IHMEB - Chapter 269 < Born and Raised in Valmonde >




“I’m used to it because I eat it every day, so it’s okay.”

Oh my.

The maids who were serving the meal blushed and made small noises without realizing it at the sound of Kaian’s voice.

“What...”

“Born and raised in Valmonde. It suits your taste, so don’t worry about it.”

As he said that, his red eyes stared intently at my plump lips.

Only then did I realize that he was joking with me and I frowned.

“People are watching. What are you doing?”

“I was just trying to relieve your worries because you were worrying about useless things.”

He narrowed his eyes, filled with joy.

“I’m not fussy by nature. That’s why I can spend years on the battlefield.”

Kaian glanced at the servants of Valmonde Castle and whispered in my ear in a low voice.

“Isn’t it the Duke of Vermont who’s fussy? My father said it many times. He's a miser.”

It was hard to say no, considering how much effort he had put into not going to the battlefield.

“Well, I’d definitely rather go outside than the greenhouse.”

“Outside the castle? There’s nothing to see.”

“Why is there nothing to see? I’d like to go to the lakeside where the event is being held.”

“Oh. Yes. I’ll get it ready.”

I stood up, looking busy.

Kaian couldn’t help but laugh out loud as I quickly disappeared in search of a servant to prepare to go outside.

“Ha. Haha. I really can’t stand it.”

Why did she care so much about me?

He tried to match Claudel’s treatment of her guests, but she seemed to be having a hard time.

“Anyway, she’s cute.”

Not knowing what Kaian was thinking, Claudel took the time to prepare a good carriage.

***

The road from the castle to the lake was fairly flat, thanks to the snow that had piled up all along being cleared away repeatedly.

The carriage of Temnes was so unfamiliar with snow that the coachman, who arrived safely, shed tears.

So they rode in a carriage with wide wheels of the northern style and ran through the snowy fields.

“Did you come all the way here to show me some kind of flower grown in a greenhouse? It’s all over Rowen.”

Only then did I realize that Kaian was enjoying what I was doing?

“Don’t tease me. I was trying to be considerate in my own way.”

“So shouldn’t I tell you that you’re wrong?”

My eyes widened at his words.

“Am I your guest?”

“Yes?”

“The premise is wrong. You’re also a guest of the Castle of Valmonde.” 

Now that I think about it, that was true.

I had also been invited as the Duchess of Temnes, so I wasn’t a member of the Castle of Valmonde.

“Ah...”

Kaian smiled with a precious smile on his face as if he was really enjoying what I had finally realized.

“But you’re kidding me when I try to take care of you?”

“Well, you don’t seem to know much about it, considering you're from Valmonde.”

“...”

I had nothing to say.

Life at Valmonde Castle was very closed.

It might be okay for a son, but a daughter had to ride in a carriage to get married before leaving the castle.

I agreed with Kaian.

“Actually, I’ve never really been out.”

As she said that, her eyes couldn’t hide her admiration as she endlessly glanced outside the carriage.

Valmonde Castle, with the sun behind it, revealed its dark, gigantic majesty on the snowy, wintery land.

If I had seen this sight a few days ago when I arrived, I might have been overwhelmed by Valmonde Castle all over again.

However, what was even more admirable was the snowy landscape itself. Even in the summer, the barren land that was covered in moss and soon frosted was a sight to behold when snow piled up.

Whenever the winter wind blew across the vast snowfield, the snow would blow like smoke.

It was a mysteriously beautiful scene.

I thought it was comparable to the flower rain of Rowen.

I gradually forgot my determination to introduce Kaian to the charm of the North and was captivated by the scenery that captivated people.

“Kaian. I get to see many good things when I’m with you.”

Life in the castle of Valmonde was quite strictly controlled.

Even the Princess had to go to bed by 8 p.m. Staying up late at night to light a fire or throw firewood into the stove was likely to be an extravagance and overconsumption.

In addition, since the windows of the room were usually closed to keep out the cold, I first saw the 'starry night sky' I had been longing for in Kaian's bedroom.

In the silence that seemed to suck me in, the starlight that seemed to pour down toward me was vivid in my eyes.

Even the snowy fields that were spread out just a little outside the castle were not permitted to the Duchess of Vermont.

There were various dangers outside the castle.

It was not an atmosphere where women who were treated as family property to continue the bloodline could freely wander around or go sightseeing.

Even during the winter festival, rather than having fun, I would ride in a carriage with the Duchess, get off at the edge of the lake, encourage the people of the estate, and then go back almost immediately.

And I imagined what happened at the festival as I heard the story behind it from Hannah.

'The opportunities that come only when you leave the family.'

Was it because Irena became a Duke?

I had also been feeling a bit restless lately.

"I will accept your concern as long as you are sincere."

Kaian held out his hand to me.

“Don’t forget that you are also a guest.”

“I understand.”

I blushed at the thought of revealing my obvious base.

When I got off the carriage, I saw workers busy clearing the road leading to the lake to prevent snow from piling up. They attached long poles to wide wooden boards and skillfully pushed the snow off the road.

“It won’t be easy to clear the snow every day.”

“The snow piled up next to you is blown by the wind, so if you don’t clear it every day, it will freeze.”

Anyway, after walking along the neatly paved road for a while, the view widened in all directions.

“Is this a lake?”

The wide, circular lake was surrounded by a forest of fairly tall trees.

White snow was blowing here and there in the wind on the glossy frozen lake ice, and the trees bearing heavy snow were densely packed together, making it look like a sacred temple in itself.

“I guess so.”

“Building a castle in this cold place. I thought it was bad taste.”

The distant ancestors of Vermont built castles in lands that were not easily accessible to anyone.

There had never been an enemy who had decided to invade the place where half of the year was frozen.

“I think I know why you insisted on that.”

I felt a little happy when Kaian expressed his pure admiration.

It felt like my heart, which had been teased by him and never recovered, had finally found its worth.

“I’m going to dance on this.”

Irena asked me to be the festival fairy.

“You do it, Claudel.”

The festival fairy’s job was to light the huge brazier to signify the start of the festival.

The village girls and the daughters of the high priests all wanted to be the center of attention, but a married woman never did it.

“Me? Wouldn’t other people want to do it? I’m married.”

“So you do it.”

Irena smiled.

“I have to show them that something can change.”

That was right.

In addition, the Sol Continent mercenary group that Evan brought along was having a hard time adjusting to the relatively poor food situation in Valmonde Castle compared to Rowen.

So inside the Valmonde Castle, the Sol Continent mercenary group engaged in a subtle fight with the castle guards.

'There's nothing easy in the world.'

If Evan's daughter were to take charge of the festival fairy herself, many people would have kept quiet.

So after much thought, I said I would do it.

"I have to dance on this."

I felt a little overwhelmed in front of the ice rink which seemed so vast that it was desolate.

"Do I need to practice?"

Kaian readily climbed onto the ice rink and extended his hand.

When I grabbed his hand, Kaian slid his feet and moved well on the ice rink.

They say there's nothing he can't do with his body. Seeing him steadily move in the direction he wanted, I could acknowledge his skills once again.

"But what is this?"

When Kaian pointed with his hand, he saw a frozen rope stuck straight into the middle of the ice.

“It’s to check if it’s okay for people to step onto the ice.”

The servant of Castle Valmonde, who had been quietly following behind them, quickly explained.

“When the lake starts to freeze, it starts from the edge, near where this rope is hung. Your Highness.”

“How strange. I’ve never seen anything like this before.”

“They decide whether or not to hold a festival by looking at the condition of the rope stuck in the middle of the ice.” 

If the rope swayed in the current under the thin ice, the ice was thin.

For someone as big as Evan, he couldn't climb onto the ice until the rope passed through the middle of the ice and froze solid.

“Is it frozen well enough now?”

“Yes.”

Kaian was also seeing the lake frozen like this for the first time, so he asked about this and that. It was fortunate that the one who had been frustrated while following them silently found something to do.

“Kaian. You add to my memories.”

There had been nothing worth remembering at the Castle de Valmonde, but now it seemed that he would remember seeing the lake with Kaian.

It was the time when I was building warm memories alone, unlike the cold outside.

The attendant of Temnes came to find him, and Kaian left the lake first, while I practiced the festival dance here and there and belatedly headed to the carriage.

However, as they approached the carriage, they heard something unbelievable.

“The Duke of Vermont? He must have another plan. Keep a close eye on him.”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments