ICTFF - Chapter 27 < There Is No Flower With One Leaf (7) >




There is no flower with one leaf (7)

The party of Duke Eldern spent their first night in Adenburg, a city close to the capital, after a half day's journey.

Adenburg was the most popular tourist destination in the empire.

The entire city was beautifully decorated, and the shopping street was especially famous.

It was a great city for first-time travelers, as it had many convenient facilities.

"We will stay here for two days and leave the day after tomorrow morning. I would like to give you a little more time to look around, but the schedule is tight."

Whenever Ian took a short break, he would check on me to make sure I was okay and explain our plans for the future.

I asked him to stop because I was sorry that the trip was delayed because of me, but he wouldn't listen.

'I don't want to be a burden... but it's not easy.'

"You look like my older brother."

"What does that mean?"

"I mean you treat me like a two-year-old child? I know we have a tight schedule. We can leave tomorrow."

A look of regret and sorrow crossed Ian's face.

"Thank you for your understanding. I will take responsibility for guiding you on your way back."

"What are I looking at when I can't even see it? It's really fine, so don't worry about it."

"Let's go to the accommodation. Come this way."

The size of the accommodation Ian had seen was very large.

It was an inn that occupied the largest building on this street and was large enough to accommodate nearly forty people at the same time.

As we entered, the lobby became quiet. The guests who had arrived earlier were looking at us with surprised faces.

The order of the gazes is always the same.

First, they looked at Ian, then they went through the knights of Eldern, and finally, they fixed themselves on me.

People around me who know me don't give me more attention than necessary because they know that I'm sensitive to other people's gaze.

But they were different. They didn't know who I was, so they didn't hesitate to look at me. The anxiety that I had forgotten about came back to me.

"You'd better wear your cloak properly."

At that moment, Ian put the hood of the cloak that was taking off because it was hot on me.

My mind was at ease as my gaze was obscured. I smiled unconsciously and then stopped. There was a strange smell coming from somewhere.

It wasn't Ian's soap smell. It wasn't like a normal person's body odor.

'It's spicy and bitter. What is this?'

It's a smell I clearly remember.

I pretended to fiddle with my cloak and looked around. Of course, there were only unfamiliar faces. I couldn't tell which of them was smelling like this.

In an instant, the strange smell disappeared completely.

I feel strangely uneasy. I'm sure there's a reason why I remember it, but I feel uneasy because I don't know the identity.

"Let's go to another inn. It would be nice if I could rent the entire building."

"Can I ask why?"

"...I have a bad feeling about this."

I should have just said I saw the future. It was an absurd excuse, even to me.

Besides, it wasn't common to find an inn that could accommodate close to forty people. I had a feeling Ian would reject me.

"All right."

"Yes?"

"Do you have any special requirements?"

A voice that was indifferent, without a hint of irritation. Ian didn't even sigh.

"Young Lady?"

"Ah. Well, just a place where we can stay alone is fine. It doesn't matter if it's shabby."

"I'll look for it. Please go back to the carriage."

As soon as we showed signs of leaving, the owner who had been watching us from right in front suddenly intervened.

"Now, wait a minute, what's wrong? Is there something you don't like?"

"We need an inn where we can rent the entire building, but this place seems to have a lot of guests."

The owner's eyes darted back and forth at Ian's answer. It was obvious that nobles and knights would make more money than ordinary travelers. If he did well, he could even get a stamp of approval.

The owner, who had finished calculating, spoke urgently.

"I'll do whatever you want! Just wait a moment and I'll evict all the guests!"

"What should we do, Young Lady?"

"It's rude to the guests. Let's go to another hotel."

"Most of the guests are dining, and only a few are staying overnight. You don't have to worry about it."

I started to worry because the owner was being too proactive.

It was already getting dark. It was better to stay here than to find another place to stay.

"Then you should compensate the guests three times the accommodation fee. I will pay the fee."

"Oh, you don't have to do that... If that makes you feel better, then I will do it."

I handed the necklace to the bowing owner.

"No, this is the seal of the Marquis of Astrod, but how can you, young lady... Are you by any chance the lover of the Marquis of Astrod?"

"He's my older brother." 

"OMG!"

The innkeeper bowed his head with an embarrassed look on his face.

"Hey, Guardian?!"

"If any guest refuses, we will leave. so please do not force them. We will not sit idly by if that happens." 

"Yes, yes, Guardian! I will never force you.

"I would prefer you not call me Guardian. Unless you intend to advertise the inn by letting people know that I am staying here."

"...!"

The innkeeper took a deep breath. He swallowed hard under Ian's sharp gaze. 

"Oh, I understand."

It was natural that guests were dissatisfied with the sudden eviction.

However, when we paid three times the amount of the accommodation fee, they happily vacated the rooms. Not a single person insisted on staying.

Am I being overly sensitive again?

It seemed like a waste of time. But by then the room had already been roughly cleaned up.

I went into the room with Nadia.

As I was leaning back on the sofa, feeling listless after eating dinner, Nadia started massaging my thighs.

"Ugh, it hurts. Gently!"

"Oh my, your legs are stiff as rocks. Just hold on for a little longer. If you don't want to suffer tomorrow, you have to loosen them up now."

When Nadia was sleeping, it was so painful that I would flinch, but after a while, I felt better.

I lay down on the sofa with a lazy sigh.

"I really had fun today."

"What fun was there in not even getting out of the carriage?"

"I don't know. It's fun just watching the scenery passing by."

"...."

The flying butterflies were also amazing. Even though I clearly saw them when my eyesight was still intact, they felt new and I couldn't take my eyes off them.

Is it because it's my first trip in life?

When I think about it, for me, travel was all about the road to the land of death in my past life.

Just then, someone knocked on the guest room door. Nadia quickly got up and checked for visitors.

"Miss, the little Duke has arrived."

Let's straighten up. Nadia opened the door.

Ian was dressed lightly, his uniform off. His hair was damp as if he had just washed it.

"Would you like to take a walk?" 

"Right now?"

"It's such a nice day to just stay inside."

It was something I said to him a few days ago at a dinner party when I suggested he take a walk. I smiled and held out my hand to him.

As it was a high-class inn, the courtyard was quite spacious.

The knights of Eldern gathered in small groups to enjoy a break, but they disappeared as quickly as we appeared.

Ian and I walked through the quiet courtyard.

The scent of Ian's soap was overshadowed by the strong scent of roses. What a pity. I opened my mouth, running my hand through my hair.

"You were in trouble earlier because of me."

"A moment ago?"

"Because I was stubborn."

"Oh, that's what you mean."

He cocked his eyebrows nonchalantly, a hint that he hadn't even considered.

I thought you called me here on purpose because something was bothering you with the innkeeper, but I guess not.

'Were you really just going to take a walk?'

My face heated up in embarrassment. Thank goodness it was dark.

"I told you back then that I had a bad feeling about it."

"Yes."

"Actually. I don't know if I'm becoming neurotic again."

"Neurotic?"

"Because I have a sensitive sense of smell and hearing, I often tire out the people around me. That's a neurosis."

Ian stopped walking. A warm breeze blew past us.

"Who is he?"

"Yes?"

"The person who said that to Young Lady."

"..."

"He is the most foolish person in the world. Don't come near him."

"Why do you think so?"

"The 'first walker' is the one who stands at the front and is the first to detect danger. It's like a search party in the military. In a search party, the more sensitive you are, the more capable you are."

"I've never heard of such a story. Last time, you asked the 'Savior' to fix my eyes, but you have many strange ideas, little Duke. It's interesting."

He looked at me intently.

"Then smile."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments