ICTFF - Chapter 37




It's a flower because it's pretty (3)

After dinner, Rahon brought me some tea. The amount of money I had to give him increased by 2 gold.

After filling my stomach and drinking some warm tea, I started to feel sleepy.

I'm not unconscious, I'm just sleepy.

The power of the 'Savior' was once again amazing. If it weren't for his power, I would have been seriously ill by now.

Ian grabbed my hand as if he had read my aura.

"I'll show you to your bedroom. You can get some shut-eye until the knights arrive."

"Thank you."

"Sleep well."

"Yes."

Coming into the bedroom, I placed Rahon's cardigan on the dressing table.

"You always had a headache when you were little."

"You really have forgotten everything."

I didn't show it at the time, but I was secretly curious.

I can't understand why he would lie like that. It's like when we met when we were young.

Even though I lost most of my memories when I was young, I couldn't have forgotten that face if I had seen it.

"I don't understand your intentions."

I laid down on the bed, sighing. It's not too late to worry after sleeping.

***

"..."

I woke up rubbing my eyes.

It was 3:30 in the morning, the time to sleep, but I couldn't fall asleep because I needed to go to the bathroom.

"Nadia..."

I tried calling Nadia softly, but all she did was stretch out her arms and legs and snort.

I guess I'll just go alone.

It's embarrassing that I'm ten years old and still can't go to the bathroom by myself because I'm scared.

I got out of bed carefully.

I took down Nadia's pajamas, which were rolled up so that her stomach was clearly visible, and covered her with a blanket.

Like a brave child, I went to the bathroom alone and was about to go back to bed when my feet suddenly stopped.

"Should I sleep with Mom...?"

Mom has been really sick lately, so I haven't been able to sleep with her. So I think today will be okay.

I tiptoed and walked across to my mother's bedroom.

There was a small light on so it wasn't hard to find my mom.

As I gently placed my hand on her pale, dry cheek, my mother slowly opened her eyes.

"My daughter is here... "

"Mom, can I sleep with you?"

I climbed up onto the high bed, groaning.

"Then, come up."

As I clung to my mother's side, she smiled and hugged me tightly. In the past, when I hugged her like this, she smelled warm, but now she only smelled like medicine.

I felt a little sad and buried my face in my mother's chest so she wouldn't see my expression.

"Are you sleepy?"

"Yes."

"Should Mom sing you a lullaby?"

A mother with tuberculosis cannot sing, because her lungs are so sore that it is difficult for her to even breathe.

As I hesitated, my mother kissed my forehead.

"It's okay, Mom just wanted to sing for you."

"Then I want to hear 'Butterfly."

"Butterfly, butterfly... Haa, haa, fly to my dream. Carrying beautiful dreams on your wings, fly high and come"

My mother gasped for breath every time she sang each line. I shook my head, suddenly feeling uneasy.

"Stop, stop. I'm sleepy now."

"Our daughter's eyes are still wide open. Until you fall asleep, Mom, Phew, I'll sing for you."

Even though I was worried, I couldn't stop. I wanted to hear my mother's lullaby.

That morning, someone woke me up with a start.

"... Uh. Nanny?"

"Miss, my young lady, how..."

The whole family was gathered in Mom's bedroom.

What's going on? I rubbed my sleepy eyes and looked at my mom. Mom was still asleep. Her face was bathed in sunlight. was particularly pale.

"Mom?"

"Miss!"

My nanny cried and hugged me.

Beside her, Nadia was sobbing, while Kjer and Chevio were crying and clinging to our mother's bed.

It was only after I finally saw the tears flowing from my father's eyes that I realized.

The fact that my mother died.

It's my fault.

It was my fault for asking my mother, who couldn't even breathe properly due to tuberculosis, to sing a lullaby.

After that, I couldn't get out of bed.

I shouldn't have asked my mom to sing me a lullaby.

When I thought about that, my head hurt so much that I couldn't even stand properly.

It was after I had spent several days lying in bed like that that someone came to the mansion.

The child with mysterious purple eyes. Shancrecia's 'Savior'.

At first glance, it seemed like my father had used all his connections to ask him to treat me.

The nanny was yelling that the guardian had come to visit, but that wasn't what mattered to me. As soon as I saw him, my mouth fell open.

"Wow, what a pretty girl..."

"It's a brother?!"

He was as pretty as an angel, but a little bit fierce.

Every day, he would get angry whenever he saw me, but when I looked down, he would click his tongue and come closer to me, just like a cat raised by Ibida.

Today the child was angry at me again.

"What's the point of using all my power to cure it? You'll just go back to normal in a day!"

"Sorry."

"Oh my, you innocent child, you're apologizing again just because I got angry? That's when you should get angry and say, 'Who are you to be acting like this?"

What the hell is this?

Anyway, it was my fault. No matter how hard he tried, I didn't get better.

Because of that, the child has been staying at our house for already two weeks.

It would have been okay to just turn back since it was twice as long as the original schedule, but the child didn't do that.

I glanced at the child and then slowly grabbed his hand.

"Huh?"

As the child raised the corners of his long eyes, his tear ducts also rose. The child particularly hated being touched.

As I shrugged my shoulders, the child sighed deeply and let go of my hand.

"Hehe, you're not angry today."

That made me laugh bashfully.

"I was wrong. I'm sorry for always being sick."

"Ah, what should I do with this innocent child?"

The child glared at me and then patted my head hard. It hurt a little, but I remained quiet.

Look at this. He's prettier when he's not angry.

I held back the words that were rising to the tip of my tongue. The child hated being told he was pretty more than being touched.

"Millennia, you did nothing wrong."

"I asked my mom to sing me a lullaby..."

"Your mother didn't die because of you. She was called by God when the time came."

"Lies. I know what it's like to die."

"That's right, it's a lie. But if you don't think that way, you'll die."

"I did that too." 

The child whispered softly and smiled sadly.

"Are you okay with having a headache all the time? Do you want your family to keep worrying about you?"

"No... I don't like that."

"Then it's time to get up now."

"I want to do that too. When I wake up, my head hurts. I remember going to my mom's bedroom."

The child cupped my cheek. 

"What you need is not power."

"Yes?"

"I'll give you some medicine I made specially for you. I made it for myself to take, but I'll give it to you."

"Medicine?"

"Yeah, it's really effective. It's a drug that erases memories."

"If I eat that, won't my head hurt?"

"Yeah, it won't hurt."

As the child spoke, he put a brown pill into my mouth.

"Swallow. Get a good night's sleep and everything will be okay."

Contrary to what he said, the medicine wasn't that bad. It was just that I was so sleepy that I couldn't stand it."

"Brother..."

"How many times have you called me brother! Phew, just let me off the hook this once. Why."

"Can't we meet when I get better?"

"No, we can meet."

"Lie..."

"That's right, that's a lie."

"Don't go. Live with me at my house."

"If you tell me in ten years, I'll think about it."

"Do I have to wait that long?"

"You can't even invest ten years to get a beauty like me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about..."

"It's a story about sleeping."

"I don't want to sleep... If I sleep, you'll have to go home."

"No, I'll stay until you wake up."

"Really?"

"No, that's a lie."

The child covered my eyes with his hand as I tried to stay awake.

I closed my eyes, unable to overcome my drowsiness.

"Sleep well."

When I opened my eyes again, the child was gone.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments