IHMEB - Chapter 259 < The Two of Us's Reform Ceremony >


“I will.”

When he answered as if he was swearing, she was filled with joy.

Laying Claudel on top of him, Kaian wrapped and untied her hair in his hand.

As he touched the red thing that was not easily found anywhere on the continent, he felt that he was back.

“Julien?”

“Taking a nap.”

Claudel asked, placing her hand on his chest and straightening her body.

“What really happened?”

“How tired must the infantry be after walking all the way from the capital.”

It would be nice if everyone could ride horses, but how could they raise horses for the number of soldiers going on campaign?

Horses were very expensive.

“We want to come to the reform ceremony in a more presentable state. We’ll rest at Promhunt for two days and then come down.” 

It was a chance to see the lord’s wife first, even if only for a moment, but Claudel nodded, thinking that his explanation was sufficient.

“You?”

“Me?”

“Are you hurt or injured anywhere?”

Kaian gently caressed her back.

“Do I look sick?”

“...No.”

Claudel grimaced slightly as if dissatisfied with his playful response, and Kaian felt a sense of fulfillment in living for the first time in a long time when he saw her expression.

Claudel held his hand and looked at it carefully for a moment.

Soon, she checked his other hand, his legs, knees, and feet, and only then did she let out a sigh of relief.

“I told you, I'm not hurt.”

“That’s because you say it as if you’re joking.”

When Kaian reached out his hand, Claudel quickly laid back down in his arms.

“When should you go?”

“Now.”

“I see.”

Claudel let out a small sigh.

“I missed you, Kaian.” 

It was something she had heard before, but it was still sweet no matter how many times she heard it.

“I had a lot to say. I feel like an idiot. I can’t remember.”

He was the same.

“I missed you. That’s all I can say.”

Besides, he really intended to caress her round cheek for a moment, look into her beautiful golden eyes, and give her a light kiss before leaving.

Kaian was always easily seduced by Claudel.

"You can take your time when you get back." 

"I'm busy."

"Didn't you elect a new administrator?"

"I think we should send him back to Pagos."

She hit the nail on the head.

The Pagos region, where the serfs had risen up, was returned to Rowen by Queen Bianque.

Then, when the kingdom returned it to the land, the former Pagos consul who had been brought to Rowen because he had lost his job was supposed to return to his original position.

"Elect a new consul."

"No. Someone who knows Pagos well should go."

Kaian narrowed his eyes.

"You've become the lord and mistress in the meantime."

Claudel smiled bashfully and her eyes sparkled.

"How is it? Do you think I'm doing well?"

"I'd like to be a Duchess who can help me with my work. I'll take care of Julien."

She laughed out loud, wondering what he was thinking.

'Ha. This really makes me not want to go.'

She felt like punching herself, and she thought she could just see his face for a moment.

***

The weather in Rowen on the day of the ceremony was very sunny.

It was a nice day with a blue sky with some clouds, and the sun was not too strong.

Whoosh.

With the sound of horns, warriors wearing armor and carrying spears, shields, and large, heavy weapons marched in a line, and a crowd of people welcomed them along the road, scattering flower pollen they had brought in baskets.

Wow!

What could compare to the joy of a family returning safely?

The fact that Kaian won a surprise attack from the beginning of the war that the King personally waged was widely spread and glorified by those who returned first, and he became almost a God of war. It was not that there was anything wrong with that, because he planned a surprise attack strategy well in the beginning, almost no one died in the Rowen army.

Those who were seriously injured were given compensation so that they could live without working for the rest of their lives.

In a land of abundance where there were no beggars, no one was upset when a large sum of money was given as a reward, enough to enable a family to stand up from a lying position.

Thanks to this, the ceremony was a festival that everyone was happy about.

As the mistress of the castle, I stood in front of the castle gate, dressed in a heavy dress and with a cloak draped over my shoulders, to greet Kaian.

As the lord on horseback crossed the drawbridge, the crowd that had gathered around the moat cheered.

"Welcome back safely."

I bowed my head politely and greeted him politely, and Kaian coldly responded as if displeased.

"Is that the only way to greet a husband you haven't seen in a long time?"

...Yes?

My eyes widened.

I had heard something similar when I and Irena had greeted him at the gate.

Kaian hugged me and kissed me.

Waaaaah!

Gyaaaaah!

The village girls' cries could be heard mixed in with the cheers of the crowd.

"How much longer do I have to educate you?"

I was dumbfounded as I watched him twist his lips as if holding back laughter.

I was extremely nervous because it was my first time attending an event, and this guy!

But it was nothing compared to the joy of Kaian finally returning to the castle.

The master of Rowen Castle had returned.

With a mountain of work to do in the aftermath of the war.

***

During the three days of the triumphal celebration, I was busy without a moment to breathe. I had prepared in advance and opened up the entire storehouse of the castle to provide a drink to those who had gathered in anticipation of the celebratory banquet. But the drinks were being emptied faster than they were being distributed, so eventually the crowd, one by one, came forward and began to carry and eat and drink with their own hands. When the sun rose, people were snoring from drunkenness under the thick shade of the trees here and there.

Then, when night came, they came back to life and continued eating and drinking for several days.

While putting the babies to sleep in the nursery, Hannah grumbled.

“Oh my. Isn't that too much, my lord?”

“Why?”

“I've been praying for your good fortune and safe return all this time. It's hard to even see your face like this.”

Kaian had not been able to see Julien since the first day he arrived at the castle, and now, on the second and third day, he has not been able to see him.

“It can’t be helped. He has a lot of people to take care of.”

“Claudel. Aren’t you upset?”

Hannah secretly switched to friend mode.

"You've been waiting for him for so long.”

“I can see him from now on.”

I said calmly.

“He could have really gotten seriously hurt or not been able to come back. It’s okay since he's here.”

Hannah stuck out her tongue at my words.

“You two really are a mess. When you weren’t there, he was making a fuss to find you and bring you back, but now that you’re here, the lord is so indifferent. You’re the same, saying it’s okay since he's here.”

Hannah couldn’t understand.

We had a separate private ceremony that we had secretly held in advance.

Kaian’s visit had to be kept a secret.

We had already done a lot of things to share, so we could bear it without feeling upset.

'Come to think of it, it was fortunate that I saw him first.'

If he had come back now and not been able to see his face properly for several days, how upset and difficult would it have been? I might have blushed and complained to my husband who had come a long way, and we might have even fought.

'Ugh. I don't like that.'

I shuddered involuntarily.

Fighting with Kaian.

Thinking back to when I was pregnant with Julien, I had been angry and disappointed because he had taken Valquiterre's side or had not properly explained the situation related to the village of Plogne, I would never do that again.

There were many guests at the castle, so I had a lot to take care of, but the butler had cleverly reduced my workload.

Instead, I was putting in much more effort in taking care of Julien now. I had increased the number of guards in the hallway in front of the mistress' bedroom to prevent anyone from making a fuss in our space, but Julien and Hannah's baby seemed to sense something and were anxious. They would often poop and whine for more milk even though they had already had enough. 

On the third day, this morning, the empty seats of those who returned to the Sol Continent Mercenary Corps by boat and enjoyed the banquets of the first and second days were filled again. 

Knock knock. 

There was a knock on the door, and the maid called from outside. 

“Madam, Evan has arrived.” 

“Just a moment.” 

Hannah, who had been disheveled from taking care of the baby, quickly adjusted her clothes. A moment later, Evan burst into the room. A middle-aged man with a build no less than Kaian, he often looked like a lion with long hair that flowed down to his shoulders.

“You’re home.”

When I greeted him, Evan put one arm around his daughter’s shoulder and lightly hugged me before letting go.

“How have he been? Our Julien?”

“He just fell asleep.”

“I see.”

Evan looked into the baby’s basket and smiled happily.

“But your mother?”

“Mom?”

I tilted my head.

“I thought she was going to pick up my father earlier.”

“Really? She wasn’t at the port. Did we miss her?”

However, since she didn’t have much use for ships due to her previous engagement with Vermont, the route from Rowen Port to the castle was a long one, without a doubt.

“She might be at the castle. Should we go look for her?”

When I tried to call the maid, Evan stopped me.

“No. You don’t have to. She’ll come if I wait.”

The nursery was where Madame Cronach usually stayed during work hours. I offered Evan a seat and asked,

“Please sit over here. Would you like some tea?”

“That would be nice.”

Evan nodded, and Hannah called the maid and asked her to bring tea.

However, Madame Cronach did not appear until sunset and the sky turned red.

“Strange. She is not the type to go away without saying anything.”

I looked at Evan at Hannah’s words.

“I’ll have to ask the servants to find her and bring her. My mother is a socialite because of her salon work, so I think she is being held captive somewhere.”

Evan’s face darkened.

“Is she trying to avoid me?”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments