ICTFF - Chapter 43




Witch vs. Fool (3)

Eldern's castle was decorated in a thoroughly practical manner.

The windows were fitted with bars to focus on insulation and defense rather than aesthetics, and swords and shields hung on the walls instead of famous paintings.

It doesn't seem to be a decoration, as it's shiny enough to be used right away.

Come to think of it, there was a sword hanging in the guest room too.

Since it is an area where monster attacks are frequent, it seems that it was prepared so that anyone can use it in times of emergency.

Inside the dining room was the Duke of Eldern, Tail, and a middle-aged woman in riding attire.

Wavy red bob cut hair, white skin, and facial features that are sharp rather than elegant.

Even though it was our first time meeting, I couldn't help but recognize her because she was so famous. Armian Saint Eldern. The first Princess to be knighted in the Empire.

'That's the Duchess.'

As I was thinking that and about to enter the dining room, Tail glanced at me and stood up.

"I will eat separately."

"Sit down."

"Mother."

"I told you to sit down."

Armian stared at Tail intently. Just looking at her gave me goosebumps from the Intimidation.

As Tail finally sat down, a heavy silence fell.

Armian's gaze fell on me as I stood in front of the dining room, unable to go inside.

"We have a guest."

She came up to me. She looked as big as an average man, perhaps because of her slender build.

"It is an honor to meet you. I am Armian Saint Eldern."

She kissed the back of my hand.

In contrast to her low, monotonous voice, the way she held my hand was careful and her tone of voice was dignified.

Armian was known for being more chivalrous than the knights.

So I heard that the late Emperor was very worried.

She has no cuteness, is blunt, and is more of a person who uses her sword than words to solve problems. So, do you think she could ever get married?

However, contrary to the Emperor's worries, Armian married Duke EIdern less than a year after the end of the Great Rift. 

"I am honored, Duchess. I am Millenia Astrod."

"Please call me Armian."

"I will. Could you please speak more comfortably, Armian?" 

"Yes."

As we sat down at the table, the servants began to bring out food. Duke Eldern and Armian were talking.

"Honey, did you eat well today? You promised me that no matter how busy you are, you won't skip meals."

"I just had a simple meal."

"Good job."

Duke Eldern affectionately stroked Armian's messy hair. His gaze on his wife was filled with affection.

"I guess it'll be hard to eat when you're so out of it. I'll tell the maid to prepare a packed lunch starting tomorrow. Be sure to bring one."

"It's okay..."

Armian looked at Ian instead of answering.

Duke Eldern, Tail, and even the servants who were carrying the food stopped for a moment and looked at Ian.

But Ian didn't care. He just stubbornly unfolded the napkin and laid it on my lap.

Then, I received an empty plate from the servant, cut up the steak that was given to me, and put it on top. He also took some of the vegetable dish without sauce and put it next to it.

The series of actions were as natural as the flow of water. It seemed as if he wasn't even conscious of how it would look to others.

"I put the steak in the center and the vegetable dishes on the right."

A look of absurdity spread across Duke Eldern's face, and even Armian, who had been expressionless, looked surprised.

It would be impolite to bring a personal maid to dinner without permission from the invitee.

So I tried to apologize and call Nadia, but it turned out that there was no need.

Because the little Duke was serving meals as if he were a maid.

'Oh my God.'

My face felt hot. Ian handed me the cutlery himself, not knowing what to do.

Oh, please. Just stay still.

Duke Eldern slowly blinked his round eyes and sighed as if he had realized something belatedly.

"Oh, I was short-sighted. Millenia, I'll call the maid, so wait a moment."

"It's okay. I can do it."

Duke Eldern closed his mouth at Ian's indifferent answer. He quickly intervened, fearing that things would get even more awkward.

"Thank you for your help, Little Duke._

"Never mind."

Fortunately, the Duke and Duchess were in a smooth mood, but Tail was different. His cold gaze was fixed on my cheek.

I hadn't even started eating yet, but I was starting to feel queasy. It was hard to pretend to be calm in front of someone who hated me.

"There isn't much to eat, but I hope it suits your taste. Make yourself at home."

"Thank you, Your Excellency."

The Eldern family ate incredibly quickly.

While I was eating three steaks, everyone else was finishing an entire steak.

We barely had any conversation. When Duke Eldern raised a topic, Armian and his two sons would simply give short answers or listen in silence.

Although it must have been quite embarrassing, Duke Eldern didn't seem to care. Should I join the conversation too? 

Ian said, handing me water as I looked flustered. 

"Eat slowly."

Then he put new food on my plate.

Then, Armian, who had already finished eating and was blankly observing us, immediately added food to my plate.

"It's salmon. It's on top of vegetables."

As I ate quietly, Armian's eyes changed.

"Oh, yes, thank you."

After that, the number of people taking care of me increased to two. The food on my plate never decreased.

As the meal was almost over, the waiters brought out dessert.

Ian said as he cut the piece of cake that was given to me into small pieces.

"Young Lady, tell me about your dealings with the Cleaster family."

"...Haven't you told them yet?"

"...Yes."

I thought Ian would have informed them as soon as he returned, but it really seemed like it was the first time Duke Eldern and Armian had met.

"What do you mean, the Cleaster family?"

"I bought grain from the Clesters. It will arrive soon."

"...You bought grain for our territory?"

"It's not that much.'

Duke Eldern's round eyes widened even further.

In his past life, Duke Eldern would buy grain a few months later to avoid winter when transportation costs doubled.

However, due to Oslo's scheme, they were forced to buy grain at a price that would have been better spent in the winter.

"Big kid, why didn't you tell me something so important?"

"I omitted it because I thought it would be better for you to hear it directly from Young Lady."

"No, there's something else I need to omit..."

Duke Eldern trailed off, seemingly embarrassed. But soon he looked at me with a moved expression.

"We have received a great favor... We will never forget this."

"I just did what I had to do. If it helped, that's enough for me."

Armian silently took my hand. It was the knight's hand, with calluses clearly visible.

"Thanks."

It was a single word that touched my heart more than any greeting using all kinds of fancy words.

This isn't something that deserves to be greeted like this. I just did it to relieve my guilt a little... As I lowered my head with a slightly tingled nose, Duke Eldern continued speaking. 

"Millennia, you are Eldern's benefactor. Do whatever you want here. As the master of Eldern, I permit it." 

"Then I have a favor to ask."

"Really? Go ahead and tell me."

"I would like permission to enter the containment area."

The sound of dishes suddenly stopped. I quietly lowered my eyes as the gazes gathered around me.

I know that my actions may seem pretentious. I know that they deserve to be laughed at.

But wasn't this a journey that I had started with the determination to take on everything? I couldn't hide behind my family's fence forever. 

"That's where the patients are gathered. Of course. Rahon will make a cure, but you could get sick. Why would you want to go to a place like that?"

"I heard that there is a shortage of hands. I was wondering if there was anything I could do."

My heart pounded even though I was prepared to be criticized. Fortunately, Duke Eldern did not laugh. He did look troubled, though.

"That's a really nice idea, but... wouldn't it be better to help outside the containment zone?" 

"Don't Rahon mostly stay in the quarantined area?"

"Because he is the 'Savior.'"

"Then I think I, as Rahon's assistant, should also enter the containment area."

"You're Rahon's assistant? You?"

"Yes."

Duke Eldern scratched his cheek with an embarrassed expression.

"Hmm. I'm worried that it might be too difficult for a well-raised young lady to do."

"I will be careful not to disturb you as much as possible."

"Huh? What do you mean, by interruption? I just thought it would be difficult for you." 

"Oh, if that's the case, then it's okay. I'm not that weak."

"It's not that you're weak..."

Duke Eldern swallowed the end of his words.

I think I know what he couldn't bring himself to say. He must want to say, "Can't you see ahead?"

"Honey."

Armian quietly took Duke Eldern's hand. Duke Eldern hesitated for a moment and nodded.

"If you promise to quit whenever it gets too hard, I'll let you do it."

"Thanks-."

"Pretending to be good...."

The atmosphere became dampened as if cold water had been poured on Tail's laughter that suddenly popped out.

Duke Eldern's expression instantly hardened.

"Tail, what did you just say?"

"I find it ridiculous that you would take care of people who are sick because of you. If that isn't being nice, then what is? Is it hypocrisy?"

"Tail!"

Finally, a shout burst out from Duke Eldern's mouth.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments