heavily.

Ceres leisurely approached and stood beside her.

Of course, not a single breath was disturbed.

“Diarin, how can I get married...”

This stubborn beast!

I'm truly grateful I haven't lost my mind, but now it's just too much!

“I won’t. I won’t. No, I can’t!”

"Why?"

“I am a priest. Priests can’t get married!”

"Why?"

“A priest's life is sacred!”

Ceres became quite serious at those words.

“So, if I fight God and win, will I be okay?”

"...what...?"

Diarin's jaw almost dropped at the most absurd thing she had ever heard in the world.

Even if it was a joke, she would have collapsed, but it was serious.

“Is God good at fighting?”

“...What...you...”

Now, even the name ‘Ceres’ doesn’t come up.

When people are so shocked, they seem to forget what to say.

Diarin couldn't continue speaking, only trembling as she pointed her finger at Ceres.

While Diarin's thoughts were frozen in absurdity, Ceres calmly thought back on what Diarin had said and found a solution.

“I can bring money.”

“...Yes, what did you say, Mr. Ceres?”

“If I bring you money, you’ll quit being a priest...”

“...”

Which damn mouth said that?

This one? Damn it.

Diarin pondered something she'd never considered before in her life: whether another personality might exist within her own snout.

“Being a priest isn't something you can just quit so easily, Mr. Ceres.”

“How do you quit?”

"How do you quit...?"

Ceres' question was pure.

There was no intention behind it; it was just a question about what was going on.

Nor was it hindered by the various rules of the world.

In some ways, it was destructive, and in other ways, it was infinitely clear.

It was a transparency that was too difficult for Diarin, who was worn and tattered by the world's hardships, to handle.

Is this what it feels like to meet God?

The weight of a being that makes you look deep into your inner self, splash into the well of your heart, and in an instant, you reach the bottom.

'I'm quitting the priesthood?'

She never thought about it in her life.

From the moment she entered the temple, she naturally assumed that this would be her new home for the rest of her life.

She had a family, but nowhere to return to.

And, living as a priest was quite suitable for her aptitude.

There were times when she had to do things she didn't want to do, and when she was unfairly treated like a thief or had her performance stolen, she wanted to throw it all away, but she never thought about quitting her job.

But the priesthood is different from marriage.

There is something called conversion.

'It's easy to quit.'

Take off your priestly robe, return it, and say, "I will live closer to humans than to gods." All you have to do is say one word.

The position of priest was not mandatory.

Everyone regrets not being able to enter the temple, but why would the temple itself be so eager to hold onto the priests?

If she quit, the only one who would lose out would be the priest.

But it wasn't like there were no people who quit.

They are usually the daughters of noble families.

They were able to make a living regardless of whether they quit immediately or not, but when there were not enough girls among the siblings for political marriages, they were taken away again.

In very rare cases, there were girls who got tired of it and ran away.

Since they were originally wealthy people, they did not receive the cold treatment that was often showered on those who returned to secular life.

‘What about me?’

What if, as absurd as it may sound, the day comes when you have to quit being a priest?

Diarin thought deeply as she walked.

“First of all, I need a house where I can live comfortably until I die...”

"House."

Ceres followed Diarin's words as if engraving them in his mind.

"Yes, a house. Not a house I pay rent for, but my own. A house that's mine, and no one can kick me out until I die."

She doesn't even dream of the mansion she is living in now.

A house that doesn't leak, doesn't have rats, and is well-maintained enough that it's not difficult to open and close the doors.

She could lie in bed and stretch out her arms and legs, and be satisfied as long as they didn't touch the wall.

If possible, it would be better if the space were just wide enough to distinguish between the desk where you sit and read a book, and the dining table where you eat.

“And money, right?”

"Money."

Diarin is not a person who spends a lot of money on extravagance.

Of course, as humans, we might want to indulge ourselves once in a while, but that desire wasn't that great.

There are people whose desires are so strong that they become sick and bedridden because they don't have it.

Money, although it was incredibly revealing, was more of a survival activity for one's own comfortable life.

Money that can buy what you want to eat when you're hungry, money that can repair or buy a new item right away when it breaks, so you don't have to worry.

'And what else is there...'

She felt like she had everything she needed to live, so nothing else came to mind.

'I was simple.'

How can someone be so honest?

Diarin admired herself.

Isn't this the true God?

If you believe that 'what is a priest!', then it would not be an exaggeration to say 'it's someone like Diarin!'

If I am satisfied with the life of a priest like this, do I really have to quit being a priest?

"Ah. I remembered what I needed to quit the priesthood."


Previous                Next




Comments