ICTFF - Chapter 35




It's a flower because it's pretty (1)

lan and Kalit, and even Rahon.

'How many benefactor candidates are there?!'

Things were going completely differently than expected.

Of course, I knew that it wouldn't be easy to confirm the flower-shaped scar.

But I never thought that the number of people who need to be verified would increase to three.

'It's hard to check one, so how can I check three?"

I was exhausted by the gloomy situation.

I was lying in bed, holding my head and sighing when Rahon came up.

He was wearing a checkered shirt under a knitted sweater with an elongated neck, and the shirt was buttoned up to his neck.

"You seem to have been really shocked. Drink this. It will clear your mind."

"Thank you."

You're surprisingly kind. As I was thinking that and receiving the teacup, he immediately extended his hand.

"It's 2 gold."

"...?"

What does it mean? Is it a warning not to drink a single cup of tea without feeling guilty?

"Ah, I don't have any money right now. Can I give it to Nadia when she arrives?"

"Nadia, your maid?"

"Yes."

"Okay, then."

He responded nonchalantly, then sat down on the bed and naturally placed his hand on my forehead. I flinched in surprise.

"How are you? Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Huh? Are I really fine?"

I was drenched in cold rain all night and almost drowned. I was prepared to suffer for quite some time before losing consciousness, but my body felt so light.

"Rahon, you healed me."

"Don't worry, Ian will pay."

"...?"

Why have you been talking about money all this time?

Oh, is that so?

People tend to rely on the power of the Guardians and take it for granted. This could be a warning about that.

I am very deep in thought.

"Just because your body is fine doesn't mean your mind is clear. You know that, right?"

The power of the 'Savior' is strong enough to revive even a half-decapitated person, but it cannot heal the mind.

It was a widely known story, so I nodded silently.

"Control your mind. You especially need to be careful because you are so innocent." 

Innocent?

The moment I heard that, I realized, oh, this person doesn't know me well. A witch who plans to use her power to place Oslo on the throne and ultimately swallow up the empire.

Or a fool who is so blinded by love that she even neglects her duty as a guardian.

Because this is what people thought of me.

'Still, it's much better to be innocent than a witch.'

It wasn't that I didn't want to hear it, but I laughed without realizing It.

"Oh my, you innocent child!"

"Yes?"

"Huh?"

Didn't I just hear someone's voice?

That's strange. When I pressed my hand against my ear and took it away, Rahon frowned.

"Do you have a headache?"

"No, I just thought I heard something... I'm okay now."

"Ian is sleeping in the living room right now, so when he wakes up later, ask him to bring you some bath water."

Ask the Little Duke to give me some bath water. Are you kidding me?

"If you have a headache, be sure to tell me."

"Thank you, but..."

I wrapped myself in a blanket and continued talking.

"Do you have any clothes to change into?"

"I only have one. Can I give you that?"

"Please."

After a while, he said while handing me the clothes.

"If you give it back, 5 gold. If you keep it 20 gold."

"I'll give it all to Nadia when she comes."

"Yes."

What a unique person you are. I thought as I unfolded my clothes.

The clothes were very neat as if they represented the owner's personality.

Even though it doesn't look luxurious. It's neat and tidy without a single wrinkle, so just looking at it makes me feel good.

I buried my face carefully in it. I could smell the scent of my benefactor's soap.

Until now, I didn't think much about the scent of soap, because I naturally thought it was a ready-made product.

But if it's a handmade product, it's a different story. There will be very few people who will use it.

Now the scent of soap was an important sign of a benefactor. 

'Let's organize it.'

Candidate 1. Ian Tennessee Eldern

- The shape of his hands and the calluses are similar to my benefactor. 

- His physique is also closest to my benefactor. 

- His smells like soap to a benefactor.

Candidate 2. Kalit Busha Antiete 

- His chess-playing habits are exactly the same as my benefactor's. 

- He knows the flower-shaped scar.

Candidate 3. Rahon Shancrecia

- He made the soap that my benefactor is believed to have used. 

- Has a flower-shaped scar or tattoo on his back.

Of these, the person I have the most contact with is Ian. He is Chevio's best friend and he often comes to our house. Of course, I don't remember him.

On the other hand, I had no contact with Rahon at all. Today was my first meeting with him.

"For a moment."

Suddenly, I remembered the conversation with Rahon that I had passed over without thinking.

"Ah... I don't have any money right now. Can I give it to Nadia when she arrives?"

"Nadia, your maid?"

How did you know Nadia was my maid?

'Did he hear from Ian?'

Of course. If Ian hadn't told him, Rahon would have no way of knowing.

Anyway, now that the number of benefactor candidates has increased to three, it was necessary to change the method.

Let's eliminate the person with the least chance from the list of candidates. Then the person who is left in the end will be the benefactor.

I gathered my thoughts and put them in Rahon's clothes. Then I checked my appearance in the vanity mirror and tilted my head.

"Why is it so big?"

Was Rahon's physique this big? He looked thin?

I rolled up my sagging sleeves and trouser legs and went out to the reception room.

***

Rahon took out a handkerchief and sprayed some clear medicine on it.

And when he waved the handkerchief near Ian's sleeping face, he opened his eyes with a start, having fallen asleep on the sofa.

"Ah, damn."

As Ian tried to get up, swearing, Rahon grabbed his shoulder and held it down.

"Get up slowly. If you move suddenly, your bones will ring."

"You..."

Even though Ian glared at him with a murderous gaze, Rahon remained calm.

He nonchalantly pushed Ian's long legs away and sat down on the sofa.

"Our Little Duke, you're going to kill someone with your eyes. Why are you glaring like that?"

"How long has it been?"

"About six hours?"

"What have you been doing?"

"I didn't do anything. I just let you sleep because you looked tired."

"You said you gave me sleeping pills for free. Are you telling me what to believe?"

"..."

"If you are rude to her, even the most protective person will not let it go."

"I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't even spoken to that woman."

Rahon, who had been shamelessly lying, drank tea elegantly.

"When she comes out, give her a bath."

"Who? Millenia?"

"Yes."

"You're crazy."

"Who told you to wash her? Just give her some warm bath water."

"Is she still cold?"

"I'm trying to warm her mind, not her body." 

"Mind?"

"It's okay for a guy like you who's used to death. But not her. She's experienced things twice that most people never experience in their entire lives."

"Twice?"

"Anyway, keep in mind that if you make light of emotional wounds, you'll end up with a big nosebleed. When people experience something too much to handle, they can die from the mental shock alone."

"..."

It was when Ian stared at Rahon in silence.

Creak, the bedroom door slowly opened and Millenia appeared. At the same time, Rahon spurted out tea.

"Fuuuh!"

Sleeves and trouser legs that drag no matter how many times she folds them. Collarbones that are clearly visible even when she buttons up her shirt.

The problem was that it looked like a little child wearing his father's clothes, but it wasn't all that cute.

The long neckline and collarbone that looked like water could collect there created a strange atmosphere.

Ian and Rahon quickly turned their heads.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments