THIBV - Chapter 10



Penelope was furious when she heard that Isaac had released Bridget from her captivity without telling her.

"That's ridiculous! I didn't even hear an apology from Bridget!"

She couldn't believe that Bridget had been released not because Isaac had begged her to apologize to her, but because of an invitation to a social party.

Penelope whined as soon as Isaac came into the bedroom at night.

"Why did you just let Bridget go? I still feel wronged."

"Two days should be enough time to reflect. Stop feeling bad, Penelope."

Isaac hummed and patted Penelope's shoulder a couple of times.

He was in a good mood all day long, excited to be going to a party with nobles.

"If she had reflected on it, she would have come to me a long time ago and apologized! Bridget didn't even come to see me."

Penelope crossed her arms and looked at Isaac with a sour look on her face.

Isaac didn't even look at Penelope's expression and just calmed her down while lying on the bed.

"She will apologize."

His mind was busy thinking about what to wear to the party.

Penelope, realizing that Isaac wasn't really interested in her, wanted to push and complain more, but she kept her mouth shut.

She thought it would be no good for her to nag Isaac, who was so excited because of Bridget.

Penelope, lying next to Isaac who was humming, intentionally rolled over to make a sound, hoping that he wouId notice her mood.

But Isaac muttered, not even knowing that Penelope was angry.

"I think it would be a good idea to learn proper etiquette this time. Where should I hire a teacher..."

Penelope clutched the quilt with trembling hands.

'My face! My pride...!!'

But she couldn't bring herself to ask Isaac about that.

Penelope couldn't say anything and was quietly grumbling to herself when she heard Isaac snoring next to her.

'Ugh...!'

Penelope spent the rest of the night silently tearing at her pillow.

***

For several days, Isaac was busy preparing to look perfect for his first-ever high-society party.

He paid several times more to the costume shop to have me make clothes, and he also hired an etiquette teacher to take lessons in etiquette.

Since a person who was not even allowed to attend social gatherings could not hire a nobleman, the person hired as an etiquette teacher was a man who had worked as a servant in the royal palace a long time ago.

It seemed ridiculous to me, but I left it alone because I found Isaac's antics funny.

Meanwhile, Penelope was silent.

Sometimes when we met in the hallway, she would turn around and go the other way.

Yet she constantly lingered in my sight as if she hoped I would feel guilty and approach her first to apologize.

I left Penelope alone.

So the day of the party arrived.

I wore a dress with lots of jewels and lace.

This was the dress Isaac had prepared for this party.

'It's like an over-packaged bouquet of candy that's been given too much thought to be put into fancy packaging.'

Isaac wasn't entirely wrong, as many people like pretty candy bouquets.

It will certainly impress upon people how wealthy the Winston family is.

In the carriage, me and Isaac did not say a word until we arrived at the Marquis of Cavendish's mansion.

When we reached our destination, Isaac affectionately extended his hand to me as I got out of the carriage.

"Catch me, Bridget."

For a moment, I wondered if Isaac had mistaken me for Penelope.

He was so happy to be able to attend such an aristocratic party thanks to his noble wife that he felt like he was beside me.

"I'll get off when I see fit."

"Even if you try to catch It."

Isaac frowned.

It seemed like he wanted to pretend to be a loving couple in front of people.

Isaac still didn't understand the meaning of this place.

'Even so, it would just be a laughing stock.'

I took Isaac's hand and got out of the carriage, linking arms as he told me to do.

Since I came here to be humiliated, there was nothing I couldn't do.

Isaac smiled affectionately again as if satisfied only when I behaved more obediently.

As we entered the wide-open front door, the middle-aged Marchioness Cavendish, who was welcoming guests, recognized the two of us by the names written on the invitation. 

"Oh my. Viscountess Winston is here! The person next to you must be Viscount Winston, right?"

"Thank you for the invitation, Marchioness Cavendish."

"Nice to meet you, Ma'am."

Isaac kissed the back of the Marchioness's hand gracefully.

The Marchioness Cavendish laughed heartily.

"I can see why you're so popular with the ladies, Viscount Winston! Is this how you win their hearts?"

"Yes?"

Isaac looked puzzled and bewildered, but the Marchioness Cavendish just smiled mischievously.

'Kissing the back of the hand has now become a greeting only between Iovers.'

Since about 30 years ago.

It seems that the etiquette teacher was from the old days and taught old etiquette.

The Marchioness Cavendish announced loudly the news of I and Isaac's visit to those around her.

Then, the people who had been talking to each other all showed interest in this direction, and a circle formed around the two people.

Someone asked Isaac a question.

"The lady next to you is definitely Viscountess Winston, right? I'm a little confused."

"Huh? What is that..."

"I'm confused as to whether it's another lady who stole Viscountess Winston's place! I guess that kind of thing happens these days."

It was a subtle satire on the life of a wife and a concubine living together and Penelope being accused of being a thief.

"How grumpy!"

"Ha ha ha!"

People burst out laughing at someone's mischievous joke.

In an instant, the atmosphere in the lobby heated up.

Isaac hadn't fully grasped the situation yet, but he knew that people were making fun of him and his expression hardened.

The Marchioness Cavendish quickly lightened the mood a bit, fearing that Viscount Winston and his wife would run off too quickly.

"I'll apologize for their rudeness. They're all being a bit naughty today. They must be drunk already. I brought out some good wine. You two should go and try it."

Even though she said that no one knew that she was satisfied with the picture she had wanted to create.

She pushed Isaac and me into the banquet hall.

"Please drink this wine. I have a place on my land called the Brenne estate, which produces very delicious grapes. It is made from grapes picked there."

"Brenne wine is famous. I know that well."

Isaac, who had been frozen, felt a little better at the attitude of Marchioness Cavendish, who was gently offering him wine.

The Marchioness Cavendish smiled wryly.

"Have a good time, you two, I have a guest to greet, then."

"Oh, yes."

So I and Isaac were left alone. In a situation like this, it was not polite for a person of lower rank to speak to a person of higher rank first unless they were on friendly terms.

So, the host should introduce the guest to other guests to avoid any misunderstandings, but Marchioness Cavendish's leaving the two behind was a deliberate act of ostracism.

But Isaac was convinced that the smiling, gentle Lady Cavendish was kind and hospitable.

"People know our situation and they're not joking, are they?"

Why not? Rumors here travel faster than light.

But I shrugged my shoulders, looking puzzled.

"Well, I don't know. I've never made my social debut before."

Although I never made my debut in high society, I did get a taste of the social culture of the aristocracy in my past life.

The noble ladies wanted to meet me privately after reading the gossip, and I foolishly believed that they would come to me with a smile and help me.

As a result, I was just a bunch of clowns and then I was thrown away.

I laughed self-deprecatingly as I remembered my past life when I had been upset after realizing too late that I had been used.

'I was naive.'

Among those who pretended to listen to my complaints but laughed at us was Mrs. Cavendish.


Previous            Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments