KFBRV - Chapter 17






Malea chuckled and brushed the cookie crumbs off her lips.

“Oh my, I made a mistake because I was startled by your sudden appearance. I thought you were in the dungeon.”

“Shouldn’t you say sorry first?”

The moment Odette snickered at her shameless attitude, the head maid, Dolly, intervened.

“Young lady, don’t be so nervous about something like this. She might get startled and make a mistake. The tea is cold and not even hot, so why are you holding a new maid like a rat? This is called atrocity-”

“It’s not very hot...”

Odette picked up the teapot on the nightstand next to the bed. It was slightly cooled, but still hot.

She poured it directly over the head of the maid who was lying on the bed.

“Kkaaaak! It’s hot. La, Young Lady! What are you doing-!”

“I was surprised and made a mistake. You are in a place you shouldn’t be.”

The surprised housekeeper stopped Odette, her eyes wide open.

“Young lady, don’t act rashly. You must not forget that we are the ones who are favored by the ‘Madam’! If you act rashly, I will tell everything to the Madam.”

“Oh, you mean Madam who just got her pension this morning? Her favor must be quite frightening to me. Will your precious Madam ever come out of that room?”

The housekeeper was taken aback by Odette's cold appearance.

She saw Odette rebel briefly yesterday, but she figured she'd be intimidated after being in the dungeon.

While the housekeeper was struggling, Odette poured every last drop of tea over the maid's head.

As the bed became damp, the housekeeper got up from the bed for fear that her skirt would get wet.

“It's too hot, too hot. Tea, cold water!”

“The tea has cooled down, so don’t be so nervous. As the head maid, you should set an example for the new maids.”

As the maid was about to get up from the bed in a hurry, Odette pressed her hand firmly on her shoulder.

“Let go, let go! I want to rinse it with cold water, cold water!”

“Shouldn’t an apology come first? If you give me an apology that I can accept, I will let you go.”

With her slender arms, Odette effortlessly subdued the headmaid. In that state, she made eye contact with each of the new maids.

“Ha.”

The maids looked back and forth between the head maid and Odette in confusion.

'How humiliating it would be to apologize to someone you've just ridiculed.'

I'll have to engrave that humiliation into your bones so you'll never be able to sneak into this room again.

“First, Malea, should you apologize to me? You were the one who spilled the tea on my leg. Oh, and you did a great job imitating me tearing out Paula’s hair. You could have put on a show, right?”

Malea looked between the maid and Odette, startled and surprised. The maid screamed.

“What are you doing?! I want you to apologize right now! Can’t you see that you spilled the tea and got yourself into this mess? Apologize to the young lady!”

The tea was hot, and she was worried about her skin, so she changed her stance right away.

If the housekeeper and the head maid joined forces, they could of course take Odette out by force. However, the new maids were standing there with their eyes wide open.

Didn't you just brainwash them by mocking Odette and saying, "She's such a bad person to us, we have to gossip about her to feel better"?

It was obvious that if she suddenly pushed Odette away as if it were a given, it would look strange.

Because it would be a violation of the highest taboo for a maid to touch a nobleman's body without permission.

Malea's eyes were filled with resentment.

“The head maid was the one who opened this place. She clearly said she would take responsibility for everything... Then why...”

“Shut up! I want you to apologize first. Do you want me to make your life as a maid difficult? You’re the daughter of a criminal who was arrested for fraud.”

When the secret she had only kept to the head maid was leaked, Malea's expression turned red with betrayal.

'With this, Malea's relationship with the head maid has completely broken up.'

The other new maids also looked disappointed in the head maid. They seemed to wonder why she had opened a position where she couldn't take responsibility.

Malea stuttered an apology with an embarrassed expression.

“Yes, I was wrong, Miss. I won’t make fun of you again.”

"Also?"

“Oh, I wouldn’t have barged into the young lady’s room without permission. It was also wrong to make a funny impression on the young lady.”

Starting with her, the other maids also knelt and bowed their heads to the floor.

“I was wrong, Miss!”

Odette glanced at the housekeeper.

“What does Courtney think?”

Normally, she wouldn't apologize. She was so spoiled, relying on Odette's mother's favor. So much so that she dared to treat Odette like a footstool.

“Please put down the maid, my lady.”

In response to the housekeeper's answer, Odette spoke affectionately to the head maid.

“What should I do? I thought she was your friend. I guess Courtney doesn’t care about your skin at all.”

“Miss, I was wrong. I won’t do it again. Please, let me go!”

The maid, who was the one who was left with the scar, clearly wanted to get out of this situation right away. Judging from the way she looked like she was dying of hatred, she was urgently explaining her situation.

“Courtney! Apologize quickly! It was our fault for coming in without permission. Everything the Lady said makes sense!”

To the point where the maid got angry at the housekeeper she was close with.

“Did all the other maids hear that too?”

“...”

“Don’t you dare come into my room again. If you act up to me one more time, I’ll show you what real heinousness is.”

'When I act like a fool, you make a fuss about how I'm being so mean, but when I actually start being mean, you stay quiet.'

They knelt on the floor, their mouths shut tightly, and they all bowed their heads.

They looked really scared.

'Rumors spread quickly among the lower classes, so everyone will know how to behave.'

“Courtney! I said you have to apologize quickly! Miss, I was really wrong. We were really wrong?! Please let me go quickly.”

Odette watched the situation leisurely.

First of all, the relationship between Malea and the maid has become strained. There is no way that Malea will become her mother's close maid at the maid's recommendation like in her last life.

'I've already blocked my mother's money supply, so that's fine.'

Besides, the housekeeper and the head maid couldn't just ignore the insults Odette gave them.

'These guys can only harass me with my mother's permission, so they'll run to Ferdinand and ask him to release my mother immediately.'

It would be perfect if those two took the Countess' side and asked him to release her pension.

'Then those two will naturally be branded as being on mother's side.'

The housekeeper just stared blankly at Odette, not knowing what calculations Odette was making with the housekeeper.

But in the end.

“...I’m sorry, Miss. It was our fault. We will never come into your room again.”

In the end, the housekeeper also bowed and greeted her.

Courtney's greeting. And the new maids kneeling behind her all at once.

'Now the position is returning to its proper place.'

Only then did Odette release the hand that was pressing down on the maid's shoulder.

“You can go out and see.”

The maid quickly ran out of the room. Odette patted Courtney's cheek as she bent down and said.

“From now on, remember today, this moment. No matter what you do, in the end, you are all under me.”

The housekeeper bit her lip in insult.

“No matter how you make fun of me, no matter how you mock me, this is the best position for you. This position of bowing down to me.”

After Odette finished speaking, she gave orders to the maids.

“You guys, clean up my dirty room and go. While you’re cleaning, repeat out loud, ‘I’m sorry, young lady. I will never enter your room without permission again.’ So loudly that it echoes throughout this mansion.”

“Yes, Miss.”

This was something she had ordered all the maids and servants to do, as part of her efforts to break the habit of her subordinates barging into her room without permission.

The faster the word spread and the greater the fear, the better.

'The other maids need to know what happened today so they can be properly warned.'

Her mother is retired, and her father and brother are in the palace and they won't be able to contact them for a while.

It means that even if they make a lot of noise, there is no price to pay.

“Courtney, you should clean with them too.”

The housekeeper's expression turned pale at those words. It was insulting to ask her, who was supposed to supervise and manage the subordinates, to do such chores herself.

'That's funny. They don't think about the fact that they insulted me, but only care about being insulted?'

Odette pressed for an answer.

“What’s the answer?”

“I will miss.”

“Malea, when you stop crying, follow me to the kitchen. I have something to tell you.”

Malea was sobbing with tears in her eyes. It seemed so sad and humiliating to have her father's criminal reputation revealed.

“I’m sorry, Miss! I will never enter your room without permission again!”

Leaving the maids behind, Odette walked into the kitchen with a cold face.



Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments