Moonlight - Chapter 10



The huge door opened and a man called a scribe came inside.

Nasir entered the audience room and stopped, startled by the unfamiliar atmosphere.

For some reason, the atmosphere inside the audience room was unusual.

Even if you are a complete outsider, anyone would be flustered when they see a man and a woman who are so close that they almost seem to be hugging each other.

Nasir was the same.

Nasir, who had been coming in without thinking, stopped for a moment at the situation he encountered.

A secretary standing awkwardly and two men and women standing in front of him, almost touching.

"..."

"..."

An awkward silence flowed. Nasir couldn't understand why the strange woman he was seeing for the first time welcomed him with more enthusiastic eyes than the Ra Kun who had called him.

Has he ever seen it before?

No, that's not the point.

Nasir looked at his master, who was glaring at him for some reason.

"I came because you called me, but should I go back?"

The brown eyes that shouted at him to stop were fierce.

At Ashina's silent scream, Nasir felt a moment of inexplicable guilt. Fortunately or unfortunately, Behidat did not bite him.

"No, come in."

For a moment, the clerk saw his master's truly regretful gaze but decided to pretend not to notice.

What on earth happened in this space?

I felt relieved as I watched the retreating Behidat.

I don't know what was fortunate, but I was greatly relieved that he was gone.

Nasir tried his best to read the air in this space, stealing a glance at me as I exhaled.

My heart was still pounding.

I tried to regain my composure as quickly as possible, but unfortunately, once my breathing was disturbed, it took time for me to find her pace again.

What the hell is this?

The ball that was mentioned above was still hot.

I was annoyed by the Ra Kun that seemed to be indifferent for no reason.

Behidat returned to his place.

Even though we were far apart, I still didn't let my guard down.

"Greetings. This is my secretary."

Behidat closed his mouth as if thinking about something.

A moment of silence.

He then asked a question.

I immediately opened my eyes.

"What is your name?"

"He knows you."

I'm asking him now, you bastard.

When people meet someone, isn't the first thing they ask for their name?

You've been locking me up in prison without even knowing my name, picking me up off the street, throwing me into a harem, and bullying me?

This person is really a terrible person!

I was very indignant, but unfortunately, this was Pesian, and although I still couldn't believe it, that man was the King of this country.

No, Sir. Yes, that feels just right.

"That's what I think."

The moment I woke up, I felt an overwhelming energy coming from next to me.

It was an indescribable, tremendous momentum, but I decided not to mention it.

This is because the two men and women have come to the conclusion that their health shouldn't get involved in the tug-of-war they have seen for the first time in their lives.

Nasir bowed his head to his master with a smiling face.

It was a belated greeting, but Behidat didn't care about it.

"Is this the person who joined the harem? She is prettier than I thought. Ra Kun will be pleased."

"Of course, I'm a pretty girl."

Why do I hear an answer from next to me?

Nasir was embarrassed.

As if I had no shame, I spoke quickly and turned my gaze away coldly.

Behidat, who was watching the scene, smiled.

A happy smile.

Nasir was secretly surprised by his different smile.

The owner smiles like this.

It was a scene he had never seen before.

"Even in this situation, the mouth is still alive."

"There's no reason to be discouraged."

At my gruff response, Behidat's gaze quietly settled on me.

I tensed up silently.

What are you trying to say, acting all that way?

It had only been a couple of times, but I somehow felt that I was becoming accustomed to this pattern of intimidation.

Oh, but I keep feeling like a sinner even though I haven't really committed any sin.

I absolutely hated this silence, like crazy.

"Take her."

I thought he was going to say something more, but surprisingly, what I heard from Behidat was a cool order.

I frowned as if something was bothering me.

He who was watching smiled faintly.

Nasir, who was left alone, was quietly astonished.

***

I, who had left the audience room, was guided to a separate room.

The man called the secretary seemed pleasant even at first glance.

There was no guarantee that he was that good of a person. 

The first thing the secretary handed to me as I entered the room was a black veil.

The niqab, is more precisely called an abaya.

I looked at what was handed to me and asked immediately.

"What is this?"

"You must cover yourself in front of another man, Aira."

"..."

The voice was soft, but the tone was firm.

I've already seen your face, so do I really have to wear this? 

I wasn't very pleased...

"Do I really have to go?"

"It is clearly stated in the laws."

Since it's the law. I have no choice but to follow it.

In the end, I put an abaya on my head that covered my face.

Nasir smiled with satisfaction as my bare face was partially hidden.

I didn't like that fact.

How delightful to see such precious beauty being hidden.

This guy is not normal.

“Oh, Aira.”

"Do you know?"

I spoke briefly.

Unless his head was made of stone, I knew what this man was trying to do.

I guess he's continuing what Ra Kun was doing.

"I wish you would call me by my name. I'm not even a real Aira."

"Yeah."

Surprisingly, the man was completely convinced.

He was a more communicative person than I thought.

I smiled with satisfaction.

If it were the same situation as before, it would have been the same situation, but if you only consider being interrogated, this was much easier.

A gaze filled with curiosity and caution.

Compared to the intense gaze that arrogantly suppressed me as if it were a given, I was like a candle in front of the sun.

Ah, I feel relieved.

There were many reasons, but I was used to people looking at me.

Even more so if it's like this.

As he watched me sitting comfortably and smiling, Nasir placed something on the desk.

I reacted quickly when I saw that

"Oh, my luggage!"

"We will return to you the items that are found to be free of defects. We still have the questionable items."

I smiled brightly and accсерted my clothes and water bottle. The small pouch never came back, but it was still welcome.

A completely different style of clothing from what I am wearing now.

It was a look that made it obvious to anyone that I was a northerner.

Nasir sat in front of me, who was happily smiling and holding my clothes in my arms.

In principle, this would be against the law, but given the circumstances, it was overlooked.

"Are you from Cromwell?"

"Cromwell isn't the only one in the North Continent."

The voice that came out so clearly sounded somehow unpleasant.

I was impressed.

Nasir immediately apologized for his own mistakes.

"Oh, I'm sorry. When I think of the Northern Continent, the only country that comes to mind is Cromwell."

Well, well.

I nodded, smacking my lips again.

Yeah, that's right.

People from the Northern Continent or Cromwell knew that there were other countries, but people from the Southern Continent, with whom they had little contact, would not have known.

"I understand. When we think of the Southern Continent, we only know of Pesian. Countries like Pashina and Kracha are only known to those who are engaged in commerce or are interested in them."

Nasir smiled broadly at the softened voice.

The man had a naturally attractive appearance, but I valued the comfortable atmosphere he gave off more than that.

Yeah, if you want to interrogate someone, do it like this!

Above all, this makes me want to cooperate.

"Then may I ask where you come from?"

"I come from Siegren. It's a very small kingdom bordering the southeastern border of Cromwell. It's a small country that most people don't even care about."

"There was a place like that too."

I smiled vaguely.

That was fortunate.

Because the abaya covers my face.

To be exact, I was staying in Cromwell's capital Wells, and stopped by Sigren for a bit, but that's about it.

I was confident.

I didn't lie.

I just told the truth as it is.

"I heard you crossed the desert of death. Any particular reason?

"..."

This guy is asking this too.

After pondering for a moment whether it was something so special, unusual, and strange, I raised my hand.

Nasir looked at me as if asking what was going on.

"I have a question for you."

"Yes, go ahead."

"Why is it a desert of death there?"

Although I had heard the reason earlier, my mind was already occupied with other things, and I still did not fully understand why these people were averse to the desert.

Nasir answered obediently, rubbing his chin as if he was puzzled.

"Because the wind blows continuously, the terrain changes in a day, and even when it rains, the water doesn't collect, so it's a place where you can easily die if you wander around for a few days."

"Well, is that the only thing that bothers you?"

"Well, it's a land where many travelers actually died, and many abandoned clansmen were banished and died, so it's natural to be reluctant to go there."

It might take longer, but you can get to the other side without having to go through the desert.

"There are many rumors that the land is haunted by vengeful spirits or that anyone who enters it is cursed and cannot leave alive, but there is no curse or anything like that in particular."

"Somehow, there seemed to be no one passing by."

So that's what it was.

I was convinced.

Yes, I heard that the desert terrain is not suitable for human habitation.

It's similar to Siberia. 

I nodded, recalling the events of just last year.

Siberia, is a permafrost region where only extreme cold exists, making it impossible for humans to survive.

The only difference between here and there was that while the people of Siberia were forced to live in extreme conditions from the tundra, the people here had a place to live that didn't necessarily have to be in the desert.

"Where were you going?"

"It's Kracha."

I said it right away without hiding anything.

"What was the purpose of your travel?"

"I was just looking around."

I shrugged my shoulders as if it were obvious.

Nasir asked back without changing his expression.

"Then, are you also aware that Kracha and Pesian are currently enemies?"

My eyebrows furrowed.

"No, I didn't know that."

It was the first time I heard about it.

When did the two become enemies?

Looking closely at the astonished me, Nasir wondered if the woman was acting.

I put my hand on my head, frowning.

"I just know that Kracha was a country created by people who opposed the establishment of Pesian. I thought they were getting along pretty well, but were they on bad terms to the point where you could call them enemies?"

I don't remember it to that extent, but I heard they also do a little diplomacy and trade.

Above all, the dates from Kracha Mountain are the best.

Nasir shook his head as if sighing.

I surprisingly obediently told him everything.

"There has been some minor friction between Kracha and Pesian recently. The atmosphere is not good because of that. I guess you didn't know?"

"After all, the records in the North are bound to be a few years behind."

What do you know about the recent situation of countries that are at odds with each other due to their different cultures and lack of exchange?

Besides, the continents were different, so they wouldn't have encountered each other unless they crossed the ocean.

Most Cromwellians had no interest in the Southern Continent, and if I had not been collecting information for my travels, I would not have known how Kracha was created.

Cromwell had traditionally considered Kracha a friendly country, so I simply thought I should travel to Kracha... Oh, my.

It just came out so suddenly.

I admitted my mistake. This was my first time traveling across the continent, so I should have prepared more carefully. The excitement that was there must have also played a part.

It was a mistake to cross over and assume that it was no different from when I was casually wandering around the Northern Continent.

It took a whole month to get to the Southern Continent by boat, but I wanted to visit Kracha as if I were visiting a neighboring country.

Yeah, I'm crazy.

My mother's prophecy that I wouId definitely die if I continued living like that came back to me again...

Yes, Mom.

I'm going to die like this. 

"Somehow, I can understand why you treated me like a criminal."

Nasir remained silent, looking at me with a twisted expression, who was biting my lip again.

Up until now, I had only vaguely guessed why I was being treated this way.

I can't say that I didn't have that complacent feeling that I would be released soon since I was innocent anyway.

But like this?

It was twisted from the beginning.

Oh, I'm crazy.

I wanted to bite my tongue.

Why did you ask the enemy King for directions to Kracha?

I would be grateful if they just put me in jail.

Yeah, it was obviously suspicious.

"Ugh..."

I now understand exactly why you pushed me so hard earlier.

If it didn't look suspicious, that would be strange.

No matter how much of a mistake I made, it was a huge mistake!

Nasir, who was watching me in frustration, was wondering how to resolve the situation.

Everything was too unnatural to simply suspect her of being a spy.

To an excessive degree.

Even if they assume that the fact that the foreign woman suddenly appeared was to ease the guard, the reason for it was 'travel'...

It was a reason that would naturally make anyone tilt their head in puzzlement.

If she were a spy, she would have given a more plausible reason.

Although she was strangely calm there, Ashina couldn't shake off her anxiety.

If that was acting, then it was quite impressive in its own way, Nasir thought and watched Ashina intently.

Still a girl.

No, she's too mature to be called a girl.

But she was still somewhat immature to be called a woman.

If it's so hard for even a thoughtless person like him, how much harder must it be for other people?

However, there were some doubts about whether she was a spy.

What on earth is this feeling of discomfort?

Ashina, who had been holding her head in frustration, raised her head.

Ashina asked straight away without even filtering.

"Then, was it your intention to capture and monitor me instead of putting me in prison? Isn't there something else to it?"

"..."

Nasir did not answer.

Even without Nasir's answer, I slowly looked back on the situation and figured out for myself why I had become like this.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments