IHMEB - Chapter 285 < Birth >




“Me.”

Claudel whispered, unable to hide her shyness, and Kaian was set ablaze.

“I know.”

“But...!”

Kaian leisurely stroked her upper and lower lips alternately with his thumb, and when he pressed the plump lower part, the gap between her moist lips slightly opened.

“You’re busy, aren’t you?”

“That’s why I’m worried about you.”

“I’ve always been this busy before, so this is new.”

Claudel had nothing to say.

Before she became pregnant with Julien, Kaian would often come to bed around midnight and try to have her until dawn. Even then, he would wake up sharply and disappear before Claudel even woke up from her morning nap.

When they sat across from each other for lunch, he would yawn or look tired, but it was hard to find any trace of fatigue in him.

I knew he was a man with that much energy.

Is it because my heart is different that I keep telling myself that I can’t do too much and want to rest?

“You always say you’re fine and not tired, but I’m worried that you might get sick.”

“Are you worried about me?”

Kaian’s voice became quiet.

“Yeah.”

Claudel wrapped her arms around him with a loving gesture and hugged him tightly with a slight force.

The hungry lion’s stomach was filled with just a few words from her wife.

When Claudel took off the gown she was wearing, a thin linen nightgown that was barely visible was revealed.

“I didn’t really like this kind of fabric or have any taste for it before.”

Maybe because she always wore nightgowns made of this kind of material, when he could feel the curves of a woman flowing gently under his palm through the thin fabric, he finally felt like he was resting.

He held her lightly and headed to the bed.

Claudel let out a small sigh as Kaian gently stroked her body up and down her back with his fingertips and the back of his hand.

“Claudel. Show me something pretty.”

Her small, plump lips twisted as if she wanted to say something, and then the serious voice he had been waiting for came out.

“There’s nothing like that.”

“Don’t lie.”

Kaian reprimanded her as if he had been waiting for it.

“If you come out after searching, it’s all mine.”

“Ouch.”

Every time Claudel shivered, her dazzling white skin sparkled in the moonlight.

“You hid it well.”

“I never did that....”

Kaian babbled endlessly childishly and spent the whole night absorbed in his solo treasure hunt.

***

I didn’t remember Julien’s birthday.

The chaos I had experienced on the day of my baby’s birth was blurry and vague as if erased by something, even when I recalled it now. I had fled from a cruel and ruthless man, trembling, and had thought that I could never show my fragile life to my baby's father, who thought that the blood of Vermont would be mixed with it.

What was so sad?

Why did I leave, wanting to hurt him so deeply with betrayal, and ask him to treat me as dead, and why did I feel so hurt when I heard that Irena might become the next Duchess, even though I didn’t know? 

I was a crazy mother who had been so concerned about the prenatal care for the baby, only to ruin it all in an instant. I always blamed myself inwardly because I felt so sorry whenever I saw Julien. 

The midwife rushed in, pressing on my stomach and forcibly digging into my pelvis, saying that if my water broke early and I couldn’t deliver the baby, I would die.

The labor pains that tore through my body were painful, of course, but I also passed by half-passing out and waking up.

However, my life so far seemed to be alternately colored with pain and sadness as if I were better.

It felt like my throat was being strangled when Kaian, my only hope, turned into a familiar painful, and sad color.

When I thought that I had lost my child in hell at the end of my escape, I went completely crazy.

So how could I know what day it was?

Fortunately, Madame Repel was living with us and was very busy taking care of the baby, so when Kaian asked when the baby was born, I listened in.

Julien’s birthday was at the end of May when both the spring flowers and the early-blooming summer flowers were busy showing off their appearances.

‘Since we couldn’t have a birthday party, let’s have a celebration on his first birthday.’

When Kaian said that, I simply nodded.

I was grateful that he had told me the date first.

Julien.

Our blessed baby.

The baby, who had never been held in the arms of either of the parents who were happy on the day of birth, was expected to have his first birthday celebrated by his father and mother who adored him even more.

Madame Marcel entered the baby’s room quietly, even though she was busy with her assistants.

“Is the young master awake?”

I, who had been taking care of Julien with Leonie, greeted her with a smile.

“He seems to be in a good mood since he just woke up.”

“That’s great.”

Madame Marcel was busy making cute clothes for the baby to wear on his first birthday. She looked at the colors of the flowers that decorated the banquet hall several times, or the Temnes family crest, and made decorations by embroidering soft fabric with gold thread or changing the fabric of the clothes.

“It’s only going to be worn for one day anyway.”

I was very grateful that Madame Marcel was so creative.

However, in fact, even the butler had already changed the flower decorations in the banquet hall three times.

Julien was a very cute guy who didn’t shy away from strangers.

Every time they made eye contact with the baby, many adults in Rowen Castle felt sorry for not having welcomed him when he was born.

Everyone was waiting to celebrate Julien’s first birthday.

However, my heart was not simply filled with joy.

“Why are you making that face?”

While Madame Marcel was trying to dress Julien up and holding the baby, Leonie looked at my complexion for a moment.

“Mom.”

“Yes?”

“Can’t you not go to the Continent of Sol?”

I brought up the question I had been contemplating whether to say or not.

On the way from Valmonde to the capital, Evan and Leonie visited the village of Plogne. Since Plogne had completely burned down in a fire, it wasn’t really a village, but rather a place that used to be a village.

In any case, they wanted to go there once to check something, so they arrived at Rowen with a time difference and answered me and Hannah’s questions.

“The sacred tree has completely disappeared.”

Leonie’s face looked relieved as she told us what she had seen.

'The prophecy has finally come true. But Arbor, who swore a secret oath, no longer exists. I guess I can talk about this much.'

She seemed to be completely free from the contact point that was part of the myth.

For a while, Evan, who had been sharpening his blades toward Kaian as if he had not forgotten the old grudge between Vermont and Temnes, became dull.

When he spoke and acted as if he completely acknowledged Kaian as his son-in-law and my husband, the time they spent together eating and talking became natural.

'It feels like all the happiness I had lost has returned at once.'

I thought so sincerely.

My parents who had passed away, my husband who I had not been able to relate to, and my pitiful baby who had left alone were all by my side.

However, that happiness was short-lived.

Evan and Leonie declared to me that they would leave for the Sol Continent together.

"It's not like I'm going to go and not come back, right?"

My mood became even more depressed when Leonie spoke in a soothing tone.

"There's Kaian and Julien. If the three of you get along well, Mom and Hannah will come soon.”

That was the problem.

When Evan and Leonie said they would go to the Sol Continent, Hannah said she would take her young baby with her and go to the Sol Continent with Rohan.

Rohan was overjoyed when she said she would take the baby on the boat.

“I always wanted to show you the sea I see.”

It was a passage that made me think about what Hannah and Rohan usually talked about when they were dating.

Because of that, Hannah was hard to find in the castle these days. She often went to Rohan’s boat to prepare for the boat trip with the baby.

“Everyone else is leaving.”

I didn’t want to sound like I was complaining.

I know that everyone has their own life and important things.

However, I wonder if I had grown up poor, and had a twisted mind that I didn’t know about.

I wanted everyone to be by my side when they were having a good time. 

As I was trying to shake off my feelings of disappointment, Hannah came into the room with a cheerful step, holding the baby in her arms.

“Our little one also has a chance to get a set of clothes?”

Everyone in the room burst into laughter at the cheerful voice full of selfishness.

***

Julien’s birthday party was held very grandly and splendidly. People from all over the place and onlookers came to celebrate.

“Isn’t it grander than when Valquiterre came?”

“Oh dear. How dare you mention that name on such a beautiful day?”

“Oh my.”

As the nobles of the nearby territories and the serfs who had become freedmen from Pagos gathered to enjoy their freedom of movement, the tents that had been temporarily pitched outside the castle, large and small, were covered like scales all over the ground, and there was no end to them. 

When a tall, black-haired man appeared holding a child in his arms, everyone let out a gasp.

The baby’s red hair, which was pretty at first glance, fluttered in the wind as if it were a thin silk thread dyed red. When the baby, with his red-haired, gold-colored eyes clear under the midday sunlight, passed through the crowd, wrapped in a light-beige gown with gold-trimmed edges, everyone looked as if they were entranced.

“Do you know what a good day this is?”

I whispered to Kaian.

“Of course, he’s my son.”

Kaian’s nonchalant response was truly unbelievable.

When the crowd became quiet, Kaian, who had climbed up onto the high platform, spoke.

“Today is a meaningful day, my son’s first birthday.”

The lords of the territory who had built dams on the river and drained the lake water in the past years began to shed tears without realizing it.

“This is an occasion to celebrate the birth of a successor, so I hope you all enjoy it together.”

Waaaaaah.

Everyone cheered at Kaian’s words.

“And I would also like to take this opportunity to announce some good news.”

Those who had difficulty calming down their excitement finally became quiet again. Then, as if they had been preparing in advance, the lords of the other territories stepped up onto the stage one by one and lined up behind Kaian.

“From today, Rowen has gained independence from Oberon and the Rowen Kingdom has been born, and I hereby declare this widely!”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments