IHMEB - Chapter 250 < Comfort Me >




“You, you...”

The sparkling glass-like golden eyes looked down at him from the horse.

Her long red hair, tied up in a single bundle, fluttered here and there in the wind as she took off her helmet.

The armor, with the shoulders, chest, and helmet made of thin platinum, suited the pureblood Vermont dazzlingly.

She pointed to Valquiter, who was lying on the floor with her sword in hand.

“I, Irena Ol Vermont, will exercise my rightful right to inherit the Dukedom of Vermont from today.”

It was surprising that thr daughter had overthrown her father and said that she had inherited the Dukedom herself.

“From now on, Valmonde will be independent from the Kingdom of Oberon. Therefore, I hereby inform you that I have no obligation to cooperate with the King of Oberon.”

However, there was something else that was truly shocking.

Valquiterre looked up at her and muttered stupidly.

“...Claudel?”

She who called herself Irena was definitely Claudel.

In the meantime, the mercenary men skillfully tied his arms and wrists behind him with a tough and thin rope.

“Who is Irena?”

“Is that the leader’s brother’s daughter?”

“Our leader’s daughter is a Duchess. Is she Claudel?”

“Are you crazy? How dare you speak of such a noble person?”

Seeing the mercenary group causing a ruckus among themselves, Valquiterre could tell that his eyes were not deceiving him.

When Claudel, who called herself ‘Irena’, got off her horse and approached with her sword in hand, Valquiterre felt a chill.

“You fooled me.”

Valquiterre found her words amusing.

“Did I fool you? No. I just told you what you wanted to hear.”

To a woman who had doubts, suspicions, and impatience for confirmation about Kaian, he gave her information that was packaged in a way that was easy to disappoint.

If Claudel had had a strong and solid relationship with Kaian in the first place, that wouldn’t have happened.

“Kaian trusted you. You used both me and Kaian.”

“No way.”

Valq sneered, twisting the corners of his lips.

“Then you wouldn’t have married Kaian to begin with.”

“Why did you marry us?”

Claudel brought up something she had never asked. She had been wondering the whole time.

If Valquiterre was going to propose to her as a Queen, why did he send her to Kaian?

Thanks to that, the rumors that spread throughout the capital’s social circles were nothing short of chaotic.

“I just wanted Kaian to be a little unhappy.”

Just like me.

Just like him, who was surrounded by all sorts of evil spirits but still struggling with the pain that couldn’t be helped.

Who decides what a better life is?

The King was in a higher position than a Duke, so would a child who was sent there against his will expect to live a happier and better life?

Valquiterre would disguise himself and go around small villages to check on the people. It was hard to forget the scene he had seen in a private house back then.

The bread freshly baked in the oven was coarse black bread, made only with water as if it had been kneaded without butter or eggs. When the little ones, with their cheeks flushed with happiness, clung to their mother’s arms, begging her to let them eat it quickly, the kind-looking woman took down a jar of red jam from the shelf as if she was being kind.

Seeing the children happily sharing the steaming bread with jam on it, he wondered if his hunger would improve if he joined them.

The life named Valquiterre was nothing more than an empty shell.

Then, naturally, his eyes turned to the full life that could have been his.

Kaian.

You probably haven’t had the same worries as I have.

But you know what?

That name was mine. It should have been mine.

"I hate Vermont to the extreme. To ruin the war preparations that they had prepared so painstakingly.

Claudel’s face turned sour as she spoke briefly, unable to reveal his misfortune.

“You really are trash.”

“...”

“You tried to harm me and my child.”

She declared solemnly.

“You will pay for what you have done.”

“Well, who can punish me?”

“We will see.”

At that moment, the horses following from afar stopped with a rough clatter of hooves.

“Claudel?”

Kaian dismounted and ran toward her.

***

The first snow fell in the capital.

The Duchess of Vermont smiled faintly as she watched the scene through the window.

“It’s snowing.”

“There’s no problem living here even when it snows.”

Irena nodded as she answered.

“That’s how it looks. First of all, it’s different from the snow falling in Valmonde.” 

The snow falling in Valmonde Castle was a heavy snowfall that clumped together to the size of a thumb. It was very different from the snow that fell like white flecks in the capital’s winter.

“I’ve been doing a lot of research while I’ve been in the capital. I’m thinking about building an underground tunnel around Valmonde Castle so that we can go back and forth in the winter.”

“That’s a good idea.”

The Duchess of Vermont’s eyes, which had been encouraging her daughter’s opinion, turned lonely.

“Today is the day.”

In the letter Claudel sent to Irena, she wrote that both her mother and father, who she thought were dead, had been found.

“Father again?”

Irena's heart was heavy.

Does anyone become a monster when they become the head of the household?

She thought about it.

After much thought, Irena decided to become a monster herself.

The monster's first task was to dethrone his father.

However, Claudel asked her to lend Irena her name.

She did not want the Duke of Vermont to be threatened by his own daughter, Irena.

And the Duchess, who had to guard the castle of Rowen during wartime, could not leave her post.

Irena lent her name to Claudel.

Perhaps somewhere far away in Rowen, irreversible words were being hurled at King Valquiterre in her name.

"From today on, mother cannot leave your room." 

The Duchess, who had come to the capital, saying that she was disappointed in the Duke of Vermont's actions and that she would rather get a divorce, was still his wife.

If the Duke of Vermont, who was tied up in the south, was soon brought in, the two of them might be locked up in their room together for a while.

"Yes. I know."

The castle of Valmonde was frozen solid and the gates would not open until spring.

Even if they knew that the head of the family was in trouble, the helpers could not come down through the snow to the capital.

It was the right time for a coup.

“Please help me a lot when you return to the castle.”

Said Irena.

“It’s not easy to find a husband who can take care of the castle like my mother.”

The Duchess of Vermont tried to shake off her complicated emotions and smiled.

***

Even though a fire was lit in the brazier, the inside of the barracks wasn’t very warm.

Perhaps because there was no furniture, it was so cold that you had to sit right in front of the brazier to feel the heat, and if you moved a little further away and sat on the bed, it was cold because of the draft.

“Ha.”

I sat on the bed, exhausted.

As iy put on my armor, Evan praised me, saying that the armor was made of very light material and of good quality.

However, I couldn’t believe it.

It wasn’t easy for my body, which had lost both physical strength and stamina, to wear light armor by warrior standards.

Fortunately, I didn’t have to walk on my own feet while wearing it.

I walked with a creaking gait, wearing the Duke of Vermont’s armor here and there, and was placed on the horse.

Fortunately, the leather armor was made up of metal armor, so I could adjust it to fit me better by pulling the belt.

If it had been something like the iron armor that Kaian wore, I would have been stuck inside and flailing around without being able to raise my arms.

I was just sighing deeply, not even able to move a finger.

Flick.

A dark, large body suddenly came inside without warning.

“Kaian.”

The moment I saw him, my heart pounded anxiously.

The man who had fought on the battlefield gave off a faint scent of blood and was filled with murderous intent.

My body naturally cringed at the sharp face and eyes that seemed ready to cut me if I touched them wrong.

“Are you out of your mind, coming here?”

I responded sharply to his accusation.

“Yes. I am in my mind. When I thought of what Valquiterre did to Julien, I couldn’t help but say something.”

“Ha. Doing something dangerous. How on earth did you get here?”

“My father sent someone. Rohan gave me a lift by boat.”

Claudel added quickly.

“I came last night.”

A boat on a tributary of the Shen River would take you to the vicinity of Promhunt in a matter of hours.

“Have you forgotten what I asked you to do? I asked you to guard the castle.”

I puffed out ny cheeks in frustration.

“Are you the one who has forgotten? The butler is the best person to guard the castle.”

The Baron Colon, who had already firmly defended the castle while Kaian was away during the last war, was still the second-in-command of the castle.

“What about Julien?”

“Madame Repel, who took good care of him while I was out of my mind, and his nanny are taking care of him. With my mother.”

When I answered sarcastically, Kaian let out a long sigh. 

“That’s not what you meant.” 

“That’s what I meant.” 

I hesitated and looked at him. 

“I wanted to protect you too.” 

At those words, Kaian held his breath. I got up from the bed, placed a hand on his chest, and lifted my heel. I carefully placed my hand on his cheek, finding his red pupils in the darkness and shining my golden eyes. 

“You. Are you okay?” 

The next moment, my slender body was dragged into the arms of a man whose iron smell still lingered. I gasped in surprise. 

“Huk.” 

The leather armor that I had not been able to take off because I had not been able to properly unbuckle fell off my body in an instant with a few gestures from Kaian.

“...Claudel.” 

Kaian looked uneasy and confused as he hugged me and kissed me. 

"Comfort me."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments