FYERIL - Chapter 76 < Things a Married Couple Can Do (3) >




There is a story that the true joy of the Foundation Day blooms on the last night. The grand after-party lit up the palace. The nobles, each beautifully adorned for the last day, gathered. The unofficial hosts of the splendid banquet were the Duke and Duchess. People let out exclamations as they looked at the two who matched well like a famous painting. 

'The Duke was actually the first to notice the Duchess's talent and fell in love with her. Oh, it's even more romantic when you find out.' 

'By the way, how much would it cost to have the aria she performed at the Foundation Day performed at my ball?' 

Ariana Heigenberg was by far the most popular topic among the nobility of the empire. Her Foundation Day performance captivated the audience in an instant. There was a rumor that even the Emperor was greatly pleased and praised her. The genius artist who appeared like a comet was not only a woman but also the main character who had recently caused a stir in the empire with a hot scandal. 

The nobles were eagerly watching each other to see who would speak to the Duke and Duchess first. It was around that time that an intruder appeared in the middle of the lively banquet. A man walked into the banquet hall with a slightly staggering gait. 

"... Ariana." 

The nobles who recognized the man, Edward Lopez, immediately frowned. 

"Oh my. He's the Count Lopez, right?" 

"No, he's not even a Count anymore. I heard he sold his title." 

"Oh my, how shameful of him to do something like that... Wait. Then doesn't that mean he's a commoner? How did he get into the palace?" 

Edward gritted his teeth as he listened to the blatant gossip.

"There's a rumor that the Duchess of Heigenberg has taken the title of Count Lopez... Of course, that's just a rumor, right?"

The shocking news that Adolf had told was true. The Lopez Countship that Edward had sold off really belonged to Ariana. From the moment he found out, Edward had tried to contact Ariana repeatedly. However, he was blocked every time by the fearsome Duke. In the end, he was barely allowed to enter the palace with the excuse of seeing Ariana in person and asking for forgiveness. 

"Ariana, you protected our family." 

Edward swallowed hard and continued, enduring the harsh stares of those around him, especially Dante's sharp stare. 

"Yes. There's no way you would let our family fall to another bastard." 

The voice that spoke to her in a friendly manner sounded very awkward. It was natural. It was a voice that he had never once spoken to Ariana in his life. Ariana smiled brightly as she watched Edward's lips twitching in awkwardness and contempt. 

"Well... That's not something the person who sold his title should say." 

"I was scammed by a terrible loan shark!" 

Edward shouted in a resentful voice. 

"If I couldn't pay him back right away, he would have hurt me. That's why I had no choice!" 

Ariana let out a bitter laugh. 

'Your personality of blaming others never changes.' 

Why is it that way? 

"I was wrong, Ariana." 

Edward said in a somber voice. 

"There were so many things I couldn't do for you. I just realized that now. When I looked back on what it would have been like in your position... I regret it so much." 

Edward swallowed and looked at Ariana's expression. 

"Can't you give me one more chance, Ariana? We're blood relatives. A bond made by blood is never easily broken." 

Ariana slowly turned her head and looked at Elena, who was standing behind Edward. When their eyes met, Elena smiled awkwardly. 

"Sister..."

As Elena moved her lips as if trying to start a conversation, Ariana spoke first. 

"I heard your apology, brother." 

Edward's expression was about to brighten. Ariana tilted her head slightly. 

"But why are you saying this now? Are you thinking that since I took back the Lopez title, you can get your family back if you just trick me?" 

Elena's expression became as hard as a stone, just like the awkward smile she had been. Ariana smiled faintly, looking back at Edward's distorted face. 

"No way. I believe you're not that naive." 

The veins on Edward's temples bulged. Ariana continued speaking without paying attention. 

"Of course, I understand that you're desperate and trying to grab onto even the last rope..." 

Ariana slowly looked back at the two of them. 

"Since you've come this far, I'll make it clear to you." 

A clear voice flowed out firmly. 

"You two are no longer Lopez, and you are no longer my family." 

Edward slowly opened his eyes wide. Even though things had come to this point, he still had a vague conviction inside him. If he bowed his head first, if he showed Ariana a gentle attitude that he had never shown her in his life, if he even repented his mistakes, Ariana would eventually reluctantly forgive him. Because that was the Ariana Lopez that Edward had seen all his life. Gentle, extremely observant, and hungry for affection. But the woman standing before Edward's eyes right now did not fit any of those adjectives. 

"So don't come to me again." 

Ariana smiled smoothly and drove the wedge in. 

"It's not like you can talk to me carelessly anymore." 

Edward's face turned dark red. The nobles around him said something as they watched the disgrace. 

"Oh my. You came here to ask for forgiveness for just a little tongue-twisting. The siblings are so shameless." 

"Elena, that woman also gave false testimony. She said Lucas tried to rape her, but in reality, they were just in love." 

"Did you see the article? Elena, the pharmacist she used to go to testified. She said she always got a prescription for a drug that helped with pregnancy." 

"Not only did she cheat on her sister's fiancé, but she also tried to have a child. What on earth was she thinking?" 

Everyone laughed at the two of them. Openly, without any hesitation. As if they were watching a monkey in a cage perform tricks, not a person. Feeling all those eyes on her skin, Elena instinctively realized, 'Ah. This is really the end.'

Her dream of becoming the flower of society. Her dream of becoming a brilliant soprano. All those ambitions had now burst like bubbles. Where the bubbles had burst, only a damp and miserable reality remained. 

"Ha... Hahaha." 

Elena let out a fit of laughter and glared at Ariana with venomous eyes. 

"The Marquis fell in love with me, and because of that, you hold a grudge against me and are doing this to me?" 

Elena half-gasped and laughed. 

"It's really so... petty and childish. But you know what? Do you really think I'm the only bad girl, sis?" 

Elena's eyes flashed with an eerie light. 

"If it wasn't me but someone else who became your sister, what would have been different? No, it would have been the same!" 

The gazes around her grew harsher as her voice grew louder. I know. This is just a tantrum. 

Even though she knew that, Elena couldn't stop spitting out her curses. If she didn't, she felt like her heart would burst from defeat and anger. Elena gritted her teeth and said.

"It wasn't my fault that I hated you, it was your fault. You always subtly emphasized that I was from a commoner family and you were a noble. As if it was natural for me to have an inferiority complex. You kept making me miserable like that!" 

Ariana said as a child when she was pointed out that Elena was holding her fork wrong. When Ariana pretended to be nice and suggested that Elena wear her dress to the girls' tea time because the sleeves of the dress she had been cherishing were actually worn out, Elena felt a deep sense of humiliation every time. 

She was my sister too. We had the same father. Why did she look so different from me? 

Jealousy gave birth to irritation, and irritation soon became twisted hatred. Elena, recalling her old memories, gasped, lowered her voice, and whispered. 

"Wasn't that why the Marquis got tired of you and showed interest in me? You make people sick. You really make me sick!" 

Ariana slowly blinked her eyes as she faced the poisonous criticism. 

'Yes, Elena.' 

Why didn't I think that way? 

Even after going back in time, such thoughts would creep into me like nightmares deep into the night, keeping me up at night. Was Lucas cheating because I was lacking? Was Edward hating me because I was lacking? Was all that happening because I was lacking? 

Numerous worries had never yielded a clear answer. But now, it seemed like she had a clear answer. Ariana took a step closer to Elena.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments