ICTFF - Chapter 38




It's a flower because it's pretty (4)

The consciousness that had been lost for a long time suddenly returned.

Is it dawn? I was looking out the window into the dimly lit dusk, and I felt a commotion.

The neighing of horses, the laughter of knights. Nadia's voice calling out to me, 'What about our lady?' Finally arrived.

The moment when I suddenly stand up with a happy heart.

"Sleep well."

I heard someone's voice.

I thought about what Rahon had said before I went into the bedroom, then shook my head.

The voice was different from Rahon's. It was much younger and thinner. It even sounded like a girl's voice.

'When did I hear this voice?'

While I was thinking deeply, the bedroom door opened wide and Nadia came rushing in.

"Miss!"

"Nadi ugh!"

Nadia ran towards me and threw herself at me, hugging me tightly. I was pushed by her and fell onto the bed.

"Miss. I hate you!"

"I... Nadia"

"Do you think I can survive if something goes wrong with you? I'm not happy about you sacrificing yourself for me! Don't do it again! Never again! Ugh!"

"Um, sorry, but could you loosen up your arms a little? I'm so out of breath... cough."

"OMG!"

Nadia, who was startled and let go of me, cried for a long time before finally stopping her tears.

"Hmm, it's a lie that I hate you. I love you, Miss."

"Thank you."

"But, miss my eyes are strange. They won't open."

Nadia's eyes were swollen and puffy as if she had been stung by a bee. They were so red and bloodshot that it seemed like it would hurt to even blink.

"It's because it's swollen. Can you see ahead?"

"Ugh. I can't see it very well."

"Should I ask Rahon to treat you?"

"Why are you wasting your precious energy on something like this? But how did he get here? Does the 'Savior' also have foresight?"

"He said he came because he needed some medicinal ingredients. He must have come here often because there are many rare medicinal herbs in this mountain."

"Oh, I see..."

Nadia stared blankly into space. Her blue eyes were half-hidden by her swollen eyelids and she looked hazy.

"You look like you're lying there all seductively, wiggling your fingers but you do some tough things, too."

I couldn't tell if Nadia's evaluation was admiration or criticism, but I laughed.

'Now that I think about it, the benefactor candidates all have different appearances.'

Ian was more handsome than beautiful. His physique and appearance were reminiscent of a mythological God.

Kalit was a sharp and handsome man in appearance, but his actions were extremely soft and gentle. Perhaps because of the sense of dissonance felt there, his appearance was rather buried.

Rahon was simply beautiful. The moment I saw him, the name of the goddess of beauty who was born with the wrong gender came to mind.

Of course, his personality seems to have an eccentric side.

"I have to give 9 gold to Rahon."

"Huh? Why?"

"He values every action of his. I think he does this so that people do not underestimate the power of the Guardian."

"Oh..."

Nadia let out a sigh and looked into space again.

I could tell just by looking at her expression that she was thinking of Rahon again.

"I ran into him when I came in earlier."

"Yeah, I thought so."

"Yes?"

"No, keep talking."

"At that time, Rahon said, 'Why haven't you changed since you were young?"

"..."

"And then he snickered... I almost cried. Even though he was still young, he grew up so well. I was so thankful for that. I wanted to pray to God."

"What does that mean?"

"There are many people who were pretty when they were young, but then changed when they grew up. But Rahon not only maintained his good looks but also helped develop them. I'm grateful for that."

"Other than that. Have you ever met Rahon when you were young?"

"...Oh, no?"

"Are you going to lie to me?"

Nadia rolled her eyes, which were barely open. I urged her on again.

"What's going on? What are you hiding from me?"

"The Marquis told me not to say anything..."

"What?"

"He said it wouldn't be good to stimulate your memories. So he told me not to bring up that story..."

"When will that be?"

"That was when the mistress passed away."

My mother died of tuberculosis.

I heard that my father asked the Holy See of Shancrecia for help from the 'Savior', but was rejected every time.

This was because an epidemic was spreading in the Grand Duchy of Rome at the time.

So, he probably didn't come to treat my mother.

"Did he come to my mother's funeral?"

"Uh... Yes."

It was a somewhat disappointing answer, but my mind was already occupied with other thoughts.

"It wasn't a lie..."

"Is he lying?"

"He talked to me as if we met when we were young. I thought he was lying because I had no memory of it."

At the time, I didn't remember much because I had hit my head and fainted from the shock of my mother's death. So even if Rahon had attended my mother's funeral, I probably wouldn't have remembered it.

"Does the 'Savior' actually attend the funeral of a foreign noble?" 

"Well, well?"

"Did I ever have a headache when I was little?"

"Yes."

"Really? Were I sick often?"

"I, I remember well. You were nine years old at that time."

"Oh, right."

The headache was real too.

But Rahon said that I had been suffering from a headache for quite some time. How could he have known that when he had only been there briefly during the funeral...?

Ah! He must have used his power.

The 'Savior' can determine the patient's condition just by touching them. It was clear that Rahon had used his power on me.

Ah... I'm sorry.

Even though he treated me, I didn't remember and instead doubted his intentions.

But isn't it insufficient to say that just one contact is proof of a benefactor?

"Where is Lord Rahon?"

"Outside. Check out Montpain."

"Did they find Montpain?"

"Yes, the knights found them thrown in a sack in the stream near the campsite and had to scoop them out one by one. That's why they arrived late."

"...Let's go out. I need to see it with my own eyes."

"It's really cold outside?"

"I can't just stay indoors while I'm in Eldern. You have to adapt."

"Then, please change your clothes and put on your coat and shawl. Please also change your shoes to fur slippers."

It was so cold outside the lodge that I could almost feel my breath coming out. Even though I was wearing thick clothes, my shoulders hunched involuntarily.

Rahon was looking at Montpain with a serious face.

'You're taller than I thought."

He looked similar to Ian. His shoulders and arms were quite thick.

'There was a reason the clothes were so big.'

"Rahon."

"Why did you come out? It's cold."

"I came out because you said you were looking for Montpain. I guess it's nearby. The scent is strong."

"Do you have a keen sense of smell?"

"After losing my eyesight, my other senses became more sensitive."

"It's not that uncomfortable?" 

"It means it's uncomfortable. It's better than being dull."

I answered with a smile.

"How's Montpain? Is it in good condition?"

"It's okay if it gets wet. All herbs are resistant to water. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild." 

"Thank God."

"Yes. Just dry it well."

Rahon shook his hands and smiled.

"You said you helped them gather the Montpain with your power?"

"Somehow..."

"Excessive humility is poison. God has given us guardians, but that doesn't mean we should take their help for granted."

Wow, I couldn't help but exclaim. He looks easygoing on the outside, but he actually has a serious side.

"As expected, there was a deep meaning behind Rahon's actions."

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"You get paid every time you heal or help someone. Doesn't that mean we shouldn't take the Guardian's power lightly?"

"Where is that kind of thing when it comes to making money? Just make a lot of money and that's it."

"... Yes?"

"Money is the best. This is a world where money can even bring the dead back to life."

Oh my, the Guardian is revealing money. I was momentarily dumbfounded by the unexpected answer.

After a while, a thought occurred to me. This person couldn't possibly be my benefactor.

Even if we had met once when we were young, he wouldn't have come to the land of death to find me without asking for anything in return.

'The scar on the back... I guess I was mistaken. I didn't see it properly.'

Unlike the Empire, tattoos were popular in the Holy Nation of Shancrecia.

So, Rahon must have had a tattoo on his back...

Coincidentally, although the shape and location were similar to those of my benefactor, what I saw was a part smaller than a little fingernail.

If you take it off and look at it, it will look completely different from a flower.

Finally, I can narrow down the candidates. I asked with confidence.

"Rahon, have you ever seen a flower-shaped scar?"

"Is there such a thing? I'm hearing about it for the first time."

"..."

Rahon answered indifferently and turned around.

Her earlobes were dyed bright red.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments