KFBRV - Chapter 15








Ferdinand was in a bad mood. He was upset that his mother had locked Odette in the dungeon without permission, but...

“Mother, why are you acting like this! Why are you using the toy you gave me so carelessly?”

It was because he couldn't understand himself and kept lashing out at his mother. He never imagined that Lise had mixed confession powder in his honey water.

'Hey. It's not like it's been a day or two since my mother has been acting up without permission. She's always been patient, so why is it getting so angry all of a sudden?'

The situation was quickly resolved when Rolf intervened, but Ferdinand could clearly see the displeased expression on his mother's face. An expression that clearly showed that she was very disappointed in him.

'I guess I'll have to coax you for a while again. I wonder how long it'll last this time.'

Just thinking about it made his head hurt.

His mother was the type who would get anxious and irritable if she couldn't control the Count's family. She was always looked down on in the aristocratic society, so she felt at ease only when she completely seized power within the family.

Because of her origins as the daughter of a moneylender, her mother was always treated as an invisible person in social circles. The Count went along with this atmosphere and openly ignored his wife.

It was after she gave birth to Ferdinand, her heir, that she began to be accepted as a member of the nobility, even if only a little.

“Son, you shouldn’t disrespect your mother. You were born from my womb, so you shouldn’t do that... I forgive everything else, but don’t disgrace your mother in front of others.”

If I once get angry at my cold-hearted mother, I will never be forgiven. 

Ferdinand has been hiding his laughter from his mother out of fear.

“Oh, dear. I don’t know. I’ll comfort you later. For now, let’s fix Odette’s bad habits.”

Just then the footmen knocked on the reception room door.

“Your Grace! I brought the young lady.”

“Come in.”

According to Rolf, Odette was extremely arrogant and presumptuous. Her verbal abuse was so severe that her mother had no choice but to lock her in the dungeon.

“Everyone, leave except Odette.”

Seeing Odette dressed in a more drab outfit than usual, it seemed like her mother hadn't said anything entirely wrong.

'Yes. I just have to try hard to appease my mother. How could she not forgive me, since I am her son?'

Ferdinand looked down at Odette, who was kneeling on the living room floor, thinking so.

He suddenly distorted his face and pointed out Odette's clothes.

“Where did you get those shabby clothes?”

“Good morning, brother.”

“You have some fancy clothes, where did you get them and wear them?”

“I received a gift.”

Fedirnand's brow furrowed at Odette's answer.

He can tell at a glance that it's a very luxurious fabric. The overall design is also great.

It looks luxurious and classic, but the delicate details on the wrists and hems are a stylish follow-up to recent trends.

It was clearly a piece from a top boutique. It wasn't a dress that could be given away as a gift without any thought. It was definitely more expensive than the clothes Ferdinand had bought for Odette.

“From whom?”

“He is a really cool person.”

“Anyway, this is why women should be disciplined with corporal punishment. If you keep raising them like that, they’ll eventually fall for a dog bone.”

“Brother, don’t say that. Isn’t that the person your mother introduced me to?”

'...What?'

Ferdinand looked as if he had been hit in the head.

“Will my mother introduce you?”

Odette smiled instead of answering.

Of course, that wonderful person was Lise.

'Anyway, it's true that my mother introduced me to that person.'

After all, it was ultimately the mistress's responsibility to select and manage maids. Odette pretended to blush with excitement.

Enjoying the sight of Ferdinand's face contorted into a horrible grimace of disgust.

“My mother introduced you to that dog-bone guy?”

“Yes. She willingly allowed me to spend eternity with Him.”

It wasn't a lie. Her mother had been muttering about it the day before she was hanged.

Since that girl is dead and gone to the afterlife, let those two cheap things stay together forever.

There was no sign of a lie in Odette's words.

A look of betrayal appeared on Fernand's face. Odette emphasized once more.

“Yesterday, my mother willingly agreed to give me up for adoption. I was so happy. I felt burdened by my noble title, being with a commoner.”

At those words, Ferdinand's face became even more distorted.

Mrs. Becker, who was there, also made a fuss yesterday. She said that when the madam brought up the subject of excommunication to the young lady, the young lady seemed calm as if she had expected it.

'I thought that was nonsense, but after hearing Odette's story, I understand the situation.'

Ferdinand was angry with his mother. How could she be excommunicated after causing so much trouble as a fake purifier?

'Then I'll be beheaded for murder right away!'

What makes him most angry is that his mother tried to dispose of his favorite toy without his permission.

Ferdinand, Odette is yours from head to toe. Tame her or abandon her. Do as you wish.”

Didn't she say that when she first gave Odette a present? Well, his mother rarely kept her promises.

‘...Especially since I left that damn Paula behind.’

Ferdinand had a pathological aversion to any scars on Odette's body other than the ones he had inflicted.

While other high-ranking employees were harassed without leaving marks on Odette's body, Paula always had to leave ugly scars from horsewhips.

'But instead of scolding Paula, you always told me to put up with it?!'

You said it was Ferdinand's doll! How can you not scold your maid for scratching your son's doll?

From the beginning, his mother had no intention of keeping her promise to her son.

'I begged you not to lock her in the dungeon, but you even disobeyed that. What the hell. Then what good will it do to my reputation at the founding of the country!'

The anger towards his mother that he had barely suppressed due to Rolf's earnest persuasion burst out again.

'And you're excommunicating her to have her marry a commoner? Your son's life is at stake, and you didn't even consult me?'

Dishonor was a slang term used by the Countess and her superior servants to harass Odette. Of course, it was reported to Ferdinand several times.

But Ferdinand had long since forgotten that report. He was the type of person who neither listened to nor remembered the stories of those below him.

Because of that, he ended up misunderstanding their word 'excommunication' as a real story of excommunication.

Ferdinand, filled with rage, wanted to wake his mother up and confront her right away, but he had to go into the palace right now.

Because Crown Prince John was in danger of running wild, the palace was in a very humble position. He had to go in with his father to take advantage of this opportunity to rip out a lot of diamond mines.

Odette spoke, trying to suppress her seething insides.

“You’re not against it, are you? Whatever my mother likes, my brother also likes it.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“The one who will become the Count or the Emperor’s son-in-law is not my mother, but my brother. Even though all the nobility and decision-making power belongs to my brother, you always follow my mother’s will.”

Only then did Ferdinand feel as if he had been hit in the head.

'Why should I fear my mother's hatred?'

His mother always said it like a spell.

“You are my greatest achievement. You are the best thing I have.”

That means the power is in Ferdinand's hands, not his mother's. There was no need to ask for his mother's forgiveness.

'I don't care whether you forgive me or not.'

Rather, shouldn't it be the mother who should be asking for forgiveness for using Ferdinand's doll without permission?

Ferdinand, having come to his senses, decided to go back on his apology to his mother.

“Look at this. No matter how angry Mother is, the maids and servants only look at Brother rather than Mother. Except for the butlers Rolf and Paula.”

At those words, Ferdinand realized.

“Your Grace, please don’t fall out of favor with the madam. The madam is a cold-hearted person. You must always please the madam.”

The reason Ferdinand was forced to be humble and timid was because he hid the fact that the real power lay within him.

That was because Rolf always took his mother's side and whispered to her that it was all for the young master's sake.

Ferdinand opened his eyes when he realized that fact. They were the eyes of enlightenment.

The real power in this house was the father and himself. The mother was merely the daughter of a lowly moneylender who depended on noble blood.

As expected of a cunning woman blinded by money, she even tries to take away Odette, whom she had given as a gift.

“Brother, Brother, you would never go against Mother. You will allow it just like Mother, right? I want to be happy with that person.”

“Haha. Did you really think I would allow that, Odette?”

Ferdinand, his eyes brightened by enlightenment, called the footmen over and pointed with his finger.

“Find the boutique that made this dress, and bring me a copy of the dog bone that gave it to me.”

“Brother.”

Odette's face turned pale as if she was frightened by those words. Her appearance made him feel sick. 

How dare you choose another man for my doll?

“And then give this girl four, no, five injections of Mengele and leave her in the waiting room! We need to break her habit.”

“Please, don’t do that. You can’t separate us when I have Mother’s permission!”

“Lock Mother in Her Room Too! If she dares not follow my orders, I will believe she is Mother’s dog who ignores me just like the butler!”

“Brother!”

Odette's voice was unusually mournful. Ignoring her pleas, Ferdinand motioned to the footman to drag her away.

After coming to a clear conclusion, he went straight to his room and started putting on his going-out clothes.

'In addition to the diamond mine, I should also make marriage with the Princess a condition of purification?'

The Princess and him were 14 years apart? She wasn't as beautiful as her brother, the Crown Prince, but she wasn't so beautiful that he couldn't live with her. After all, he have Odette, who was his joy.

His hands were light as he closed his clothes while humming a song.

'Ha, that's refreshing. I finally feel like I've regained my dignity.'

Indeed, Odette was right. It was he, not his mother, who would become the Count and the son-in-law of the imperial family.

He planned to clearly educate the moneylender's daughter about that fact.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments