KFBRV - Chapter 7




Odette, who had been lost in thought and followed the butler who had come to fetch her into the garden, arrived in the lobby and looked around at the small number of attendants gathered there.

The butler, the housekeeper, the maid, Paula, Mrs. Becker... are just a few of the powerful figures in this household who know the secret that she was adopted.

It looks like all the other servants and maids were sent to a separate building?

The tall, blond-haired Countess Albrecht stood leading them.

It was funny to see Paula hide behind the Countess's back when Odette appeared.

'You must have cried yourself hoarse trying to come out of the attic. My mother must have been very angry.'

Odette smiled at Mrs. Becker, who had an unusually anxious expression. It was to convey the message that if she didn't want her secret to be revealed, she should be tactful.

“Get this woman on her knees!”

The head maid, who had been waiting at the Countess's word, suddenly pulled Odette down on her knees on the lobby floor.

“I heard from Paula. You beat her in charge of discipline? How dare you discipline my maid?!”

Normally, Odette would have trembled and lowered her head in this situation, but she held her head up stiffly with a cold expression.

“Where did you get that dress? It’s not something we’ve ever made. Did you get it from some rich guy? Tsk tsk. Anyway, cheap blood can’t be washed.”

'There is a separate side for rich men.'

Odette glanced at Mrs. Becker with cold eyes.

'I'm so surprised that you're so surprised just by looking at me. You're worried about my mother less.'

Odette thought, ignoring the absurd admonition.

“You guys, take off that girl’s clothes right here and make her bow her head to Paula! How dare you hit Paula? You’ll pay dearly for that.”

At those words, the maid and the housekeeper approached Odette and tried to take off her clothes. But at that moment, a cold voice rang through the lobby.

“It is my mother who is acting recklessly right now.”

A dignified voice that was hard to believe came from Odette. An aristocratic and commanding rebuke.

The maid stopped moving, startled by her unusual appearance. She felt uncomfortable with the girl she always found funny.

“What?”

“Because you just heard Paula’s story and made me kneel before the servants.”

“This is proper discipline!”

“Has there ever been a noble who would insult her child in front of her subordinates? This is not how nobles discipline their children. You need to relearn etiquette, mother.”

A cool laughter echoed softly through the lobby.

“Did my mother also learn manners from Paula? If so, I can understand. The way you reveal your true colors is very similar.”

The housekeeper gasped at the taunt directed at the Countess.

The Countess frowned at the social sarcasm. As the daughter of a famous moneylender, the Countess had been completely ignored by society because of her origins.

The daughter of a wealthy man who was allowed to marry the Count because he squandered his fortune in his youth.

The Countess, offended by Odette's taunts that touched her complex, raised her voice.

“Are you finally crazy? What are you doing? Take off your clothes right now! My Paula, I will make you watch that girl’s humiliation until you are satisfied.”

“How can my mother call that child by his name so affectionately? I always found it fascinating.”

The Countess's face turned pale at Odette's calm response. It was as if she had been hit with the point.

'I thought that despite her arrogant personality, she still remembered Paula's name.'

“My lady really didn’t know anything. My, my, my lady is really a kind person. She has lived a pitiful life. Please show mercy to her, Your Grace.”

How much love and special a mother is to her daughter. Sometimes, daughters develop a special instinct toward their mothers.

Especially sensitively when a daughter has a crush on her mother.

Odette in her previous life had that instinct triggered in the courtroom. When she felt that Paula's attitude toward the Countess was too similar to her own attitude toward her mother.

At that time, Odette had her doubts, but looking at the current situation, it seems like her prediction was right.

'She must have hated how much I, the adopted daughter, was registered while the real daughter registered as a maid.'

The Countess's daughter was born before marriage. That's why she always favored and adored Paula. Even now, she is so angry at Paula's wounds.

'How could she possibly think of bringing her unmarried daughter as a maid?'

There is no such thing as a kingdom of ruin. Well, what can you expect from a human who pretends not to know about his son's evil intentions toward his adopted daughter?

“So, does that mean it was a good thing to lock up Paula and whip her?”

“What can I do when a mere maid whips me, her master?”

“Didn’t you do something that deserves to be beaten?!”

“If that’s the logic, then the same goes for Paula.”

The more she learns about the true nature of this family, the more ridiculous it becomes.

'When will we hear about the dungeon? I'm sick of it.'

Odette's voice gradually became filled with boredom.

“Does Paula seem like a lower-class person than you?! Is she someone you can manipulate around as you please?”

“It’s better than having a maid pushing me around. If my mother loves your daughter more than a maid, you will do the same to me.”

And as Odette's voice grew colder, the Countess's voice grew more agitated.

“You dare call me your mother? Anyway, this woman has never known her place! You should be grateful that I clothed and fed you. Do you think that the Countess’s daughter is your place?!”

She rubbed her forehead, screaming nervously. It seemed like she had a headache from the hysteria.

Taking advantage of the gap, the butler Rolf banged his head on the floor to please the Countess.

“Madam! Please calm down. If you do, you will harm yourself. Why should you harm your precious body because of that woman?”

He is quite good at pretending to be angry and squeezing the juice while being loyal.

“Madam, please understand the maid and the housekeeper. As a lowly servant, I cannot possibly harass the young lady, can I?”

The Countess's eyes lit up at Rolf's tone, leading him to spit out some words.

“Rolf, you’re right. I haven’t been considerate of you. This woman’s whining is so disgusting that I didn’t want to say this.”

'For someone who didn't want to do it, the corners of her lips can't hide her true feelings?'

What are you saying with the corners of your mouth turned up like a gambler pulling out a card of conversion?

“I should abandon you immediately.”

The Countess spoke as if that sentence were the best she could do.

***

'How long has it been?'

Rolf smacked his lips inwardly. The word 'abandon' was a slang term within the mansion.

A slang term means that those who know the secret can treat Odette as cruelly as they want.

Odette, who suffered from the trauma of being abandoned as a child, could not move when that word was mentioned even after she grew up. She would tremble in fear and lose her mind, and just apologize to the empty air.

It was impossible to now banish her, a fake purifier, and yet she was still there.

'Anyway, I told you she's been stupid since the beginning.'

“Butler, butler. Please tell my mother. I will eat less and sleep less from now on.”

The day she returned to the orphanage after her first adoption. It was so funny how she woke up at dawn and cleaned Madam's room.

Now that the word "abandoned" has been mentioned, it's sure to be a great outlet for anger today as well.

'I'm going to let out some steam today. I've got some pretty fun entertainment coming up.'

Should I lock her in a small closet where she can't move? Or should I put her in a bathtub filled with ice water so cold that she can't breathe? 

The butler looked at Odette with the corners of his lips splitting.

However.

'...Huh?'

Something felt... strange. What is that expressionless face?

“Are you finished speaking?”

Odette... was straightening her knees and adjusting the hem of her skirt. Her gesture was so indifferent that it almost seemed arrogant.

“Didn’t you hear? I’m going to kick you out right now.”

“Please do so, Madame Albrecht.”

Odette, who had finished getting ready, smiled faintly with the corners of her lips raised.

'Huh...? This isn't right?'

That's weird. Why is she in her right mind?

Madam and Paula's faces were filled with confusion as if they were thinking the same thing.

“You, you! Who said you could stand up? How dare you bend your knees during discipline without permission?”

“Now, you are not my mother. What right do you have to discipline me?”

Odette's emotionless turquoise eyes looked as cold as jewels.

As soon as he met those eyes, the butler felt an inexplicable chill.

'What is this...?'

Odette, she seemed strangely noble. The butler swallowed dryly and clenched his trembling hands into fists.

No, no. That can't be. Words like "intimidation" are only suitable for truly noble blood. For true nobles with blue blood, like Master Ferdinand, Madame, and Master.

“You, you...! I’m excommunicating you? I’m excommunicating you!!”

“Yes, Madame Albrecht. I understand. I, a lowly commoner, will now take my leave.”

Gentle gestures, mocking laughter.

"You!"

“Goodbye, Ma’am.”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments