FYERIL - Chapter 70 < The Real Abyss (1) >




"Count Lopez was a classmate of His Highness the Prince's at the art academy, don't you know him?" 

"Yes? Was he? What's his name?" 

"Edward Lopez, I think."

Michael tilted his head. It was a strangely unmemorable name. 

"It seems he didn't stand out much during his time in school. However, he must have honed his skills a lot, so he was able to advance to the founding team." 

Lopez. Now that he thinks about it, that lady he saw during the day...

"Oh, you mean that lady? Ariana Heigenberg, who became the Duchess of Heigenberg a few months ago. Until recently, I think her name was Ariana Lopez."

The image of the emerald eyes shining like fireworks as she explained the painting came to mind. The back of the beautiful line that he couldn't take his eyes off of until it disappeared beyond his sight. 

While Michael was lost in thought for a moment, the red curtain rose. A woman in gorgeous attire appeared on the stage to applause. 

"A prima soprano. That soprano is said to be Count Lopez's younger sister." 

"Oh, I guess his younger sister has a musical talent too." 

Michael's anticipation grew even higher. 

*** 

A high box seat. I slowly looked down from the Duke's private seat. 

'This is what it felt like. Looking down from here.'

In an opera house, the box seats were reserved for the most important guests. The box seats in the Imperial Opera House were even more special and were only allowed to those with royal blood or to delegations representing each country. A seat that everyone had to look up to. 

However, I liked the simple, unobstructed view more than the symbolic aspect. Because I would be able to see everything that would happen in this space at a glance. 

"It seems you are satisfied with the view." 

I unconsciously turned to look at Dante's voice and held my breath. Dressed in flawless formal attire, he looked even more splendid than usual. His forehead, which looked like it had been carved from the finest ivory, was revealed beneath his perfectly swept-back black hair, and his distinct and sharp facial features beneath it. The soft light from the chandelier cast a strange shadow over it. 

I should have gotten used to it since it was the first time I had seen him in a while, but I still couldn't. I said briefly and concisely.

"Yes. Thanks to you." 

I answered plainly, but in fact, I was very satisfied. It was one of the many luxuries I had unintentionally enjoyed as a Duchess. Dante smiled and handed me a glass. I opened my eyes slightly wide. What Dante had given me was not wine, but champagne. 

"I think we'll have a toast soon." 

Dante answered simply at my gaze. I stared blankly at him. Dante sometimes, no, often acted like he knew everything. 

"..."

He slowly wrapped his hand around the neck of the glass. The golden liquid shimmered dreamily under the chandelier lights. I didn't know much about Dante. What his true purpose and desires were. And why, last night, when I nodded my head to tell him about a feeling I didn't know, he suddenly stiffened and left the room. But I could now be certain of this one thing: that my actions were giving the man pleasure. 

I clinked my glass with the one he offered me and said, 

"I hope, Your Excellency the Duke enjoys the show." 

"Next up will be CountEdward Lopez's stage, <Transcendental Love>." 

Just then, a voice announced the next act. I looked down and saw Edward walking up the stage. Applause erupted as he politely bowed to the audience, who were well-dressed. 

Soon, the red curtain rose and the stage was revealed. In the middle of it all, I saw Elena, blooming like a gorgeous summer rose. After sipping champagne, I lifted my opera-glass. Then, I could clearly see Elena with her eyes. closed, opening her lips. 

La-la, la-la-la...

Elena's enchanting humming echoed across the stage. Here and there, the audience whispered among themselves to the exotic melody. The unique sounds intertwined with each other, creating a strange harmony. 

'This is good music.'

While sipping champagne, I savored the music itself for a moment. The intense melody easily captured my ears. When I closed my eyes, I felt like I could feel the scorching sun of the distant desert. 

This music was not my grandfather's last work. It was not Edward's original composition as people know, and it wasn't even mine, where I had drawn the notes directly on the score. 

The real owner of this music is...

I can hear your footsteps from beyond the maze... 

At that point, I lowered my opera-glass. I saw Tonmen, the emissary of Karka, sitting in the box seat opposite. His eyes were wide open in disbelief, and his fists were clenched and trembling. Elena opened her lips wide and took a deep breath. A moment later, her high-pitched voice took over the stage.

You who are strong like an ox, please come to me and hug me tightly! 

Boom! 

At that moment, a loud noise was suddenly heard. I saw Tonmen suddenly get up from the box seat below. He had kicked up so hard that he had sunk into the floor. 

"Huk!" 

"Oh my!" 

The audience who looked up at the box seat at the noise were terrified. Tonmen had jumped over the box seat and landed on the first floor. 

"Gyaaaaah!" 

"What, what!" 

The audience sitting right in front of where Tonmen had jumped screamed as if they were going to faint. Tonmen ignored them and strode forward... 

"Keuk!" 

He grabbed Edward, who was sitting in the seat right in front of the stage, by the collar. 

"How dare you!"

Tonmen's voice could be heard clearly thanks to the sound amplification device installed on the stage. The roar of his voice echoed through the space. 

"How dare you insult us!" 

*** 

Edward couldn't come to his senses at all. 

"Did you think you'd be safe after insulting Karka?" 

The foreign face growling in front of his nose was eerily menacing. 

'This, this guy was an ambassador of the Karka nation, wasn't he?' 

Edward, who was almost fainting, tried to think hard. No matter how much he thought about it, he was meeting this person for the first time. Edward couldn't understand this situation at all. Tonmen roared like a nightmare that had come out of nowhere. 

"Our Karka will never tolerate insults!" 

"Th-th-my goodness!" 

"What the hell is going on?!" 

The nobles around him were terrified and stepped back. 

"What are you doing! Get out of here right now, slap!" 

A panicked guard rushed in but was knocked out by Tonmen's capital in one blow. It was a terrifying skill that proved that the rumors of a natural warrior race were not false. Edward felt a cold sweat rise up his spine. He didn't know why this crazy guy was doing this to him, but the murderous intent that made his body tremble was real. 

"Hey, hey. There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding..."

"Misunderstanding?" 

Tonmen growled, glaring. 

"Didn't you say you were a composer? Then is the composer someone else?" 

"What!" 

The memory of digging into his grandfather's secret safe came back to Edward's mind clearly. Edward shouted in a fit of convulsion, 

"Of course, I am the composer!" 

"Ha." 

His eyes flashed eerily. A sound like a beast's cry came out, scratching Tonmen's throat. It was a sound that made his ribs tingle.

"This shameless son of a bitch...." 

Was this, this uncivilized guy really crazy?! 

Edward, who was held by the collar, barely managed to hold back his confused mind. Just a moment ago, Edward thought everything was perfect. The performance and the song were impeccable. He could feel the surrounding audience getting absorbed as well. He even witnessed Marquis Roman nodding happily. 

Okay, this is all we need to do. 

Just as his heart was pounding with that thought, this uncivilized madman suddenly barged in. 

"Why on earth are you doing this!" 

"Are you asking because you don't know why?!"

Of course, he was asking because he didn't know. The next moment, Tonmen shouted, making Edward lose his mind. 

"You dared to steal our sacred music!" 

Tommen shouted, grabbing Edward by the collar tightly. 

"You shamelessly insult His Majesty the First King!" 

What the... what the hell is this? 

Even if he were struck by lightning on the street, it wouldn't be more absurd or terrifying than this. Elena and the orchestra seemed to be frozen in shock, not knowing what was going on. 

"What is this fuss about!" 

At that moment, the Emperor appeared with his knights. 

'Ah, I'm alive!' 

Edward finally sighed. This madman could not cause a scene in front of the Emperor. Tonmen gritted his teeth and forcibly lowered his head. 

"Your Majesty the Emperor." 

"Explain to me what kind of atrocity this is! Tonmen of Karka!" 

The Emperor roared. An envoy from another country barges into the founding of a nation and threatens the nobility of the empire. This was an unprecedented situation. It would never be tolerated unless there was an unavoidable reason. But where on earth would such a reason be? 

No matter what excuse he made, it would not be understood. The Emperor and most people were thinking that way. 

"This shameless man." 

Tonmen glared at Edward with eyes filled with anger. 

'This madman is still doing this!' 

Edward gasped in shock at that moment. 

"Because he stole my country's sacred ritual music!" 

"...?" 

For a moment, Edward forgot his anger and shame and felt his head turn white. Was this savage just babbling in a foreign language? If not, why didn't he understand right away? 

"And as if that weren't enough, you dare insult our first King with your wicked lyrics." 

Tonmen continued to growl. 

"Sentence him to death."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments