IHMEB - Chapter 239 < The Price of My Life's Life >



"Temnes and a table of humiliation, it's disgusting and makes me lose my appetite."

I screamed in my heart.

'Ah, Dad!'

The Dad I remember from my childhood was a very idealistic and generous father. I vividly remember him being infinitely weak and affectionate towards my mother and myself.

When I met him again, he was quite different from my memories, and he had a quirky side.

I tried to understand that it was because he had spent so many years burning with revenge that he couldn't help it. On the other hand, I also thought that it was because he wasn't as careful with his words in front of me as he used to be, not a child.

Anyway, after my father found out that Julien was my son, I felt much more at ease, but I became nervous whenever Evan said something that could provoke Kaian.

'Kaian. Don't be angry.'

Madame Cronach, who was just as sensible as me, stepped forward.

"You. Did you learn manners like that in Vermont?"

“What?”

“I wonder if you abandoned your dignity on the Sol Continent.”

Evan’s eyes briefly looked hurt at her words.

Complex emotions were clearly revealed through his bright golden eyes.

He felt sad that Madame Cronach seemed to be taking Temnes’ side instead of his in this situation, and he was even more upset because she had pointed out that he had changed from before.

“Kaian is my benefactor.”

The man, who was covered in layers of negative emotions, furrowed his eyebrows and raised his voice.

“Huh. I appreciate that you saved my wife, but you didn’t know how to save her, did you?”

Evan seemed to have a lot on his plate.

“At best, it was Queen Sylvia’s order, so he must have been holding onto it as evidence to blackmail you later.” 

It was when I glanced at Kaian with an uneasy feeling.

Sasak.

I felt the tablecloth brush under the table, and Kaian grabbed my hand tightly.

‘Kaian?’

When I turned my head to look at him, he said nonchalantly.

“I won’t deny it.”

Unlike Evan, Kaian’s tone was emotionless.

“At that time, I hadn’t even had my coming-of-age ceremony. I wasn’t in a position to refuse what my father, the head of the household, had ordered through Her Majesty the Queen.”

He said calmly.

“I had heard about the village of Plogne and the sacred tree Arbor from my mother. She had seen it herself many times when she was a Princess, and she said she wanted to show it to me.”

I felt my heart pounding for some reason. I had always thought of him as a hot-tempered person, but the way he held my hand as if it were okay made me feel mature.

So I also held Kaian’s hand tightly.

“After seeing the state of the village, I judged that something was wrong. I was only ordered to completely erase all traces of the village without knowing the details.”

Kaian’s eyes turned to Madame Cronach.

“That’s why I saved you. I thought you might be a clue to solving something very complicated and wrong.”

“He saved me even though he went against the King’s orders.”

Evan pouted as the atmosphere shifted to one side.

“Ah. Right. I’ll admit what I have to admit.”

He straightened up from his hunched position and gestured outside.

Outside the door that was open to bring food and serve, members of the Sol Continent mercenary group, their clothes tattered from a long boat ride, came in carrying large boxes.

Thump.

As soon as the heavy object was placed on the floor, it made a tremendous noise and showed off its presence.

“What is this?”

Evan said arrogantly when Kaian asked.

“The blood of Vermont cannot be indebted to Temnes. I will pay for my wife’s life with this.”

His subordinates stood there with faces that seemed to have a lot to say, and when Evan made a gesture, they opened the lid of the large box.

Whoa!

Even at first glance, it contained a huge amount of jewels and gold dust. It was a box so large that it was hard to believe that it was filled to the brim with them, so much so that the servants and maids standing in the hallway peeked at it and exclaimed in admiration.

“Take this.”

“...”

Kaian originally had a face that didn’t show his emotions easily.

His face was usually cold and scary, but now I could read Kaian’s mind better than anyone else.

‘You’ve become gloomy.’

I felt so sorry that I didn’t know what to do, so I repeatedly opened and closed the hand I had been holding under the table as if to comfort him.

“Ugh, the food is going to get cold. Ah. I’m hungry.”

As I spoke awkwardly, those who had not been able to finish the food due to the atmosphere outside quickly brought the meat dish.

“You’re just eating like this. You’re so shameless.”

In the meantime, seeing that he insisted on adding another word to the table manners that were different from Valmonde’s, I felt something was on my stomach even though I hadn’t eaten anything.

“Try this.”

I quickly offered Evan the delicious meat dish.

“You said you were hungry. Hurry up and eat.”

“Yes.”

“Hmm. Hmm. Well, the food is edible.”

Evan emptied his plate at a frightening speed and quickly continued to take the large bowls of food that he had just laughed at as “shameless.”

“You seem to really like it. Can’t you honestly say it’s delicious?”

I was surprised to see myself feeling disappointed.

“You didn’t even prepare it. I thought you were the one serving it.”

In a way, it was natural for me to be the hostess of Rowen Castle, but since I had never been in the habit of taking care of guests, this was also the first time I had felt this way.

“Come on, eat.”

While I was lost in thought, Kaian took care of me. As he moved the finely chopped meat onto a plate and personally served me the sauce made by mashing the boiled vegetables, the hunger that had been forgotten for a moment returned.

“Thank you.”

I didn’t realize that Evan was glancing at our affectionate appearance.

***

After finishing the meal, the atmosphere improved a little.

The butler brought out tea and then grabbed me and sat down with me.

“Baron Colon? He’s the one known as the guard dog of Temnes.”

“That’s right. I’m glad that you remember me from far away in Valmonde.”

Even the man who had been called the real power of Rowen Castle for a long time wasn’t the kind of person who would just ignore provocation. Even though he was treated as a guard dog, he responded calmly.

‘Oh, no.’

Feeling the barely abated fight ignited again, I hurried to speak.

“We could turn it to our advantage.”

Madame Cronach took her words.

“According to Evan, the Duke of Vermont and the King seem to be planning to attack Rowen together.”

Evan nodded.

“The Royal Army is fighting the serfs in Pagos. They must have considered the Royal Army’s losses, but they must have been planning to bring in a lot of mercenaries and give them to the King to show off.”

“Did you receive money from the Duke of Vermont?”

He turned serious when Madame Cronach said.

“Of course. Where did you think they came from?”

Kaian’s face softened as Evan pointed to the treasure chest on the living room floor, its lid open as if gaping open, emitting a dazzling golden light.

“Considering that you raided the Duke of Vermont’s private fortune, it feels like a meaningful gift.”

“You speak well.”

“They must be thinking of advancing south to Rowen. Pagos is in the southwest of the kingdom. They must have planned to attack Pagos and then advance all the way down to Rowen.”

Kaian moved his chess piece to Pagos on the map.

“But there’s a variable. The resistance of the Pagos serfs is stronger than we thought.”

“So what are you going to do?”

Evan asked. Madame Cronach looked at him.

“The King cut off the telegram. The only way to get news from here was to attack Rowen and have you send the news up. There’s an opening.”

“What do you want me to do? Telling me to work like a dog for Temnes...” 

It was when Evan was becoming grumpy.

Knock.

There was a knock on the door, and soon Madame Repel came into the room carrying Julien.

“Madam. I’ve brought the young master.”

“Give him here.”

Kaian got up and hugged Julien with one arm.

“Bah!”

When the nanny fed him his fill, the boy, who was in a good mood, opened his mouth into an almond shape and made a cute sound as soon as he saw his father’s face. When Madame Repel left, Kaian walked around the table to Evan.

“Would you like to hold him?”

“...”

Evan couldn’t take his eyes off Julien as if he was transfixed.

“You need to support his neck.”

“Uh. Uh.”

Evan looked at a loss as his round red hair touched his palm.

“Mamma...”

As Julien's small, pretty lips opened and closed and made baby sounds, Rvan eyes, wrinkled from a hard life, turned red.

“Oh. Yes. Yes. Heh heh.”

Surprisingly, the laughter that burst out without a word was the first time Evan had shown himself since arriving at Rowen Castle.

The whole time, he was making a face, saying, "Temnes" and being a nemesis. The rest of the time, he would hold onto Madame Cronach and cry or be depressed.

"Maa."

"Claudel. Look at this. He's calling you."

"I don't think so."

"Really?"

Every time the baby smiled, his toothless gums were revealed. Everyone sitting there was entranced by the weak and fragile smile of the being.

"He looks just like when you were little." 

He looked a lot like Kai'an.

I thought Julien looked a lot like him.

Even though he was a baby, the line from his forehead to his nose and the stubbornness that came out when he shut his mouth like a newborn were just like Kaian.

However, since the baby had red hair and golden eyes, everyone whispered and said, "Vermont," which was really sad, and even Evan said, "He looks like you," which made me a little upset.

But I nodded my head, thinking that it was good, and happily watched Julien, who was seeing his grandfather for the first time and doing babysitting.

Evan, who had been staring blankly at Julien for a while, let out an awkward cough.

“Ugh. Ahem. What can I do?”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments