RAMHM - Chapter 26 < Husband Invited Her Ex-husband To Dinner >



I played with my hands, thinking about today when I had an unusually large amount of homework.  

'... She's exactly like Grand Duchess Trovika.'

No, in fact, it was Rhodnes' voice that kept chewing on it. After I took over Blie's body, only Rhodnes, I, and Noevian realized that this body and I were very similar. However, Rhodnes was the first to say it out loud. Of course, Noevian might have been whispering that all along before Blie married off to Count Acacia. 

Pitter-patter.

“Oh, I’ll bring you a new one, Ma’am!”

Jonah, who was cleaning up the messy desk with the Elacon dictionary and homework given by Rhodnes, saw the broken quill in my hand and went outside to find a new one. 

The ink was flying everywhere. My hand and the paper I was writing on were a mess. Sometimes I couldn't control Blie's healthy body and strength.

"Ha."

It was a really tiring day. I was planning to occasionally show up in society and spend the debutante season that hadn't passed anyway with Noevian, much like Adrienne. To make him despair, I could try to please him and then betray him later, but at the same time, I could plant the idea in society that I might become his second wife and then dump him, thus damaging my reputation. People's attention was focused on Noevian more than on Blie, so it would be a big blow. 

In any case, no matter what method I chose later, I had to be with him in society. Those were the only methods I could think of right now. 

Knock knock. 

As I was roughly wiping the ink that had splattered here and there with a handkerchief, someone knocked on the door.

“I, Ma’am-.”

“Count?”

It was Count Acacia. He came to my desk, his body looking even weaker as if he had been under a lot of stress recently. The Count, who was scanning the things scattered on the desk with his eyes that showed no strength at all, swallowed dry saliva and opened his mouth.

“I am planning to go to the territory starting today.”

“Again?”

“Yes, and...”

The Count said that because the territory was far away and accidents and incidents were frequent, he only stayed in this mansion for about a month a year. So it was not an unusual schedule. But the Count kept watching me for a long time.

“The Grand Duke is scheduled to visit the mansion today.”

“...Why?”

“I invited him to dinner.”

“Then, will Your Grace depart for the estate after dinner?”

When I asked for a moment because I didn't understand, the Count slightly bowed his head.

“I am leaving now.”

I stood up without realizing it. This loyal Noevian vassal invited him and then tried to get out of there himself.

“Is this His Highness’s request?”

“That’s not it.”

"Sure?"

“I’m an old man who’s almost dying, but I still have that much sense...”

It was quite a sight to see him forcing a smile while sweating profusely. At the same time, it was also pitiful. An old man in his seventies doing his best for his young master's love business.

'Now you're coming here so openly?'

“Her Highness the Grand Duchess’ funeral isn’t even over yet. How easy is it for the Grand Duke to come here? I will go.”

It is a dizzying future that can be imagined without even looking. What on earth will the servants of this mansion think? Leaving aside the fact that I am secretly rumored to be the mistress, what crime has this poor Count Acacia committed? 

If Noevian comes to the Count's residence in person, the only one who will look ridiculous is Count Acacia.

“That won’t do, Ma’am.”

"Why?"

Count Acacia becomes thoughtful, his amber eyes filled with worry.

“Currently, there are a series of mysterious disappearances of women in the capital. The Grand Duke is also worried about you leaving the mansion, and if possible, refrain from going out until the culprit is caught.”

“Missing?”

“Yes, that’s why I’ve also cut the number of knights going to the territory in half. If you do go out, make sure to bring at least two knights with you...”

"All right."

I quickly answered the Count, who was full of worries, saying, “A wife like this is a wife.” If I didn’t know the truth, he would be a really annoying vassal, but I know very well that he is the biggest victim of this love affair. I can’t cause him any more trouble.

“Don’t worry. I’ll take 20 knights with me.”

“Then I can leave in peace, Madam.”

And he put a bunch of keys on the desk.

“The original landlady manages the keys inside the mansion.”

“This is...”

“I haven’t been able to give it to you before, but lately, the number of servants who trust you, including the old butler, has increased.”

"Ah..."

“I know you will leave someday. As you can see, I am old and weak, and it is difficult for me to take care of all the housework.”

“Then I...”

“Yes, I left the annoying things to the butler, but please take care of this key, Madam.”

Like an old man without speed. I couldn't stand the Count's gaze that contained a little trust and took the bundle of keys. The servants began to follow me more and more because the previous Blie was a dog. I felt like I had accomplished something great. I bit the tender flesh in my mouth and answered as I felt a sudden surge of emotion.

“Don't worry.”

*** 

As soon as Count Acacia left the mansion, Noevian's adjutant Jimsker arrived as if he had been waiting for him. He bowed to me and then raised his head. As soon as he saw my face, he looked startled.

“Why is that?”

“Oh, no, Ma’am.”

Didn't he show Blie's face even to his trusted aide, Sir Jimsker? 

I guessed why he was so surprised, but I pretended not to know. Jimsker took a handkerchief out of his bosom and wiped away the sweat.

“My leg hurts a little. Can you help me greet the guests?”

"Yes?"

I headed to the dining room before I could hear his answer. What kind of guest was I to greet him at the entrance? 

*** 

My stomach churned. Only Jonah followed behind me, and the rest of the servants stood in front of the grand entrance of the Count's residence.

“How about chickpea soup?”

“Yes, the chef is almost done making it.”

“I want my steak rare.”

“I delivered it without fail!”

Noevian hates chickpeas. And he eats everything cooked. Jonah seemed excited at the prospect of having dinner with me and the Grand Duke. Rumors of a government have already spread around the mansion, and many writers in the capital talk about a relationship with a government being 'true love', so this child would probably be more interested in a romance with a young Grand Duke than with the old Count Acacia. 

Judging from the commotion in the hallway, Noevian must have arrived. I don't know how many knights are coming to this tiny mansion, but the clattering is loud.

"Countess."

“Welcome, Your Highness.”

I smiled at him prettily. How tightly I clasped my hands together while smiling like that! 

Noevian’s face, which had seemed uncomfortable because I wasn’t there to greet him, relaxed a little. Marge, who had followed in and was watching, covered her mouth with her hand and chattered among the servants without stopping. 

He really is handsome. The moment he entered the mansion, I felt overwhelmed. He really suits Madam. How can his nose be so high and his chin so chirpy?

"...Stop."

When the servants' chattering became irritating to my ears, I couldn't stand it anymore and opened my mouth. In an instant, the dining room became quiet. I approached him as if I was trying to show him off and asked him to take off his coat.

“Stop it, take a seat.”

“Don’t ask your servant to do this.”

“I want to do it for you.”

This was true. When I was so sick, I felt envious of the maid who took Noevian’s coat. Even though my feelings were not the same as before, my unstable heart gradually calmed down when I felt this body that could do something like eating cold soup. Noevian seemed to not dislike it and obediently took care of me. Marge,’s nostrils began to flare.

“The last one.”

“Yes, yes! Madam Countess Acacia!”

“Make sure there is not a speck of dust on His Highness’s coat.”

“Yes! Yes!”

Excited, Marge didn't even know what I was calling her, so she quickly grabbed the coat and ran out of the dining room with a few maids. Only when more than half of the burdensome gazes disappeared did I begin to relax.

“Please sit down, Your Highness.”

“Yes.”

“I heard the news of your visit late, so I told them to prepare something I like in a hurry, but I’m not sure if it will suit your taste.”

“I can eat anything, so don’t worry about that.”

He stared at my face as if it was new, then sat down.

“This is...?”

And as I was returning to my seat, Noevian's voice suddenly stopped. His face turned pale as he looked at the bright yellow chickpea soup that the maid was bringing.

“It’s a soup I eat often because they say it’s good for your skin.”

“...Is that so.”

Noevian, who had been frowning at the rising smell as if he didn't want to look at it, moistens his throat with the wine the old butler pours for him.

“Are you thirsty?”

"A little."

The steak came out soon after. His stiff expression slowly relaxed. I watched him while eating the chickpea soup. Noevian, who was stirring the chickpea soup, cut the steak and put it in one bite. And...

“Ugh.”

“What is it, Your Highness?”

“...”

The shape of his mouth, unable to chew, swallow, or spit out. Noevian was unable to say that he did not want to eat the meat because it was not cooked, so he just kept his mouth shut.

“Doesn’t it suit your taste?”

“No, it’s very good.”

And he swallows it as if he has made up his mind. For a moment, a feeling of contempt and disgust filled his brow and then subsided. He hates uncooked food. On the other hand, I was very satisfied with the meal. The chickpea soup was moderately sweet and salty with coarse salt, pepper, and honey, and the slightly undercooked beef steak was juicy and very delicious.

“Sometimes I feel grateful that I can cut something with my own hands, put it in my mouth, and chew it.”

“...”

You don't know. You, who have a healthy and strong body, don't eat just because it doesn't suit your taste. 

I quickly cut up meat as if I was showing off, stuffed it in my mouth, and chewed it thoroughly. Noevian, not wanting to ruin the meal I had prepared with so much care, silently shoved things that didn't suit his taste into his mouth.

“Sir Jimsker.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

“I have something to quietly discuss with the Countess.”

“Oh, yes! I understand.”

Jimsker, who was standing in front of the door, gave a look to the servants of the mansion. Noevian, who had more than half of his meal left, rinsed his mouth with the water the butler had brought. It meant that he was finished eating. But I didn’t stop eating. Only after I finished the last piece did I face him, who was staring at me intently.

“Do you have anything to say?”

He forced a smile. Noevian placed his clenched hands on the table and tapped them. He looked a little nervous.

“You used to want to be a Grand Duchess.”

“!”

“But that’s difficult.”

“...”

“But after some time has passed... I will allow you to live in the Grand Palace.”

It's such a large place that even if you were to live alone, the main building's employees wouldn't know if you stayed in the annex. Noevian was talking nonsense, but I couldn't hear a thing. I thought I might hear him say that Blie wanted to come to the Grand Duke's residence someday. 

But this Blie said she wanted to be the Grand Duchess?


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments